Wise Cap Or Elite Beret For RDM?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » Wise Cap or Elite Beret for RDM?
Wise Cap or Elite Beret for RDM?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2009-10-30 15:02:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I have to see if I can find the formulas for these things... Only way to be sure. Test data is fine, but eh.. =\ Not interested in jeopardy, more interested in how it's actually calculated.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-30 15:04:29
Link | Quote | Reply

fair call
 Asura.Slamm
Server: Asura
user: Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-10-30 15:04:41
Link | Quote | Reply

basically think of it this way

if you parsed your magic hit rate on a non NM mob (not NM cos they build resist)

then using the above rules would increase it by those %s until you hit 95%

some guy spent months testing it on elementals lol

http://robonosto.blogspot.com/2008/12/on-magic-resist-rates.html

above is part of it
 Pandemonium.Isiolia
Server: Pandemonium
user: Isiolia
By Pandemonium.Isiolia 2009-10-30 15:31:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

No INT enfeebles have a potency. They're all just Resist%.

What that means is if you have 0 INT and enough M.ACC/Skill to make up for it, sleep/sleep2 will always last for 1 minute and 1:30, respectively.

Not like Slow II where more MND=Slower.

Blind series do, if I recall, it's just that the dINT needed to cap the effect is low enough that it's basically irrelevant (I mean, other than that it's blind).

Far as Wise vs Elite, I would probably give the nod to Wise due to it being applicable to Dark magic (though I tend to favor AF/turban for most of those, since most that RDM cast have long recasts). Has a little MP on it in case you're casting at high MP levels, etc. It's just slightly more versatile, unless you have other jobs that could make use of the Elite.

Neither are going to be appreciably different from one another for enfeebling, and really using AF/+1 for INT-based and one of several options for MND-based spells (Errant/+1, Yigit, Goliard) will be darn close as well. While they may only net you 2 MAcc versus 4-5, it's still in the ballpark, and you'll want them along for other reasons like HMP, FC, or potency.

Prolly balance it with whatever else you're carrying.
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-10-30 15:34:58
Link | Quote | Reply

there were some tests on blind a while ago

they said it determined your int vs target mnd and had the data to show it

although that would be weird if true, so it might of been just *** lol (false data maybe?)
 Pandemonium.Isiolia
By Pandemonium.Isiolia 2009-10-30 15:44:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember reading that too, but not much in terms of follow-up. The end-result is still needing INT on the caster side, just not very much.

Kurayami 'jistu are also the same potency as Blind max, so depending on if/when you actually need Blind, it may already be covered.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-10-30 15:45:52
Link | Quote | Reply

How did I think it was Dark Magic :( in that case, there is no point whatsoever in the Elite Beret for RDM!

Quote:
Any non-relic hat RDM that I have seen solo anything wears an Elite.
I think all wise gear is crap and wouldn't waste my time with the -inv for the rarest situation you could use any of it.

I solo'd using Wise Cap instead of Elite Beret before AF2 hat as well! And rarest situation meaning "INT enfeebles" without AF2 hat? :P

The Wise Pigaches aren't half bad either if you don't have the rare/ex pieces.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-30 15:48:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
How did I think it was Dark Magic :( in that case, there is no point whatsoever in the Elite Beret for RDM!

It does look cooler though. Also what about rdm/whm banishing!?!
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-10-30 15:50:29
Link | Quote | Reply

hq elite beret same as nq wise cap for enfeeble.

never understood why so many rdms use it lol
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-10-30 15:51:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I think all wise gear is crap

That sort of stigma is why :p

Head and Feet are pretty gewd.

And oh god Banish :(
 Pandemonium.Isiolia
By Pandemonium.Isiolia 2009-10-30 15:52:37
Link | Quote | Reply

MAcc would still apply for that I'd think - the main reason I usually use Banish is for the reduction of damage type penalties on ghosts n' skellies, and I don't think resisted damage affects that.

I dunno, I only carry AF+1, Relic+1, and W. Turban on RDM usually.
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-10-30 15:54:14
Link | Quote | Reply

turban actually gives more -recast than af hat does

most people won't believe it tho lol
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-30 15:59:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Slamm said:
turban actually gives more -recast than af hat does most people won't believe it tho lol

Probably because wiki says they are equal.
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-10-30 16:02:28
Link | Quote | Reply

fastcast is applied after haste in recast so if you have 10 of both and spell is usually 100sec recast

thats (100x.9)x.9 = 81 sec

not 100x.8 =80 as most people would think

but at the end of the day the difference is so small

easy way to test:

cast haste on yourself and get a brd to do double march on you = 35% total haste

then with stock 75 fast cast + af hat thats 15% fast cast

cast a spell, its recast will not be halved

i tested this a while back and did the math
 Pandemonium.Isiolia
By Pandemonium.Isiolia 2009-10-30 16:02:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Slamm said:
turban actually gives more -recast than af hat does

most people won't believe it tho lol

It depends. In a vacuum, they're the same. In practice, it depends on what stat you have more of. Of course, a RDM has -10% recast from native traits, and -15% from self-haste...so yeah, Haste gear will outweigh Fast Cast in any concerted effort to lower recasts.

It's really quite close though, and if you aren't double-swapping gear in a windower script, yet want the reduced casting time, AF hat n' Relic body are still pretty solid compared to turban and Goliard for recasts.
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-10-30 16:06:59
Link | Quote | Reply

yeh without spellcast its really pointless

but still most of the time you will have more haste than fast cast

15% spell haste should always have on with our new /ja +20% with turban

max fast cast u got 21% if i remember right

so you would only really need 2% of gear haste to make turban deserve its spot over af hat for recast times.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-30 16:29:45
Link | Quote | Reply

So then by that token af/relic+ haste would be .68. relic/walmart still .68 walmart/gol .684.

