Forum » FFXI » Odyssey » The Odyssey - || Strategy and Discussion ||
The Odyssey - || Strategy and Discussion ||
First Page 2 3 ... 81 82 83 ... 238 239 240
 Asura.Bixbite
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Bixbite 2021-02-16 04:57:21
Link | Quote | Reply

If you enter Goal and leave after killing 1 NM do you keep the 2 Mogphone II Key items? Then you just need one more to Reenter?
 Asura.Wotasu
user: Wotasu
By Asura.Wotasu 2021-02-16 04:58:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bixbite said: »
If you enter Goal and leave after killing 1 NM do you keep the 2 Mogphone II Key items? Then you just need one more to Reenter?
Yes.
[+]
By Guyford 2021-02-16 16:11:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Do we have info on the weaknesses of the T2s? I need to go back and do a bunch of them on + to start popping higher tier t3s. I know pig and mata are weak to blunt, bird is weak to pierce. Are plant/grasshopper slash and craklaw magic?
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2021-02-16 19:28:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Martel said: »
TLDR: Maintain high magic evasion during Fetter spam and you'll probably live. This means either, Not casting during fetter spam, or casting in meva hybrid casting sets with disgustingly low cure+/enmity/etc. And maybe pop a panacea for that DoT so the whm can focus on cures.
Following up on this. I kept my Meva up during some fetter spam, and survived just fine. But daaamn they spam fast after awhile.
 Asura.Botosi
user: Botosi
By Asura.Botosi 2021-02-16 20:24:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone farm segments using a RDM or GEO in the party? One of my chars is only those 2 jobs and it's making it hard to farm her segments. Thinking about gearing WHM on a 3rd char :/
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2021-02-16 20:31:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Seems like RUN DD DD COR WHM BRD is the go to setup for segment farming.

Soul voice is insanely powerful, with a Wild card you can almost full time 5 song SV, been pre-buffing entry with naturalist roll and a tabula perp regen5 that lasts 25ish minutes
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-02-16 22:43:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Toralin said: »
RUN DD DD COR WHM BRD

If I had to build a perfect party for Segments in Sheol C, it would be

RUN
DRK*
MNK*
COR (DP, Savage Blade, Last Stand)
BRD (Rudra's, Savage Blade)
WHM

This covers blunt, slashing, and piercing resistant monsters, but also brings COR to basically one-shot Leaden monsters that don't resist darkness. You can sub either job with a THF who can alternate slashing or piercing, but killspeed will be a little slower with slightly better rewards and a chance to pick boxes. Or you can sub either of the DDs out for another heavy DD like WAR or SAM (both can use multiple weapon types (blunt, piercing, slashing)), since both DRK + MNK can effectively only use one weapon type. MNK covers Mantra for the group, and DRK can sport a ton of HP and even mini pull certain groups with Dread Spikes up. I have found that jobs with less HP/defense tend to get destroyed if they are not frequently using hybrid set.

Of course, all of this is dependent on luck and having good, solid players. You can hit 6k+ if your group is very well put together, but you can't reasonably sustain that kind of outcome every time, since so many things vary.
 Bismarck.Amancalledhero
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Amancalledhero 2021-02-17 00:37:17
Link | Quote | Reply

What have you guys been averaging per run?
We have been running, Pld, Cor, Whm, Brd, DPS(SAM), DPS. Been getting around 6k per runs/910k gil(capped) doings full halo kills and trash mobs. Pretty much pick and choose which stuff we want to kill and timing out when to go up and such then to end point.
 Bismarck.Ringoko
user: appleboy
By Bismarck.Ringoko 2021-02-17 01:08:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Amancalledhero said: »
We have been running, Pld, Cor, Whm, Brd, DPS(SAM), DPS. Been getting around 6k per runs/910k gil(capped) doings full halo kills and trash mobs. Pretty much pick and choose which stuff we want to kill and timing out when to go up and such then to end point.

Here's a video of one of our runs:
YouTube Video Placeholder

In this late night run, we took 2 sams but, we generally run with a fantastic THF and one equally fantastic SAM. We don't have the THF key anything, we use izzat for that on the last floor. If you have high MM and are lucky with the top floor chests, it's an additional 500+ segments.

