Oh~and Youre Parents Must Be Straight...

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Oh~and youre parents must be straight...
Oh~and youre parents must be straight...
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Phoenix.Amael
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Amael 2010-03-09 23:10:50
Link | Quote | Reply

TheDenverChannel.com said:

Denver News

BOULDER, Colo. -- A preschooler is caught in the middle of a fight between religion and sexuality. Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic School, in Boulder, has refused to readmit a preschooler because the child has two moms. Her parents are lesbians.

"God and Jesus would not allow discrimination in that way," said Joellen Raderstorf, one of about two dozen demonstrators who turned out at Sunday's church service.

Most of the protesters stood silently, across the street, holding signs. One read "God loves all people."

Some of them went inside during mass. The priest addressed the situation in his sermon.

"He feels like it's a calling to be strict with upholding the Catholic principles," said Dave Ensign, president of the Board of Directors of Boulder Pride, a gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender organization.

"People who understand the Catholic teaching will understand why the decision was made," said Fabien Ardila, a member of the parish.

However, not everyone in the parish agreed with the decision.

"I just feel the Catholic Church is a church that should be teaching acceptance and tolerance. I just don't think this is an example of that," Juli Aderman-Hagerty told 7NEWS as she was leaving Mass. "Father Breslin said it right. We're all sinners. Why discriminate against this end of sinners?"

Church leaders declined to answer questions from 7NEWS.

However, the Archdiocese of Denver did issue this statement:

"To preserve the mission of our schools, and to respect the faith of wider Catholic community, we expect all families who enroll students to live in accord with Catholic teaching. Parents living in open discord with Catholic teaching in areas of faith and morals unfortunately choose by their actions to disqualify their children from enrollment."

Raderstorf said it seems there's a double standard.

"I don't think they interview to see what parents are divorced or what parents are using birth control or other things that are against the teaching of the Catholic Church," she said.

Protesters said they'd like to see the decision reversed in this case. At the very least, they're glad their voices are being heard.

"Perhaps the reaction is a wake up call that we're at a point in history that we can't do discrimination like this without negative repercussions," said Ensign.

/angry can't comment.
 Gilgamesh.Kamara
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Kamara
By Gilgamesh.Kamara 2010-03-09 23:14:40
Link | Quote | Reply

...ONLY A SITH DEALS IN ABSOLOUTES.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2010-03-09 23:16:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Well hopefully, if the kid does go to the school, they treat them right and not make them as a bad kid or treat them different because of the parents being lesbians.

Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2010-03-09 23:25:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I think the archdiocese made the right call.

Look if this was a public school then we have an issue. Because FREE PUBLIC education is a right.

However, this is a private school, as such they can do what they want. There is a history of court decisions and public policy on their side, because in the end Private education is a privilege.

Privileges aren't rights, folks. It's not even close. As such they are easily gained and lost, wholly dependent on the whim of whomever issued them in the first place.

[+]
 Phoenix.Amael
By Phoenix.Amael 2010-03-09 23:26:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Kamara said:
discriminating agaisnt a child/person based upon birth/living envrioment and/or life style, is something the nazis also did...

Exactly why It makes me so mad. The Child didn't choose her parents. She didn't picked up Moms. She didn't went and said "Weeee, I want the lesbian couple"! She has no fault at all, why the hell are you denying her education?! This is one big *** sign of hypocrisy from the catholic church. So the love of God its only for the few they choose?
[+]
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2010-03-09 23:28:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Well you can't always get what you want in this life. That kid DOES NOT have to go to THAT school. It's that simple. I'm sure there are other schools out there and if that kids parents can afford to pay for a Catholic education they can certainly afford tuition at another SECULAR school.
[+]
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2010-03-09 23:29:56
Link | Quote | Reply

This is a shining example of exactly why I stepped away from the church as soon as I was out of my parent's house.

1.) Who is any church (or anyone at all) to judge people based on their sexuality?

2.) Since when is it 'forgiving' and 'Christ-like' to discriminate against a child for the supposed 'sins' of their parents?

3.) How is hurting their silly church if there are children of homosexuals in it? It's not like homosexuals come door-to-door trying to shove their lifestyle down other peoples' throats.

Edit: Makelith is right that it's a private school and can therefore do idiotic things and get away with it. But that doesn't make it any less douchebagish.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2010-03-09 23:33:21
Link | Quote | Reply

A child is born innocent in many eyes, so punishing a child by refusing education because of their parents sexuality is stupid. They let the couple go to the church and now they wont let their kid in the school. To me the child should be let in the school. They forget it takes a sperm from a MAN to fertilize the egg, not an egg + egg.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Kamara
By Gilgamesh.Kamara 2010-03-09 23:34:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amael said:
Gilgamesh.Kamara said:
discriminating agaisnt a child/person based upon birth/living envrioment and/or life style, is something the nazis also did...

