The Odyssey - || Strategy and Discussion ||
First Page 2 3 ... 176 177 178 ... 238 239 240
 Asura.Geriond
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2022-03-10 21:45:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Or Soul Enslavement overwriting Endark and Auspice (but Blood Weapon doesn't).
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-03-10 23:03:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »
The Enspell/Auspice overwrite system does make a little sense to me at least- the Soul Enslavement part, though- zero logic behind it.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-03-10 23:54:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Wind's Blessing, One For All, and Shining Ruby overwriting Rampart is an artifact of Rampart previously being a shitty (the shittiest in fact) magic shield and it was never addressed when they changed it into a useful ability (in the same patch that Siren dropped I think?)
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2022-03-11 03:51:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »
Or Auspice overwriting Enspells tier1 and 2

I mean the list could go on but I don't really see how this is a specific SMN issue or that it needs to be absolutely addressed to make SMN a viable buffer in pts.

Could discuss SMN would benefit from some changes to enhance its pt buffing potential but I wouldn't really say that this is the specific thing to tackle.
I mean don't get me wrong guys, I wouldn't mind if they decided to make all the SMN buffs exclusive and using their own unique buff slot, I'm just saying that it's not the key aspect in the initial discussion.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-03-11 03:57:31
Link | Quote | Reply

setting fenrir's impact to full potency/duration would be a nice start
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2022-03-11 04:08:37
Link | Quote | Reply

How about they also make Impact a spell you can learn instead of tying it into an old level 90 cloak or an incredibly rare ilevel one.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-03-11 11:01:35
Link | Quote | Reply

They shouldn't tie spells to gear, but if they must, they shouldn't be any rarer than Daybreak is. That club is uncommon enough that you have to farm Lilith HTBF several times to get it, but not nearly rare enough to cause you to lose motivation and give up. Dispelga isn't totally game-altering anyways, though very useful. Impact is far more powerful, so I kind of get the idea of making it "rare", but not to the extent Crepuscular Cloak is. Even the Abyssea version wasn't this difficult to obtain.
[+]
By Lederic 2022-03-14 11:27:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there anyway to efficiently switch targets as a DD in a seg farm? I feel like every time I switch targets it targets the furthest mob or sometimes a mob that isnt even pulled. What's the best way to switch targets with lowest animation delay?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-03-14 11:59:05
Link | Quote | Reply

It's the most annoying aspect of this game and I wish there was an addon that instantly could swap your target the exact moment a monster died. Using some sort of distance/facing algorithm (anything within 5' in your conal auto switches, ignores anything beyond that unless it's the only target left).

To answer your question, there is no "best way", so I just make it a habit of always re-targeting after every single monster kill, after the game autotargets for me. The moment it dies, I retarget to an unlikely target/direction, based on what I think the other DDs in my party will target. Keep in mind if all of the DDs are facing the same direction, it's likely everyone will target the same monster, which is another annoyance. So sometimes, it's a good idea to fight facing a different direction from the other DDs, so that you increase the likelihood that you don't target something someone else will be auto-targeting. Also, it saves you the trouble of having to do it manually, though this doesn't solve the game picking a monster far away.

tl;dr - basically, you have to deal with the crappy manual targeting system
 Asura.Jokes
user: JLB1
By Asura.Jokes 2022-03-14 12:03:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Lederic said: »
Is there anyway to efficiently switch targets as a DD in a seg farm? I feel like every time I switch targets it targets the furthest mob or sometimes a mob that isnt even pulled. What's the best way to switch targets with lowest animation delay?

Create a hotkey/macro for your ws to <bt>. Then go to change switch targets and pick the mob you want to move on to. press the WS hotkey (to kill your existing mob) and then confirm change target just after.

If you use a gearswap with an autows function you can turn that on and change target once you get 1k tp to WS and it will switch to that next mob whilst also WS and killing your current target.
By SimonSes 2022-03-15 02:51:19
Link | Quote | Reply

We tried to use SMN several times against Arebati and something doesn't work. We had RUN tank and COR and RNG DD. I was doing Pacifying Ruby spam on RNG entire fight (probably like 30+ times in total), including like 10 usage under Conduit around 60% HP and RNG still pulled hate frequently around 20% HP (I was keep PRing him every 20-50 sec after conduit, including some doubles with Apogee). Even after loosing hate our RUN did Sforzo and RNG pulled hate again 20 sec later after getting another Pacifying Ruby too. All that with SV Dirge too.

Either Ruby doesn't work or there is some other hate mechanic here that screwing with us.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By SimonSes 2022-03-15 03:59:24
Link | Quote | Reply

KujahFoxfire said: »
How do others feel about some auras making fights basically unwinnable?