A minor correction to Hero's claim above, we clear 2 halos without fail and if the other 2 fall into place, we do them as well but our runs are generally two halos + lots of trash. The results are generally the same. Never considered using 1 hours, so maybe we can get even more in the future.

Ody lets you be pretty flexible when it comes to the jobs you can take... Sure, you can take a job like DRK or MNK that excel at a single type of damage type but their damage output on some trash is going to be absolute garbage. What's it matter if your damage per WS is 30-40k on some things while sub 10k on others? Its a DPS/time loss.

Though, I am partial to PLD over RUN in all of Ody. AFAIC, RUN is hot garbage for ody Sheol A-Gaol :x
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-02-17 01:48:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Our typical Sheol C setup when purely focused on segments is WAR x2, COR x2, BRD, WHM. This allows everyone to get buffed for what they do best, have 2 people capable of blowing Leaden-weak mobs up easily, and WARs can change weapon type so efficiently to avoid "bad" damage types. Both CORs are pretty much decked so can also swap weapon types on the fly, albeit not with as good of results as the WARs of course.

Doing this style, we simply farm nostos mobs and average around 4k segments on a run, and gil return around 700k.

We also have done run styles where the plan was to add 2 circles and 1-2 popped NMs into the mix. For those, we really enjoy RUN, WAR, COR, BRD, WHM, SMN. Still solid damage if your COR is up to snuff and your RUN has DD sets/weaponry for fast nostos killing, but now there's a tank present when wanted for the NMs.

SMN is in an interesting place for this content, as they can engage/kill a circle without aggroing the Agon monsters, their Hastega II frees up the need for 2 marches from the BRD, and they bring some unique buffs to the picture. In a spot with a Nostos Family+Circle, we'll pick off the Nostos with single target claiming, everyone grabbing their own mob, while the SMN kills the circle, usually resulting in the Agon mobs then becoming targetable just as we finish the Nostos, and then can safely pull smaller groups of those.

This setup, with 2 circles and 1 NM, for our group saw about 3200 segments, 550k gil average, but many more lustreless wings due to individual box rewards as well as NM direct drop boxes.
 Bismarck.Amancalledhero
By Bismarck.Amancalledhero 2021-02-17 02:19:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like we did 3, I was trying to say fully clear off halo/mobs XD not all 4 floors.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-02-17 03:00:48
Link | Quote | Reply

That's a very good run in the video and what others can use to model after. Our runs are sometimes similar but we don't travel towards the end, but rather add 2-3 extra NMs and then spend the izzat on possible aurum's (at the time we were capping MM from that zone). The Gil rewards at the end was a nice bonus if you make an effort to travel towards it along the run, but this is usually only possible with a consistent group. Most pug I have done aggro along the way and screw the group out of the rewards, so we ditched that. When I finish up with Sheol B runs, I'll start adding the Gil reward to my Sheol c group. It does depend a lot on some luck and good teamwork.

Between rune and paladin, they are somewhat similar. Run adds a little more damage and that's what I play, so it's about the same as having Majesty pld for support, though yours didn't really need to engage.

Something I noticed; you got all really decent and easy monster groups in this video. Leeches, fish, tigers, rabbits etc. The only bad group was slime which you skipped, but you didn't run into any undead (or other slashing resistant monsters) besides qutrub, which are super squishy anyways. Or any annoying groups like imps soulflayers or Rams/manticore. One of the Sam's did switch to shining one for Lamia which is smart. Some maps load nothing but undead, skeletons and ghouls, which resist all but blunt I believe, slowing you down. Two Sam's works really well overall but it's not always that smooth, which is why I suggested bringing different damage types to cover all of the bases.

You really did a good job picking and choosing what you wanted to fight, which I think is very important for saving time in there.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-02-17 10:30:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bravo for that video on multiple fronts- definitely going to be implementing some of your concepts asap.

