2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Odyssey » The Odyssey - || Strategy and Discussion ||
The Odyssey - || Strategy and Discussion ||
First Page 2 3 ... 27 28 29 ... 237 238 239
By SimonSes 2020-04-02 13:53:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I have two fresh 99 THF mules with almost 0 gear and I run them in Odyssey too. The problem is Mimic is then much bigger treat. Your only option is to have very good timing and use perfect dodge before you get stunned, then you do the same trick with trusts on mimic and dying away from mimic. That will work only once tho, because you wont have 2nd Perfect Dodge. Sometimes I only get 10-20 scales on them and run ends in 5 min, but sometimes I'm lucky and I get 300.
 Phoenix.Vespajava
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Vespajava
By Phoenix.Vespajava 2020-04-02 16:57:07
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
If you have bis Leaden, COR is the job that will probably let you kill the most stuff solo. During Triple Shot its basically shot > leaden and mob is dead. You can probably kill group of 10 nostos during one triple shot and they wont even come near you, they die on the way.

That being said, if you just want to farm scales, nothing beats THF. Just Metal Gear Fantasy through all floors opening chests and killing only aggro. If you get Mimic, put trust on it, aggro something else and die 20 yalms away from Mimic. Reraise and continue with chests. Can get up to 400+ scales per run.

Lot's of winning going on here. Been monitoring OP > now, and despite a couple of off-topic responses, OP has evolved to something useful. Folks contributing, thanks for the best version of the simplest approach. I've gone in tentatively, poked things, and basic zone exploration. Get into the content, and reference BG/ Odyssey thread, for anyone tempted not to tl;dr this in lieu of just asking "how to do it". You can predict only so much before you just chalk up a los as a loss and take the wins between. Lots of ways to skin the new content as a whole. You're not beating FFXI. Beat some ***. /cheer
By devasbismarck 2020-04-02 17:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Skele keys are much better imo. From what ive seen youll be in the chests in 1-2 keys but with living its like 6 per chest which in turn is more risk of aggro. I do not think the keys affect mimic chances thats simply rng
By SimonSes 2020-04-02 18:03:38
Link | Quote | Reply

devasbismarck said: »
Skele keys are much better imo. From what ive seen youll be in the chests in 1-2 keys but with living its like 6 per chest which in turn is more risk of aggro. I do not think the keys affect mimic chances thats simply rng

I opened many chests with first Living key used. Skeleton keys are better, but not THAT better. I use Skeletons key only on Coffers and Aurum Strongbox, but only aurum I opened so far, was with Living Key at first try.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2020-04-02 18:09:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Skele too expensive off AH and materials too annoying to farm, living are easy to get in bulk and while I hate having to use 3~4 keys on some boxes it's definitely not the average I use. I still hit the chests on all seven floors with living, just takes knowing the layout and moving a lot. I wish skele keys were easier to come by.
 Bismarck.Firedemon
Server: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2020-04-02 18:28:25
Link | Quote | Reply

You literally only have to farm bat fangs, and that takes 10 minutes to get 4 stacks. You can buy everything else from the guilds.
 Fenrir.Melphina
Server: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2020-04-02 18:33:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
You literally only have to farm bat fangs, and that takes 10 minutes to get 4 stacks. You can buy everything else from the guilds.

The only guild vendor that sells sheep's teeth is always out of stock. They restock a maximum of 2 stacks once every couple of game days and once they're gone they're gone. So unless you get lucky camping the NPC you have to farm those too. The most reliable source is abbyssea but the drop rates are less than stellar and it can take half an hour to get a couple stacks, and longer if there's competition. Sheep's teeth take longer to manually farm than the bat fangs so it's up to you whether or not crafting your own keys is worth your time.
 Bismarck.Firedemon
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2020-04-02 18:36:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Melphina said: »
Quote:

The only guild vendor that sells sheep's teeth is always out of stock. They restock a maximum of 2 stacks once every couple of game days and once they're gone they're gone. So unless you get lucky camping the NPC you have to farm those too. The most reliable source is abbyssea but the drop rates are less than stellar and it can take half an hour to get a couple stacks, and longer if there's competition. Sheep's teeth take longer to manually farm than the bat fangs so it's up to you whether or not crafting your own keys is worth your time.

Guess I've just always gotten lucky. Every time I go and do a batch of 12 I pick up my stack from the guild and leave.
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2020-04-02 19:35:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Guess I've just always gotten lucky. Every time I go and do a batch of 12 I pick up my stack from the guild and leave.

