First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Diabolos.Artfuldodger
Server: Diabolos
Game: FFXI
user: cuccon
By Diabolos.Artfuldodger 2011-02-02 11:42:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Melphina said:
I posted a really simple way to understand TH procs on alla by listing a few scenarios because it can get very confusing trying to describe it with words. I'll just quote myself

Quote:

Scenario 1:
A thief hits a mob with TH gear on. Mobs TH level is 6
The thief gets a TH proc. Mobs TH level is 7

Scenario 2:
A thief hits a mob but does not have TH gear on. Mobs TH level is 3
The thief then equips TH gear and hits the mob again. Mobs TH level is 6

Scenario 3:
The thief gets a TH proc. Mobs TH level is 4

Scenario 4:
The thief gets a second TH proc. Mobs TH level is 5

Scenario 5:
The thief gets a second TH proc. Mobs TH level is now 8.

As you can see, in scenario 3 a proc was wasted and in scenario 4 TWO TH procs were wasted. Furthermore while no TH procs were wasted in scenario 2 there was potential for wasted procs to happen. In scenario's 1 and 5 there was no wasted potential, and all procs had the maximum effectiveness. This is because the highest level of treasure hunter will always overwrite the lower level, so if your gear is more powerful than the current level the new level is equal to that of your gear. Any procs which raise TH to a level equal to or less than that of your gear will be wasted the moment you equip that gear because your gear is stronger and will overwrite them, but if you start with your gear they will raise the TH higher than you would get by equipping your gear alone.

The best way to apply TH is to equip your full gear for the first hit and then forget about it the rest of the fight. Once you get the first hit in with your gear the level will never diminish so you don't need to use it anymore and can use real gear and weapons. Use TH gear for your first attack and you're fine. It's a simple concept, and something we've wanted to be able to prove for a long time now.

Neraya edited this into their post, but I figured I'd just make it easy for everyone if they missed it (emphasis mine). 99% of the THF community holds that last paragraph to be true, you really might want to do some more testing if you don't believe us.

Have you even tested out the method we're suggesting? Your 'evidence' shows you haven't.
 Remora.Laphine
Server: Remora
By Remora.Laphine 2011-02-02 11:43:49
Link | Quote | Reply

no, it won't end the same.

If you if set at the start this happens:

1) Thf /ra with full th gear and TH6 is set with this action.
2) Thf starts meleeing and doing thf stuff and gets a boost with no th gear. TH set to 7.
3) Thf melees some more and gets another boost. TH set to 8.

Now if you equip at the end:

1) Thf starts meleeing and doing stuff with no th and gets a boost. TH set to 4.
2) Thf melees some more and gets another boost. TH set to 5.
3) The battle is about to finish and the thf equips th stuff. TH set to 6.
4) Thf is lucky and gets a TH boost before the monster is dead. TH set to 7.

At second case, you completely wasted the boosts to 4 and 5. Because only the highest TH remains active, when you equip TH6 gear at the end, it will overwrite the TH5 you achieved by meleeing. Now at the first case the baseline was 6 and it won't change throughout the fight (because only the highest th remains active), unless you deaggro the monster.
 Bismarck.Luces
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Luces 2011-02-02 11:49:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Artfuldodger said:
Fenrir.Melphina said:
I posted a really simple way to understand TH procs on alla by listing a few scenarios because it can get very confusing trying to describe it with words. I'll just quote myself

Quote:

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

Scenario 3:

Scenario 4:
The thief gets a second TH proc. Mobs TH level is 5

Scenario 5:
The thief gets a second TH proc. Mobs TH level is now 8.

As you can see, in scenario 3 a proc was wasted and in scenario 4 TWO TH procs were wasted. Furthermore while no TH procs were wasted in scenario 2 there was potential for wasted procs to happen. In scenario's 1 and 5 there was no wasted potential, and all procs had the maximum effectiveness. This is because the highest level of treasure hunter will always overwrite the lower level, so if your gear is more powerful than the current level the new level is equal to that of your gear. Any procs which raise TH to a level equal to or less than that of your gear will be wasted the moment you equip that gear because your gear is stronger and will overwrite them, but if you start with your gear they will raise the TH higher than you would get by equipping your gear alone.