Regarding any "well, they got lucky on mobs"- remember this group doesn't even touch about half of floor 3 or more for what I would take is primarily time reasons. No one is saying that people should hope to kill EVERY family in Sheol C- you're going to skip some merely based on time allowed in zone even if every family was the same mob and had zero resistances. Might as well know your foe, and skip the ones that will be a bigger issue than just skipping for time only. On this run, it appears to me they just hit the families they're ok with killing early vs seeing 3 straight bad families a group would want to avoid. I know the group I run with has had runs where it feels like shitty mob family after shitty mob family, and some runs where its a lot of fodder.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-02-17 14:19:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I was moreso acknowledging how intelligently that was run, by selecting the quickest monsters to fight to maximize their segments/time. My point about the monsters types having a luck factor circles back to my point a few posts ago about my reasoning for using different weapon types. This video is just another way to do it, just ignore the monsters that resist the weapons your party is using.
[+]
By Guyford 2021-02-18 00:02:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Has anyone checked if Tomahawk works on the gaol NMs?
Ongo had 50% resistance to rdm enspell and appeared to have 50% resistance to all nukes despite it being his weakness. If tomahawk reduced this by 25%, and the other resistances as well, a war might be really good for this setup.
The war could spam scs and get 75 seconds of tomahawk every 3 minutes.
By SimonSes 2021-02-18 01:32:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Guyford said: »
Ongo had 50% resistance to rdm enspell and appeared to have 50% resistance to all nukes despite it being his weakness. If tomahawk reduced this by 25%, and the other resistances as well, a war might be really good for this setup.

Tomahawk is not Rayke :P It works for physical resistance not for magical.
 Bismarck.Amancalledhero
By Bismarck.Amancalledhero 2021-02-18 01:56:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
That's a very good run in the video and what others can use to model after. Our runs are sometimes similar but we don't travel towards the end, but rather add 2-3 extra NMs and then spend the izzat on possible aurum's (at the time we were capping MM from that zone). The Gil rewards at the end was a nice bonus if you make an effort to travel towards it along the run, but this is usually only possible with a consistent group. Most pug I have done aggro along the way and screw the group out of the rewards, so we ditched that. When I finish up with Sheol B runs, I'll start adding the Gil reward to my Sheol c group. It does depend a lot on some luck and good teamwork.

Between rune and paladin, they are somewhat similar. Run adds a little more damage and that's what I play, so it's about the same as having Majesty pld for support, though yours didn't really need to engage.

Something I noticed; you got all really decent and easy monster groups in this video. Leeches, fish, tigers, rabbits etc. The only bad group was slime which you skipped, but you didn't run into any undead (or other slashing resistant monsters) besides qutrub, which are super squishy anyways. Or any annoying groups like imps soulflayers or Rams/manticore. One of the Sam's did switch to shining one for Lamia which is smart. Some maps load nothing but undead, skeletons and ghouls, which resist all but blunt I believe, slowing you down. Two Sam's works really well overall but it's not always that smooth, which is why I suggested bringing different damage types to cover all of the bases.

You really did a good job picking and choosing what you wanted to fight, which I think is very important for saving time in there.

Undead mobs are squishy as well. What we do is, on PLD, you would banishga to reduce their dmg resistance then lullaby. Repeat after 30secs if needed.
 Bismarck.Ringoko
user: appleboy
By Bismarck.Ringoko 2021-02-18 02:06:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »

Undead mobs are squishy as well. What we do is, on PLD, you would banishga to reduce their dmg resistance then lullaby. Repeat after 30secs if needed.

Can also swap to Armageddon, tripleshot, and decimate the skeletons from afar using Wildfire. It's pretty fun! Two back to back wildfires kill skeletons and Qutrubs.
[+]
By Guyford 2021-02-18 02:22:40
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »

Tomahawk is not Rayke :P It works for physical resistance not for magical.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Tomahawk_(Ability)
Wiki says it works for magical resistance as well

Edit: The link didn't work but you can find it.
By SimonSes 2021-02-18 04:48:31
Link | Quote | Reply

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Tomahawk_(Ability)
Wiki says it works for magical resistance as well

Edit: The link didn't work but you can find it.

