Oh~and Youre Parents Must Be Straight...

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Oh~and youre parents must be straight...
Oh~and youre parents must be straight...
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-03-10 12:50:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Cright said:
Asura.Dameshi said:
Religion was created as a way to explain the unexplainable. For instance, why does the sun rise in the East and set in the West? Due to advances in science, we now know the answer is because of the earth's rotation. Of course, before science, the only answer was "God did it" or "Ra did it" or whoever you worshiped. Because science has evolved as far as it has, do we really need religion anymore?

That depends, do you want to live forever on a paradise earth or die.
Blind faith is sad. It's a pity watching people waste their lives worshiping their imagination.
[+]
 Phoenix.Mogue
Server: Phoenix
user: Mogue
By Phoenix.Mogue 2010-03-10 12:51:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Cright said:

ITT: Ignorant, hypocritical, human garbage trying to save our immortal souls.
[+]
 Ramuh.Ilvex
Server: Ramuh
user: Ilvex
By Ramuh.Ilvex 2010-03-10 12:59:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra said:
Ramuh.Ilvex said:
Actually just because it's a private school does not mean they get to do what they want. Take renting an apartment, I cannot say because you have kids, are black, Asian, gay or w/e that you can't live here. The biggest problem for the school is the reason they are denying service.

You DO NOT have the right to refuse service based on the follow: religion, sexual orientation, race, greed, disabilities ect.

If they had denied them service for lack of money or the child wasn't up to stuff for the school, that would be ok but for the reason which they denied it violates parts of our constitution.

2gil
No, it's not unconstitutional. As I understand, there's basically a contract that says "We can kick you, keep you, give you more money, charge you full price, whatever; if you don't like it, GTFO."

Yes you have the right to refuse service BUT and that is a big but you can't refuse for the said reason I stated. If they had simply denied the application for any other reason then that claim would be valid, but just like all male clubs can not exclude someone applying to be a member because they are a women, and just like how the KKK can not refuse someone a membership just because they are black. FIND A LEGAL AND VALID REASON is all I'm saying.

And to the point of this being a stunt, well where I live there are plenty of progressive Catholic's that are for gay right and would take a child of gay parents, so to say that it was a stunt is un-fair, we (you, me and everyone else)doesn't know what the reasons behind them applying for their child to go to school there.
 Hades.Nybras
Server: Hades
user: wyrmhole
By Hades.Nybras 2010-03-10 12:59:48
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Ifrit.Cright
Server: Ifrit
user: Crighton
By Ifrit.Cright 2010-03-10 13:11:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Mogue said:
Ifrit.Cright said:

I am not trying to save anyone, I have my belief system and you have yours. I am not human garbage, I don't feel threatened and lash out at others who don't share my views. I am who I am.
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-03-10 13:14:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Cright said:
Phoenix.Mogue said:
Ifrit.Cright said:

I am not trying to save anyone, I have my belief system and you have yours. I am not human garbage, I don't feel threatened and lash out at others who don't share my views. I am who I am.
Agreed, he's not pushing religion on us, merely stating his views. No need for name calling.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-03-10 13:17:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Cright said:
What was the sin of Sodom and Gomorrah? It is abundantly clear that homosexuality was the primary evil. The biblical account of Sodom and Gomorrah is recorded in Genesis chapters 18-19. Genesis chapter 18 records the LORD and two angels coming to speak with Abraham. The LORD reiterated His promise to Abraham that he would have a son through Sarah. The LORD also informed Abraham that "the outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous." Verses 22-33 record Abraham pleading with the LORD to have mercy on Sodom and Gomorrah because Abraham's nephew, Lot, and his family lived in Sodom.

When trolling a forum, try not to take direct cut-and-paste jobs from other sites. I'm pretty sure the LORD does not smile upon plagiarism.
[+]
 Fairy.Spence
Server: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-03-10 13:18:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Is this thread worth reading for lulz?
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-03-10 13:18:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-03-10 13:18:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Spence said:
Meh, not really.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-03-10 13:23:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm Agnostic.

[+]
 Ifrit.Cright
By Ifrit.Cright 2010-03-10 13:23:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Ifrit.Cright said:
What was the sin of Sodom and Gomorrah? It is abundantly clear that homosexuality was the primary evil. The biblical account of Sodom and Gomorrah is recorded in Genesis chapters 18-19. Genesis chapter 18 records the LORD and two angels coming to speak with Abraham. The LORD reiterated His promise to Abraham that he would have a son through Sarah. The LORD also informed Abraham that "the outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous." Verses 22-33 record Abraham pleading with the LORD to have mercy on Sodom and Gomorrah because Abraham's nephew, Lot, and his family lived in Sodom.

