2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Odyssey » The Odyssey - || Strategy and Discussion ||
The Odyssey - || Strategy and Discussion ||
First Page 2 3 ... 46 47 48 ... 237 238 239
By soralin 2020-07-30 02:26:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Can confirm the Twilight Paladin approach works.

Pld/Blm, wears Twilight set for Auto RR and stacks refresh gear.

Paladin runs through pack, aggros it up, thief goes in and picks lock at leisure.

Enemies kind of do nothing for a solid 5 secs after killing pld so you can safely pick lock then sneak up.

Paladin can just zombie its way around.
By Pantafernando 2020-07-30 02:52:19
Link | Quote | Reply

BTW, regarding the halos being considered a Nostos kill, unfortunelly i believe they dont reward gil or jp by killing neither halos neither beastman when you exit.
By soralin 2020-07-30 03:03:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Other stuff to note: Mimic doesnt seem to care about party members, paladin was able to run right past mimic with sneak/invis and casually tractor me to wherever I needed to be, easy peasy.

Ended up 100% clearing the boxes up to and including floor 5 of Sheol B, despite 4 mimic encounters along the way, strat basically totally invalidates their threat.

We're still getting used to the layout, and the fresh 99 paladin doesnt even have move speed pants yet so I expect we will go MUCH faster once we nail the layout and pld has better move speed and some fast cast gear too.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2020-07-30 04:46:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Codegen said: »
yes I'd say that one is from a chest, but you list 2 levels from chests and 2 from coffers and none from NMs.
Right now my B stats are MM level 3:
-1 MM level on the 6th unique NM (I am at 15 unique ones killed)
-1 MM level from chests (I have 119 opened)
-1 MM level from an aurum strongbox (still just at 1)

I did not get any level from 134 nostos. I did not get any level from 10 coffers opened.

This is why I say that it doesn't look like an actual hurdle-based system, or at least the hurdles aren't in the units we're measuring.

Also, woof, 5 mimics today using skeleton keys.
By geigei 2020-07-30 05:38:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
Also, woof, 5 mimics today using skeleton keys.
My first B run 5 mimics out of 10 chests, living keys.

Edit: Is there a point killing mimics? took me 4mins and dropped nothing.
 Asura.Aldolol
Server: Asura
user: Aldolol
By Asura.Aldolol 2020-07-30 05:58:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Killing them gives a large chest from the final checkpoint.
By geigei 2020-07-30 06:03:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aldolol said: »
Killing them gives a large chest from the final checkpoint.
oh snap, killed and exit w/o going to the end.
By Pantafernando 2020-07-30 07:24:26
Link | Quote | Reply

What was your setup against mimic?

I went MNK only DD on it, RUN BRD GEO MNK WHM THF(dead). While the MNK subtle blow made the fight pretty smooth, BoG frailty and dia ii were just pulling my shijins around 5k. Hits for 200ish, crits for 300ish. Extreme magic defense (light for 300 over a 4,5k ws with aeonic aftermath). Took me 10 mins. Maybe i could raise THF to help with dps but it was going so smoothly that i decided to just lets the MNK do its job.

Plus, having more DD taking dmg would also require more curing and WHM didnt have much trouble pulling hate (i guess next time gonna do the enmity songs on it).
By geigei 2020-07-30 07:59:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
What was your setup against mimic?

brd/nin mnk sch geo thf and an useless august.

Geo not idris, thf only used for chest, was doing shijin>savage half the fight, the rest mnk solo light vs-vs with impetus, formless doubles dmg on melee hits, barthunder/attunement won't block all stuns, SV honor/min5/min4/ballad3/scherzo, frailty bubble and bolster at 50%.

This was my first try so buffs were a bit random.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-07-30 08:06:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I see, this formless strike is a nice hint, didnt thought about this.

If formless can double dmg, means the mimic should have just a very noticeable PDT/MDT

Maybe breath WS could do more dmg? Requiescat maybe?
By geigei 2020-07-30 08:11:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I will try again with malaise instead and add some burst from sch, a good helix would be nice to speed up.
By Pantafernando 2020-07-30 08:15:33
Link | Quote | Reply

The skillchain dmg (at least light dmg) is noticeable Reduced. Same results i was having when using leadne salute on it.

Unless he just favor one element and reduce all thee other, my guess is that all magical dmg will be severelly reduced against him. Worth to try though if there is some element he could be more susceptible. AMAN mimics seems to change its magic reduction, maybe not that elaborated but i guess odyssey mimiic could have some exploit to be used.
By geigei 2020-07-30 08:22:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Gonna ditch august for a rdm buddy and see how enspells/magic ws's do.
By Pantafernando 2020-07-30 08:39:14
Link | Quote | Reply

And i think i will ditch the RUN And WHM for a PLD.

Given how much dmg was being dealt, i dont see a problem PLD healing with bonus point of keeping hate
By Chimerawizard 2020-07-30 11:07:59
Link | Quote | Reply

If mimics have some damage penalty, might be worth a test to see if tamahawk can get rid of it.
[+]
By Sadistic667 2020-07-30 11:59:20
Link | Quote | Reply

What is the maximum amount of chests per floor people have seen?

