Wise Cap Or Elite Beret For RDM?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » Wise Cap or Elite Beret for RDM?
Wise Cap or Elite Beret for RDM?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-30 22:01:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
There is no way INT 3 beats M.ACC 5. Even in best case scenarios, INT 3 is only M.ACC 3. And INT does nothing for INT-based Enfeeble potency.

Wasn't thinking about the MAcc only.

Nice thing called Fast Cast. I'm sure you heard of it.

See, if Gravity gets part or full resisted, it would be nice to have the Fast Cast on it than not. If you have duelist's, you shouldn't be resisted anyway. Relic hat + artifact body (+1) = a tier. That means that you have JUST hit a soft cap, just by those 2 gears alone (assuming that you have capped enfeebling, but if you are a RDM, you better damn well have capped enfeebling). Thats really what makes MAcc shine though. MAcc doesn't hit caps (that I know of, its kindof hard since MAcc gears just started to come out) so you can have duelist's cap and warlock's body and just build on MAcc and INT/MND on the last 14 slots left, and you will be just fine.

But if you don't have duelist's cap, you don't enfeeble for big ***. Unless you have some way of taking care of that (by enfeebling torque and earrings, but you lose out some INT/MND from that). If you are going to enfeeble without a duelist, its best to have Fast Cast because you will be resisted a whole hell of a lot more. Specially for Gravity, since you need Fast Cast to bring down that ~minute recast timer a bit.

Edit: Oh, and I'm sure you mean MND based Enfeeble potency.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-30 22:03:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the reason you're getting resisted is because you're using AF hat.

Might want to consider upgrading to Wise Cap.
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-30 22:05:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
I think the reason you're getting resisted is because you're using AF hat. Might want to consider upgrading to Wise Cap.

I have a duelist's cap.

I don't get resisted that often anymore.

And I'm sure that Fast Cast of any kind > Wise Cap. Even from AMK cap, having INT+6, MAcc+2, and Fast Cast+2 is better than Wise Cap, even for Slow/Para. Why Slow/Para? Because of the Fast Cast.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-30 22:18:41
Link | Quote | Reply

A RDM using Warlock's Chapeau is like a PLD fulltiming Reraise gear. If you don't have Valhalla there's a chance you'll die so you might as well be prepared with another Reraise as soon as you get back up.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-10-30 22:22:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Start in Warlock's Chapeau => end in Wise Cap.

There is no evidence whatsoever for Enfeebling Skill "tiers" either!
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-30 22:25:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:

He's saying to actually get the recast reduction instead of just the cast time reduction.
 Asura.Slamm
user: Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-10-30 22:27:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:

There is no evidence whatsoever for Enfeebling Skill "tiers" either!

Easy way to prove the teirs are *** if you can get enough enfeebling gear.

if i equip all the junk i got in mog and get 352 skill ill resist a lot
yet if i use normal gear and keep that crap in mog i get almost no resists on anything lol.

af1 hat at best gives 3% magic hit rate, will will at worst give 2.5%, at best 5%

wise wins until af2 hat
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-30 22:30:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
A RDM using Warlock's Chapeau is like a PLD fulltiming Reraise gear. If you don't have Valhalla there's a chance you'll die so you might as well be prepared with another Reraise as soon as you get back up.

Even with Valhalla you have a chance to die, just not a great chance.

Besides, 10% spellcasting time and 5% recasting time isn't good in your eyes? When you know you aren't going to be as accurate as some of the best enfeebling RDMs out there?

Gravity/Blind/Sleep/Poison all benifit from Warlock than Wise, because not only for the MAcc from the INT, but from the Potency (by time) of the INT. Gravity also gets a huge boost from the Fast Cast.

Slow/Para benifit from the Fast Cast only, and usually people use Slow II/Para II on mobs (thanks for their increased potency over their level 1 sibling spells. While I would admit that MND gear would help it more, since they do have a recast timer of over 10 seconds each, Fast Cast would benifit more (and make sure you put MND over slots that you don't have MAcc/Enfeebling+) than Wise Cap. If you want to do a Slow/Para set and use something besides Warlock, use Errant Cap. MND+3 will be better than MAcc+5 thanks to potency.
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-10-30 22:32:14
Link | Quote | Reply

int doesn't give potency to enfeebling magic

except possibly blind

thing people mistake for it is the half resists quarter resists etc which they get.
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-30 22:34:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Slamm said:
int doesn't give potency to enfeebling magic

except possibly blind

thing people mistake for it is the half resists quarter resists etc which they get.