Asura things.
 Bahamut.Unagihito
Server: Bahamut
user: eelman
By Bahamut.Unagihito 2020-04-02 20:01:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Key Ring Belt

I've been doing this on my main/mule once a week.
[+]
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2020-04-02 20:50:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, that old quest is still fun to this day lol. I used to use that as my sole source of skeleton keys back in the day (didn't need that many at 75 though heh). It's not enough for oddysey, but it definately helps supplement. It's a short enough quest too, and pretty fun.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-04-02 21:57:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Firedemon said: »
Fenrir.Melphina said: »
Quote:

Guild materials are always hit or miss, especially if we're talking bulk. For me, skeletal keys won't likely change my currency by much if any but require 12x or 1200% more effort to obtain. That being said, might be a good gil synth if demand skyrockets.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-04-02 23:18:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont know if anyone mentioned, but it seems izzat isnt rewarded for half family kill/full family kill, but # of trash mobs killed, as i got izzat just killing agro, and never killed even half of a family.
By kairyu 2020-04-02 23:40:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nyaarun said: »
I dont know if anyone mentioned, but it seems izzat isnt rewarded for half family kill/full family kill, but # of trash mobs killed, as i got izzat just killing agro, and never killed even half of a family.

Yeah, you basically get 1 izzat every 5 regular trash mobs.
By kairyu 2020-04-02 23:45:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Codegen said: »
SimonSes said: »
counter damage is based on your single hit damage so it's easier to not notice it on thief compared to monk (see the 1380 from a single countered punch) or jobs with high melee hit damage. Even without a lot of evasion it's not a high counter rate like orcish counterstance but if you are soloing with 5 trusts as in the original question from a page or two back and you get a counter right after a big tp move it can get dangerous, and without honor march and buffs from 2 real players it will have more time to do hundredfists and tp moves.

Its the first time I hear that theory. AFAIK your damage has NOTHING to do with counter damage from mob. Its based on damage of mob or player who counters you. I counter for the same damage on monk regardless of what is hitting me (unless ofc it has blunt resistence/weakness or I dont cap attack or fSTR is slightly different). Unless it works differently on NMs and players, but I highly doubt it.

Also THF doing Odyssey solo will probably fight 2 NM at most. So first NM you can Perfect Dodge and 2nd NM you can Larceny. That pretty much makes all physical boosting SP (Might Strikes, Hundred Fists, Blood Weapon) they can use irrelevant when you Perfect Dodge and in case of Larceny, you just smile when you see SP being used and you can steal it :P
oops I actually got confused in this post with dread spikes where that is true (minus dark resist reduction), still normally it didn't hit me for anything close to 1380 on normal attacks so that NM might have some effects on counter like the one on jolt counters or the counter critical damage from reforged armor because I was in full DT-50 malignance etc when that counter hit

Weeew said: »
Weeew said: »
Moogle Mastery V
8 NMs (4 unique nm's)
1040 Nostos
20 chests
2 coffers

Moogle Mastery VI
9 NMs (5 unique nm's)
1140 Nostos
23 chests
2 coffers

Moogle Mastery VII
12 NMs (8 unique nm's)
1303 Nostos
33 chests
4 coffers

Moogle Mastery VIII
16 NMs (12 unique nm's)
1413 Nostos
38 chests
5 coffers
I got lvl 7 with these stats:
Moogle Mastery VII
31 NMs (all unique nm's)
651 Nostos
4 chests

I soloed one as THF instead of monk for a change and got MM VIII (8) eactly as I opened a chest with a key and got loot from it so chests also give points toward mastery for sure, even when not opened with izzats. I had these stats:
Moogle Mastery VIII
36 NMs (all unique nm's)
751 Nostos
16 chests
2 coffers

Also the cactuar N is easy to solo on monk, his 4k needles only do 700 mg on me which is nothing compared to my HP, you can see trust setup and damage below

Much more dangerous are his counters and hundredfists so keep your HP high:

Also, the ss in question shows that he countered 3 attacks - it’s just truncated into one line because of battle mod.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-03 00:16:26
Link | Quote | Reply

el oh el

Quote:
Completing the objective Sheol A now requires that 45 days have passed since character creation.

Wonder how bad it was........
[+]
By devasbismarck 2020-04-03 01:06:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Skele too expensive off AH and materials too annoying to farm, living are easy to get in bulk and while I hate having to use 3~4 keys on some boxes it's definitely not the average I use. I still hit the chests on all seven floors with living, just takes knowing the layout and moving a lot. I wish skele keys were easier to come by.

Depends on your server, atm for us they are 200k and thats going to fall by how many are up. The cost of the living ones failures to open can exceed the skeles depending how low stack price falls.

Def recommend buying over farm as the true bottleneck is sheep teeth. Bat fangs are super fast and all the other components can be bought, approx costs 100k to make 12, youll have a bigger margin if you are a bone main due to HQ synths but most of us will be 70 sub.