When trolling a forum, try not to take direct cut-and-paste jobs from other sites. I'm pretty sure the LORD does not smile upon plagiarism.

Actually God does smile upon plagiarism, if you use scripture from the Bible you are spreading Gods word.
[+]
 Ifrit.Cright
By Ifrit.Cright 2010-03-10 13:25:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Spence said:

Nope just a bunch of guys throwing around theories.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-03-10 13:37:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Cright said:
Fairy.Spence said:

Which are just as plausible as your scriptures.
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-03-10 13:38:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Ifrit.Cright said:
Fairy.Spence said:

I feel as though your avatar should say "Logic Man!" on it. He looks like he'd be a super hero.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-03-10 13:39:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dameshi said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Ifrit.Cright said:
Fairy.Spence said:

I feel as though your avatar should say "Logic Man!" on it. He looks like he'd be a super hero.

XD
 Fairy.Spence
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-03-10 13:39:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Save me Logic Man!
 Odin.Aerroenu
Server: Odin
user: Aerroenu
By Odin.Aerroenu 2010-03-10 13:39:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
While I'm loath to jump into a debate on the philosophy or ideology behind the decision, private institutions are not allowed to discriminate based on various state and federal laws, but it differs from case to case and state to state. It's not a constitutional issue because the Equal Rights Amendment was never passed, so it falls to local and state legislation.

Many states (including Colorado) have laws on the books saying that private institutions (the school counts) are not allowed to discriminate or deny service on the basis of sexual orientation. That puts this school in violation of state law, even if they don't take public funding.

In some states, you can privately discriminate based on sexual orientation. In some, you can privately discriminate based on gender. Agree or disagree with the principle behind the laws, but in Colorado, you can do neither, so this school should expect to be sued off the face of the planet. Their only defense could be saying their right to discriminate is a religious right, in conflict with state law, but legal precedent all the way up to the Supreme Court has repeatedly said that isn't a valid argument.
Thank you for doing the research, Jaerik. Explains why there's such a fuss over this event to begin with. It's funny: this makes a lot of arguments over whether the school could or could not discriminate on sexual orientation kind of moot-point now.

P.S. This whole argument over "religion vs. science" makes me think of Angels and Demons. *lol*
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2010-03-10 13:44:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Cright said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Ifrit.Cright said:

Actually God does smile upon plagiarism, if you use scripture from the Bible you are spreading Gods word.
It makes me cry inside, knowing I was once as devout and blind as this kiddo.
[+]
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-03-10 13:44:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Asura.Dameshi said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Ifrit.Cright said:
Fairy.Spence said:

XD
Yes, you changed it! Win all over.
 Ifrit.Cright
By Ifrit.Cright 2010-03-10 13:48:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra said:
Ifrit.Cright said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Ifrit.Cright said:

It makes me cry inside, knowing I was once as devout and blind as this kiddo.

Kiddo? Thanks Man I needed that! And NO I'm not telling my age.
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-03-10 14:12:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Drunktexan said:
Ragnarok.Blindphleb said:
Phoenix.Drunktexan said:
Once the government starts mandating who a private entity accepts into their group, you no longer live in a free society.

I am sick of everyone pushing for more and more government intervention... That is simply the opposite of a free society.
Hai, the civil rights movement would like to have a word with you.

If we listened to your argument blacks would still be eating out of the back of restaurants.

A very valid argument, I was waiting for someone to make this response.

caveat - I in no way, shape or form condone racism, I am merely using Blindphleb's example.

What if I host a dinner party every week, only inviting some of my closest friends for dinner. What if I only invite white people (simply because my closest friends happen to be white)? Should I be forced to start inviting black people to my dinner parties? Obviously not.

Now, contrast this with a restaurant that is open to the public. If they only serve only white patrons, is that acceptable? Obviously not.

So where does the acceptance standards of a privately funded education system fall? Somewhere in the middle. The question therein becomes: where do we draw the line? Obviously I should not be required to invite a certain race to my dinner party, but yet I am not allowed to exclude a specific race from my restaurant. How much do we impose on an otherwise free society to correct the wrongs of racism? I am not sure how to answer that question. With any government regulation comes a burden on its citizenry (and an obvious burden on their freedom).