Mboze is actually very easy. You just need to TP on add, not on Mboze.

Our setup was RUN, BRD, COR, BST(Aymur), WHM, DRK

You start with DRK on Mboze, you do initial Torcleaver, then another one, then BST TP drainkiss, then you TP a little more and use Soul Enslavement (COR joins the fight at this point). During SE you push as close to 75% as possible. If you don't reach it, then DRK needs to turn once or twice (COR stops in moment SE wears off) and let BST TP drainkiss. When Add spawns, RUN starts to tank it. COR, BRD and DRK all TP on add and WS on Mboze with 3000TP Torc or Savage. Aymur BST alone is enough to reset TP if Mboze is only WSed by 3 people like that. At 30% you reapply Killer Instinct and possibly buffs (rolls might be wearing off soon) and at 25% you start Unleash. During Unleash DRK, COR, BRD can still all WS Mboze without problem. After Unleash COR and BRD stop damage and DRK finishes Mboze still TPing on add. No luck is involved here, but BST might need Aymur. If you get lucky Wild Card, then it becomes super easy with 2x Unleash at the end. This setup kinda requires a perfect execution and good feel of Mboze TP at first 25%, before add spawns, but..

..This setup is not optimal. We only used it, because we lack optimal jobs on right people. Optimal setup is BLU instead of WHM. BLU main cure, adds buffs/debuffs and damage and resets TP. BST no longer needs Aymur with BLU helping with TP reset and you can keep both DRK and BLU WSing under 25% without Unleash. Just one important thing, everyone need to have few stacks of remedy to take care of paralyze, because you don't have paralyna. PLD would also be better than RUN to tank add, but we only had RUN available. This setup with BLU is really easy and probably makes Mboze one of the easiest A3 NMs. Requires no luck at all.

Also we had no problem with DRK getting hit with spells that hard, but afaik BLU can also silence Mboze for a really long time, so why not take advantage of it?

Post deleted by User.
By SimonSes 2022-03-15 04:52:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I do understand the strat you have posted, but I feel my point still stands that the auras feel a little over tuned. The adds become almost unsleepable with Macc down and BLU goes from a 95% land rate to a 95% miss rate on debuffs, Atk down is near halfing ws damage, and any good RUN/Tank is getitng eaten alive by an Mdef/meva down aura. I say this as a more general issue across the V20s, not just Mboze.

I think the only aura that you can't easily overcome is really Magic attack down at V20 Ongo. Everything else seems doable, but some things give some troubles.

For Magic accuracy down aura, do you put Threnody on add and Nitro SV Threnody on Mboze (SV Threnody is like -400 magic evasion and with NITRO and Clarion it lasts for a really long time)? Remember that BRD should put songs up with SV/Clarion at start, but don't use NITRO. You should use NITRO after engaging to apply all debuffs you want and reapply buff songs to party.

For Attack down aura you can counter it with % attack buffs like Chaos and Fury, its barely noticeable then.

Def down aura is probably the worst if you plan to tank the add, but it's usually mostly a problem on Arebati and Ngai.

Generally most of the auras seems like they mostly affects people that want to use not optimal setups or don't have optimal gear (like DT cure sets on WHM for example).

For me more random than auras seem to be things like Xevioso one shooting people with TP moves doing more than their max HP (when they are in 50%DT and having Carol and Sherzo) or RNG taking hate after being hit with Pacifying Ruby 30+ times regularly during 12 min fight.

Post deleted by User.
By SimonSes 2022-03-15 06:22:23
Link | Quote | Reply

The issue we found with Macc down aura on Mboze was that we couldn't reapply threnody after it wore and aura went up. We would SV the first one on pull with the rest of the SV songs as you said, but when it wore after aura was up, it would never go back on. Outside of Stymie the add would be unsleepable under any circumstances.

That's what Troubadour is for and that's why you shouldn't use it before pull. Troubadour pretty much makes debuff stick almost always (95% probably). You also use it first time to prolong duration. Assuming Mboze has 30% Resist rank against wind, I think SV/Clarion Troubadour Threnody lasts for almost 6 minutes (50% resist), if you actually have RUN you can use Rayke to push it to almost 12 minutes. If you don't have RUN, you can use Random Deal -> Wild Card -> Random Deal to get few Troubadours during the fight. You can use Marcato for next uses too. It's not that strong as SV, but still -300 magic evasion and should lasts for ~5minutes. Overall you will only need to reapply it once (or not even that with RUN).