Also how often are you hitting all 21 chests + bonus chests coz the mimic rate seems pretty high to me. A bit skeptical on that part but its impressive if you are able.
[+]
 Siren.Codegen
Server: Siren
user: Genome
By Siren.Codegen 2020-04-03 01:53:55
Link | Quote | Reply

kairyu said: »
Also, the ss in question shows that he countered 3 attacks - it’s just truncated into one line because of battle mod.
Ah good point, I am not that used to looking at battlemod yet, looks like that was a 6 hit round and he countered 3 of them, at ~450 per counter that makes more sense, still dangerous spike of damage if you have a lot of multi-attack gear so my point about keeping hp high still applies but could be dangerous for any job that tanks and is in counter range.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-04-03 07:08:24
Link | Quote | Reply

devasbismarck said: »

Depends on your server, atm for us they are 200k and thats going to fall by how many are up. The cost of the living ones failures to open can exceed the skeles depending how low stack price falls.

Def recommend buying over farm as the true bottleneck is sheep teeth. Bat fangs are super fast and all the other components can be bought, approx costs 100k to make 12, youll have a bigger margin if you are a bone main due to HQ synths but most of us will be 70 sub.

Also how often are you hitting all 21 chests + bonus chests coz the mimic rate seems pretty high to me. A bit skeptical on that part but its impressive if you are able.

On Asura they are over half a million per stack.

It's knowing the layout on each floor, having RR up and knowing how to die safely. I also have a second character in there who's sole purpose is emergency raising as a backup.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-04-03 08:45:52
Link | Quote | Reply

And here is fridays run and jesus was this a mixed bag.
Code
Friday
Run #1
S.Box	19
L.Box	2
Single	42
Total:	330	(421)
Run #2
S.Box	9
Single	48
Total:	195

First run was Monty Haul, lots of chests, upgrades and one of the upgrades become a gold which gave me two large box's, I gave the total with the Large Box's separately as I didn't want them skewing my average. Only three mimics and they were in the lower floors with everything past that super fast. The second run was nothing but pain, mimics on almost every floor with the chests giving lots of singles. Didn't even break 200 that run.

Overall just shows how random this even can be, and how that JP video is his best out of a dozen runs and not the average. Still overall today I got 616 scales which is better then my usual take.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-04-03 17:08:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I was wondering on Skeleton Keys vs Thief's Tools.
I missed many pages on this thread, hopefully someone will correct me.
The way I got it:
Thief's Tools => small chance to open the chest, moderately high chance to spawn a mimic
Skeleton Key => very very high chance to open the chest, very very low chance to spawn mimic

So, if I'm playing in a group who can kill the mimic, I should actually use Thief's Tools on purpose, and resort to Skeleton Keys for solo play?
I kinda want to know because Thief's Tools are easy to get aplenty, Skeleton Keys is either AH or Craft, they're not super expensive but not cheap either.

Thanks for any further insight on the topic.
 Leviathan.Stamos
Server: Leviathan
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2020-04-03 17:20:38
Link | Quote | Reply

You have it right.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-04-03 17:43:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Friends made me notice that I completely forgot a third category of thingies exist: Living Keys.
Pretty cheap and can buy them from NPC.

I guess they place somewhere in between Thief's tools and Skeleton Keys?
Anybody did some more relevant tests?
 Siren.Codegen
Server: Siren
user: Genome
By Siren.Codegen 2020-04-03 18:19:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I think I read most of this thread but probably missed any conclusive answer or counterexample: when you use a key (say a skeleton key) and it fails, is it actually worth retrying? Because for me every time I retried it only lead to an eventual mimic (but just on 3/3 times i kept retrying on failures until something happened). Anybody retried and eventually got a real chest or coffer?
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2020-04-03 19:11:14
Link | Quote | Reply

A failed lockpick attempt has no bearing on any future outcomes. it's just a failure in and of itself. I've failed 3 or 4 times in a row and succeeded on the 4th or 5th try. Mimics can spawn on any given fail, but failing once does not increase the chances your next attempt will also fail.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-04-03 19:59:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I've keyed over a hundred chests, mimics just be mimics. Every time you pick a lock it rolls a chance with three outcomes, you open it, you fail to open it, a mimic spawns. The chance is determined by the key you use and doesn't deviate from that.

That being said, I've never seen mimics from upgraded coffers or gold chests.
[+]
By SimonSes 2020-04-04 02:21:27
Link | Quote | Reply

That being said, I've never seen mimics from upgraded coffers or gold chests.

Oh i got Coffer mimic several times. I also got Aurum mimic very soon after Odyssey came out. There is also clip I posted few pages back from Ejin stream with him getting Aurum upgrade and that also ended up as Mimic.
 Bismarck.Xurion
user: Xurion
By Bismarck.Xurion 2020-04-04 06:33:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Same. I seem to get mimics on coffers more than chests.
By SimonSes 2020-04-04 08:01:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Xurion said: »
Same. I seem to get mimics on coffers more than chests.

Yeah and thats actually normal, because Coffers are harder to open, so you will have more fails. I got Aurum today on mule and failed 11 times with living keys (lost last 4 skeleton keys to open Coffer), but finally opened. Got 1 large box, 1 normal box and 1 single scale from it.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 27 28 29 ... 237 238 239