First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Lakshmi.Seoha
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Mameshiba
By Lakshmi.Seoha 2010-08-25 11:18:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice find Flion~
These rumors were bothering the heck out of everyone.

*edit*
ding!
By Zekko 2010-08-25 11:24:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Zekko said:
The 1 hour system is a lie, but actually the current system is 8 hours a week/day(no one knows yet whether its per day/week..)

I hope they don't keep that because it's the worst thing i've ever seen implemented on an MMO

Whats that?! SE implementing something horrible in a game?! Who knew!?

I didnt D: Would of thought they'd learn from past mistakes

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-25 13:00:17
Link | Quote | Reply

If you guys think MMO companies are all going to continue designing games that give hardcore players absolute, linear time-investment v. reward advantages over casual players, you're sadly mistaken.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-25 13:03:58
Link | Quote | Reply

FF11 failed to generate its target subscription base, and got mixed reviews, because it was a level treadmill game where someone who had 40 hours a week to play could always get twice as far as someone who had 20 hours. And it took years of such investment to reach the "top."

There just isn't the market for many more of these, guys. Hardcore folks are too expensive, they don't pay enough, and there aren't enough of them. You must attract casual players or you'll die.

I agree that the limitations as stated seem a bit low, and hope SE clears up the rumors. But even as currently framed, there are other advantages to playing even if you're not gaining experience on a specific job / skill set. Think about farming, quests, etc. All things that are immensely valuable to those with more free time than others.

No, you might not hit level 75 (or whatever) 100x faster than someone who only has a few hours a week to play, but it'll also mean the game might not get as bashed in the press and scare off potentially millions of users because there's no way to compete unless you have gobs of free time. (Like FF11 did.)
[+]
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Server: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2010-08-25 13:15:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Firstly, I'm sorry for spamming XIV threads, I just want to get this cleared up :/ I wish we had a general news topic.

Surplus points: a new feature in the Final Fantasy XIV beta was introduced recently and has testers and fans on the outside quite confused. Most people consider it akin to "fatigue," where a character is beset with limitations after a certain amount of play. With no official announcement or explanation on how these points work, fan sites and forums have been struggling to figure them out -- often leading to some harsh criticism of the game. Now, Producer Hiromichi Tanaka seems to have built up some "fatigue" of his own, and lashed out at foreign sites on Twitter today, calling them full of rumors and fabrications.
Hiromichi.Tanaka said:
"Foreign sites have lots of false rumors. They throw together words and fabricate remarks. Then Japanese sites take this and further [falsify it through] mistranslation. The fatigue point criticism has absolutely nothing to do with the actual [system] and is just full of wild ideas."
In other words, the "fatigue point" system as people discuss it in forums is supposedly nothing like the system as it is in the actual game. Furthermore, the last line states that he believes too many people are just coming up with what they think fatigue might be and making the discussion even worse.

Sure, wild speculation is not hard to find while wading through any popular forum, but the assertion that this is the fault of foreign sites is a little harsh. A quick glance at the a thread called 疲労度システム (fatigue point system) in the JP Beta forums reveals pages of baffled testers, trying to figure out what the system does exactly. Many early replies to Tanaka's post on Twitter also pointed out the lack of any explanation before putting the system into the game.

At least we know the producer of the game has been apprised of the issue. As mentioned many times, the entire testing process was based on building the game in accordance to player feedback. Will it be received and implemented into the design process, or continue to be dismissed as wild delusions? Hopefully, we will see a more measured response in the coming days.

[Source: http://ffxiv.zam.com/story.html?story=23080]

Apparently no-one knows what surplus EXP or what the fatigue system is yet. All the interviews have been misconstrued, and the famous "You can only play for 1 hour" rumour was simply falsified information from 2chan trying to stir ***.

Yes cus SE is famous for clearly explaining how things work...
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-25 13:16:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

scare off potentially millions of users because there's no way to compete unless you have gobs of free time. (Like FF11 did.)

This^ So many potential subscribers veered off FFXI just because it took so much time to even get into the game, let alone catch up with players who have been playing for a year(s).