At the time of the civil rights movement, no blacks were allowed into any southern (white) restaurant. Therefore, the potential black patron's restaurant selection was severely limited. Contrast this with the fact that the lesbian couple can choose any number of other, equally qualified, private schools (not to mention the free public ones) and not be excluded. Based on this, I do not think your analogy holds...
This is a very nice counterpoint. I would like to bring up the idea of a service in contrast to your dinner party.

I think by opening up a restaurant and serving members of the public it constitutes a service to the larger community does it not? Where your private dinner party does not offer that same service to the larger community. The examples are between exclusive and inclusive invitations. This is proved through all of the licensing one has to go through to provide a restaurant service to a community. Your dinner party on the other hand doesn't have to license itself.

Considering this, in my mind, a privately owned restaurant is not unlike a privately owned school. Both are providing services to the larger community. Both have to go through licensing to offer this service to the larger community. And in my opinion both should be subjected to societies questioning.

I liked your discussion about where to draw the line. This is indeed a troublesome question. On one hand we want to be as free as possible, but the closer we get to freedom the less free we actually are because "My right to swing my fist ends where your nose begins." to borrow from Tousou's post. Absolute freedom would be absolute anarchy, and I think mature adults can admit that that would run counter to a productive society. We acknowledge the purpose of rules and law in a developed society. On the other hand the more rules and regulations we put in place the less freedom we have, and scenes from 1984 start becoming a reality. Here too, I think mature adults can admit that that would run counter to a productive society. It is most certainly a balancing act, and I do not envy the person charged with balancing freedom and law.

Your last point seems correct on the surface. That being "They have plenty of schools to pick from if turned away from this one". My question is do we really want to view this from that angle? If an action is wrong, does it really matter how much choice is left to the wronged? You argue that you're tired of government intervention, yet implore the wronged to seek out government paid school which would not exist if not for government intervention.

I would like to mention The Valley Swim Club as a case study. It is a private business who kicked out 65 Black and Hispanic kids from the Creative Steps Day Camp. Now as you say they're a private business so they can deny access without reason, but...
Quote:
"The Valley Swim Club is a private club, so they can deny access without reason. However, they advertise open membership, and if they are kicking these kids out due to race, that’s a big deal. Especially as it is illegal to discriminate by race, even for private businesses."
The Valley Swim Club
Should we sweep this wrong under the rug because the Creative Steps Day Camp can go find another swimming pool? I think no. If this private school would have done this to a certain race we would be having a different discussion here. It is high time we extend the same rights to LGBT groups as we extend to all other demographics.
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-03-10 14:14:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Alyria said:
A child is born innocent in many eyes, so punishing a child by refusing education because of their parents sexuality is stupid. They let the couple go to the church and now they wont let their kid in the school. To me the child should be let in the school. They forget it takes a sperm from a MAN to fertilize the egg, not an egg egg.
He'd be better off in public school than catholic school. While it may not be right to deny him, he's far better off.
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2010-03-10 14:41:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
I'm Agnostic.

Atheism and being Agnostic are basically the same thing, atheists don't "believe" anything, that would be a complete contradiction to the term, so that picture is innacurate in that regard. The only difference in their definitions is being agnostic is "Unknowing" where as Atheism is a "theological rejection", but both in spirit are the same thing. Ask most atheists and im sure they'll tell you they don't know about the mysteries of the universe, which would push them into the agnostic category, thin line that.
 Midgardsormr.Dionysius
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Dionysius
By Midgardsormr.Dionysius 2010-03-10 15:39:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
Midgardsormr.Dionysius said:
Just wanted to point out that some people in the thread have turned this into "Christians this and that..." When it is a Catholic school that we are talking about in this article...
Last time I checked Christianity included Catholicism.

yea, sorry I said that the wrong way.. what I meant was as absurd as it is Catholics are considered Christians, BUT they don't believe the EXACT same things or follow the same guidelines that other sects of Christianity do. So when discussing a matter that was caused by the decisions of a Catholic institute, we shouldn't include all Christians.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amael
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amael 2010-03-10 16:34:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Kajidourden said:
Atheism and being Agnostic are basically the same thing, atheists don't "believe" anything, that would be a complete contradiction to the term, so that picture is innacurate in that regard. The only difference in their definitions is being agnostic is "Unknowing" where as Atheism is a "theological rejection", but both in spirit are the same thing. Ask most atheists and im sure they'll tell you they don't know about the mysteries of the universe, which would push them into the agnostic category, thin line that.

