2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Odyssey » The Odyssey - || Strategy and Discussion ||
The Odyssey - || Strategy and Discussion ||
First Page 2 3 ... 33 34 35 ... 237 238 239
By Pantafernando 2020-07-05 11:01:38
Link | Quote | Reply

at least if they could have some skirmish like key so you can receive rewards at any point.

having to climb just to touch the exit is also a bother.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-05 11:42:22
Link | Quote | Reply

How is that a bother? It would take no more than 10 minutes tops, and, as you yourself say, you do it once and buy the gear and be done. Any run that you are already doing you can break away and click the thing, and be done with it for good. The ROE is one-time and you don't even have to fight anything on the way there. This just sounds like pure laziness.
By Pantafernando 2020-07-05 12:33:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Well im already there killing things, few agons and possibly mimics soonish.

To get my “payment” is just if i touch The exit isnt?

As i go with mules, multiplying rewards is always good but it also increase the time to walk and warp, put inv/sneak. Ive been spending most my runs to hit the chest either with izzats or chests.

If instead of worrying to reach the top i could spend this time just looking for more chests, that would be great.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-05 12:40:17
Link | Quote | Reply

It's only one time though Panta. Like entering dynamis to unlock gear. Sacrificing 5-10 minutes of your time to accomplish that is worthwhile. You can use transponders to warp directly to floor 5 making your trip to 7 significantly faster. The transponder access retains across runs so you only need to hit it once on floor 3+5. Also, if you are taking the effort to kill mimics and agons, just keep in mind that you also get a reward at the end of the run based on what you killed prior. So while you might lose some time going up to accomplish that one time task, the rewards you get immediately compensate for the time lost, if not, much more in the case of completing the ROE.

You don't have to repeat going to the top after this, if you don't want. I know I don't bother doing this on any of my runs now
By SimonSes 2020-07-05 13:00:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I think you are a little confused Bukki. Penta means farming egons and mimics involves running to the end and touch vortex. If you dont reach it, you get no boxes from killing beastmans and mimics. It really sucks to kill 3 mimics then miss vortex at the end by 5 sec and got nothing instead of 3 large boxes.

The problem with warping to 5 is that the way from teleport to vortex to floor 6 is very narrow. If you have Beastmans on the way its super hard to not aggro them. If you aggro them you most lilely need to die at vortex wait for them to move and go up. That situation may happen again on last floor if have beatsman close to stairs to last vortex. This pretty much makes it impossible to predict how much time you need to run to the end. Sometimes it will be 4 min. sometimes 6 min. Since you need to touch it to not waste your run, you should assume worst case scenario. That means you many times will run to the end and end up with 2 min remaining, that you could spend on farming, but you couldnt risk it.
By Shichishito 2020-07-05 13:27:21
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Or maybe because its one event divided to parts and it was kinda obvious it will be connected.. we get Aeonic by just killing Reisenjima and Empy just by getting items from last abyssea expension right?

Or more suited without sarcasm. We have easier life in next abyssea zones getting atmas fron previous. We have easier time in next escha zones getting vorseals from previous. Its kinda obvious.
oh come on, you can't compare abyssea or geas fete with odyssey.
both had altered or completely new zones, a lot more gear and a transparent progression system in form of atmas and vorseals. not to mention that you couldn't simply buy your way around 99% of the content, mercs aside, like you can with odyssey.

i mean i agree with you, it had to happen that way because we can't have nice things with smooth sayling anymore. every new side grade has to cost at least 1/4 of a REMA stage for some reason.

but even now with shoel B announced i can't see as the new geas fete. its minimum effort filler content, a snack.
By Pantafernando 2020-07-05 13:55:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I see some many concepts from abyssea and escha/reisen in odyssey, namely new zones with not specific objective, multiples popped NMs.

The time gating is the main difference between Odyssey and the other 2.

Weak sense of progression is indeed one bad thing about Odyssey. But we must consider the context and difficulties dev teams had.

Im expecting good things out of Sheol B.

Another thing to notice though, is how they will handle both zones. Same time gate/entrance KI? If thats the case, Sheol A gonna be way less farmed than B probably, at start at least. And if they even resort to a totally new upgrade mat for the other UNM gears, i can see quickly scales becoming less farmed/wanted.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-05 13:59:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I think you are a little confused Bukki. Penta means farming egons and mimics involves running to the end and touch vortex. If you dont reach it, you get no boxes from killing beastmans and mimics. It really sucks to kill 3 mimics then miss vortex at the end by 5 sec and got nothing instead of 3 large boxes.

The problem with warping to 5 is that the way from teleport to vortex to floor 6 is very narrow. If you have Beastmans on the way its super hard to not aggro them. If you aggro them you most lilely need to die at vortex wait for them to move and go up. That situation may happen again on last floor if have beatsman close to stairs to last vortex. This pretty much makes it impossible to predict how much time you need to run to the end. Sometimes it will be 4 min. sometimes 6 min. Since you need to touch it to not waste your run, you should assume worst case scenario. That means you many times will run to the end and end up with 2 min remaining, that you could spend on farming, but you couldnt risk it.

