First Page 2 3 ... 248 249
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Saevel 2024-10-22 15:57:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
put Shadow Ring and Warder's Charm on all our characters in melee range"?

If I had a dime for every time I checked a dead player and saw he wasn't wearing either of these accessories after they ate magical damage in succession from Zissurus or TP moves/Spells, I'd be approaching a hundred dollars. I actually had to make a PDT-Waltz set on DNC because I noticed how any times I ended up dead in that set on stuff like Xevioso or even Sortie.

Stacking nullification helps a ton with survivability.

First is that SV Carol II is a 40% chance of any attack of that element doing 0 damage. Shadow ring is another 12% that stacks additively bringing it up to 52%. Finally barspells also stack additively up to 8% (technically 10 but we want relic legs) bringing the total to 60%. This makes three out of five attacks do zero damage instead of the two of five from just SV carrol II.

Absorb-damage stacks multiplicatively and unfortunately it's only 5% from warders charm. This would bring your 60% to just 62%. Up to the individual but I find there are better options, either JSE neck or anything with a good chunk of +HP.
By Felgarr 2024-10-22 16:02:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Felgarr said: »
1.) In KI#1, Bumba's aligned elemental absorption is WATER (no Ooze debuff from BST)

I don't have enough experience with the fight to say for myself but: is not landing ooze actually a loss...? I would assume you can still get 74% on KI#1 without Ooze, in fact I believe some of the reference videos I've been watching had Ooze miss (in their winning videos).

2.) In KI#2, Aura #1 is either M.Acc or MAB down (2/4 chance).
3.) In KI#2, Aura #2 is either M.Acc or MAB down (2/4 chance).

Does Bumba not have the normal array of auras or something? Should be phys attack, macc, matk, phys def, magic def, meva. This means macc/matk are 2/6, not 2/4.

4.) In KI#2, Wild Card fails to reset 1hr for another round of Kaustra (5/6 chance, maybe?)

If you want a 5 OR 6, like this case, and are using relic boots then 5 OR 6 is 4/9 or 44.44% chance. This means chance to fail because of WC fail is 55.55% chance.

5.) In KI#2, Bumba's aligned elemental absorption is DARKNESS (no Kaustra damage).

After he enters fetter mode (1 minute, I presume?) he no longer absorbs darkness damage.

Thanks for the clarifications. I'll update my notes. I was going from memory.

Regarding 4 vs 6 types of Auras, I honestly never saw all 6 so I cannot confirm.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2024-10-22 16:03:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Shiva.Thorny said: »
Justifying the attitude and allowing every group to convince themselves and their friends that the fights are only won and lost based on luck spreads that attitude to folks who have never even tried the fights.

This is called projection. Those are you personal thoughts and feelings, not anyone else's, much less my own.

Bad content design is just bad content design regardless of the players involved. Pointing out bad content design is no different then pointing out it's raining. No value judgements, it mere is. Insisting that it's not raining, while standing in said rain... well I'll leave it at that.

This is what happens when an unstoppable force, meets an immovable object. I will try my best to explain how luck plays a role in this fight, because trying to quantify luck vs skill here is actually quite difficult.

I was fortunate enough to do V25 Bumba with an extremely skilled, mature and patient group of people. We beat Bumba V25 after just 16 attempts. I think we were the epitome of maximum skill and player synergy, after we ironed out some minor kinks in the first 2-3 attempts. In fact, we beat Bumba v25 with almost 4 minutes remaining.

Full Bumba V25 notes can be found here: Bumba V25 Notes

Anyway, I want to point out all of the common and uncommon situations that we were subjected to an automatic LOSS based entirely on randomness/luck. (This means, a complete no-win scenario, where we had to exit and come back. It goes without saying, that in the interest of time, we chose to exit and come back instead of waiting out the timer for RP).

Keep in mind: it may be possible to overcome the negative outcomes below with future updates, power creep or newer gear. However, as of 10/22/2024, you should just exit and re-enter/re-attempt the fight if you see any of these random outcomes:

1.) In KI#1, Bumba's aligned elemental absorption is WATER (no Ooze debuff from BST)
4.) In KI#2, Wild Card fails to reset 1hr for another round of Kaustra (5/6 chance, maybe?)
5.) In KI#2, Bumba's aligned elemental absorption is DARKNESS (no Kaustra damage).

Having said this, everyone should be able to, at a minimum, understand how LUCK plays a role in this fight and can simply exit and re-enter, hoping for better luck on the next attempt.

P.S. While waiting an earning RP may seem valuable during these scenarios, I don't recommend it, if it can be helped. It is quite a slog (very exhausting) to try to maximize RP and the number of Bumba attempts in a single sitting. Our group averaged just 2.1 attempts per sitting, across 7 separate dates.

So we've found a way to remove a good chunk of Bumba's randomness and limit it to just two checks, 2nd Aura and 2nd TR. We found the key was to die on KI1 the moment he spawned the add. This has him spawn on KI2 with 75% HP and no aura. Go in and do your SC and the first Kaustra will hit for full damage and trigger his 2hr / aura / add. When it's time you do your 2nd Kaustra, even a reduced damage Kaustra is enough to bring it down under 40% and trigger the 2nd Aura and next set of Kaustras. If it's bad 2nd aura or no WC reset, then just exit out, otherwise if you get WC reset and the 2nd aura is good, then you hit it with a solid 3rd and 4th Kaustra and it dies.

Doing this we were able to win in less then a dozen attempts from scratch to clear, with most of those being us perfecting the timing on the SC and positioning for everyone.
By Felgarr 2024-10-22 16:11:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I will try my best to explain how luck plays a role in this fight, because trying to quantify luck vs skill here is actually quite difficult.

