The Odyssey - || Strategy and Discussion ||
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 237 238 239
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-03-11 01:42:40
Link | Quote | Reply

It seems like people getting stuck all seem to be non solo or potentially multiboxing. If its not on SE's end, all i can think of is something multibox related.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-03-11 01:44:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I do believe the "reason" might be incorrect, but they're aware of an issue. And it might be fixed.
Quote:
Known Issue After Version Update (Mar. 10, 11)

We have confirmed the issue below following the version update of Mar. 9 (PDT) / 10 (GMT), 2020.
We are currently looking into the issue and we ask for your patience while it is being addressed.

[Confirmed Issue]
- In Battle Content "Odyssey", progression might be halted if party members investigate "Veridical Conflux" and "Translocator" at the same time.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may be causing.

*EDIT (Mar. 10, 2020 23:30 PDT / Mar. 11, 2020 6:30 GMT):
This issue was resolved in the version update performed on Mar. 10, 2020 22:37 (PDT) / Mar. 11, 2020 5:37 (GMT).
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2020-03-11 01:45:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, I was right.
By cuddlyhamster 2020-03-11 01:49:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nyaarun said: »
cuddlyhamster said: »
I always assume everyone has top-tier gear. there is no reason to compare different jobs without assuming they have everything at their disposal. saying that yagrush is a bad argument is comparable to a sch being only a dark art sch and choosing not to cure. which they can, and do.

Game designers do not design around BiS gear for content. There is no argument to be made for or against yagrush whm; at that point you could literally put any healer into the healer slot and it would make 0 difference to the outcome because everyone has BiS gear.

Game designer sure as hell did try to design whm's job adjustments based around yagrush and SU5. Is it actually possible to replace WHM as the sole healer in a group with a PLD instead? i guess you could, but damn that is a ton of extra work for everyone else in the party
By Shichishito 2020-03-11 01:53:25
Link | Quote | Reply

i'm fine with carrying around a couple of remedies and even holy waters if necessary but i'm definitely too cheap to chug panacea every 30 seconds. just checked some prices and it seems to go around 180-320k/stack, not going to farm extra hours for consumables. i'm already hesitating each time i need another stack of miso ramen and food at least lasts 30+ minutes.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-03-11 01:59:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean. You've got no issue dropping 2 billion on a glowy you use 2 or 3 times a month, but a mil in consumables, that's a bridge too far. (not YOU you)

I would use the drake meme, but dat ***gay.

The amount of pissed away gil on things rotting in mog houses, but food+meds is ALWAYS an issue for people.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-03-11 02:01:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I always assume everyone has top-tier gear. there is no reason to compare different jobs without assuming they have everything at their disposal. saying that yagrush is a bad argument is comparable to a sch being only a dark art sch and choosing not to cure. which they can, and do.

Game designers do not design around BiS gear for content. There is no argument to be made for or against yagrush whm; at that point you could literally put any healer into the healer slot and it would make 0 difference to the outcome because everyone has BiS gear.

Game designer sure as hell did try to design whm's job adjustments based around yagrush and SU5. Is it actually possible to replace WHM as the sole healer in a group with a PLD instead? i guess you could, but damn that is a ton of extra work for everyone else in the party

1) No, they never designed any content with yagrush in mind. It would be absurd to do so, and would diminish any value yagrush had as being BiS, as its now required, not a bonus for the hard work required to get it.

2) You dont replace whm with pld, you replace whm with rdm or sch, and the pld can handle a lot of the AoE healing required on the front line, which is the primary reason you didnt see as many rdm/sch healers. Now, you no longer *need* a whm to handle the healing. You can get a pld tank, and a rdm or sch can handle the rest perfectly fine.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2020-03-11 02:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I think they just released this the opposite way of Omen. Omen we didn't have a pure farming run until Ou was out. Now we have farming runs, and I think they'll expand on NM's and possibly different additions.

As of now this is probably like when Delve released...people going in and grinding trash for that 50 plasm a kill, when these days you can get 100k in 10min.