8 hours a day does seem kind of restricting, but it could also work as a way to prevent overcrowding in XP camps, which was a huge problem when FFXI landed.
 Bismarck.Rellz
Server: Bismarck
user: Relleum
By Bismarck.Rellz 2010-08-25 13:18:40
Link | Quote | Reply

So we pay a monthly fee to be limited on what we can do so our exp goes down? i would understand if the game was free but if i pay a monthly fee for a game i wanna do what i want to

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Rellz
By Bismarck.Rellz 2010-08-25 13:22:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I never played WoW and never will but thats a nice system
By Zekko 2010-08-25 13:27:49
Link | Quote | Reply

We are paying to play, they can do other things to help casual people such as EXP boosts when they are off for certain periods of time. Restricting Hardcore players is a big no no and many people(supposedly) have cancelled their preorders, i hope they take off the fatigue
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-25 13:28:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Rellz said:
So we pay a monthly fee to be limited on what we can do so our exp goes down? i would understand if the game was free but if i pay a monthly fee for a game i wanna do what i want to

All online games have rules, algorithms and limitations. SE have also yet to take a stance on this and prove/disprove the criticisms.
Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Well I guess our opinions differ on those points.

I believe FFXI's failure is mainly because of the game being too slow paced on lower levels and being completely based on teamplay from A to Z.

In truth it's slow paced always. MMOs work under a time vs reward system. Everything in FFXI, even travelling, takes a lot of time. Fortunately they seem to be breaking away from that with 6man and solo content.
Caitsith.Shiroi said:

If they made FFXI more solo friendly, for leveling, faster leveling up to level 50's~ it would have been a greater success imo.

Maybe. FFXI still falls into routine through doing x event over and over and over so we can get x item to improve our performance so that we can do the same event over and over but a little more efficiently. It's quite demoralising for casuals, though they probably would've stuck around if only a little longer if they could XP faster.
Caitsith.Shiroi said:

But I see how a system like that can help casuals not being too far behind but there's a few points that would scare me. 8 hours a week is short

I agree, 8hrs/day would be more realistic, or they could simply reduce the XP curve so it's only a small % of the overall gameplay.
 Alexander.Tenshisan
Server: Alexander
user: Tenshisan
By Alexander.Tenshisan 2010-08-25 13:33:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bit late to the party but;
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Love how they try to shift the blame for the whole thing away from themselves not explaining the system to begin with and onto "foreign sites".
Yeah, that made me laugh too. Good old JP

[+]
 Cerberus.Kalyna
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2010-08-25 13:34:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
FF11 failed to generate its target subscription base, and got mixed reviews, because it was a level treadmill game where someone who had 40 hours a week to play could always get twice as far as someone who had 20 hours. And it took years of such investment to reach the "top."

There just isn't the market for many more of these, guys. Hardcore folks are too expensive, they don't pay enough, and there aren't enough of them. You must attract casual players or you'll die.

I agree that the limitations as stated seem a bit low, and hope SE clears up the rumors. But even as currently framed, there are other advantages to playing even if you're not gaining experience on a specific job / skill set. Think about farming, quests, etc. All things that are immensely valuable to those with more free time than others.

No, you might not hit level 75 (or whatever) 100x faster than someone who only has a few hours a week to play, but it'll also mean the game might not get as bashed in the press and scare off potentially millions of users because there's no way to compete unless you have gobs of free time. (Like FF11 did.)
This

Especially when you have Work, School and Homework. Yeah it'll limit hardcore gamers who are unemployed or dropped out of school, but if S-E wants a bigger fanbase, they have to limit how hardcore a game is.

Besides, it gives the hardcore gamers playing more jobs and testing out what they would like to do.

Bismarck.Rellz
By Bismarck.Rellz 2010-08-25 13:34:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Bismarck.Rellz said:

All online games have rules, algorithms and limitations. SE have also yet to take a stance on this and prove/disprove the criticisms.
Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Well I guess our opinions differ on those points.

I believe FFXI's failure is mainly because of the game being too slow paced on lower levels and being completely based on teamplay from A to Z.

In truth it's slow paced always. MMOs work under a time vs reward system. Everything in FFXI, even travelling, takes a lot of time. Fortunately they seem to be breaking away from that with 6man and solo content.
Caitsith.Shiroi said:

If they made FFXI more solo friendly, for leveling, faster leveling up to level 50's~ it would have been a greater success imo.