And Poison.

You got to admit that the higher the INT, the stronger the Poison II.
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-10-30 22:37:25
Link | Quote | Reply

edit: nvm some guy on wiki says its done by int

but still doesn't rly matter its so easy to hit the 10 cap

charitwo confirmed the int thing so its probably correct

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Talk:Poison_II
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-30 22:38:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Poison 2 is always 10 per tic.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-10-30 23:16:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
Bahamut.Raenryong said:

He's saying to actually get the recast reduction instead of just the cast time reduction.

This is (almost) never worth risking the resist on though... since Bind/Grav are the only spells where recast is such a problem and you want them to stick!

EDIT: Reducing recast on Gravity looks like a good idea on paper, but typically unless you've -really- pushed a mob over its "Gravity limit", you will have Gravity up again ages before you have to cast it again.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-30 23:25:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
Poison 2 is always 10 per tic.

Its easy to reach that 10 per tick, but its not always 10 per.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-30 23:47:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Porkg said:
Besides, 10% spellcasting time and 5% recasting time isn't good in your eyes? When you know you aren't going to be as accurate as some of the best enfeebling RDMs out there?

You're just saying this over and over again with different words each time. You said yourself that if you have duelists you should use it, but otherwise you should use fastcast. Clearly it's better to maximise your potential to actually land the spell (ESPECIALLY bind and grav) than having it available a few seconds sooner. Even if you cast grav and bind in full haste gear instead of enfeebling gear, 20-30 seconds of unrestricted movement can be plenty enough time for the mob to rape you depending on what it is. And any other enfeeble the recast is short enough without any haste of fast cast that you should be going for max potency or accuracy rather than more attempts at landing it.

Consider the red mage as a sniper, and the monster is the target. A really high level mob or NM will be a really small target far away, while a ronfaure bunny is the side of a barn close up. A good sniper will set himself up with a really good scope, rest and stock that's right for him, find a good place to shoot from and take his time setting up the shot, all of this can be considered as gear choices in FFXI terms. All of this takes time (longer recast) but is much likely to not only hit the target (land the spell) but get a good score on the target (high potency). A bad sniper will use an uzi (low macc, short recast) and hope he hits. Now on the barn (ronfaure bunny), of course they're both going to hit, but on the precision target (high level mob/NM) the guy with the uzi (AF hat) is clearly not going to be the choice over the guy with the sniper rifle (duelists). Now while the uzi guy might not be able to afford a sniper rifle right now, he could at least stop firing wildly (AF hat) and put a scope (wise/elite) on his uzi.

In other news, anyone find it absolutely hilarious that the ONLY person to agree with Habs is Porkg?
[+]
 Ramuh.Scarmiglione
Server: Ramuh
user: afranko22
By Ramuh.Scarmiglione 2009-10-31 00:37:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I was just going to say that *insertrandomtrollnonsenseaboutstickingtogetherhere*
[+]
 Shiva.Clowdd
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Clowdd 2009-10-31 02:20:35
Link | Quote | Reply

hilarious
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Thegiftedmonkey 2009-10-31 02:32:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I have learned two things here today.

Fastcast is calculated when the spell starts, and Blazza makes me smile.

I am now off to fix my spellcast and chuckle as I think of it as putting a hair trigger on my rifle.
[+]
 Bahamut.Paulus
user: Paulus
By Bahamut.Paulus 2009-10-31 02:58:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Both are relatively inexpensive so for that reason amongst others you shouldn't limit your self to choosing.

In the situations where you feel comfortable landing spells use the Elite Beret for max duration.

When your getting outright resists on a mob that your maybe going 1/4 to 2/4 or even 3/4 on landing spells, use your wise cap.

Oh and your D-Chapeau. Find some one who is using their linkshell to build a relic. That system as of late is dieing on our server but if you have it available where you are go for it. You should have it in 5-8 months if your really unlucky.
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-10-31 03:30:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Paulus said:
Both are relatively inexpensive so for that reason amongst others you shouldn't limit your self to choosing.

In the situations where you feel comfortable landing spells use the Elite Beret for max duration.

When your getting outright resists on a mob that your maybe going 1/4 to 2/4 or even 3/4 on landing spells, use your wise cap.