The best way to apply TH is to equip your full gear for the first hit and then forget about it the rest of the fight. Once you get the first hit in with your gear the level will never diminish so you don't need to use it anymore and can use real gear and weapons. Use TH gear for your first attack and you're fine. It's a simple concept, and something we've wanted to be able to prove for a long time now.

Neraya edited this into their post, but I figured I'd just make it easy for everyone if they missed it (emphasis mine). 99% of the THF community holds that last paragraph to be true, you really might want to do some more testing if you don't believe us.

Have you even tested out the method we're suggesting? Your 'evidence' shows you haven't.

In scenario 3 and 4 no procs are waisted the posters scenarios are incorrect if you proc th 5 on a mob with no gear on, then you put on all 3 pieces the next proc you will see is 9, meaning th of the mob is now at 8, if you see a proc. I have tested this for many hours yes and it always yields this result.
 Remora.Laphine
By Remora.Laphine 2011-02-02 11:52:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Would be nice if this was the case Luces, but really isn't. The next proc will be 7. Or did they ninja changed that this week? I haven't been playing since saturday.
 Bismarck.Luces
By Bismarck.Luces 2011-02-02 11:55:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Laphine said:

2) Thf starts meleeing and doing thf stuff and gets a boost with no th gear. TH set to 7.

1) Thf starts meleeing and doing stuff with no th and gets a boost. TH set to 4.

At second case, you completely wasted the boosts to 4 and 5. Because only the highest TH remains active, when you equip TH6 gear at the end, it will overwrite the TH5 you achieved by meleeing. Now at the first case the baseline was 6 and it won't change throughout the fight (because only the highest th remains active), unless you deaggro the monster.

yes the first proc you see will be of th 7 in scenario 1 that is the first PROC not the thfs actual th, the mobs th does not drop the thf's TH does. Meaning if you proc th 8 on a mob, with all 3 pieces, take of your gear you can still can proc th 9 but your th is is now a base of th5 as you have only proced a th increase twice. Y'all seem to be failing to realize that mobs th value and a thfs th strength are 2 different things if a th 6 thf hits a mob it gets th6 if a th4 thf hits the same mob and lets say procs th on it, it won't show up in the log but that thf's base lvl of th on that mob has now become 5. While the mobs th is still 6.
 Ragnarok.Bladestruck
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Bladestruck 2011-02-02 11:55:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
exp was always easy to come by, you said "became" I don't see how this is irrelevant. It can't become something if it was already prior.

Quote:
I just don't see how you can use the easy excuse when almost anything outside of abyssea can probably be done with 3 people if not solo/duod now

Nyzul lamps bro

This made me LOL sooooo freaking hard!!!!
 Ragnarok.Nemesio
user: Nemesio
By Ragnarok.Nemesio 2011-02-02 11:58:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Bladestruck said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
exp was always easy to come by, you said "became" I don't see how this is irrelevant. It can't become something if it was already prior.

Quote:
I just don't see how you can use the easy excuse when almost anything outside of abyssea can probably be done with 3 people if not solo/duod now

Nyzul lamps bro

This made me LOL sooooo freaking hard!!!!

Come back to the game you gimp, I miss you.
 Remora.Laphine
By Remora.Laphine 2011-02-02 12:02:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok i give up on you man. I just don't care enough if you are doing it wrong or not. It won't affect me in any way as you are in Bismark and i'm in Leviathan.

gl on your th-ing.
 Diabolos.Artfuldodger
By Diabolos.Artfuldodger 2011-02-02 12:04:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Luces said:

yes the first proc you see will be of th 7 in scenario 1 that is the first PROC not the thfs actual th, the mobs th does not drop the thf's TH does. Meaning if you proc th 8 on a mob, with all 3 pieces, take of your gear you can still can proc th 9 but your th is is now a base of th5 as you have only proced a th increase twice. Y'all seem to be failing to realize that mobs th value and a thfs th strength are 2 different things if a th 6 thf hits a mob it gets th6 if a th4 thf hits the same mob and lets say procs th on it, it won't show up in the log but that thf's base lvl of th on that mob has now become 5. While the mobs th is still 6.