Also we'll absolutely get to stack entry items in time just like Omen. So for now I'm okay with it. Gelatinous ring alone is a pretty major upgrade, and this specifically only got the lowest level of Unity items.
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-03-11 02:30:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
I mean. You've got no issue dropping 2 billion on a glowy you use 2 or 3 times a month, but a mil in consumables, that's a bridge too far. (not YOU you)

The amount of pissed away gil on things rotting in mog houses, but food+meds is ALWAYS an issue for people.
to be clear, i'm talking pricy meds like panacea. food items like miso still hurt but i won't cheap out on those (except the HQs, screw 4 extra ACC for 10 times the price).

i had plenty of instances where i was chugging 2-3 stacks of remedies/fight cause the WHM prioritised others, was overwhelmed by one of the 2.5 tasks they got invited for or simply didn't feel like removing status debuffs. if you replace those remedies with panacea the costs stack up pretty quickly i imagine. i'd rather cheap out on something thats for free if the healer does his job and invest the savings in another shiny a year down the road.

any other job that doesn't do what you invite them for gets crap but for WHM we'd suddenly make a exception?
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-03-11 02:47:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »

to be clear, i'm talking pricy meds like panacea. food items like miso still hurt but i won't cheap out on those (except the HQs, screw 4 extra ACC for 10 times the price).

i had plenty of instances where i was chugging 2-3 stacks of remedies/fight cause the WHM prioritised others, was overwhelmed by one of the 2.5 tasks they got invited for or simply didn't feel like removing status debuffs. if you replace those remedies with panacea the costs stack up pretty quickly i imagine. i'd rather cheap out on something thats for free if the healer does his job and invest the savings in another shiny a year down the road.

any other job that doesn't do what you invite them for gets crap but for WHM we'd suddenly make a exception?

You dont invite jobs for their REMAs. If you have a REMA, theres no real discussion to be had on the merits or detriments of a job; any will do. If your barrier for entry is "whm with yagrush", you dont really have a valid opinion to be voiced.

And fights generally dont go smoothly. If they did, there wouldnt be any real point to the game.
By SimonSes 2020-03-11 03:55:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
except PLD's m.eva is ***

Im not gonna argue about PLD update or how useful it is, but technically PLD meva is not that bad. Its just hard to get all the items :P

ItemSet 371361

Capped PDT (68% with Burtgang), 48%MDT without Shell, 726 meva, +809HP

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By mhomho 2020-03-11 06:58:51
Link | Quote | Reply

food+meds is ALWAYS an issue for people.

This I could never wrap my head around. Always bring Echo Drops etc...
 Odin.Vanyal
user: Vanyal1
By Odin.Vanyal 2020-03-11 07:45:46
Link | Quote | Reply

If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Instead of farming today I decided to follow what I read here and beat the RoE. I could not find a single Conflux to take me up to another level... literally wasted my lock out for the next 20 hours cause i was dumb and go too close to Yagudos :D. If anyone can point me in the right direction as to where exactly to find these confluxes so I can try again on an alt. Thanks :)
 Odin.Llewelyn
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2020-03-11 07:49:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Hug left wall on floor one. Hug right wall on floor two. Can't say where the others are because that's as far as I got before I got stuck. <.<

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Vanyal
user: Vanyal1
By Odin.Vanyal 2020-03-11 08:14:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Llewelyn said: »
Hug left wall on floor one. Hug right wall on floor two. Can't say where the others are because that's as far as I got before I got stuck. <.<

Thank you!
 Fenrir.Funkdarryl
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Funkdarryl 2020-03-11 08:17:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's a walkthrough of completing the Sheol A ROE, credit to JP player Kaggra, looks like he just ran through on a mule with sneak/invis in under 7mins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZlmhHEX14o
[+]
By Afania 2020-03-11 08:43:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Better than someone that thinks the changes to PLD werent gamechanging and completely shaking up meta comps and what can realistically be run simply by having whm no longer be mandatory.

A cute theory, except PLD's m.eva is ***and most meaningful AOE come with status effects. Let's just ditch our whm and rely on cure4-ga from the guy who's going to be standing in aoe stun/petrify/terror/para/silenced. Which, by the way, has to be removed mostly one character at a time because you didn't want a yagrush WHM.

It's a niche patch that allows pld to function with rdm healer in a few very specific bits of content. RUN going hybrid is still offering more than using rdm over whm ever will on weaker foes, and defensive RUN has far more sturdiness for fights that are more threatening.

You still have a rdm or sch who is capable of handling most cures if need be, however now that pld has the utility to main heal when it is able to (and it almost always will be able to), you can have a sch or rdm doing other things besides healing, something whm is largely unable to do. Not to mention most statuses can just be removed via medicine. Gil isnt an issue anymore, so DDs can just spam remedies and panacea all day. But even without them; a rdm can usually handle a couple of DDs that need removal, and SCH can remove more than a whm usually until they have mythic (mythics are a terrible argument to use, as you dont balance around top tier gear. If everyone has it, its no longer really a top tier thing) Usually meds will go off well before a whm is able to respond anyway.

If you think RUN is more sturdy than a pld... youre just off your rocker.

Panacea or remedy slows down DPS, why would you rely on that....

Also sch or rdm can't prevent DD getting 1 shot with cureskin abuse, and PLD probably runs out of MP faster than whm.

Rdm sch barspell suck anyways.