Oh and your D-Chapeau. Find some one who is using their linkshell to build a relic. That system as of late is dieing on our server but if you have it available where you are go for it. You should have it in 5-8 months if your really unlucky.

elite beret will not increase duration

best way to get af2 hat is same way i did, find some friends and low man that ***, its so damn easy.

then sell/split the gil and currency with people who want to.

even if you only have a very small amount of people you won't lose much and the drop rate isn't bad

most people don't have it because they are waiting for it to magically drop for them or they are in a ls with stupid lotting rules.
 Bahamut.Paulus
user: Paulus
By Bahamut.Paulus 2009-10-31 03:39:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm aware that other factors play into how long a spell lasts. Generally when I swap to more enfeebling gear the spell effect lasts longer. I will admit that it's possible that I'm capable of landing these spells at the same duration with less enfeebling skill but that would simply mean that I'm getting resisted more. So for my purpose cutting down on partial resists is increasing duration.

Most shells do some sort of point leader lots on a relic type thing. Usually fair as it lets those who want one piece horde points while others with more jobs can spread their points around. Circumstances always will benefit those waiting for some items.

EDIT: I actually did some more tests as this is something I casually noticed. It seems to only effect the duration of the bind spell.

Gravity seems to be right at 30 seconds 32 in some cases.
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-10-31 03:49:07
Link | Quote | Reply

yeh but wise cap will reduce resists more than beret will
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-10-31 06:18:29
Link | Quote | Reply

the 30-32 seconds is just lag, real time only the server will display constant, latency of internet makes it seem longer but its not

also that seems like a half resist, lasts about 1 min most of the time i think with no resist
 Bahamut.Yash
user: Yashi
By Bahamut.Yash 2009-10-31 07:24:07
Link | Quote | Reply

There are a few cases where Fast-Cast for Enfeebling is handy.

I used W.Chap. and D.tabard for City-Dynamis, where Macc wasn't a big problem. This way you can sleep more stuff faster and prevent some Dispelga/Breakga/etc with a fast Silence.

If you are watchful enough you can put avatars back to sleep if they try to Astral Flow.

But for everything that matters: Wise Cap for the win (until the Demons are nice enough to give you a shiny red hat)
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-31 07:57:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Korpg said:

You're just saying this over and over again with different words each time. You said yourself that if you have duelists you should use it, but otherwise you should use fastcast. Clearly it's better to maximise your potential to actually land the spell (ESPECIALLY bind and grav) than having it available a few seconds sooner. Even if you cast grav and bind in full haste gear instead of enfeebling gear, 20-30 seconds of unrestricted movement can be plenty enough time for the mob to rape you depending on what it is. And any other enfeeble the recast is short enough without any haste of fast cast that you should be going for max potency or accuracy rather than more attempts at landing it.

Consider the red mage as a sniper, and the monster is the target. A really high level mob or NM will be a really small target far away, while a ronfaure bunny is the side of a barn close up. A good sniper will set himself up with a really good scope, rest and stock that's right for him, find a good place to shoot from and take his time setting up the shot, all of this can be considered as gear choices in FFXI terms. All of this takes time (longer recast) but is much likely to not only hit the target (land the spell) but get a good score on the target (high potency). A bad sniper will use an uzi (low macc, short recast) and hope he hits. Now on the barn (ronfaure bunny), of course they're both going to hit, but on the precision target (high level mob/NM) the guy with the uzi (AF hat) is clearly not going to be the choice over the guy with the sniper rifle (duelists). Now while the uzi guy might not be able to afford a sniper rifle right now, he could at least stop firing wildly (AF hat) and put a scope (wise/elite) on his uzi.

In other news, anyone find it absolutely hilarious that the ONLY person to agree with Habs is Korpg?

The only time a RDM would enfeeble anything that could resist while wearing a Warlock is during a party setting. Meaning, if you are the only RDM in the alliance, and they are trusting you and only you to land enfeebles on mob(s) then you are basically screwed without a duelist. Unless you have some outstanding magic accuracy from other gear, whatever you wear on your head is going to be pointless (wise, elite, or warlock). Even if you do have some outstanding magic accuracy (by way of enfeeble, MAcc, and INT/MND) then it would benifit you more to have Fast Cast than it would be to have more MAcc/Skill (because you already HAVE the gear to compensate it, you don't have that many choices in Fast Cast gear at all) because you are basically hitting the cap rate from other gear (or to the point of diminishing returns, which means the more you put on something, the less help it gives you).

