Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-25 20:23:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Tidusblitz said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Quote:
we would like to address the speed with which experience begins to drop off and are already looking into it.
Also, since experience points fatigue carries over despite changing weapons, we plan to make it not so harsh.

That explains nothing, while still giving people a reason to play and think it will get better. Making it less harsh could be adding another 5 minutes.

It could also mean adding 20 hours, or releasing an item that increases fatigue permanently.

I don't understand why you think they won't change this issue, when they've already changed so many aspects of the game that have been complained about in the beta forum.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-25 20:23:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
FFXI(and MMOs in general) are not instant gratification. You get what you put in. If you work hard, youll have the best stuff.

If it's work, you shouldn't be playing the game. I thought everyone enjoyed levelling up :/

i already explained, its work getting to the highest lvl. I just go into auto-pilot, turn on the TV, and barely pay attention to exp pts. Now when i get to 75(lets say pld) and tank khimaira, thats funner then hell. Tanking a little pink bird for 5 hours is not fun. I work to get to the fun

If you don't find it fun, I don't understand why you're playing tbh.

So you don't find 75% of the game fun? ok.
 Asura.Domz
Server: Asura
user: Domz
By Asura.Domz 2010-08-25 20:25:35
Link | Quote | Reply

i'm really tired and i dont feel like sifting through the casual vs hardcore debate, could someone give me a summary of what the fatigue system is or a link?
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-25 20:26:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Domz said:
i'm really tired and i dont feel like sifting through the casual vs hardcore debate, could someone give me a summary of what the fatigue system is or a link?

A system that puts a limit on the amount of exp you can get on a certain class weekly.

People are blowing it out of proportion, and the dev is already looking into making it less harsh.
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-08-25 20:29:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
FFXI(and MMOs in general) are not instant gratification. You get what you put in. If you work hard, youll have the best stuff.

If it's work, you shouldn't be playing the game. I thought everyone enjoyed levelling up :/

i already explained, its work getting to the highest lvl. I just go into auto-pilot, turn on the TV, and barely pay attention to exp pts. Now when i get to 75(lets say pld) and tank khimaira, thats funner then hell. Tanking a little pink bird for 5 hours is not fun. I work to get to the fun

Exactly, and i dont do whats not fun, so its 100% fun to me. I put in my work, and now im having fun.

Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-25 20:30:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Exactly, and i dont do whats not fun, so its 100% fun to me. I put in my work, and now im having fun.

Super edit there.
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-08-25 20:31:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Asura.Domz said:

A system that puts a limit on the amount of exp you can get on a certain class weekly.

People are blowing it out of proportion, and the dev is already looking into making it less harsh.
Quote:
Any experience earned past that point is saved as “surplus.” There is surplus for each class, and if you begin to see it please consider playing another class and adjust accordingly.

However, experience points are not specific to any class and therefore the decrease in experience points is not affected by changing classes.

Im having a little trouble with this part. It sounds like hes saying you can change classes and get full exp, then he says if you change the decrease is not affected. Am i reading that wrong?
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-25 20:32:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Asura.Domz said:

Quote:
Any experience earned past that point is saved as “surplus.” There is surplus for each class, and if you begin to see it please consider playing another class and adjust accordingly.

However, experience points are not specific to any class and therefore the decrease in experience points is not affected by changing classes.

Im having a little trouble with this part. It sounds like hes saying you can change classes and get full exp, then he says if you change the decrease is not affected. Am i reading that wrong?

Part of the interview was lost in translation.
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-08-25 20:32:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Super edit there.

Sorry i clicked the wrong thing, meant to put that at the bottom.

Edit: and i dont know how to fix it, so pretend its at the bottom.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-25 20:35:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Well my point still stands. If getting to level 80 was work, I wouldn't have done it. Each to our own I suppose.

As for the interview, the entire thing has contradictions throughout it, I'm pretty sure the translator sucked.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-25 20:36:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
I can only wish.

Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-25 20:37:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
I can only wish.

I thought that was the right term -_-

I mean it was translated incorrectly.
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-08-25 20:37:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Well my point still stands. If getting to level 80 was work, I wouldn't have done it. Each to our own I suppose.

As for the interview, the entire thing has contradictions throughout it, I'm pretty sure the translator sucked.

Lets say you got a hot date this weekend. Similar to jaeriks pic above. Fun right? How are you gonna get money to pay for it? Your going to work. You just worked for fun. Getting to 80 isnt fun, being 80 is fun
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-25 20:38:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

Lets say you got a hot date this weekend. Similar to jaeriks pic above. Fun right? How are you gonna get money to pay for it? Your going to work. You just worked for fun.

Yes, but I don't pay a subscription fee for real life.

And again, seeing as that was a huge part of the game I don't understand not enjoying it :/
By Zekko 2010-08-25 20:39:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
I can only wish.

Dat ***
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-08-25 20:41:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Lets say you got a hot date this weekend. Similar to jaeriks pic above. Fun right? How are you gonna get money to pay for it? Your going to work. You just worked for fun.

Yes, but I don't pay a subscription fee for real life.

And again, seeing as that was a huge part of the game I don't understand not enjoying it :/

Correct, it is a huge part of the game. BUT. Look at my job levels. Im pretty much done with that part of the game(save for a few hours of abyssea after cap goes up). All i do now is high lvl ***. Solo ruthven, HNM, Dynamis, Abyssea NMs. I dont exp at all unless i want merits for some reason. Which is my problem with XIV, if i want to just smash out the levels so that i can do high level things, why restrict that? Theres no reason to restrict exp at all.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-25 20:41:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

Lets say you got a hot date this weekend. Similar to jaeriks pic above. Fun right? How are you gonna get money to pay for it? Your going to work. You just worked for fun. Getting to 80 isnt fun, being 80 is fun

Entirely opinionated. I don't enjoy XPing, but I know many who do.
 Phoenix.Oumura
Server: Phoenix
user: Oumura
By Phoenix.Oumura 2010-08-25 20:42:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I particularly enjoyed the grind. Killing everything in sight, meeting new folks, testing your limits, learning new techniques, the whole shebang. I've always viewed endgame as just being icing on the cake.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-25 20:42:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh come on, tell me you guys saw that movie. It was genius.

