The Odyssey - || Strategy and Discussion ||
First Page 2 3 ... 53 54 55 ... 238 239 240
 Siren.Codegen
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Genome
By Siren.Codegen 2020-09-04 22:10:03
Link | Quote | Reply

more mimics too. Also I got MM7 in B from 6 NMs at 3 kills each, so I think that's the main pattern in B.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-09-04 22:40:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Ticktick said: »
do thief's tools pop more mimics than living keys or just require more keys to get the result?

To answer this accurately, we would need to know if the mimic spawn rate from lockpick failures is directly related to the key used or if it is a flat value given to all chests, coffers, and strongboxes. We know that the keys themselves have varying levels of success, but that doesn't mean the key influences the rate of mimic spawns, just the rate of failures (which indirectly produce more or less chances at mimics). I don't know that anybody has ever determined if mimic spawn comes from chest type or key used. That would be kind of impossible to test.
By soralin 2020-09-04 23:18:44
Link | Quote | Reply

My data is still lacking a bit but here's what I have so far.

As you can see by the error values on the Skeleton Key data, its still needing a decent bit more (I'd like to get at least 6 more runs with skeleton keys)

But even already the difference is substantial.

Note that "Chest upgrade rate" is not including mimic chance, so a 10% mimic chance and 10% upgrade chance actually means a 9% chance to upgrade from Chest>Coffer, for example (10% Mimic, 81% nothing, 9% coffer upgrade)

So from the data Im seeing 3 things, one kind of expect but nice to know, one not surprising, the other startling and unexpected.

First: Mimic odds seem to be about 15~16% with living keys on chests, vs only about 9~10% with Skeleton keys.

Two: The odds of upgrading from a Chest>Coffer after passing the mimic check do not seem to be affected by key choice. But since the odds of getting a mimic are lower, this does net you a higher odd total of getting a coffer (since you are more likely to pass the "mimic check")

Three: This is the one that caught me off guard though. Lusterless box rates seem to be much higher with skeleton keys

The sample size is already plenty high enough to mark an extremely clear trend that the drop rates for Living Key vs Skeleton key on chests are:

Living Key
  • Hides: 78%

• Boxes: 22%

Skeleton Key
  • Hides: 70%

• Boxes: 30%

[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-09-04 23:32:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Fantastic data Soralin
[+]
By soralin 2020-09-04 23:39:28
Link | Quote | Reply

What I am sad about is the fact its almost definite that farming Sheol C will be more profitable, and I dont want to mix up my Sheol C data with B, so I am scrambling to try and get my last couple skeleton key runs squeezed in before Sheol C drops to get any bits of data I possibly can.

Once Sheol C drops though I think Ill prolly call it a day and just roll with those roughly confirmed rates.

The real question is: Considering Skeleton Keys are 300k a stack, vs like 60k/stack for living keys, BUT I use like 10 stacks of living keys vs like 5 Skeleton keys, is it even work it?

Seems to be about 1.5mil cost for Skeleton keys/run, vs 600k or so for living keys. So 900k more in costs, but in return I get more loot.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-09-04 23:47:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I was about to ask about the old lockpick theory that the level of the enemies in the area determine the success rate of the chests. Given that sheol has different floors and monster levels, that might not actually be a far-fetched idea. But terrible to test so I digress.

About skeleton keys, what I was doing was simply using my living keys for chests, and saving skeleton keys for coffers and aurum strongboxes. Because I can afford to have a chest turn into a mimic but I'd rather have best odds when facing a coffer or strongbox since a large box or two from strongbox is worth far more than several chests/coffers, and succeeding at upgrading coffers vs a mimic is important for the best net haul. Since you can farm 5 skeleton keys once a week via quest and coffers/strongbox upgrade are so rare on thief to begin with, you can save Skeleton keys solely for the "important" boxes and just use living for chests. you won't run through nearly as many skeleton keys doing it that way

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By soralin 2020-09-05 03:27:30
Link | Quote | Reply

endxen said: »
I've found that it hasn't mattered on tools or keys used. Notice some runs that thief tools work better than skeleton keys. Some runs living keys are better. The averages on keys used to mimics has been about the same, not much difference.

My data like 3 posts up indicates otherwise. You might want to take a look at it.
[+]
 Sylph.Ticktick
Server: Sylph
user: mofat
By Sylph.Ticktick 2020-09-05 17:16:07
Link | Quote | Reply

doesn't look like you're tracking the number of keys used to open a chest
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By soralin 2020-09-05 20:34:14
Link | Quote | Reply

My data is much larger than yours

Lets see it, its good for us to all share our data with each other.

You got a google sheet with it?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jukiro
Server: Ragnarok
user: ikariiiii
By Ragnarok.Jukiro 2020-09-06 17:43:17
Link | Quote | Reply

My data doesn't
*source needed*
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-09-06 20:16:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Ticktick said: »
doesn't look like you're tracking the number of keys used to open a chest

Bumping this

Have either of your tracked the average number of tool use per chest/(cost)? Thief's/Living/Skeleton

Just wondering since we will be going into C in a few days, might be good to have something to compare it against.
By soralin 2020-09-06 20:20:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I have not, unfortunately.
 Siren.Codegen
Server: Siren
user: Genome
By Siren.Codegen 2020-09-07 20:21:09
Link | Quote | Reply

btw someone with bg-wiki edit should really fix the odyssey page, it still says incorrect things like mastery is based on a total point system, which is clearly not the case.
Even in B i got 3 mastery levels (from 5 to 8) back to back one in each run just by killing 3 NMs each time that I had set up to be at the threshold for leveling up.
By Felgarr 2020-09-07 20:58:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Codegen said: »
btw someone with bg-wiki edit should really fix the odyssey page, it still says incorrect things like mastery is based on a total point system, which is clearly not the case.
Even in B i got 3 mastery levels (from 5 to 8) back to back one in each run just by killing 3 NMs each time that I had set up to be at the threshold for leveling up.