This is my point. Duelists is the first priority on enfeebling gear, and if you don't have it, you have to use up 5-6 armor slots just to get the same benifits, and you can replace the missing head slot with something very rare to RDM.
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-10-31 08:12:40
Link | Quote | Reply

hi2u solo...

No one is arguing against D.chap being the thing to have. But this was about which is the closest to a D.chap (which btw we answered ages ago).

There are times when fastcast is a useful stat for enfeebling, but there are times when you want all the m.acc/skill you can get to land the spell, and then you need wise cap (if you don't have D.chap).

And I just don't see why you are arguing that he should use less m.acc/skill (in situations where it is needed) just because he doesn't have the best skill item.

Thats like saying people should TP in Bull necklace if they don't have a Peacock charm as the bull will make them hit harder... No people without peacock charm should be using Chiv chain or Spectacles.
[+]
 Valefor.Sketchkat
Server: Valefor
user: sketchkat
By Valefor.Sketchkat 2009-10-31 08:57:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:

I love that analogy, fits quite well, AND made me laugh, lol. Thumbs up!
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-31 08:58:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Dusk hat or GTFO!
 Bahamut.Yash
user: Yashi
By Bahamut.Yash 2009-10-31 10:17:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I digged out some mathmatics. Not very good at this so please correct me when wrong.

Example:

X x Y = Z

X= times Bind is resisted
Y= time in sec without Bind available (Recast)
Z= time in sec with unbound mob

Bind - Recast 40sec
Haste - 15% Recast-Reduction
Fast-Cast III - 10% Recast-Reduction
AF Hat - 5% Recast Reduction

Recast with AF:
40s x 0,85 x 0,85 = 28,9s

Recast with Wise:
40s x 0,85 x 0,90 = 30,6s

We assume 3INT (if not at soft cap) = 3% Hitrate and 5Macc = 5% Hitrate.

For AF:
X x 28,9s = Z
For Wise:
(X-2) x 30,6 = Z

To find the point, where both are equal:

X x 28,9s = (X-2)x 30,6s
1,7X = 61,2
X = 36

X = 36 so 36/100 resisted spells -> 64% Hitrate.

If your Hitrate is <64% AF should be better.
If your Hitrate is >64% Wise should be better.

That is just my little and poor mathematical assumption of what is better. I know it misses INT-cap and semiresist. Please correct me and sorry for my poor english.

If you really really NEED Bind to fight a Mob then <64% isn't a Hitrate where I would even think about to try it.

If you hit the cap then Fast-Cast shouldnt be a big deal with spell lasting full time almost everytime. I would prefer Enmity-, Regen (W.Mask) or Refresh (D.chap or Vermi). Only time i would use AF over Wise is City-Dynamis (see above).
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-10-31 10:26:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty much. The only time you'll want to take the recast reduction over actually landing it is if your chances of landing it are SO SLIM that you need to make it up through quantity.

Quote:
The only time a RDM would enfeeble anything that could resist while wearing a Warlock is during a party setting. Meaning, if you are the only RDM in the alliance, and they are trusting you and only you to land enfeebles on mob(s) then you are basically screwed without a duelist.

Enfeebling in a party situation on RDM 51+ is a complete joke. 95% of mobs+ will rarely if ever resist anything you throw their way... only the odd mob like Khimaira will resist your Slows/Paras enough to be annoying. People often made RDMs come /blm for King Behemoth, but I never had issues sticking Gravity without. RDM in a party situation is easy mode.

EDIT: Actually, this would be about the only situation where AF1 hat would be useful to use over Wise Cap, since on most mobs you will be capped with merits/HQ stave/good gear.

Quote:
hi2u solo...

This :( my Fausts when I didn't have Duelist's Chapeau were quite a bit harder than when I got it. Zippy will resist you a fair bit as well unless the rest of your gear is very good. Even SC would... and that's just the common sky ones. There is a lot of hard prey out there.

And yeah, Enfeebling Magic skill does not increase duration at all. Bind/Grav duration is entirely random (though Gravity is also based on the mob's "Gravity limit", and Bind can be based on a "Bind limit" if applicable to that mob -- rarer than "Gravity limit"s.). You can sometimes land a Bind for 30 seconds, sometimes you'll land it for 1 second.

Elite Beret is never better than Wise Cap. Don't use it.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8