The Odyssey - || Strategy and Discussion ||
First Page 2 3 ... 36 37 38 ... 238 239 240
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-09 16:22:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Taniwha - (Bakunawa) MNK, Hundred Fists
Has access to double attack trait (hit 4x in a row several times, so twice per fist). His adds, Taniwha's Kraken share the same traits and will attack 2-4 times per round as well. Uses standard Kraken moves, Cross Attack being somewhat strong.

The adds stay up after killing the main boss (though only it will drop items) so you have to kill them as well. They were no stronger than your averag Nostos monster.
 Phoenix.Logical
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Logical 2020-07-09 16:30:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Taniwha - (Bakunawa) MNK, Hundred Fists
Has access to double attack trait (hit 4x in a row several times, so twice per fist). His adds, Taniwha's Kraken share the same traits and will attack 2-4 times per round as well. Uses standard Kraken moves, Cross Attack being somewhat strong.

The adds stay up after killing the main boss (though only it will drop items) so you have to kill them as well. They were no stronger than your averag Nostos monster.

Good stuff, did you take it down solo or with a group? Were you able to determine if their accuracy was low enough to evade most of those attacks pretty easily or is ninja just going to lose shadows immediately once those adds spawn?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-09 16:56:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I had a PLD friend who teamed up with me for the run. I don't know about evasion checks, possibly something you would need to test out with Malignance set. As far as surviving this NM, I would proc HF on it first, and wait til it wears off before forcing him to summon his adds. Then, you can easily kill them in 1-2 WS once they pop but the risk is much lower. Otherwise, adds+HF and you're basically done.

I could see a really good Monk or Dark Knight handling that fight easily though, and they did not hit too hard
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-07-09 17:19:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont know if already known but mimic just "hate" the keyer.

Once the keyer pops and everyone engages it, once everyone is dead, everyone but the keyer can raise safely that the mimic wont aggro it.

But as soon as the keyer raises, mimic will drawn him in.

Weird mechanics.

Also, mimic seems immune to nitro lullaby and elemental seal sleep II (/BLM).

Only way to recover the keyer seems to beat the mimic or somehow retrieve the body. As i had sound adds around, i didnt try but maybe if a tank can hold it till the keyer raises and run off, in theory the tank can die and raise safely, and resume keying.

Also i had aggroed a bunch or worms but i managed to ran from it. Seems they didnt keep aggro as i could warp without having to come back and kill them.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Pantafernando 2020-07-09 17:30:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Tractor works? Everytime i read about tractor, it never works where it matter
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-09 17:31:33
Link | Quote | Reply

You can lose aggro on NMs in Odyssey as well. I managed to pull Gloios Slime NM from the second landing after the top stairs in Odyssey A all the way down to the bottom because I didn't want to fight him around skeletons and was trying to use the stairs to abuse height advantage. When I got to the bottom of stairs to position him, I noticed he stopped at the middle of stairs to stop chasing me.
 Fenrir.Melphina
Server: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2020-07-09 19:12:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't notice it mentioned yet, so sorry if this has already been said. I just got done with a Sheol B run with a static group doing the mimic farm method. We spawned two mimics on Sheol B first floor and I noticed that in addition to possessing what appears to be a MUCH stronger stun than the sheol A mimics (which isn't surprising with the higher Ilvl), death trap also has an additional effect of reducing tp. I was getting hit by death trap regularly at around 1200-1500 TP and getting knocked back to the 500-700 range. Weaponskilling on them is extremely frustrating because you're constantly battling not only being stun locked but having your tp eaten.

I'm not sure exactly how much TP is drained, but it's a LOT. At least 500, and it almost looked like it was 750 or even 1000 TP reduction at points. One of my group theorized after the run that it might actually be a percentile reduction that cuts your current TP in half. It did feel variable to me so I'm tempted to believe that theory. I'll be entering for my second run shortly so I'll try and see if I can get a more exact read on it.