My last few runs have been 3 per floor (not including respawns as coffers or Aurums); wondering if this is the cap and I can stop searching a floor once opening 3 up.
By Taint 2020-07-30 12:02:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Sadistic667 said: »
What is the maximum amount of chests per floor people have seen?

My last few runs have been 3 per floor (not including respawns as coffers or Aurums); wondering if this is the cap and I can stop searching a floor once opening 3 up.

3 per floor.
By Pantafernando 2020-07-30 12:07:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, you cam stop looking for more in that floor
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2020-07-30 12:22:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Yep, 3 per floor, 18 chests per run (minus mimics).
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2020-07-30 12:34:13
Link | Quote | Reply

237 Chests:
552 hides
159 boxes

3 drops per chest, 22% box, 78% hide, 12.33 hides per chest average

21 Coffers:
39 hides
24 boxes

3 drops per coffer, 38% box, 62% hide, 19 hides per coffer average

2 Aurum Strongboxes:
2 boxes
3 hides
1 large box

Not worth breaking it out. Definitely the most valuable, though.

With a 20% mimic rate and a little over one coffer per run, that's about 200 hides expected per complete run.
[+]
By alamihgo 2020-07-30 17:14:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Arciela managed to do one of her famous AoEs and ditched the Manta NM adds with her noble sacrifice, but the NM kept his regen buff. Oops.

But suppose one player -ga and sac the adds while the other runs away and sheds NM enmity. The buff should fall off after the NM goes neutral, right?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By soralin 2020-07-30 17:55:48
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-07-30 18:20:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it would be more detailed to tell which key were used to spawn the mimic.

Two models can be considered when opening chests:

- Either the mimics are pre-determined when you enter odyssey, meaning there is no actual difference between keys regarding mimic spawn rate.

- Or mimics have a pop rate after your key fails to open the chest, meaning using higher quality keys could result in less mimics spawned.

Personally, i use skelleton keys and consider my spawn rate around 10~15% per chest that i try to open (i didnt consider opening fails, gonna start tracking this).
 Asura.Kusare
Server: Asura
user: gaira
By Asura.Kusare 2020-07-30 18:48:20
Link | Quote | Reply

the amount of mimics from living keys isn't high enough to warrant needing skeleton keys, whatever the difference is. you're just eating into profits using skeleton.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-30 18:50:26
Link | Quote | Reply

It depends. You can do Key Ring belt a few times and on mules and just stockpile a bunch, then use them. quest takes 5min or so and is repeatable weekly. If you buy, that's another story.
By soralin 2020-07-30 18:59:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Or just craft your own skeleton keys, considering you are a TH8 thief, the sheep teeth and bat fangs arent exactly hard to build up a stockpile.

I craft up a dozen stacks of skeleton keys and they last me quite awhile.
[+]
 Siren.Codegen
Server: Siren
user: Genome
By Siren.Codegen 2020-07-30 19:01:05
Link | Quote | Reply

alamihgo said: »
Arciela managed to do one of her famous AoEs and ditched the Manta NM adds with her noble sacrifice, but the NM kept his regen buff. Oops.

But suppose one player -ga and sac the adds while the other runs away and sheds NM enmity. The buff should fall off after the NM goes neutral, right?
Yeah at times I just give up on using King or even Ygnas because of the firaga MB and random aoe tp roots from ygnas.. Rarely it helps if they get killed right away and you lose hate on a group but if they get cured by other trusts first you end up will a cascade that wipes all trusts.
By Chimerawizard 2020-07-30 20:25:45
Link | Quote | Reply

soralin said: »
Or just craft your own skeleton keys, considering you are a TH8 thief, the sheep teeth and bat fangs arent exactly hard to build up a stockpile.

I craft up a dozen stacks of skeleton keys and they last me quite awhile.
living keys:
Rafflesia Vine: Yorcia Weald, north of the frontier station are a few camps. I can easily get a stack in just a few minutes.
Skeleton Keys:
Bat Fangs: Garbage citadel, any low level bat or triple bat; the ones in serket's old spawn area were added later and don't drop anything.
Sheep Tooth: aby-la theine has all the sheep teeth. Also, if it's close to 08:00, try and snipe the stack from the bonecraft guild.
EDIT: Carbon Fiber: If you're in aby-grauberg for some reason, can Djinn Ash turns into 3~12 carbon fiber(alch.47) and in relation to time, can farm them even faster than bat fangs. Nice gil saver if you're bored without a purpose or happen to be farming some plates/souls.
Glass Fiber: check the mog garden's mineral vein for meteorites. each one can be turned into 3~12 glass fibers(alch.62).
While these two can be purchased from the npc, if you're like me and don't put much worth your time spent standing around town, it can cut your weekly key costs a little.
[+]
By soralin 2020-07-30 21:15:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Chimerawizard said: »
living keys:
Rafflesia Vine: Yorcia Weald, north of the frontier station are a few camps. I can easily get a stack in just a few minutes.

You can also just buy living keys for cheap from NPCs if your nation is in third place. Very low effort haha. I think they are like 50K/stack? Cheap as hell.

For bats I also like Fei'yin
First Page 2 3 ... 46 47 48 ... 237 238 239