So really until you get more haste af/relic is still exactly as good. Well better cause your casting faster. And even at higher haste amounts your still looking at changes so small that on most spells it is just gunna truncate it to the same time lol. Not to mention your already only .18 away from the -recast cap
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-10-30 16:32:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
So then by that token af/relic haste would be .68. relic/walmart still .68 walmart/gol .684.

So really until you get more haste af/relic is still exactly as good. Well better cause your casting faster. And even at higher haste amounts your still looking at changes so small that on most spells it is just gunna truncate it to the same time lol. Not to mention your already only .18 away from the -recast cap

nah cos as soon as you get more haste than your current fast cast you are better off with turban.
and to get to that point is so easy since you can full time having haste spell on yourself with the /ja we got recently (forgot its name)

also you can get casting time benefits still :

equip af1 hat > start casting spell > equip turban > spell finishes > back to idle set

you won't notice the difference but its there
 Bahamut.Pjohn
user: Pjohn
By Bahamut.Pjohn 2009-10-30 16:34:40
Link | Quote | Reply

When thinking about recast timers I can only think that you are talking about shadow timers.

With good gear you can reach the lowest ich with the AF but need the walmart for Ni or is it the other way around I forget.
Toss a bard in there and may as well just use the AF.
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-10-30 16:37:11
Link | Quote | Reply

turban performs better with march on because then you have more haste

basically unless you use script or spellcast macros its pointless to ever use turban

but if you do equip it midcast on shadows and cures and any other spell where you don't need gear for resist or potency with af1 hat equipped at precast.
 Pandemonium.Isiolia
By Pandemonium.Isiolia 2009-10-30 16:38:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Aye, that's why I said any concerted effort. Someone with no Haste up, naked, would technically get better results from AF. Someone with no Haste gear other than Turban, but with all the Fast Cast gear, would basically see no difference.

Most anything past that starts to favor Haste more and more.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-30 16:39:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Slamm said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
So then by that token af/relic haste would be .68. relic/walmart still .68 walmart/gol .684. So really until you get more haste af/relic is still exactly as good. Well better cause your casting faster. And even at higher haste amounts your still looking at changes so small that on most spells it is just gunna truncate it to the same time lol. Not to mention your already only .18 away from the -recast cap
nah cos as soon as you get more haste than your current fast cast you are better off with turban. and to get to that point is so easy since you can full time having haste spell on yourself with the /ja we got recently (forgot its name)
Stop disagreeing with me then saying exactly what I just said! Also it is composure and I full timed haste before that and I was using haste spell in those numbers lol. af/relic is .8*.85, relic/walmart is .85*.8 and gol/walmart is .9*.76... so really for it to be better you need another source of haste too. And either way before the effects got significant like more than fractions of a second that may or may not round up/down you will hit the cap lol.

Asura.Slamm said:
also you can get casting time benefits still : equip af1 hat > start casting spell > equip turban > spell finishes > back to idle set you won't notice the difference but its there

Not everyone has spell cast
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-10-30 16:43:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Stop disagreeing with me then saying exactly what I just said!

i was only disagreeing with a small part of what you said : )

Ramuh.Dasva said:

Not everyone has spell cast

yeh thats why i said if you have it : D
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-30 19:20:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Why not just have a duelist chapeau and a warlock's chapeau?

I mean, those are both very free items (and you kindof need to get the warlock's chapeau anyway, otherwise you are a failmage.)

Duelist Chapeau is rare, but I mean come on now, you just have to spam either Dyn-Xarc or Dyn-Tav. Both are not that hard to get either...

Disclaimer: Not going to read back 5 pages of this because my post just asks a question. If it has already been answered just say it has been answered on page # and I'll read that page #.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-10-30 19:39:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Elite Beret vs Wise Cap is just what to use before D.Chap :p
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-10-30 19:41:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Korpg said:
Why not just have a duelist chapeau and a warlock's chapeau?

Way to miss the point of the thread.

If you have D.chap then you don't need wise or elite (except maybe for dark magic).

It took me a little over 6 months to get my d.chap (from starting dynamis) so its not something you can just pick up of the AH (which is what we were talking about)

Edit: @ Raen: Could you update your DRK WS builds to reflect what you use currently? I am just starting to get my gear to gether (2 piece of heca, af+1 soon etc) for my DRK (@ 74) and wanted to see how the pros do it.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-30 21:26:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Use Warlock's before Duelist then.

And use other pieces for adding on enfeebling (like Torque).

If the two choices are Wise Cap or Elite Beret for RDM, then the answer is Warlock.
 Bahamut.Fyyvoaa
user: Fyyvoaa
By Bahamut.Fyyvoaa 2009-10-30 21:30:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Too bad that wasn't the question (even though I kinda agree >.>)
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-30 21:37:34
Link | Quote | Reply

It should be the obvious answer.

Both of the choices suck compared to Warlock.

I mean, sure, out of the 2 Wise Cap is better. But Warlock is better than Wise Cap anyway. And you should have gotten your Warlock at level 60 at the latest.

If you don't have Warlock, you shouldn't be on RDM. Miser Murphy is SOLOABLE by a level 58 RDM/BLM. The doll just needs 4 people to kill (since it takes 4 people to open the door).

It is not hard to do. Believe me, its very easy to get.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-30 21:51:27
Link | Quote | Reply

There is no way INT+3 beats M.ACC+5.

Even in best case scenarios, INT+3 is only M.ACC+3. And INT does nothing for INT-based Enfeeble potency.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8