Sure, but nearly no top players bother doing this way in any runs. They spend more time farming vs getting treasure at the end.

In this case you mentioned, it's a choice of what to do with your time for the run. They strategically put that at the end so you WOULD waste time getting it cleared and running towards it. It's simply another mechanism you can choose to skip out on or prioritize in your runs. Most players I know completely ignore this part of the run, probably because nobody is spending time farming 5/6/7 but rather the lower floors, so they are farther away from the end point to even bother. If you began your run up higher, you'd have a better chance of adding it to your runs.

all of this is designed specifically to choose what you want to do every single time. I get the complaint he had but it's all part of how they purposefully designed the event. Izzat itself is designed to be used strategically each run so you can't save it indefinitely. I think it's pretty smart that players can't do everything in any given run because if they ever assign objective based quests in Odyssey, players can't just finish it in one go round, they would need to take alternative routes to do whatever might be asked of them. If you are soloing with multiple accounts, that's actually a pretty smart way to counter multiboxing content by making you waste more time being careful with the time you have left. Whereas a single player would have less worry traversing through the zone because they can only accomplish so much solo, so spending 6 minutes running to the end might be more beneficial. The fact that you also can't warp up with aggro is another designed mechanism to bleed your time. Mimics are another mechanism designed to waste solo players time, but a group would have no issues clearing it and reaping the rewards.

The entire content is really interesting in it's design, the only complaints people could possibly have are the rewards currently.
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-07-05 14:10:31
Link | Quote | Reply

i'm convinced it will be a different upgrade material, got to stress that inventory. i'm just not sure if they'll add different entry KIs, more mooglephones or leave it the way it is and make you decide where to spend that once per day entry.

one issue i have with fodder mob content is the autotarget function. why does my char disengage even tho my party, me or my trusts still have hate and autotarget is on?
it's super annoying and costs a lot of time when time is so precious. should have received a quality of life update back when they introduced first iteration of dynamis.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-05 14:21:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
one issue i have with fodder mob content is the autotarget function. why does my char disengage even tho my party, me or my trusts still have hate and autotarget is on?
it's super annoying and costs a lot of time when time is so precious. should have received a quality of life update back when they introduced first iteration of dynamis.

I don't know what this is but I am also fed up with this. I notice it only when I sleep monster on BLU or something; it automatically disables my autotarget if the mobs are not actively attacking me. If I run in and retain aggro on monsters, when a mob is killed, I autotarget to the next. If those mobs happen to be slept, it disengages without going to the next.
By Shichishito 2020-07-05 14:28:44
Link | Quote | Reply

when you run in you super tank them, as soon as you cast sleep the super tank status is gone and while you are busy mauling the first mob your healers take hate of slept adds by cure bombing.

you can attempt to hit switch target just befor your current target dies but lag in there is so bad that your char frequently still disengages just to rengage right after, of course stuck in animation stun.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-05 14:47:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh I see, it has to do with an NPC having hate when you switch targets, they must not have coded that the same as when your party tank has hate and you switch targets after a defeated monster. That's annoying and I agree it does waste time.
 Asura.Geriond
Server: Asura
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2020-07-05 17:28:54
Link | Quote | Reply

For autotarget to trigger, either you or a party/alliance member has to have hate. Trusts do not count as party members for this purpose for whatever reason.
By Pantafernando 2020-07-05 20:31:26
Link | Quote | Reply

BTW is the reward to kill a NM and touching the exit 1 job point?

BG wiki says it rewards +? gil but it didnt give any gil at the end
By Shichishito 2020-07-05 22:57:18
Link | Quote | Reply

its also annoying that autotarget only triggers when mobs are in a narrow cone of your characters view. why would you want to disengage just because the mob is behind you whaling at your mages?
By Shichishito 2020-07-06 05:20:36
Link | Quote | Reply

can confirm that cruel jokes doom can land on odyssey fodder. tried it on a couple of opo opos, it landed and a bunch of them dropped after a minute, i'm not sure however if all mobs struck by cruel joke dropped or if some resisted, if death by doom drops any scales or if they count towards your total kills and therefore help working towards higher moogle mastery.

unfortunately mobs in there hit too hard to solo pull a full camp, sleep didn't stick very well but i didn't go with optimal gear or macc food. cacharian verve seems to wear rather quickly in there too for some reason. maybe a viable strat for a party mix of COR, tank, maybe GEO and Healer and fill up with BLU?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-06 14:30:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, just tested it on groups of mobs

YouTube Video Placeholder

Doom lands on Agon Beastmen as well, but I guess they are immune to Death effects because I tried it on a group of Agons and everything died except for 1 rabbit and all the Beastmen. (did not record this sadly)

Tried it again on a group of spiders + rabbits (14 total), landed on 13 (one rabbit strangely had "no effect", looks like a straight miss) but only 12 died to doom. Not sure why, perhaps sometimes it can wear off or the death effect doesn't land. I made sure not to move, so no idea why the Spider didn't drop.