No pld+rdm or sch isn't going to be more ideal than run+whm for any serious fight.

And no you don't need yagrush for AoE status ailments, that's what DS/Accession/Esunas for.
[+]
 Asura.Bayonette
By Asura.Bayonette 2020-03-11 08:57:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Vanyal said: »
If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Instead of farming today I decided to follow what I read here and beat the RoE. I could not find a single Conflux to take me up to another level... literally wasted my lock out for the next 20 hours cause i was dumb and go too close to Yagudos :D. If anyone can point me in the right direction as to where exactly to find these confluxes so I can try again on an alt. Thanks :)

I had my first char die to the yagudos as well. I was cocky and didnt have RR up. Second char i snk/inv/RR and hugged the left wall the entire run. As others stated, some levels hug right, but you’ll get there 100% either way. Got to the top in 12 or 15 min. If you get aggro die somewhere safe. Large box from the roe gave me 50 scales.

Mobs changed, confuxes stayed in the same spot.
 Shiva.Dayone
Server: Shiva
user: day1
By Shiva.Dayone 2020-03-11 10:31:07
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
except PLD's m.eva is ***

Im not gonna argue about PLD update or how useful it is, but technically PLD meva is not that bad. Its just hard to get all the items :P

ItemSet 371361

Capped PDT (68% with Burtgang), 48%MDT without Shell, 726 meva, +809HP

I really like that set, thanks!

Mine is similar, and I’ve tried to embrace the new job adjustments. I find RUN more fun to play at this time but PLD can do some fun things. Still working out the bugs but I find having ~3.2k HP is enough and keeps my swaps without too many changes.

ItemSet 371719

My set needs work and the sacro breastplate looks like a good choice.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-03-11 10:53:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
Better than someone that thinks the changes to PLD werent gamechanging and completely shaking up meta comps and what can realistically be run simply by having whm no longer be mandatory.

A cute theory, except PLD's m.eva is ***and most meaningful AOE come with status effects. Let's just ditch our whm and rely on cure4-ga from the guy who's going to be standing in aoe stun/petrify/terror/para/silenced. Which, by the way, has to be removed mostly one character at a time because you didn't want a yagrush WHM.

It's a niche patch that allows pld to function with rdm healer in a few very specific bits of content. RUN going hybrid is still offering more than using rdm over whm ever will on weaker foes, and defensive RUN has far more sturdiness for fights that are more threatening.

You still have a rdm or sch who is capable of handling most cures if need be, however now that pld has the utility to main heal when it is able to (and it almost always will be able to), you can have a sch or rdm doing other things besides healing, something whm is largely unable to do. Not to mention most statuses can just be removed via medicine. Gil isnt an issue anymore, so DDs can just spam remedies and panacea all day. But even without them; a rdm can usually handle a couple of DDs that need removal, and SCH can remove more than a whm usually until they have mythic (mythics are a terrible argument to use, as you dont balance around top tier gear. If everyone has it, its no longer really a top tier thing) Usually meds will go off well before a whm is able to respond anyway.

If you think RUN is more sturdy than a pld... youre just off your rocker.

Panacea or remedy slows down DPS, why would you rely on that....

Also sch or rdm can't prevent DD getting 1 shot with cureskin abuse, and PLD probably runs out of MP faster than whm.

Rdm sch barspell suck anyways.

No pld+rdm or sch isn't going to be more ideal than run+whm for any serious fight.

And no you don't need yagrush for AoE status ailments, that's what DS/Accession/Esunas for.

Waiting for -na slows DPS down more. If its so important to remove, items remove faster.

Cureskin is never needed to avoid getting 1shot. PLD is never running out of mana with proper gear/support. If you have a RDM paired with it, its never running out of mana.

RDM barspell is good enough.

PLD+RDM will work just as well for any serious fight.
 Shiva.Thorny
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-03-11 11:06:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Waiting for -na slows DPS down more. If its so important to remove, items remove faster.
erase with fc set: 0.6 seconds
-na with fc set: 0.2 seconds
item: 1 second use + 2s gcd

nope, try again

Cureskin is never needed to avoid getting 1shot. PLD is never running out of mana with proper gear/support. If you have a RDM paired with it, its never running out of mana.
As tank, no. As DPS, yes. Having cureskin lets dps play more aggressively, if you have it up you don't need as much(or any) hybrid gear.

if by 'good enough' and 'just as well' you mean you can probably win the fight, sure, but that's mostly because the game is a joke at this point
[+]
By Afania 2020-03-11 11:09:38
Link | Quote | Reply

1) or cast na faster... remedy has like, 2 sec to use and 3 sec lock out? Casting is 1 sec so it's obviously faster?

