2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXIV » General » [XIV] Tanaka Debunks fatigue rumours
[XIV] Tanaka Debunks fatigue rumours
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
By Zekko 2010-08-25 19:56:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Any exp loss for playing a job hardcore is tarded ._.
[+]
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
Server: Alexander
Game: FFXI
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-08-25 19:57:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Zekko said:
Any exp loss for playing a job hardcore is tarded ._.

this x1000
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-25 20:00:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

I'd also like to note the limits aren't based on time, but EXP.

That's a lot better. Gives an identical global cap to everyone. So long as they don't make it ridiculously small it should work.
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-08-25 20:02:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

I'd also like to note the limits aren't based on time, but EXP.

That's a lot better. Gives an identical global cap to everyone. So long as they don't make it ridiculously small it should work.

Its not better. Why should people be allowed to get the same thing if i work harder?
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-25 20:04:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Work harder =/= having more free time, okay. And I said better than what the rumours were making it out to be.
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-08-25 20:08:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Work harder =/= having more free time, okay. And I said better than what the rumours were making it out to be.

If im willing to put in 30 hours a week, and your only willing to put in 15, i should be higher level. thats just fact. trying to change that so that everyone can be equal is really limiting in terms of gameplay. I paid 75 dollars, plus a 13 dollar monthly fee, for them to tell me i can only do what i want 15 hours a week on all my jobs combined? yea thats a good way to keep consumers.
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2010-08-25 20:08:40
Link | Quote | Reply

In City of Heroes and Champions Online, they addressed the issue of casual vs. hardcore playstyles by putting in a user-defined "difficulty" setting.

By default the two games are relatively easy to solo and grind through, and the devs of both games (the original Cryptic team) simply gave players the option of making the game "harder", slowing down progression with a global difficulty slider with several settings if the challenge isn't sufficient.

They maintain the risk-versus-reward payout for using a higher setting by allowing certain quests or boss battles completed on those higher settings to drop unique items that can't be attained on easier/default settings.

This method certainly appeals to both the grindy types as well as the casuals, and seems (to me at least) like a simpler and less heavy-handed approach compared to "penalty" systems that arbitrarily stop player progression after a certain point or limiting how often a beneficial event occurs or a battlefield is available (per hour/per day/per log-in/whatever.)
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-25 20:10:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Casual playerbase in MMOs is usually higher than hardcore playerbase, so yeah they'll rope in a lot more customers. I didn't say I like it, I'd like to blitz to max in 2 weeks but oh well.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-25 20:11:38
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're at the point where you categorize time spent on self-entertainment as "work," I would humbly suggest re-evaluating how you spend your time.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-25 20:12:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd like to point out that Tanaka said he's looking at the system and planning to change it depending on feedback received.
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-08-25 20:12:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
If you're at the point where you categorize time spent on self-entertainment as "work," I would humbly suggest re-evaluating how you spend your time.

its work getting to 75(80 whatever, the max). Its fun being max and fighting high level things.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-25 20:12:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
If you're at the point where you categorize your time spent on self-entertainment as "work," I would humbly suggest re-evaluating how you spend your time.

I also agree with this.
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-08-25 20:12:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
I'd like to point out that Tanaka said he's looking at the system and planning to change it depending on feedback received.

Im planning on hitting the lottery. means it will 100% for sure happen.
By Zekko 2010-08-25 20:13:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:

What lol

Imagine if you were watching TV and suddenly it switches off. You ring up the TV company whom you pay your licence too and they say "Oh you've had your 8 hours of TV this week, you have been watching too much now you have to wait a while" Even though you pay to watch the TV.

It's BS
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Idk man, people in FFXI treated the game like work. In the end it didnt even feel like entertainment for me. Thats why i quit, it pretty much becomes a chore.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-25 20:13:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Tidusblitz said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
If you're at the point where you categorize time spent on pure self-entertainment as "work," I would humbly suggest re-evaluating how you spend your time.

its work getting to 75(80 whatever, the max). Its fun being max and fighting high level things.

That's where we differ. As much as I didn't necessarily want to be levelling subs I had no desire to play, I still found it enjoyable playing XI.
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-08-25 20:14:11
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI(and MMOs in general) are not instant gratification. You get what you put in. If you work hard, youll have the best stuff.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-25 20:14:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

Right, chances of winning the lottery and the chance that a dev team adjusts gameplay mechanics while it's still in Beta Phase are obviously the same.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-25 20:14:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

I'm pretty sure you don't remember the amount of systems changed in XI at the beginning. Or any MMO for that matter. Every issue that he's pointed out he's gone to fix. It's not a lottery, it's a matter of time.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-25 20:15:28
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI(and MMOs in general) are not instant gratification. You get what you put in. If you work hard, youll have the best stuff.

If it's work, you shouldn't be playing the game. I thought everyone enjoyed levelling up :/
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-25 20:16:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Zekko said:
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:

What lol

Imagine if you were watching TV and suddenly it switches off. You ring up the TV company whom you pay your licence too and they say "Oh you've had your 8 hours of TV this week, you have been watching too much now you have to wait a while" Even though you pay to watch the TV.

It's BS

Ridiculous analogies sure are popular. You pay a subscription to whatever they offer, don't like it, don't subscribe. Your ISP could allocate 2 hours a day, their rules, you play along.
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-08-25 20:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

I'm pretty sure you don't remember the amount of systems changed in XI at the beginning. Or any MMO for that matter. Every issue that he's pointed out he's gone to fix. It's not a lottery, it's a matter of time.

my point was he doesnt actually explain ***. Hes "looking at it" they could look at it and decide its fine. we cant base things off what people plan to do. Its less then a month until launch, Its safe to say there wont be too many big updates before launch.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-25 20:18:22
Link | Quote | Reply

More people find other methods of achievement more enjoyable, and they are just as willing to pay $15/month to get it as you are. Why should SE listen to you over them?
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-08-25 20:18:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

If it's work, you shouldn't be playing the game. I thought everyone enjoyed levelling up :/

i already explained, its work getting to the highest lvl. I just go into auto-pilot, turn on the TV, and barely pay attention to exp pts. Now when i get to 75(lets say pld) and tank khimaira, thats funner then hell. Tanking a little pink bird for 5 hours is not fun. I work to get to the fun
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-08-25 20:19:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
More people find other methods of achievement more enjoyable, and they are just as willing to pay $15/month to get it as you are. Why should SE listen to you over them?

So why should we pander to the lowest common denominator? Making it unlimited does nothing to that person.
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2010-08-25 20:19:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't fault hardcore players that use the term "work" to describe their efforts--after all, we use the term "work" in the sense of "working towards one's goals" as being synonymous with "achieving", also. :p
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-25 20:19:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
we would like to address the speed with which experience begins to drop off and are already looking into it.
Also, since experience points fatigue carries over despite changing weapons, we plan to make it not so harsh.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-08-25 20:20:50
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-08-25 20:21:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Quote:
we would like to address the speed with which experience begins to drop off and are already looking into it.
Also, since experience points fatigue carries over despite changing weapons, we plan to make it not so harsh.

That explains nothing, while still giving people a reason to play and think it will get better. Making it less harsh could be adding another 5 minutes.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-25 20:21:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

i already explained, its work getting to the highest lvl. I just go into auto-pilot, turn on the TV, and barely pay attention to exp pts. Now when i get to 75(lets say pld) and tank khimaira, thats funner then hell. Tanking a little pink bird for 5 hours is not fun. I work to get to the fun

If you don't find it fun, I don't understand why you're playing tbh.
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-08-25 20:22:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

If you don't find it fun, I don't understand why you're playing tbh.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7