EDIT: Never mind. We ended up not spawning any mimics on our second run. We spent the time collecting teleports and fighting a few nms. We don't go every day so I won't be running again until next week. Maybe someone else wants to take a stab at pinning down exactly how the tp reduction is calculated?
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
Server: Asura
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2020-07-09 20:01:20
Link | Quote | Reply

It wouldn't be the first time an attack had a TP-halving property. Pteraketoses and Yztargs do that with some of their physical attacks.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-09 20:54:20
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Pantafernando said: »
Just theorycrafting but if you can make a party and just cruel joke everything in zone, you can finish with 2.1M per char when you hit the exit.

Though, it should be impossible to actually kill that many mobs, but extra cash never hurt, and this is a clean cash.

My friend who has more experience with Cruel Joking Odyssey said that even in A, dark based mobs were resisting it. It also has no half resist state and I think macc is capped at 95%, so there is always 5% chance to miss some mob too (I guess you could kill those few normal way tho).

On an earlier run, i was able to land Doom on a group of magic pots, but after a minute, none of them died and there was no "Doom effect wears off" message. Had to kill them manually. So magic pots appear to have an immunity to death attacks, the same as beastmen.
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2020-07-09 22:39:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Can confirm tractor works. Casting distance > Draw-in Distance.
[+]
 Siren.Codegen
Server: Siren
user: Genome
By Siren.Codegen 2020-07-10 00:53:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I was soloing Sheol B on monk, killed halo and sahagin guards and then popped the vortex.

I got the Roc "Langmeidong" (I think the equivalent of Arke), it used perfect dodge (so THF) and summoned 2 more rocs, I kept fighting the main while countering the other 2, I think they were synchronizing their tp moves and can do decent burst damage, but thanks to mantra it wasn't too bad for my monk. After I killed the main NM the 2 rocs it summoned did not disappear so i had to kill those 2 after the NM. NM dropped 3 hides and a box, summoned rocs didn't drop anything.
I ran up to the exit and got 60k gil and another hide box

Chests required 9 points to open (I did a solo run as THF yesterday and opened 10 chests).

I have moogle mastery 14 from soloing on monk in A, but in B it still says none.
By Pantafernando 2020-07-10 02:57:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Arislan said: »

Can confirm tractor works. Casting distance > Draw-in Distance.

Well so i guess i can pretty much recover from wipe due mimics.

I gonna set up my plan with opening all 18 chests through keys till i Can get the lowest cost on chest, then gonna work on halos and opening chest with izzat for a chance to coffer, then keying coffers till i get the lowest coffer Izzat cost, then repeat pattern with opening chests and Coffers with izzats for a chance on Aurum, then key it.

The remaining time either farming mobs or halos for extra izzat or NMs.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-07-10 17:40:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, farmed one agon halo and used the izzat to pop a NM in the vortex.

The enemy that popped was Maverick Maude, an Malboro/Ameratat.

Seems a warrior type of mob, used 1h Mighty Strike around 50%. Then popped 2 add: Maude's Ameretat.

Probably due Mighty Strike but the fight was well controlled till that 1h when he started to deal heavy dmg and downed my tank followed by the others. It was a wipe.

One aspect to notice is that Maverick is either very magic defensive or highly resistant to darkness. My DDs were THF + COR, THF with Rudra, COR with Leaden (DP non-glowed). Given the power of the COR, i used GEO-Malaise at start. Still, Leaden dmg barely went over 5 digits and quickly dropped to 500. Rudras, though, even without att bubble, was dealing very high dmg without any any noticeable physical buff (honor and minuet only).

If i happen to fight it again, gonna swap DP to Naeg and spam Savage.

At some point, when all was already messed and done, melee changed Maverick to adds. Im not sure what happened but both adds despawned soon after DDs engaged adds. Im not sure if its some shadow type of add (which one hit or just low dmg going to wipe it) or if the adds are just temporary (and maybe related to the 1h).