Aura is something you should adapt too and you should prepare for the worst aura possible, or you can ignore it and just count on having a good one. With party setup I posted for Mboze, you will destroy Mboze well below timer and Attack down aura will only make fight longer, but not unwinnable. You should put extra focus to make lucky or 11 CC Chaos roll and possibly Random deal and redo rolls if you got low roll and you got Attack down aura. Reapply def down whenever it goes down. You have way too much damage with the above setup anyway.

I can see Attack down aura being a problem if you count on luck based strategy of doing damage only during Unleash+SoulEnslavement below 25% and only with DRK, but it's your choice to use luck based strategy.

Like I said, worse than Aura are stupid random shits like Xevioso one shooting people suddenly with move that should only do severe damage or hate reset Blood Pact not working for some reason and other hidden mechanics. Aura is at least something that is very transparent. Also Aura has limited area of effect (30 yalms?). If you use strategy where RDM needs to debuff the add and you got Magic accuracy down aura, then just run away from boss outside of aura and sleep/bind it there (add just needs to be 10 yalms away from boss, so you can be 20 yalms away from it and 30 away from boss).
 Bahamut.Seonyx
Server: Bahamut
user: Seonyx
By Bahamut.Seonyx 2022-03-15 06:41:22
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »

Our setup was RUN, BRD, COR, BST(Aymur), WHM, COR

You start with DRK on Mboze

Bet they are all super easy when you somehow bring in a 7th player lol.

edit: just saw you listed cor twice, guessing thats your drk
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2022-03-15 06:59:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Odyssey Sheol Gaol unlocked for parties larger than 6 soon! Like Omen!
Can't wait! Finally more LS events for us!
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2022-03-15 07:00:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
source?
By SimonSes 2022-03-15 07:09:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Seonyx said: »

Our setup was RUN, BRD, COR, BST(Aymur), WHM, COR

You start with DRK on Mboze

Bet they are all super easy when you somehow bring in a 7th player lol.

edit: just saw you listed cor twice, guessing thats your drk

Yeah sorry XD Writing on phone during work :)
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2022-03-15 07:18:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Asura.Sechs said: »
source?
I was of course being sarcastic and joking on the unwilling small mistake Simon made in his post (where he accidentally listed 7 jobs instead of the maximum amount of 6)

They will never unlock Gaol or Sheol A/B/C for pts larger than 6 people, I thought that was so obvious that I didn't need to say I was joking.
I apologize for the confusion!
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2022-03-15 07:21:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Definitely flew over my head, I kind of spaced on the job limitations and all the other reasons it wouldn't make sense. They do tend to nerf the ***out of everything before/as the next content comes along, though.

I'll blame it being early in the morning.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2022-03-15 08:26:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The issue we found with Macc down aura on Mboze was that we couldn't reapply threnody after it wore and aura went up. We would SV the first one on pull with the rest of the SV songs as you said, but when it wore after aura was up, it would never go back on. Outside of Stymie the add would be unsleepable under any circumstances.

Atk Down aura was still near halfing WS damage even with Chaos on, and after the initial entrusts wore, there is no more Fury to be had with no GEO in the setup.

I personally feel the auras are just a bit too impactful to a fight, given how little control you have over them. If you *knew* you were going to get an atk down aura, you might bring a different setup, so it feels a little cheap/unfair on the player.
You're overestimating the auras. Attack and Defense down are only -20%, and whike Macc down's potency is unknown, from a RDM's perspective it only makes enfeebling moderately harder. I've slept the add twice in a single run without Stymie with MACC down on.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2022-03-15 09:12:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Definitely flew over my head, I kind of spaced on the job limitations and all the other reasons it wouldn't make sense. They do tend to nerf the ***out of everything before/as the next content comes along, though.

I'll blame it being early in the morning.
I would welcome the over 6 people unlock of Gaol/Segments with open arms, if anything just to have "something" to do with our event-based endgame LS.

But with the "no repeated job" limitation it would be quite a mess honestly.
It's quite a shame they released such an interesting and long lasting game content and then decided to direct it exclusively at 6men pts.
Then again Odyssey is over 1 year old, bit late for me to whine, at this point.

