But truly, it's absolutely pathetic that:

BST
RUN
BRD
NIN
DRG
RNG
THF

Can access Naegling and it's absurd damage potential of Savage Blade. But DNC cannot. What was the reasoning for leaving off DNC from this sword? Now you bring DNC to Bumba and it is reduced to samba and step duty. That truly is an embarrassment.

(DNC can use R15 Demersal+1, but without Savage blade it's irrelevant)

Add dancer to the damn sword and stop playing games, or nerf the hell out of Savage Blade.

SimonSes said: »
DNC slashing option is *** hidden behind Bonanza...

Has someone tested Demersal to see if it's the same piercing damage as the original Joyeuse? I assume it is since it's just the same ilvl version, but wiki doesn't say that specifically so IDK if we are going off of what history tells us or if it was actually tested. (someone should include that in wiki if it really is piercing damage)
[+]
 Asura.Bigtymer
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: olson2189
By Asura.Bigtymer 2021-04-26 14:09:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't have strong opinion on the rhyme/reason for which jobs should be on Naegling, but I am of the opinion that Naegling needs a nerf (Savage Blade pre-Naegling was strong, but it wasn't in "broken" territory IMO). I don't think simply reducing the number of jobs on Naegling is good enough.

The sword has needed a nerf since its introduction, but Naegling abuse on Bumba has gotten more people thinking about the need for a nerf, which is probably a good thing. We've killed V15 Bumba in 78 seconds by abusing Naegling, completely obfuscating the core mechanics of the game's latest "final boss", and that represents a problem that needs addressing. As much as I enjoy the easy RP, I don't think it's a good thing for the game. Challenging content/mechanics are good for the longevity of the game, not spam-the-same-WS-over-and-over-until-it's-dead type of encounters.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2021-04-26 15:05:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a big fan of the anti-naegling wars so you can count on me on that.
Not sure I support your reasons though.

Challenging content? In FFXI?
I mean I understand your reasoning that Bumba is arguably easier that some of the T3 bosses, but still I'm not sure I'd say FFXI has been the most challening MMO over, several years right now I would say.
Long lasting content? Yes we do need that, but it's not through "challenge" that you creating long lasting content, rather with gating.
And I think Odyssey is doing great in that. Arguably "too much" honestly. Clearly Odyssey needed to be grindier than the previous content we received but I think they overdid it in more than one aspect, alas.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-04-26 16:14:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
but still I'm not sure I'd say FFXI has been the most challening MMO over, several years right now I would say.

It's more so that they built up to Bumba by announcing the boss area in waves, and the fact that they specifically said this one was THE boss with appropriate challenge/rewards for the grind-effort. They got the reward part right, but Bumba is by far the easiest boss due to how you can entirely bypass it's mechanic and guarantee wins. They whiffed hardcore on the "this boss will be the hardest" part.

You can complain or jump for joy at that, just stating how the expectation did not deliver long-term (once people figured out the fight mechanic). The mechanic itself is fine (besides Denounce being random), the fact that you can ignore it and get faster wins with better rewards than any other boss in the entire Gaol is pretty laughable.

You swap Mboze difficulty with Bumba, and you suddenly have a challenging fight that also nets the best possible rewards.
[+]
 Asura.Bigtymer
user: olson2189
By Asura.Bigtymer 2021-04-26 16:20:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Challenging content? In FFXI?
I mean I understand your reasoning that Bumba is arguably easier that some of the T3 bosses, but still I'm not sure I'd say FFXI has been the most challening MMO over, several years right now I would say.

I never said that it's been the most challenging MMO on the market, but at the moment, for a large portion of the players regularly farming V15 Bumba, there's essentially zero challenge in what is suppose to be the "final boss" of the latest endgame event, almost solely due to the fact that Naegling is a thing.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2021-04-26 16:21:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah either way I don't suggest whining too loudly about Bumba being easy, lest they patch it and we regret whining about the lack of challenge for something we have to kill over 165 times :-P

If you guys really wanna whine about something whine about Mboze!
[+]
By Shichishito 2021-04-26 21:47:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bigtymer said: »
there's essentially zero challenge
the challange with MMOs is to resist the urge to slit your wrists after you're done with your daily chores.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-04-26 21:51:30
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Bahamut.Unagihito
Server: Bahamut
user: eelman
By Bahamut.Unagihito 2021-04-27 03:31:02
Link | Quote | Reply

The sword has needed a nerf

Has SE ever nerfed an item for being too strong?
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2021-04-27 03:31:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I can only remember nerfs to spells/job abilities/gameplay features but I'm sure there have been direct nerfs to items as well, I just can't remember any.
 Fenrir.Melphina
Server: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-04-27 05:41:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