Hmmm its hard to tell if that will work. It looks more like Tomahawk working for some special magic shield and not for natural magic resistance. I dont think SDT can be affected by Tomahawk like it can be with Rayke. Worth to try I guess.
 Lakshmi.Avereith
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2021-02-18 05:52:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I just finished clearing t1 mobs yesterday, are there strategies/descriptions of t2 mobs anywhere? Don't feel like wasting my segments like I did by fighting the umbril without knowing it had aoe doom, etc
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-02-18 06:30:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ringoko said: »

Here's a video of one of our runs:

In this late night run, we took 2 sams but, we generally run with a fantastic THF and one equally fantastic SAM. We don't have the THF key anything, we use izzat for that on the last floor. If you have high MM and are lucky with the top floor chests, it's an additional 500+ segments.

A minor correction to Hero's claim above, we clear 2 halos without fail and if the other 2 fall into place, we do them as well but our runs are generally two halos + lots of trash. The results are generally the same. Never considered using 1 hours, so maybe we can get even more in the future.

Ody lets you be pretty flexible when it comes to the jobs you can take... Sure, you can take a job like DRK or MNK that excel at a single type of damage type but their damage output on some trash is going to be absolute garbage. What's it matter if your damage per WS is 30-40k on some things while sub 10k on others? Its a DPS/time loss.

Though, I am partial to PLD over RUN in all of Ody. AFAIC, RUN is hot garbage for ody Sheol A-Gaol :x

Made a few changes to our typical segment farming based on this video and the ensuing discussion. Added a true hate center via PLD, and in the first two runs switching to this style added ~700-1000 segments over our usual return (2nd run was ~5k segments). And we all saw more potential doing that vs avoiding one. No need to get fancy with the Halos- just send your turtle in there to do turtle things.
[+]
 Asura.Toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2021-02-18 07:14:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone clearing "high" veng t3 15+ curious on some setups
By SimonSes 2021-02-18 07:53:05
Link | Quote | Reply

AFIAK there was no confirmation that anything above V15 exists. Do you have such confirmation?
 Asura.Toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2021-02-18 08:00:42
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »

AFIAK there was no confirmation that anything above V15 exists. Do you have such confirmation?
Been clearing ven5 so ven10 unlocked but we haven't even tried to do a ven10. So no, I have no confirmation just trying to efficiently clear as high as we are able for RP farming
By Kilogram 2021-02-18 08:54:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Do we have info on the weaknesses of the T2s? I need to go back and do a bunch of them on + to start popping higher tier t3s. I know pig and mata are weak to blunt, bird is weak to pierce. Are plant/grasshopper slash and craklaw magic?
bumping for visibliity
By Masunasu 2021-02-18 09:01:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Kilogram said: »
bumping for visibliity

I usually don't like to bash people for not searching but this isn't that hard...only 9 pages back:

Carbuncle.Papesse said: »
We killed all Veng+15 bosses except Craklaw. With the exception of Marmokrebs, none of them seemed extremely hard with a full party despite the terrible lag. We used PUP tank on all but Umbril with Dirge/Pacifying Ruby for hate control.
Umbril was weak to Earth / Darkness SC, Matamata weak to Blunt, Chapuli weak to Slashing, Snapweed weak to Wind, Craklaw weak to Thunder, Flutterini/Tulfaire weak to Piercing.
[+]
By Kilogram 2021-02-18 09:24:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Masunasu said: »
Kilogram said: »
bumping for visibliity

I usually don't like to bash people for not searching but this isn't that hard...only 9 pages back:

Carbuncle.Papesse said: »
We killed all Veng+15 bosses except Craklaw. With the exception of Marmokrebs, none of them seemed extremely hard with a full party despite the terrible lag. We used PUP tank on all but Umbril with Dirge/Pacifying Ruby for hate control.
Umbril was weak to Earth / Darkness SC, Matamata weak to Blunt, Chapuli weak to Slashing, Snapweed weak to Wind, Craklaw weak to Thunder, Flutterini/Tulfaire weak to Piercing.

thanks
 Phoenix.Logical
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Logical 2021-02-18 11:54:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Really enjoying this new content from SE. Great challenge. Down goes Xivioso! Coming for you next Arebati!

[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-02-18 12:01:30
Link | Quote | Reply

All I want to know is how you managed to not get any lag the entire fight.
First Page 2 3 ... 81 82 83 ... 238 239 240