2) That's false, there are a number of fight or mechanics in FFXI that will flat out deal more than 2k or even 3k dmg, which NEED cureskin to avoid.

Using defensive buffs or DT- set lowers DPS so no thanks. Cureskin is the most ideal choice for dangerous fights because it doesn't hinder DPS.

3) why give pld mana buffs when they can get DD buffs instead...in fact, why use PLD when you can get a DD RUN instead? Lol. Getting a pld that constantly spam Curagas seems like gigantic DPS loss for the tank slot.

I'm not seeing PLD+rdm or sch more optimal than run+whm. If I'm using rdm heal I'd still use RUN because DPS or bust.
[+]
By kingkitt 2020-03-11 11:14:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Cureskin is never needed to avoid getting 1shot. PLD is never running out of mana with proper gear/support.

First: this is the Odyssey thread, not pld discussion.

Second: items ain't doing a thing when you gotta try to use a remedy 10x because of paralyze.

Third: rune has native refresh gear in its tank set and refresh spell, not to mention pulse with tenebrae runes up. they're not relying on others to keep mp pool up.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-03-11 11:26:25
Link | Quote | Reply

erase with fc set: 0.6 seconds
-na with fc set: 0.2 seconds
item: 1 second use + 2s gcd

nope, try again

As tank, no. As DPS, yes. Having cureskin lets dps play more aggressively, if you have it up you don't need as much(or any) hybrid gear.

if by 'good enough' and 'just as well' you mean you can probably win the fight, sure, but that's mostly because the game is a joke at this point

Real world scenario, no. Its not "I got debuffed, its off .5s later because the whm can cast that fast". You need to recognize there is a debuff, tab to the player, cast the appropriate spell. And thats assuming you arent busy casting something else. Items will *always* be faster than debuff removal spells in any real world scenario.

Nothing in the game requires cureskin. Nothing. If youre getting one shot as a DD, youre either in the wrong set, or youre not geared properly for what youre doing.

I mean no worse than a run+whm. Very few things will be significantly better with a run than a pld, just like very few things are significantly better with a pld over run.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-03-11 11:28:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »

1) or cast na faster... remedy has like, 2 sec to use and 3 sec lock out? Casting is 1 sec so it's obviously faster?

2) That's false, there are a number of fight or mechanics in FFXI that will flat out deal more than 2k or even 3k dmg, which NEED cureskin to avoid.

Using defensive buffs or DT- set lowers DPS so no thanks. Cureskin is the most ideal choice for dangerous fights because it doesn't hinder DPS.

3) why give pld mana buffs when they can get DD buffs instead...in fact, why use PLD when you can get a DD RUN instead? Lol. Getting a pld that constantly spam Curagas seems like gigantic DPS loss for the tank slot.

I'm not seeing PLD+rdm or sch more optimal than run+whm. If I'm using rdm heal I'd still use RUN because DPS or bust.

Again, no. Still faster than waiting on -nas. Whms have other jobs to do as well. We arent just sitting there twiddling our thumbs waiting for enfeebles to land.

If you refuse to go into a proper set for whats going on, thats on you and your poor play. Wanna know what hinders DPS? Death.

DPS isnt everything. And this is why none of you have any say in game design.
 Shiva.Thorny
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-03-11 11:28:59
Link | Quote | Reply

You need to recognize there is a debuff, tab to the player, cast the appropriate spell.

If only there were something that let you know in advance so you could already be tabbed to the player with the macro ready.

I don't know, something like:

Mob readies TP Move.
[+]
 Asura.Friedrik
user: Friedrik
By Asura.Friedrik 2020-03-11 11:34:05
Link | Quote | Reply

It really sounds like this guy is jumping through every logical hoop possible to justify his job choices and his laziness in being unwilling to gear those jobs to their maximum potential.

If you want to be subpar, go for it. You don't need to convince us of the merits of your decisions. Just don't come here and try to foist your terrible advice, analysis, and overall lack of mechanic knowledge on us and expect us not to dump on you.
[+]
 Fenrir.Loynis
Server: Fenrir
user: Whknight
By Fenrir.Loynis 2020-03-11 11:37:25
Link | Quote | Reply

And this is why none of you have any say in game design.
You don't either.

Asura.Friedrik said: »
It really sounds like this guy is jumping through every logical hoop possible to justify his job choices and his laziness in being unwilling to gear those jobs to their maximum potential.

If you want to be subpar, go for it. You don't need to convince us of the merits of your decisions. Just don't come here and try to foist your terrible advice, analysis, and overall lack of mechanic knowledge on us and expect us not to dump on you.
He's a troll, just add him to the block list and move on. I myself am tired of losing brain cells every time he posts in the PLD topic.
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 237 238 239