I've played since NA release and I can confidently say that S-E has never nerfed an item for being too strong. As sechs mentioned above, job ability or gameplay nerfs were far more effective ways to tone down power levels when jobs became too strong. If Nageling ever becomes a problem in their eyes they're more likely to nerf savage blade itself rather than the actual weapon.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2021-04-27 06:50:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Melphina said: »
Quote:

I've played since NA release and I can confidently say that S-E has never nerfed an item for being too strong. As sechs mentioned above, job ability or gameplay nerfs were far more effective ways to tone down power levels when jobs became too strong. If Nageling ever becomes a problem in their eyes they're more likely to nerf savage blade itself rather than the actual weapon.
They nerfed Twilight Scythe.
[+]
By drakefs 2021-04-27 07:40:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Naegling abuse on Bumba has gotten more people thinking about the need for a nerf, which is probably a good thing. We've killed V15 Bumba in 78 seconds by abusing Naegling,

I will never understand this line of thinking. Its not like just having the Naegling alone enables this abuse. You have to be super buffed melee to achieve what you are describing. So at the very top end, Naegling + Savage Blade enables a melee zerg of a boss... Not really sure why this is an issue. A bunch of melee using a Shinning One + Impulse Drive could probably replicate the results.

This is just the latest zerg to be found.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-04-27 07:46:47
Link | Quote | Reply

It is and isn't naegling specific.

Naegling turns the whole party into a warrior burn and the entire point of the content was specifically to prevent warrior (same job) burns.

It would still work the same with shining one or dolich or tauret or bronze swords. it just so happens naegling is free, fast, and savage blade is imbalanced.

The batshitridiculous buff stacking is "the" problem. Always been "the" problem. Always going to be "the" problem.
[+]
By Taint 2021-04-27 07:59:52
Link | Quote | Reply

drakefs said: »
Naegling abuse on Bumba has gotten more people thinking about the need for a nerf, which is probably a good thing. We've killed V15 Bumba in 78 seconds by abusing Naegling,

I will never understand this line of thinking. Its not like just having the Naegling alone enables this abuse. You have to be super buffed melee to achieve what you are describing. So at the very top end, Naegling + Savage Blade enables a melee zerg of a boss... Not really sure why this is an issue. A bunch of melee using a Shinning One + Impulse Drive could probably replicate the results.

Super buffing is 100% the main issue. But Naegling is an REMA grade weapon that even your buffers can use to contribue. (BRD/COR)
 Bahamut.Justthetip
user: sairasu
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2021-04-27 08:11:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
drakefs said: »

Super buffing is 100% the main issue. But Naegling is an REMA grade weapon that even your buffers can use to contribue. (BRD/COR)
Pretty much this right here. Also the person who said you don't just put nageling on and abuse it you kinda do. At what point are you not super buffed doing nms? If we talking about semi geared people just throwing nageling in hand and buffing them pretty much they gonna be doing great damage without trying. Nageling is a busted weapon and has been for a good bit now. Every job on that sword that can use it tbh probably should be.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-04-27 12:38:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Naegling doubles the issue of "superbuffing" more than any other weapon, as it (and thus, you) gain power from those buffs beyond how those other weapons do. It takes the existing concept and just makes all the problems worse.

I'd say cap the number of buffs that can affect Naegling's unique stat of Weapon Skill: Attack Bonus based on the number of upgrades .
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2021-04-27 13:27:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
I'd say cap the number of buffs that can affect Naegling's unique stat of Weapon Skill: Attack Bonus based on the number of upgrades .
I don't wanna play devil's advocate because everybody knows how much I hate Naegling by now.

Just wanted to make you notice though how:
1) In several content where you zerg with Naegling, you're already Att capped or so close that the Buffs>Att conversion during WS from Naegling is irrelevant
2) We know that "roughly" each buff corresponds to ~1% more attack, but we don't know if EVERY single buff counts, and we don't know if there's a cap. You're saying you would like a cap, as far as we know there could already be one.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-04-27 13:39:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, the more GEO frailty is nerfed, the better Naegling is.

The 100% attack cap all the time on everything always is harder to do sometimes, then already broken naegling is ever more broken.
[+]
By SimonSes 2021-04-28 05:54:53
Link | Quote | Reply

So they adding PR amplifiers. I bet it's gonna cost 3000 and give x2 points. So basically you can make 2x more RP doing the fight once using 6000 segments total. So it will be slightly faster,but for same amount of Segments still. You will also risk that unsuccessful run will be twice more unsuccessful.