Exactly why It makes me so mad. The Child didn't choose her parents. She didn't picked up Moms. She didn't went and said "Weeee, I want the lesbian couple"! She has no fault at all, why the hell are you denying her education?! This is one big *** sign of hypocrisy from the catholic church. So the love of God its only for the few they choose?

thanks for quoting/replying, i totally agree :)))
I edited my post, to more of a "lol that is on-point" referance ^^;

I do hope you appreciate the humor though<333
 Shiva.Gylfie
Server: Shiva
user: Gylfie
By Shiva.Gylfie 2010-03-09 23:34:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Liela said:
3.) How is hurting their silly church if there are children of homosexuals in it? It's not like homosexuals come door-to-door trying to shove their lifestyle down other peoples' throats.

Religious people do it more than anyone too...
[+]
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-03-09 23:38:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Malekith said:
Personally I think the archdiocese made the right call.

Look if this was a public school then we have an issue. Because FREE PUBLIC education is a right.

However, this is a private school, as such they can do what they want. There is a history of court decisions and public policy on their side, because in the end Private education is a privilege.

Privileges aren't rights, folks. It's not even close. As such they are easily gained and lost, wholly dependent on the whim of whomever issued them in the first place.

...Right?
 Ramuh.Tousou
Server: Ramuh
user: Toufu
By Ramuh.Tousou 2010-03-09 23:39:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Alyria said:
Egg+Egg

=Omelet!

Two things:

First (While it was edited, I saw the original) the Nazi comparison. I'll never understand why people feel the need to compare anything and everything negative to the Nazis. After all, a lot more cultures have been doing ***like this, for much longer.

Second, I sure wish I could get that African-American grant, even though I'm white...

Ramuh.Thunderz
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-03-09 23:41:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Private skewl

Religion

we can discuss all we want but nothing gonna change!

Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2010-03-09 23:44:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey folks, I'm sorry if you don't like what I said. Honestly I could give a ***. If you don't like it write your congressman.

The only way that couple has a chance in hell of having anything happen is if the preschool in in question was taking federal or state educational aid money because they ran a headstart program or something similar.

If that's the case then there's a loophole for state intervention and assertion of constitutional rights in a situation where there's an appearance of discrimination going on.
[+]
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2010-03-09 23:51:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, I didn't mean you were being douchebagish, Malekith. I meant that you were correct, private schools can do as they will, but that the private schools were still being douchebagish. Just because you CAN do something doesn't necessarily mean you SHOULD do it. Sorry, I didn't mean to call you a douchebag. /blush!
 Ramuh.Thunderz
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-03-09 23:53:38
Link | Quote | Reply

you just got caught in the whole douchebaggeriness of it all
 Hades.Excelior
user: Excelior
By Hades.Excelior 2010-03-10 00:02:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Malekith said:
Personally I think the archdiocese made the right call. Look if this was a public school then we have an issue. Because FREE PUBLIC education is a right. However, this is a private school, as such they can do what they want. There is a history of court decisions and public policy on their side, because in the end Private education is a privilege. Privileges aren't rights, folks. It's not even close. As such they are easily gained and lost, wholly dependent on the whim of whomever issued them in the first place.

First smart thing I've seen a person say in a long time. I don't understand why so many people feel they are entitled to ***. I'd mention health care and jobs but that would probably make people mad.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Kamara
By Gilgamesh.Kamara 2010-03-10 00:02:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I truely and honestly, dont get the american way of working things.

You say everyone has the right to be free and work for their dream (the american dream?)...
But yet, like this case shows, people are knocked down for 100's of reasons, socio-economic/relgious/sexual/race... annddd.... from birth..

And whats most appauling is... this is coming from your religious community... Ya know? those kind-caring-loving-folk? The people that are meant to be forgiving and caring of everyone in society?
What does this say about america?

Personally I think the american social conscience needs to mature, slowly maybe?

Not saying that where I live is perfect, in anyway... But still, I can break my leg... in any freak accident, with no health insurance, and be confident there is someone that will be payed good money to fix it for me. Cus' I pay taxes. And when my employer lays me off, due to ressecion, I can still break my god-damn-leg and get it fixed, for free. Cus I've payed my taxes and contributed where and when I can.