Repeated again on floor2 just to get some idea of how consistent it works.

inb4 BLU Odyssey Nerf
[+]
By SimonSes 2020-07-06 14:48:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks fun, now you only need some PLD or RUN to gather whole floor :)
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-06 14:49:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Waiting on my PLD bud to log on to try this later. Pull each group > sleep. round them up and see them drop. lol. This is actually pretty fun application of BLU.
By FaeQueenCory 2020-07-06 14:54:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
inb4 BLU Odyssey Nerf
BLU is the Japanese playerbase's princess and bane job. The day it gets a nerf is never.
By SimonSes 2020-07-06 14:57:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Waiting on my PLD bud to log on to try this later. Pull each group > sleep. round them up and see them drop. lol. This is actually pretty fun application of BLU.

I wonder if there is actually cap on how many things you can AoE with it, similar to limit for horde lullaby for example. Probably not tho.

Doom lands on Agon Beastmen as well, but I guess they are immune to Death effects because I tried it on a group of Agons and everything died except for 1 rabbit and all the Beastmen. (did not record this sadly)

I assume you are talking after killing the Halo?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-06 15:04:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
sleep didn't stick very well but i didn't go with optimal gear or macc food. cacharian verve seems to wear rather quickly in there too for some reason.

You should have no problem landing sleep with a basic macc build and an ilvl weapon, unless the monster is undead. You will occasionally get some resists on the duration but I have no issues sleeping anything in there from what I could see, and I was not using a macc head/hands piece.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-06 15:06:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I assume you are talking after killing the Halo?

Of course.

Killed Halo, used Cruel Joke on group of mobs, log said everything got doomed including the Beastmen. After a minute, the Beastmen stayed alive and the other stuff dropped. Will try to get a vid or screenshot when I enter again.

I wonder if there is actually cap on how many things you can AoE with it, similar to limit for horde lullaby for example. Probably not tho.

Well you are also limited by space when you start bringing too many monsters. They can't path right on top of each other. So you might end up not being able to position all of them well enough to have Doom hit everything. Would have to check how that works. (funny in the second video I posted, you can clearly see a statue repositioning himself after being put doomed even though he was asleep xD).
By Shichishito 2020-07-06 15:15:26
Link | Quote | Reply

FaeQueenCory said: »
inb4 BLU Odyssey Nerf
BLU is the Japanese playerbase's princess and bane job. The day it gets a nerf is never.
blu is on a constant nerf since including omen by denying it almost every gear upgrade in the past couple of years.

they gave BLU a AoE doom and with the excepction of maybe incursion its been useless, about time they give it a purpose.
By SimonSes 2020-07-06 15:21:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Well you are also limited by space when you start bringing too many monsters. They can't path right on top of each other. So you might end up not being able to position all of them well enough to have Doom hit everything. Would have to check how that works. (funny in the second video I posted, you can clearly see a statue repositioning himself after being put doomed even though he was asleep xD).

As person who cleaved a lot, I recall if you actually stand close to the wall, tons of mobs will start standing on top of each other.
By Shichishito 2020-07-06 15:22:51
Link | Quote | Reply

You should have no problem landing sleep with a basic macc build and an ilvl weapon, unless the monster is undead. You will occasionally get some resists on the duration but I have no issues sleeping anything in there from what I could see, and I was not using a macc head/hands piece.
i didn't go out of my way to set aoe set, food or trusts. just went with melee setup as i expected it to miss so i would at least be able to continue my run without losing time switching sets.

my gear is also weaker than yours.
 Phoenix.Oyama
Server: Phoenix
user: oyama
By Phoenix.Oyama 2020-07-06 19:01:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
BG wiki says it rewards +? gil but it didnt give any gil at the end

You get 5k per mob killed iirc. I forget exactly what the menu options on the stone are but you should not choose to exit until you got your rewards.
By Pantafernando 2020-07-06 20:30:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Mob yes.

But the question was regarding to NM.

Yesterday i did a couple of mobs and 1 NM.

At the end, i got the correct gil and as soon as all my party touched the exit, everyone earned 1 jp without any fight or cp earned message.

So my guess is, you earn potentially 1 jp per NM killed when you hit the exit.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-06 21:54:02
Link | Quote | Reply

It's been a long time but I vaguely remember getting a job point on one of my old thief runs when I finished chest farming. I used to do 1-2 NMs on the first few floors and would rarely be able to make it to floor 7 and hit all chests without getting mimics, but couldn't say with certainty what triggered the occurrence. This was before I was master, but I remember getting a job point at the end. So you might be correct that something triggers a job point or CP bonus reward.
 Bahamut.Lexouritis
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Lexouritis 2020-07-07 16:18:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, just tested it on groups of mobs

Oh, we knew about this 2 days after odyssey came out. But Mischief (and the rest of us) kept it quiet for obvious gil reasons. :P

Only 3 of us have BLU geared anyways so i assume they made a killing in the first couple of weeks after the initial odyssey patch.
First Page 2 3 ... 33 34 35 ... 237 238 239