Sir, anyone can login to BGWiki and make those changes and I strongly recommend you do it. Yes, YOU. You seem knowledgeable and besides, if you mess up, your changes will be reverted by a BGWiki Editor. Be the change you seek.
[+]
 Bismarck.Punchmage
Server: Bismarck
user: Homsar
By Bismarck.Punchmage 2020-09-10 01:46:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Only 4 floors for Sheol C, Aht Urhgan Beastman, Halos on all 4 floors.
By soralin 2020-09-10 02:23:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Am I crazy or is there only translocators on Floors 1 and 2? I finished and then spent time running around Floor 3 and 4 expecting to see one more, considering the first two were basically right at the start, maybe I missed one...?
By alamihgo 2020-09-10 02:23:31
Link | Quote | Reply

OdyC findings:

4 floors. Teleporters on floors 1 and 2. Otherworldly Vortex (exit) on 4. Agon on each floor - Mamool, Lamia, Trolls - with HNM on fourth floor Agon.

Typical UNM spawn on each floor and 3 chests; however, if mimic detects person who spawned it is out of 30' at any time it will self-destruct, dealing max damage to the entire I'm just kidding it's the same as A and B. Got MM level from first coffer.

7k gil per Nostos.

Spawned Kurmajara (Tolba UNM) on floor 1. Extremely easy encounter; no spells, just typical adamantoise TP moves. AAEV tanked with ease. Invincible SP followed by hate lock-on to me. I had just used TA-Rudra on AAEV, so either I botched the TA or the gimmick is 30s of forced enmity on the player who spawned/random player.
[+]
 Phoenix.Logical
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Logical 2020-09-10 07:45:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice, thanks for the info everyone. Making vid's now. Hoping to release vid with maps, locations of vortex's etc in next hour or two... standby.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-09-10 07:52:17
Link | Quote | Reply

alamihgo said: »
dealing max damage to the entire
To the entire what? Entire party? Entire floor? Entire area? o.o
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2020-09-10 07:54:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Entire server.
[+]
By SimonSes 2020-09-10 08:07:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »
Entire server.
It actually blows up your PC too.

- written on smartphone
 Phoenix.Logical
By Phoenix.Logical 2020-09-10 08:14:42
Link | Quote | Reply

BEWARE OF CHIGOES!!!! LOL

I saw an area of beastmen that looked to be by themselves. I was like oh cool, don't have to kill the Nostros... I went to grab the Agon and then suddently like 10 what I swear were invisible Chigoe's appeared and ... well yea lol

Thankfully this was at the end of my first run when I was playing around but damn! Watch that floor closely!
By Pantafernando 2020-09-10 08:23:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe this is a good thing given chigoes are so squishy?

Easy 70k/2 izzats?
 Phoenix.Logical
By Phoenix.Logical 2020-09-10 08:50:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
Maybe this is a good thing given chigoes are so squishy?

Easy 70k/2 izzats?

Definitely could be! I didn't have a chance to try to take them out in second run. Will try this week. I will say they were hitting hard, crits for over 500 dmg... but one at a time they shouldn't be hard. Just all at once while taking on a Agon they sucked lol
 Phoenix.Logical
By Phoenix.Logical 2020-09-10 08:50:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I just took on Tumult Curator in Run 2 and beat him solo on Ninja. Nm's aren't that hard here... I may argue even easier then some of the Sheol B NM's. Video up soon.

A LOL... in the Moogle log... it says NM4 and some japaneese symbols instead of the NM's name I beat.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2020-09-10 09:06:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I popped the Khimaira, Bygul, and he's very nasty. He seems to have an ungodly amount of STP or Regain, and loves to spam Tourbillon, which hits trusts VERY hard and gives a big defense down to make later ones hit even harder.
 Phoenix.Logical
By Phoenix.Logical 2020-09-10 09:28:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »
I popped the Khimaira, Bygul, and he's very nasty. He seems to have an ungodly amount of STP or Regain, and loves to spam Tourbillon, which hits trusts VERY hard and gives a big defense down to make later ones hit even harder.

Yes Tumult as well seemed to spam TP moves much quicker then unusual. Thanksfully none were overly nasty... most in the 500-900 AOE Damage range but he did spike to like 1500 AOE at one point and took our Koru.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2020-09-10 11:08:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Just popped and killed Wayra Tata, the Hydra. He was also nasty, but more in the "super annoying" way than in Bygul's "I'm going to mercilessly slaughter your trusts, and then you" way. Naturally, he spammed Polar Bulwark (I saw it 5 or 6 times) and Trembling. He also had a tendency to turn to you right before using Polar Blast, which let to annoying positioning.

At about 60%, he used Invincible, which seemed to also make him reset hate. As a result, hate went weird since I couldn't damage him, and he killed 2 of my backline trusts before I got him back under control, which complicated the rest of the fight. The battle took a ridiculous 8 minutes or so.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 53 54 55 ... 238 239 240