I have no clue as to why the bolded part matters. Your base TH (including gear) doesn't matter whatsoever after you proc a level that is 1 higher than your base.

I give up too, I can't force you to accept this as the way it really is, and I can't think of any other way to explain it to you.
 Bismarck.Luces
By Bismarck.Luces 2011-02-02 12:05:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Laphine said:
Would be nice if this was the case Luces, but really isn't. The next proc will be 7. Or did they ninja changed that this week? I haven't been playing since saturday.

Hince what I'm saying this does happen to me its not a "would be nice" this is this is what it does for me. It also does this for my thf friend I have brought out testing with me. The fact that y'all are getting different results its what is concerning me. Like I said though Atma of apoc does not give me rr 100% and I casted over 100 spells b4 my first quick magic proc ever with it shits random and se is way far from perfect. As I said either my th is broken, and my friends, or its possible that the th system itself is broken. I'm not just rambling or something or went out and did a test once or read something then agreed with it/disagreed with it without testing. These are my results y'all results are basicly the exact opposite of my testing, and other peoples as well. Like I said se does magical illogical things all the time.

Basicly what I have a hard time grasping since if I hit a mob without th gear proc 4 put my 2 peices of th gear on my next is proc 7 for me 100% of the time.
Where as y'alls ways are saying that th gear only matters on the first hit and will not be applied to a mob if put on after the first hit, or proc, which is wrong if this is happening to you call a GM. Either that or my th gear working after th first proc is an error as well but it not working sounds more like an error.
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-02 12:06:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Luces said:
Remora.Laphine said:

You don't seem to understand how this works...Each individual thf in a fight does not have their own TH level on a single mob. If a TH6 thf hits a mob, the level becomes 6. If a DIFFERENT Th3 thf comes in and hits the mob, they can continue to proc it up from 6 to 7 to 8 etc. They do not have to go up from 3.
 Diabolos.Artfuldodger
By Diabolos.Artfuldodger 2011-02-02 12:08:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Luces said:

Basicly what I have a hard time grasping since if I hit a mob without th gear proc 4 put my 2 peices of th gear on my next is proc 7 for me 100% of the time.

This is scenario 3 + 5 combined. You are wasting TH procs, this is what we are trying to tell you...
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-02 12:10:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Luces said:
Remora.Laphine said:

Hince what I'm saying this does happen to me its not a "would be nice" this is this is what it does for me. It also does this for my thf friend I have brought out testing with me. The fact that y'all are getting different results its what is concerning me. Like I said though Atma of apoc does not give me rr 100% and I casted over 100 spells b4 my first quick magic proc ever with it shits random and se is way far from perfect. As I said either my th is broken, and my friends, or its possible that the th system itself is broken. I'm not just rambling or something or went out and did a test once or read something then agreed with it/disagreed with it without testing. These are my results y'all results are basicly the exact opposite of my testing, and other peoples as well. Like I said se does magical illogical things all the time.

Where as y'alls ways are saying that th gear only matters on the first hit and will not be applied to a mob if put on after the first hit, or proc, which is wrong if this is happening to you call a GM. Either that or my th gear working after th first proc is an error as well but it not working sounds more like an error.

No one is saying that TH gear does not work after the first proc. If you put on TH gear after after proccing TH on a mob, and your new baseline TH is higher than the current level of TH on the mob, your TH will OVERWRITE the current TH and replace it with the new higher level, ignoring previous procs. If you are experiencing something other than this, there is either an error in your testing methods or a glitch in the game. Edit: or the mechanics have changed since I last tested it (unlikely, but possible)
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-02-02 12:13:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Laphine said:
no, it won't end the same. If you if set at the start this happens: 1) Thf /ra with full th gear and TH6 is set with this action. 2) Thf starts meleeing and doing thf stuff and gets a boost with no th gear. TH set to 7. 3) Thf melees some more and gets another boost. TH set to 8. Now if you equip at the end: 1) Thf starts meleeing and doing stuff with no th and gets a boost. TH set to 4. 2) Thf melees some more and gets another boost. TH set to 5. 3) The battle is about to finish and the thf equips th stuff. TH set to 6. 4) Thf is lucky and gets a TH boost before the monster is dead. TH set to 7. At second case, you completely wasted the boosts to 4 and 5. Because only the highest TH remains active, when you equip TH6 gear at the end, it will overwrite the TH5 you achieved by meleeing. Now at the first case the baseline was 6 and it won't change throughout the fight (because only the highest th remains active), unless you deaggro the monster.