This is a much larger social issue. Its *** time to mature america.
[+]
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2010-03-10 00:04:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Liela said:
Oh, I didn't mean you were being douchebagish, Malekith. I meant that you were correct, private schools can do as they will, but that the private schools were still being douchebagish. Just because you CAN do something doesn't necessarily mean you SHOULD do it. Sorry, I didn't mean to call you a douchebag. /blush!
No offense was taken. Never even took it that way. My statements were blanket in nature and directed towards all my "fans" out there. I'm sure there are people reading my comments and going "of course he would think that way."
[+]
 Garuda.Glaciont
Server: Garuda
user: glaciont
By Garuda.Glaciont 2010-03-10 00:07:48
Link | Quote | Reply

*looks around* oh right.. i live in Canada.... ZIIIIIIIIIING!
[+]
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2010-03-10 00:08:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I had a whole thought in my head about the whole propaganda and how religion can effect all this... but atm, I'm not going to tough this one with a 20Ft pole...

I might get " Linched!"...

eeeek!

funny how we talk about catholic religions and the top of the page says 2 in 1 games..

catholicgames.com

/sigh what is the FFXIAH coming too....

ugh. ( ya I know key words set the search off.)
 Hades.Excelior
By Hades.Excelior 2010-03-10 00:08:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Kamara said:
I truely and honestly, dont get the american way of working things. You say everyone has the right to be free and work for their dream (the american dream?)... But yet, like this case shows, people are knocked down for 100's of reasons, socio-economic/relgious/sexual/race... annddd.... from birth.. And whats most appauling is... this is coming from your religious community... Ya know? those kind-caring-loving-folk? The people that are meant to be forgiving and caring of everyone in society? What does this say about america? Personally I think the american social conscience need to mature, slowly maybe? Not saying that where I live is perfect, in anyway... But still, I can break my leg... in any freak accident, with no health insurance, and be confident there is someone that will be payed good money to fix it for me. Cus' I pay taxes. And when my employer lays me off, due to ressecion, I can still break my god-damn-leg and get it fixed, for free. Cus I've payed my taxes and contributed where and when I can. This is a much larger social issue. Its *** time to mature america.

The american dream isn't in the constitution. Public school teachers just teach their students a reality that doesn't exist. You arent entitled to anything except what is in the bill of rights. I wish everyone could have health care and jobs and live in happy fairy fun land but I'm not niave. I also would not look to religious people for sympathy I mean come on, most hard core religious people are the most narrowminded on the planet.
[+]
 Garuda.Glaciont
By Garuda.Glaciont 2010-03-10 00:09:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Kamara said:
Its *** time to mature america.

'nough said
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Kamara
By Gilgamesh.Kamara 2010-03-10 00:12:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I didnt say the american dream was the constitution. Simply that your meant to be "free" according to it. Which is indeed laughable... As I'm free to break my leg over here in the UK... Vs some poor un-insured guy in your country whos been screwed over by said "dream".

ok.. ok.. so heres the logic:

People hurt themselves/get hurt from time to time...

Why not make people pay for hurting themselves?

ok... so... actually with the use of math it seems, people on average get hurt/ill so often... it would be benificial to - make them all pay.. maybe a tax no?
So.. together, the burden is less for all!?!?... :O

(small words in time of ressecion i know :/)

But.. Its like your countries attitude towards health care is:
"I dont feel like im going to get cancer today... So I wont contribute towards cancer treatment in the future.. well.. maybe for me.. but espcially not anyone else"

ITS JUST LIKE INSURANCE... but everyone wins no?

[+]
Server: Remora
By Remora.Morbidthrasher 2010-03-10 00:16:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Post flyers with this all over the school?

Haha, no really though, I gotta agree with Malekith, as douchebagish and wrong I think the policy is, it is a private school and should be entitled to do as they please.

[+]
 Phoenix.Destrac
user: Destrac
By Phoenix.Destrac 2010-03-10 00:16:57
Link | Quote | Reply

As a gay guy myself, I just have one comment: wtf is that couple thinking sending their child to a religious school in the first place?
[+]
 Garuda.Glaciont
By Garuda.Glaciont 2010-03-10 00:20:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Destrac said:
As a gay guy myself, I just have one comment: wtf is that couple thinking sending their child to a religious school in the first place?

ahahaha..... yea wtf were they thinking... they're probably activists
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2010-03-10 00:20:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Destrac said:
BUMP^

[+]
 Hades.Excelior
By Hades.Excelior 2010-03-10 00:20:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Destrac said:

I have lots of friends who are same sex couples and still participate in their religion. I really don't understand it either but I suppose it depends on where you live. Some cities/areas are more tolerant than others. Personally if a group didn't agree with my way of life I'd just tell them to fk off and wouldn't bother with it.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7