Sounds like a lost opportunity too. It should cost RP not segments. Like 392 RP for one amplifier. This way you could use RP you get from winning v15 you don't need to get bonus 392 RP on v25 you need. It would let you kinda exchange RP between NMs, but you wouldn't be able to get RP without actually fighting NM you need RP from.
[+]
By Titorinho 2021-04-28 07:10:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Purchasing with RP is a good idea. However, I am hopeful it will be like seals in the sense that they triple RP at a low cost but are limited by weekly maximum.
[+]
By SimonSes 2021-04-28 07:22:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Titorinho said: »
Purchasing with RP is a good idea. However, I am hopeful it will be like seals in the sense that they triple RP at a low cost but are limited by weekly maximum.

That would be great for people like me, who just do 1-2 NM runs with LS weekly. Also ideally you can use it like Ambu seals (so like few sec before you know its a win).
By Ruaumoko 2021-04-28 07:27:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, that sort of thing showed up a lot sooner than I thought it would.
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2021-04-28 07:39:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like they also are gonna add segments to finishing?
Hopefully it's just in the rewards issuance of when you touch the exit... and not actually clicking "leave"/exiting proper.
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-04-28 07:56:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Can you get information on a T3 nm without any T1 or T2 clears? Further, if you have information on all 6 T3 NMs, can you pop Bumba if you have no information on T1-T2 NMs? Basically, can you use mules to shorten the time gate?
 Bahamut.Belkin
user: Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2021-04-28 09:05:13
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
So they adding PR amplifiers. I bet it's gonna cost 3000 and give x2 points. So basically you can make 2x more RP doing the fight once using 6000 segments total. So it will be slightly faster,but for same amount of Segments still. You will also risk that unsuccessful run will be twice more unsuccessful.

That was my initial thought, but surely they realized that approach is just treading water and nobody is making progress that way.

I'm thinking it'll be 1000 segments, maybe you get once a week, and it gives triple RP. That seems to make the most sense to me, especially since they compared it to ambuscade seals.

Though on the "patch preview" table, it lists:

・ Adjust Moogle segments
・ Adjustments to Reinforcement Points earned
・ Add new exchange items

So I'm curious as to whether "Mog Amplifier" encompasses all three of those bullet points or if additional segments are going to be made available.
 Valefor.Maurauc
Server: Valefor
user: Maurauc
By Valefor.Maurauc 2021-04-28 09:05:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Can you get information on a T3 nm without any T1 or T2 clears? Further, if you have information on all 6 T3 NMs, can you pop Bumba if you have no information on T1-T2 NMs? Basically, can you use mules to shorten the time gate?
You'll get information (and vengeance clears/RP) on any NM you fight, whether you meet the requirements or not.
Unfortunately, as leader, you can't take the party into a T3, even with the T2 clears, unless you have all previous clears. So no quick T3 clears to get access to Bumba.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2021-04-28 10:50:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ruaumoko said: »
Wow, that sort of thing showed up a lot sooner than I thought it would.
Kind of a sign they are acknowledging the fact they *** it up with the grind ratio.
So now maybe you people will stop sayin I need to grow a pair and stop whining about how much they *** it up pretty bad! :-P

Wether it will really make a difference or not depends on a lot of factors though.

1) Does the buff last as long and stay if you die just like Ambu's?
2) How many segments does it cost?
3) How much does it multiply the RP you gain?
4) Does it wear off if you get RP for wipes/timing out?

They could've really added a goodamn weekly RoE though, I mean wtf, do I even have to suggest it? C'mon...
 Asura.Aldolol
user: Aldolol
By Asura.Aldolol 2021-04-28 11:55:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Maurauc said: »
Shiva.Thorny said: »
You'll get information (and vengeance clears/RP) on any NM you fight, whether you meet the requirements or not.
Unfortunately, as leader, you can't take the party into a T3, even with the T2 clears, unless you have all previous clears. So no quick T3 clears to get access to Bumba.

Is this the case even if you get boosted all t3? I thought I could join a pug for all t1 mms at v15 and wouldn't need to do v5 10? Am I wrong. Also the 45 day lockout on being even able to do C is kind of shitty for any new players. Can segment farm in a but it's pretty terrible gains compared to C
By Foxfire 2021-04-28 12:05:07
Link | Quote | Reply

you can skip v5/v10 if you get a v15 clear, yes.
you can't immediately do v[X] as the party leader on any tier you haven't worked your way up towards (i.e. t3's if you haven't done v15s for t2 and t1).

you can be brought into any tier, any vengeance provided the leader has access.
First Page 2 3 ... 115 116 117 ... 237 238 239