I didnt notice any aura on this one.
 Shiva.Eightball
By Shiva.Eightball 2020-07-10 19:33:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok I searched this forum and I don’t see anything about how to enter Sheol B and BG doesn’t say anything.
By Pantafernando 2020-07-10 19:35:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Complete Sheol A RoE, then the next time you try to enter the flux in Rabao, it will give you the option to enter Sheol B
 Shiva.Eightball
By Shiva.Eightball 2020-07-10 19:36:55
Link | Quote | Reply

... wish I had known about ROE last night ><

Thx.
By Mrgrim 2020-07-10 20:15:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Which keys do you use for opening chests in odyssey by the way. Is it Living keys or Skeleton keys, it has been maybe 16 years since I used keys.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-10 20:35:45
Link | Quote | Reply

skeleton, living, or thief tools
By Shichishito 2020-07-10 20:47:49
Link | Quote | Reply

are there any differences besides the price? guess its the next tier of reveals after the TH one so we got to wait another decade or two?
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2020-07-10 20:48:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Eightball said: »
Ok I searched this forum and I don’t see anything about how to enter Sheol B and BG doesn’t say anything.
Did you check the patch notes?

Sheol B has been added to Odyssey.
In Sheol B, players are able to receive materials different to those in Sheol A. These materials can be used to augment equipment described later.

Conditions for Entry
Be in possession of a moglophone key item.
Have completed the Records of Eminence objective Sheol A.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-10 21:20:02
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as surviving this NM, I would proc HF on it first, and wait til it wears off before forcing him to summon his adds. Then, you can easily kill them in 1-2 WS once they pop but the risk is much lower. Otherwise, adds+HF and you're basically done.

@Logical
I was mistaken on this. We thought we had saw a fight where the NM used his SP separate from spawning adds earlier when we fought the Kraken , but after doing 3 NMs just now and talking to Geriond earlier about this, I was incorrect. The SP ability used is in conjunction with it spawning adds, which usually happens around 50% (but it can happen well before this; just had Hecteyes use as early as 80%), so you cant spawn his 1hr move without dealing with adds. My mistake for misinformation. You can try using Issekigan for the adds on Kraken, though, but it might be rough.

As you already knew, the gimmick is the 1hr + 2 adds for every NM, so you have to get creative in dealing with it if you are solo.

---
Simir - Colibri (Perfect Dodge, THF) - Will eat your food still :)

Akidu - Damselfly (Mighty Strikes, WAR)

Bes - Hecteyes (Chainspell, RDM)

Zacatzontli - Roc (Benediction, WHM) - This guy can dread spike for pretty hard, and have fun with Benediction full healing.

MM15 that run. Have 6 unique NMs, 1 chest, 116 Nostos
By Draylo 2020-07-10 22:03:52
Link | Quote | Reply

So it's still boring?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-10 22:21:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty much.

More NMs:

Kuk (lol) - Shadow Dragon (Mighty Strikes, WAR) - Uses Chaos Blade + Voidsong, and adds can do the same. Mighty Strikes > Body Slam will get a few trusts if you're not careful, and would probably have killed me with Chaos Blade on had I not been NIN. Funny, the curse from Kuk lasts 3 hours if you dont remove it. Took a PLD from 3200HP to 500HP, so its really dangerous fight when that goes off with Voidsongs. Was able to kill him with chaos blade > body slam spam. Also uses Petro Eyes of course

Allergorhai- Worm (Perfect Dodge, THF). Spawns two worms to it's left and right. idk if it Draws in, didn't try running out of range. Spawned this on Floor 3, took 4 mats.

Langmeidong - Roc, Vedrfolnir actually (Perfect Dodge, THF)
 Siren.Codegen
By Siren.Codegen 2020-07-10 23:52:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I did another NM run, soloed on monk with 5 trusts, popping 3 NMs with items:

Man-kheper-re, beetle, jill's item, used invincible plus 2 NM adds, easy.
Gravehunter, corse, Muut item, used manafont at 40% plus 2 NM adds, not too hard.
Bendigeidfran, crystal golem, largantua item, used blood weapon at 36% plus 2 adds, easy.

from my first solo run before, Langmeidong felt a bit harder but probably it was because i wasn't expecting the 2 summons on 2hr and chose to stay on main one until it was dead, this time I killed adds first and they seemed even easier to solo.
 Phoenix.Logical
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Logical 2020-07-11 11:11:33
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as surviving this NM, I would proc HF on it first, and wait til it wears off before forcing him to summon his adds. Then, you can easily kill them in 1-2 WS once they pop but the risk is much lower. Otherwise, adds+HF and you're basically done.