I Disagree 'till some point. I'm non-religious, (or according to some people Agnostic) and I believe in God. I just don't believe wholeheartedly that the Bible is God's word. The Human Kind is governed by free will, so it is quiet possible their free will and own opinions/rules/side of story was marked down in the Bible. I also don't believe in organized religion. Who makes any singular person qualified to "Guide us"?
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2010-03-10 16:37:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amael said:
Pandemonium.Kajidourden said:

I Disagree 'till some point. I'm non-religious, (or according to some people Agnostic) and I believe in God. I just don't believe wholeheartedly that the Bible is God's word. The Human Kind is governed by free will, so it is quiet possible their free will and own opinions/rules/side of story was marked down in the Bible. I also don't believe in organized religion. Who makes any singular person qualified to "Guide us"?

Well, that's just my point, you can't lump them all together. I was simply stating their definitions, no matter where you fall into that, those are the definitions.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Server: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-03-10 17:00:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the thread ended when Jaerik posted, the skewl is in wrong. TBA Huge *** lawsuit.
 Seraph.Dierdreh
Server: Seraph
user: Dierdreh
By Seraph.Dierdreh 2010-03-10 17:35:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amael said:

I agree. In my previous post I had said that God did not write the bible with his bare hands. In turn it was written by the hands of man and with mans free will its possible many things such as laws stories and ideals were chnaged and interperted differently than what had originaly happned or had originaly been said. Humans are not perfect. We make mistakes.

Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-03-10 17:46:03
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want to argue the ideology behind how things "should" be forever, that's fine, but courts don't listen to such things. However, if you guys are interested in the actual argument from a legal side, here's a primer:

First, the school is in the wrong. State law in Colorado, where this school is located, says private institutions cannot deny service based on sexual orientation. End of discussion.

At the federal level though, there's a big open-ended question:

Because the Equal Rights Amendment was never passed, it comes down to the Equal Protection Clause of the Constitution, which is carved in stone above the steps of the Supreme Court:

In essence, this says the law cannot be used to discriminate against a person or group of people, or allow such a thing to happen, without a damn good reason. (In both public and private settings.) The determination of which comes down to two things:

1) Is the group in question (homosexuals) a "suspect class?"

You first must determine if homosexuals are a distinct group of people who have historically been discriminated against due purely to the thing that makes them distinct.

2) If they are a suspect class, and you still want to discriminate, does it pass the scrutiny tests for "damn good reason?"

There are three levels of scrutiny to apply to a suspect class: strict, intermediate, and everything else.

Strict:
If the class is "strict-scrutiny" (race is currently included here), it means the trait is innate, cannot be changed, and does not have any other effect on a person's capabilities or faculties. For example, you cannot discriminate on race because there is no argument that the color of one's skin -- by itself -- impacts their capabilities or character in any conceivable way.

Intermediate:
If the class is intermediate-scrutiny, (gender is currently included here), it means the trait is innate, cannot be changed, but could potentially have valid reasons to very narrowly discriminate based on those innate differences. For example, you can block women from becoming firefighters under the argument that they lack the upper body strength necessary to do the job. But you can't block them from say, voting.

Everything Else:
For everything else, you only need to argue there's a compelling state interest to discriminate. As an example, pedophiles can't live within 1000 feet of a school, convicted felons can't own guns, etc. These are technically discrimination, and arguably could be a suspect class, but the bar is quite low in arguing why the law can take away some of their rights.

So here's the $64,000 question: the Supreme Court has never ruled on either of these. There is currently no federal answer to either: are homosexuals a suspect class? And if so, what scrutiny level do laws against them need to pass?

In some states like California, it's been answered at the state level: Yes, they are. And strict scrutiny. It was this determination that first overturned the state ban on gay marriage. In other states, it's been answered the other way: No, they are not, and there is no scrutiny.

Once these cases make their way to the Supreme Court, (and the case in California against Prop 8 will likely get there within the next several years) the judges don't listen to impassioned stories or emotional pleas, they don't look at polls or voter sentiment (the Constitution is not up for a popular vote), and they certainly don't listen to Bible verses.

So if you're interested in following the argument, you'd best get very familiar with the above terminology.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7