I just chortled out loud at work 3 feet from my boss
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-02-02 12:20:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Laphine is correct, regardless.
[+]
 Bismarck.Luces
By Bismarck.Luces 2011-02-02 12:22:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Or how about I stop being a hard headed dumbass since my testing is about 2 months old and several patches have happened since then and I go do some new testing and share my results.

edit- yay for morning rage issues, while I did not do extensive testing it seems that se did change it it from its initial way of functioning after its release to work as y'all have stated now and I need to not miss morning workout which makes me angry.

my testing data was old, I remember them mentioning an adjustment to the system in one of the patches that happened in that time period my guess would be that this was the change. while it makes no logical since it does increase the effectiveness of having more then 1 thf with you and I can see where se with its "we are gunna try and please you" things.

Now that I have been proven wrong I still wonder why se changed it to the way they did in which case i'll stop because i'll get sucked into a black hole.
 Remora.Laphine
By Remora.Laphine 2011-02-02 13:46:03
Link | Quote | Reply

They never changed anything. Your first testings should have gone wrong somewhere.

I leveled thf to 90 right after the servers went up on the last update and started checking all new stuff. Checked how th worked, possible dw2 and crit attack bonus 3. TH boosts was always like that.
[+]
 Phoenix.Jimie
user: Jimie
By Phoenix.Jimie 2011-02-02 14:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Luces said:
Basically what I have a hard time grasping since if I hit a mob without th gear proc 4 put my 2 pieces of th gear on my next is proc 7 for me 100% of the time.
This is scenario 3 + 5 combined. You are wasting TH procs, this is what we are trying to tell you...

There are no wasted procs here. He starts with TH3 base, it procs up to 4, he then equips 2 TH+. Now, if he gets a proc, for the previous proc to be wasted, he would see TH effectiveness increases to 6 (His base was 5). But this is not the case, he is seeing it increase to 7.
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-02 14:14:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Jimie said:
Bismarck.Luces said:
Basically what I have a hard time grasping since if I hit a mob without th gear proc 4 put my 2 pieces of th gear on my next is proc 7 for me 100% of the time.

There are no wasted procs here. He starts with TH3 base, it procs up to 4, he then equips 2 TH+. Now, if he gets a proc, for the previous proc to be wasted, he would see TH effectiveness increases to 6 (His base was 5). But this is not the case, he is seeing it increase to 7.
Whether or not this is how it worked when he tested it, it is not how it works now. Therefor irrelevant.
 Diabolos.Artfuldodger
By Diabolos.Artfuldodger 2011-02-02 14:31:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Jimie said:
Bismarck.Luces said:

I didn't catch that at first. He said he had TH6 base earlier, I'd wager he meant 3 pieces of TH gear instead of 2, seeing how it'd be the first case of TH proc'ing +2 rather than +1.
 Asura.Tot
Server: Asura
By Asura.Tot 2011-02-02 16:33:57
Link | Quote | Reply