I'm sure small tweaks/nerfs will come. ML will indirectly help earlier Vengeance levels already, once it will be high enough.
Then they might add, I dunno, better segments income? More storeable moglophones? Lower Moglo2 prices?
Whatever, I'm sure bit by bit something will come.
We've seen something happening to Odyssey a couple of times already, by now.
 Carbuncle.Papesse
Server: Carbuncle
user: Papesse
By Carbuncle.Papesse 2022-03-15 14:19:52
Link | Quote | Reply

We tried to use SMN several times against Arebati and something doesn't work. We had RUN tank and COR and RNG DD. I was doing Pacifying Ruby spam on RNG entire fight (probably like 30+ times in total), including like 10 usage under Conduit around 60% HP and RNG still pulled hate frequently around 20% HP (I was keep PRing him every 20-50 sec after conduit, including some doubles with Apogee). Even after loosing hate our RUN did Sforzo and RNG pulled hate again 20 sec later after getting another Pacifying Ruby too. All that with SV Dirge too.

Either Ruby doesn't work or there is some other hate mechanic here that screwing with us.
How far you were from Arebati? Pacifying Ruby doesn't work if the SMN (not Carbuncle) is standing too far away from the enemy (about 27 yalms or more).
By SimonSes 2022-03-15 16:10:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Papesse said: »

How far you were from Arebati? Pacifying Ruby doesn't work if the SMN (not Carbuncle) is standing too far away from the enemy (about 27 yalms or more).

Maybe that's it then, but it would be close. I was standing around that 27 yalms mark I think. RNG and COR were standing at 20' and I was standing several yalms behind them. Thank you :)
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2022-03-16 06:22:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
Starting on A now with MM IX already in the zone and these stats:
* 2802 Nostos
* 4 Tipuli
* 3 Dione
* 1 Damysus
* 3 Aegypius
* 5 Salmandra
* 4 Ailuros
* 4 Megaera
* 5 Eurytus
* 1 Harpe
* 7 Kusarikku
* 6 Leucippe * Leveled me up to X
* 1 Cynara
* 1 Ptelea
* 4 Physis
* 0 Gloios
* 0 Brachys
* 108 Chests
* 20 Coffers
* 0 Aurums

Ranked up to X in A when I killed Leucippe the 6th time. He was my 2nd NM to 6 kills, but overall I am about 50% done with getting them all to 6 kills.

Friend came along and got 1 level from opening his 10th chest and killing his first NM, so there's two more data points.

Edit: Friend also got one level from killing his 70th Nostos

Ranked up to XI when I killed Tipuli for the 6th time. NM totals at that moment were:
 Valefor.Cinzia
user: Mipha
By Valefor.Cinzia 2022-03-16 13:46:34
Link | Quote | Reply

How do others feel about some auras making fights basically unwinnable?

Our setup was RUN, BRD, COR, BST(Aymur), WHM, DRK

You start with DRK on Mboze, you do initial Torcleaver, then another one, then BST TP drainkiss, then you TP a little more and use Soul Enslavement (COR joins the fight at this point). During SE you push as close to 75% as possible. If you don't reach it, then DRK needs to turn once or twice (COR stops in moment SE wears off) and let BST TP drainkiss. When Add spawns, RUN starts to tank it. COR, BRD and DRK all TP on add and WS on Mboze with 3000TP Torc or Savage. Aymur BST alone is enough to reset TP if Mboze is only WSed by 3 people like that. At 30% you reapply Killer Instinct and possibly buffs (rolls might be wearing off soon) and at 25% you start Unleash. During Unleash DRK, COR, BRD can still all WS Mboze without problem. After Unleash COR and BRD stop damage and DRK finishes Mboze still TPing on add. No luck is involved here, but BST might need Aymur. If you get lucky Wild Card, then it becomes super easy with 2x Unleash at the end. This setup kinda requires a perfect execution and good feel of Mboze TP at first 25%, before add spawns, but..

..This setup is not optimal. We only used it, because we lack optimal jobs on right people. Optimal setup is BLU instead of WHM. BLU main cure, adds buffs/debuffs and damage and resets TP. BST no longer needs Aymur with BLU helping with TP reset and you can keep both DRK and BLU WSing under 25% without Unleash. Just one important thing, everyone need to have few stacks of remedy to take care of paralyze, because you don't have paralyna. PLD would also be better than RUN to tank add, but we only had RUN available. This setup with BLU is really easy and probably makes Mboze one of the easiest A3 NMs. Requires no luck at all.

Also we had no problem with DRK getting hit with spells that hard, but afaik BLU can also silence Mboze for a really long time, so why not take advantage of it?

I get you don't bring a WHM to this and use BLU to heal but why do you even need a tank to tank the add, so you can TP off add instead? Still need first 25% to get it down correctly without a TP move wiping everyone. If you're doing no WHM, might as well bring GEO or RDM to increase DRK's DPS or RDM to add more debuffs and sleep add.
First Page 2 3 ... 176 177 178 ... 238 239 240