That's kind of my point, though. To most people, work and play are separate. Work is what you do so that you can play.

You're suggesting that play -- the game itself -- should necessarily be about 90% additional work and 10% fun.

You can't have 0% work for 100% fun, but SE is in the business of finding a percentage trade-off that's the most amount of fun for the most people.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-25 20:43:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I own it, if it's the one I'm thinking of, Bill Murray in Japan?
 Phoenix.Oumura
By Phoenix.Oumura 2010-08-25 20:43:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Never saw it. @_@;
*ducks*
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-25 20:44:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Well outside of obvious differences of opinion and back to the point at hand:

My suggestion would to be wait for retail to see how the fatigue system works, because everyone who translated that interview is getting different results, and no-one still knows what it means.

Some websites had the conclusion that the 8 hours was the cap due to a bug, some websites came to the conclusion that 8 hours was set in stone.

I'm going to still get it on release, and I'll let everyone know once it's properly found out.

I'm optimistic though. 8 hours seems too harsh and I don't honestly think that the Dev team will go that far. Time will tell though.
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-08-25 20:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

That's kind of my point, though. To most people, work and play are separate. Work is what you do so that you can play.

You're suggesting that play -- the game itself -- should necessarily be about 90% additional work and 10% fun.

You can't have 0% work for 100% fun, but SE is in the business of finding a percentage trade-off that's the most amount of fun for the most people.

I never said that, and i damn sure havent spent 90% of my time exping. Id say ive spent at least 33% of my FFXI time in sky. Sky was the funnest event imo, so thats what i did.
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-08-25 20:45:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

My suggestion would to be wait for retail to see how the fatigue system works, because everyone who translated that interview is getting different results, and no-one still knows what it means.

Some websites had the conclusion that the 8 hours was the cap due to a bug, some websites came to the conclusion that 8 hours was set in stone.

I'm going to still get it on release, and I'll let everyone know once it's properly found out.

I'm optimistic though. 8 hours seems too harsh and I don't honestly think that the Dev team will go that far. Time will tell though.

Thats where im divided, i want to wait until after launch to get it. My problem is i want collectors edition, and im not sure if ill be able to find it after release. So im on the fence of buying it at release or not
 Phoenix.Oumura
By Phoenix.Oumura 2010-08-25 20:46:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

Pretty much this. If you like it play it. If you don't, then don't, but don't try and knock it before you try it. :D I for one am excited and can't wait to find out what the game may bring to the table.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-25 20:47:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

Thats where im divided, i want to wait until after launch to get it. My problem is i want collectors edition, and im not sure if ill be able to find it after release. So im on the fence of buying it at release or not

I'd be very surprised if 8 hours is the cap at retail, it's just such a small amount of time and it doesn't seem logical. In fact a lot of mechanics in the game would be pointless with it in. Guildleves for example :/
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-25 20:48:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Oumura said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Pretty much this. If you like it play it. If you don't, then don't, but don't try and knock it before you try it. :D I for one am excited and can't wait to find out what the game may bring to the table.

Same, there's no chance in hell I won't get retail, I honestly can't wait to explore the menus, character creation and other things. I always spend like 1 hour in the options of single player games lol.
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-08-25 20:49:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

I'd be very surprised if 8 hours is the cap at retail, it's just such a small amount of time and it doesn't seem logical. In fact a lot of mechanics in the game would be pointless with it in. Guildleves for example :/

I havent really looked at much besides classes. The only thing i know is i have most weekends free. So i want to just sit down and exp until my balls fuse with the chair. And their taking away my right to use industrial glue dissolvant on my chairskin.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-08-25 21:02:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

I havent really looked at much besides classes. The only thing i know is i have most weekends free. So i want to just sit down and exp until my balls fuse with the chair. And their taking away my right to use industrial glue dissolvant on my chairskin.

Actually, if you are just XP'ing on the weekend, the system right now means you still gain XP and SP for 8 Hours at 100% and then 7 hours where it finally diminishes to zero. So that's 15 hours of actually progression available in it's current reported state. It will take a lot more time to balance the actual Values though.

Part of me hates the idea of being limited into this, but at the same time, It's kind of nice having a limit to get to, and then being able to focus elsewhere, such as making gil or dicking around. I personally don't believe this is for "Casual" Players benefit as much as it is for the Developer's benefit of being able to gauge the possible progression of their client base, and being able to create new content updates with a fairly accurate guess of where the player base will be.

Though I'm not particularly a fan of this system, I'm not particularly against it, if they make it Easy to gain XP up to the limit, but have that limit, it's as equal in my eyes as having No limit, but taking 45,000XP to gain a level.

As long as the UI lag and targeting controls are fixed, I'm still all for FFXIV. At worst, I'll be paying 5$ extra a month to play FFXI with access to FFXIV if some interesting content is implemented. (FFXI for FFXIV subscribers is only 7$) so whatever, not like I'm buying a new PC for the game or anything.
 Phoenix.Oumura
By Phoenix.Oumura 2010-08-25 21:07:15
Link | Quote | Reply

As stated before, the UI lag is mainly because its all server-side for now. Upon release it should be client-side so hopefully it will be much better. :D
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7