1. starting fight as thf 90 no gear = TH3 on (no chat log)
2. proc once +1 = TH4 on (in chat log)
3. proc once again +1 = TH5 on (in chat log)
----------------------------------------------------------
1. starting fight as thf 90, knife hands feet = TH6 on (no chat log)
2. proc once +1 = TH7 on (in chat log)
3. proc once again +1 = TH8 on (in chat log)
-----------------------------------------------------------
1. starting fight as thf 90 no gear = TH3 on (no chat log)
2. proc once +1 = TH4 on (in chat log)
3. puting on knife hands feet = TH6 on (no chat log)
4. proc once again +1 = TH7 on (in chat log)
------------------------------------------------------------
not counting any proc TH is set to the thf with the highest tier
in gear or what ever(max 6 at this time)base can be boosted to 7 via atma or mooglepower after the base is set it will stay unless the mob goess passive and regens atleast 1 tic of hp back that is the only way th will go off now after base is set any thf, 15+ can then "proc" higher tier from base set ie
-----------------------------------------------------------
1. starting fight as thf 90 with knife hands feet = TH6 on
2. second thf lvl 15+ proc once +1 = TH7 on (in chat log)
3. first thf proc once again +1 = TH8 on )in chat log)
ect,
TH does not "stack" rather than it "builds"
from what i know at this time you can proc the effect up to 5 times total withen any amout of time(could be first 5 swings could be xx mins of fighting)but i believe this to be based on amount of damge you do and update notes says so too iirc for SA/TA
atleast start the fight with your full th gear that is best to do
and just remember TH still does jack all to get you your drop :D
peace.
 Bismarck.Helel
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-02-02 16:43:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Just to add to the above information, the instant a mob goes passive everything resets. It doesn't even have to go unclaimed. There's a second after a mob goes passive where it will remain red and then finally unclaim. I've had my mule die because the mob deaggroed off me and I've claimed it less than half a second after his death while it was still red, but the weakness still changed.
By FOODNIPPLE127 2011-02-02 16:53:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helel said:
Just to add to the above information, the instant a mob goes passive everything resets. It doesn't even have to go unclaimed. There's a second after a mob goes passive where it will remain red and then finally unclaim. I've had my mule die because the mob deaggroed off me and I've claimed it less than half a second after his death while it was still red, but the weakness still changed.
i was talking about TH staying on till it "regens a tic a hp" as accidental testing on carabosse shows atleast in my exp. as for weaknesses like red/blue/yellow yes you're right 100% again accidental testing on that from turul shows lol
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2011-02-02 17:11:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helel said:

Actually, contrary to this (assuming you mean TH too?), I was just soloing Minax, and got killed by Tyrant Tusk, by the time I reraised and reengaged it had regened one tick, but my TH stack had remained. The procs for !! had changed though.
 Caitsith.Loughry
Server: Caitsith
user: Loughry
By Caitsith.Loughry 2011-02-02 17:21:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Did a duo on Guivre (Sandworm) and wiped around 11% with TH built to level 7.

After recovering and reclaiming Guivre (which regened a few % of HP over the 5min~ of recovering) in non TH gear, got a TH upgrade to 8.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2011-02-02 17:38:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Even at TH IV, I was getting an item for a friend, and I saw this as I was farming.. its weird though, as I have had TH 3 for years.. and when I got TH IV, And now using Thief to find things, I seen this on my screen...

So here is some Effectiveness... that's a first I saw this. That was today even.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2011-02-02 17:47:56
Link | Quote | Reply

You like, didn't read any of this thread did you? Or the update notes for that matter
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2011-02-02 18:01:27
Link | Quote | Reply

first ans foremost, TH is a myth. SE is just adding more to that myth with the chat message showing its increased effectiveness
 Carbuncle.Axle
Server: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2011-02-02 18:16:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Snprphnx said:
first ans foremost, TH is a myth. SE is just adding more to that myth with the chat message showing its increased effectiveness

sure, hope your ls goes to all events w/o TH. let the lolz begin
 Diabolos.Fattynoob
user: xprophetx
By Diabolos.Fattynoob 2011-02-03 10:59:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Quote:
Did anyone notice a significant increase in rare drops after this update? I know its not exactly a brand new update, but to me it is lol

In the past couple of updates, ya. This one specifically, no.

It's called blue !!

killed Usurper twice with blue !!! still, he hides my pants. stingy ***.

i have seen th9 proc starting w/ a base of 6.

I have seen it increase TH in successive hits and i have seen it take a few minutes between increase. Random.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9