Dude, lol. Thorny has repeatedly said Bumba V25 is 90% luck. Nealy everybody in this thread has commented how badly designed the fight is with the current-known strategy. Absolutely nobody is defending that pile of garbage fight. Use a better example to quantify luck vs skill.

I think you misunderstand. I'm not trying to quantify luck vs skill. I wanted to explain actually how LUCK contributes to a loss.

Yes, I realize "Bumba v25 is 90% luck" is just a euphemism, but a competent group can still try to push through bad auras, and might get Bumba down to 10-20% AND improve their synergy and coordination.

Yes, it's poorly designed, but failure is still experience.
By Felgarr 2024-10-22 16:13:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Justifying the attitude and allowing every group to convince themselves and their friends that the fights are only won and lost based on luck spreads that attitude to folks who have never even tried the fights.

This is called projection. Those are you personal thoughts and feelings, not anyone else's, much less my own.

Bad content design is just bad content design regardless of the players involved. Pointing out bad content design is no different then pointing out it's raining. No value judgements, it mere is. Insisting that it's not raining, while standing in said rain... well I'll leave it at that.

This is what happens when an unstoppable force, meets an immovable object. I will try my best to explain how luck plays a role in this fight, because trying to quantify luck vs skill here is actually quite difficult.

I was fortunate enough to do V25 Bumba with an extremely skilled, mature and patient group of people. We beat Bumba V25 after just 16 attempts. I think we were the epitome of maximum skill and player synergy, after we ironed out some minor kinks in the first 2-3 attempts. In fact, we beat Bumba v25 with almost 4 minutes remaining.

Full Bumba V25 notes can be found here: Bumba V25 Notes

Anyway, I want to point out all of the common and uncommon situations that we were subjected to an automatic LOSS based entirely on randomness/luck. (This means, a complete no-win scenario, where we had to exit and come back. It goes without saying, that in the interest of time, we chose to exit and come back instead of waiting out the timer for RP).

Keep in mind: it may be possible to overcome the negative outcomes below with future updates, power creep or newer gear. However, as of 10/22/2024, you should just exit and re-enter/re-attempt the fight if you see any of these random outcomes:

Having said this, everyone should be able to, at a minimum, understand how LUCK plays a role in this fight and can simply exit and re-enter, hoping for better luck on the next attempt.

P.S. While waiting an earning RP may seem valuable during these scenarios, I don't recommend it, if it can be helped. It is quite a slog (very exhausting) to try to maximize RP and the number of Bumba attempts in a single sitting. Our group averaged just 2.1 attempts per sitting, across 7 separate dates.

So we've found a way to remove a good chunk of Bumba's randomness and limit it to just two checks, 2nd Aura and 2nd TR. We found the key was to die on KI1 the moment he spawned the add. This has him spawn on KI2 with 75% HP and no aura. Go in and do your SC and the first Kaustra will hit for full damage and trigger his 2hr / aura / add. When it's time you do your 2nd Kaustra, even a reduced damage Kaustra is enough to bring it down under 40% and trigger the 2nd Aura and next set of Kaustras. If it's bad 2nd aura or no WC reset, then just exit out, otherwise if you get WC reset and the 2nd aura is good, then you hit it with a solid 3rd and 4th Kaustra and it dies.

Doing this we were able to win in less then a dozen attempts from scratch to clear, with most of those being us perfecting the timing on the SC and positioning for everyone.

Yes, agreed. This is exactly how we did it as well.
By K123 2024-10-22 17:54:22
Link | Quote | Reply

K123 said: »
put Shadow Ring and Warder's Charm on all our characters in melee range"?

If I had a dime for every time I checked a dead player and saw he wasn't wearing either of these accessories after they ate magical damage in succession from Zissurus or TP moves/Spells, I'd be approaching a hundred dollars. I actually had to make a PDT-Waltz set on DNC because I noticed how any times I ended up dead in that set on stuff like Xevioso or even Sortie.
Are you suggesting people auto-equip with oshit/react/gearswap?

Damn. The fact that the very first thing that comes to your mind when someone suggests wearing defensive gear instead of +.002% dps is to have a react gearswap planned ahead of time. Nobody can fix that, yall are cooked

Is it really so hard to have a line in your gearswap or a secondary macro that puts DEFENSIVE ARMOR on? I am concerned that everything seemingly has to be automated and players can't just react naturally.
It was the way you wrote it. Are you saying you manually switch to defensive gear when you see a JA in the logs, as if it isn't instant most the time?
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-10-22 18:06:09
Link | Quote | Reply

IDK, if someone said "If I had a dime for every time I investigated a dead body and he wasn't wearing body armor after they were shot by a gun, I'd be approaching a hundred dollars." I wouldn't assume the person meant that someone should react to bullets by putting on body armor, but that they should be wearing it full-time in situations where bullets will be involved.

Alternatively: "If I had a dime for every time I investigated a biking accident and he wasn't wearing a helmet after they were hit by a car, I'd be approaching a hundred dollars." They probably wouldn't be looking for cyclists to react to being hit by a car and quickly toss on a helmet.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2024-10-22 18:07:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I fulltime those defensive pieces most of the time, that takes any reaction time out of the equation entirely. I also have a macro that equips my defensive pieces whenever I am in a set or mid-action that uses something other than, so it's only ever one button press away. Doesn't matter if you use gearswap or equipsets either, you can easily make a maco that swaps you back into a defensive set.

There's multiple ways to go about having defensive gear on before a TP move goes off, but the absolute last thing I was referring to was having a react file auto swap gear, nor was I suggesting watching the log for TP moves to time your button presses accordingly.
[+]
By Nariont 2024-10-22 18:20:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ill take what is a hybrid/defensive set for 500
First Page 2 3 ... 248 249