Maybe. FFXI still falls into routine through doing x event over and over and over so we can get x item to improve our performance so that we can do the same event over and over but a little more efficiently. It's quite demoralising for casuals, though they probably would've stuck around if only a little longer if they could XP faster.
Caitsith.Shiroi said:

But I see how a system like that can help casuals not being too far behind but there's a few points that would scare me. 8 hours a week is short

I agree, 8hrs/day would be more realistic, or they could simply reduce the XP curve so it's only a small % of the overall gameplay.
Well if they do this they will only get casual players but if they make a system that works for both then they get a larger playerbase so we will see.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-25 13:36:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ultimately depends, Casual players would outnumber hardcore MMOers thus increasing profit. Finding a perfect balance is pretty difficult, but yeah, I don't think 8hrs/week is feasible, even as much as I hate XPing.
 Alexander.Gib
user: Gib
By Alexander.Gib 2010-08-25 13:39:03
Link | Quote | Reply

sure the one hour system might be false but still

http://kotaku.com/5621786/final-fantasy-xivs-play+limiting-fatigue-system-explained

so basically you have 15 hours a week to play a job before you don't get XP

that just awful, I'm sorry if you're doing something like that, you better have a crap ton of jobs, not like 8

I find it funny that they go from FFXI were the game yells at you for not grinding to FF14 where the games yells at you for grinding

Alexander.Gib
By Alexander.Gib 2010-08-25 13:48:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I still they should just give like XP boosts for 8 hours a week then have XP goto like a flat amount or something.

I don't mind with giving casual players rewards, but punishing hardcore players seems kind of silly.

also it comes off as "We want people to play this game for months if not years, what better way to keep people playing then to put up articfical boundaries!"

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-08-25 13:54:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I was hoping for Tia Tanaka to announce this...but...
But this is cool, too.
 Cerberus.Kalyna
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2010-08-25 13:57:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Gib said:

http://kotaku.com/5621786/final-fantasy-xivs-play+limiting-fatigue-system-explained

that just awful, I'm sorry if you're doing something like that, you better have a crap ton of jobs, not like 8

I find it funny that they go from FFXI were the game yells at you for not grinding to FF14 where the games yells at you for grinding

there will be 18 jobs avail when you start ffxiv

Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-08-25 13:58:08
Link | Quote | Reply

sup flion

Edit: i know its already been linked, but i just woke up
 Cerberus.Kalyna
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2010-08-25 13:59:05
Link | Quote | Reply

already posted by shiroi
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-08-25 14:00:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Me and flion were going back and forth yesterday, so i just wanted to point out that it is in fact more then 11%.
 Sylph.Kanbaru
Server: Sylph
user: kanbaru
By Sylph.Kanbaru 2010-08-25 14:35:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:

So many potential subscribers veered off FFXI just because it took so much time to even get into the game, let alone catch up with players who have been playing for a year(s).

8 hours a day does seem kind of restricting, but it could also work as a way to prevent overcrowding in XP camps, which was a huge problem when FFXI landed.

Wouldn't this fatigue system just make it worse than ffxi is now as far as new people joining the game? I mean some people who have been playing months in FF14 will be semi high level and new people just getting into wont be able to catch up due to the exp limitation, right? or did I read it wrong
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-25 14:41:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends how they implement it, if they even do. Majority of the people who have a problem with it are FFXI players, who don't generally like the idea of XIV being so much different (which realistically can't be helped. No point re-releasing the exact same game with better graphics.) Really though, casual players won't care so much since they won't XP too long and will bounce from job to job, this is really just an issue for hardcore players. I'm still hoping the rumours are false honestly.
 Sylph.Belmonth
Server: Sylph
user: Belmonth
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-08-25 14:48:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

I agree with you also, otherwise it will also end like Aion, major grindfest that turned away casual people to only have hardcore people grinding non stop, and in the end, they got fed up quickly of the game because they hit 50 really fast and got fed up with the content, to the point that the game quickly died and is down to 4 servers now that are also dying.

Also I agree about the press, the first impressions means everything for a lot of people. Even if they improve over time it already turned away a lot of people because of the first impressions they had, mainly casual players.
 Alexander.Gib
By Alexander.Gib 2010-08-25 15:05:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kalyna said:
Alexander.Gib said:
sure the one hour system might be false but still http://kotaku.com/5621786/final-fantasy-xivs-play+limiting-fatigue-system-explained so basically you have 15 hours a week to play a job before you don't get XP that just awful, I'm sorry if you're doing something like that, you better have a crap ton of jobs, not like 8 I find it funny that they go from FFXI were the game yells at you for not grinding to FF14 where the games yells at you for grinding
I don't consider crafting a 'job'... or do you consider FF11 to have 29 jobs?
 Phoenix.Avelle
Server: Phoenix
user: nuvas
By Phoenix.Avelle 2010-08-25 16:24:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kalyna said:
Alexander.Gib said:

And how many of those 18 are crafting? Because crafting in 14 is the absolute worst system I've ever seen of any MMO and I've seen some tragic ***. They keep coming up with reasons why people aren't going to play this game.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7