@Logical
I was mistaken on this. We thought we had saw a fight where the NM used his SP separate from spawning adds earlier when we fought the Kraken , but after doing 3 NMs just now and talking to Geriond earlier about this, I was incorrect. The SP ability used is in conjunction with it spawning adds, which usually happens around 50% (but it can happen well before this; just had Hecteyes use as early as 80%), so you cant spawn his 1hr move without dealing with adds. My mistake for misinformation. You can try using Issekigan for the adds on Kraken, though, but it might be rough.

As you already knew, the gimmick is the 1hr + 2 adds for every NM, so you have to get creative in dealing with it if you are solo.

---
Simir - Colibri (Perfect Dodge, THF) - Will eat your food still :)

Akidu - Damselfly (Mighty Strikes, WAR)

Bes - Hecteyes (Chainspell, RDM)

Zacatzontli - Roc (Benediction, WHM) - This guy can dread spike for pretty hard, and have fun with Benediction full healing.

MM15 that run. Have 6 unique NMs, 1 chest, 116 Nostos

Thanks so much for the info! I'll be doing NM's runs again starting Monday so this info is helpful in planning how I'm going to deal with it. I have done a farming run on ninja spawning no NM's and gotten 80 Hides. I've also just done two THF runs getting 164 and 189 respectively so THF still works well. However, in my very small sample size I spawned mimics far more often and Living keys were much less useful then in Sheol A. The majority of chest took me 6-12 keys which is highly unusual. Skeleton keys appeared to work very well and always opened in the usual 1-3. Fortunately the Magic Eva set allowed me to resist stun on every mimic so dealing with them wasn't as problematic as I feared. More runs needed to see if Living Keys are indeed not a good idea on Sheol B... looking for others feedback who have done some runs on what they saw.

Oh! And I got a single chest with 3 boxes in it! I had not seen that before.
By Mrgrim 2020-07-11 23:29:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn mimics take 5-6 mins to bring down. *** got some serious DT going on them lol.
By Ermah 2020-07-12 04:23:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I think Living Keys work fine. Occasionally a chest will take 5-6 keys to open, but most of the chests open with a single key or two. I've done four runs to far with Thief, averaging 180 hides per run using Living Keys only.
 Asura.Kusare
Server: Asura
user: gaira
By Asura.Kusare 2020-07-12 04:50:43
Link | Quote | Reply

i've been doing all chests 1-6 in about 15-20min then taking the transporter down to 1 again to kill a bit. average about 150ish, sometimes you just don't get many boxes.
 Siren.Codegen
By Siren.Codegen 2020-07-12 21:16:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Codegen said: »
I did another NM run, soloed on monk with 5 trusts, popping 3 NMs with items:

Man-kheper-re, beetle, jill's item, used invincible plus 2 NM adds, easy.
Gravehunter, corse, Muut item, used manafont at 40% plus 2 NM adds, not too hard.
Bendigeidfran, crystal golem, largantua item, used blood weapon at 36% plus 2 adds, easy.

from my first solo run before, Langmeidong felt a bit harder but probably it was because i wasn't expecting the 2 summons on 2hr and chose to stay on main one until it was dead, this time I killed adds first and they seemed even easier to solo.

Soloed 4 more on monk,
Ishum (Grand Grenade's Ash) perfect ddodhe
Tripix (Bambrox's Shawl) Eagle Eye Shot
Akidu (Vermillion Fishfly's Wing) Mighty Strikes
Fornax (Volatile Cluster's Ash)

Those were all pretty easy t solo on monk with 5 support trusts, then I tried Taniwha on the 5th floor with mantra down and rushig for time, he did hundred fists, summoned the usual 2 more kraken but also he got a lucky 2700 damage cross attack, I recommend fighting that one on floor 1.
First Page 2 3 ... 36 37 38 ... 238 239 240