New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Make Paladin Great Again
Make Paladin Great Again
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
By Rostein 2019-05-26 17:21:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Martel said: »
68% PDT + an Ochain shield block(66%) is a -89.12% dmg reduction. Phalanx to 0 dmg.

Haven't done super rigorous tests, but did a few and I'm almost sure that, just like with Aegis' mdt, you cant go above 87,5 pdt when adding the shields reduction to your dt set. (which would make Priwen worse than expected I guess)

Maybe this is old news but anyway :o
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2019-05-26 22:42:18
Link | Quote | Reply

You can literally see 0s vs damage from mobs (of the right level) based on whether you’re facing the mobs or not.
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2019-05-26 22:59:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
there are only 2 tanks in the game in contrast to other classes like DD. in this case you don't face the situation where one job stands out OP and you have to nerf him or do lots more work by buffing all the others.

BRD vs GEO all over again, perhaps caused by a glitch too, /shrug.
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2019-05-26 23:58:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Rostein said: »
68% PDT + an Ochain shield block(66%) is a -89.12% dmg reduction. Phalanx to 0 dmg.

Haven't done super rigorous tests, but did a few and I'm almost sure that, just like with Aegis' mdt, you cant go above 87,5 pdt when adding the shields reduction to your dt set. (which would make Priwen worse than expected I guess)

Super rigorous aside, how about you start with presenting any actual test data at all? Cause frankly that's a fairly outlandish claim.

Shield blocks are a separate term from PDT. They are not additive like MDT and MDT II. So shields and PDT work more like MDT and vallation/valliance's interaction. Which btw, used together can reduce magic dmg by more than 87.5%.

So this claim doesn't make a whole lot of sense with regards to how shield blocks work.
[+]
By Rostein 2019-05-29 23:28:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Super rigorous aside, how about you start with presenting any actual test data at all? Cause frankly that's a fairly outlandish claim.

Shield blocks are a separate term from PDT. They are not additive like MDT and MDT II. So shields and PDT work more like MDT and vallation/valliance's interaction. Which btw, used together can reduce magic dmg by more than 87.5%.

So this claim doesn't make a whole lot of sense with regards to how shield blocks work.

I don't know if it makes sense or not, I'm just stating what I saw, so yeah I might be wrong about the 87.5 thing and it just seemed like that was what was happening when I tested different shields, but unless I understand everything wrong about how shields work (which can absolutely be the case) there's clearly a cap, otherwise when you equip srivatsa, being size 5 + 75 def + 6 SDB (8 according to bg and the japanese) you should hit 98%~100% damage reduction (with empy hands you should hit 100% for sure), and thats clearly not what I saw in the numbers.

I don't play anymore so I can't test it again, and I never saved the data, because I did it just for myself because I was curious.

Now if you tell me that everything I said is wrong, and tell me why it is wrong or how it really works, all the better for me, I'd rather understand how stuff works even if it means I look like an ignorant for a few posts in a forum and I apologize if I spreaded any misinformation on what I wrote.
 Phoenix.Mikumaru
Server: Phoenix
user: Mikumaru
By Phoenix.Mikumaru 2019-05-30 07:01:34
Link | Quote | Reply

You can block for 0 dmg. The dmg redux from a block isnt part of the PDT MDT BDT DT terms. So if you're reducing the damage you take low enough, the shield can negate the rest.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2019-05-30 10:25:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know if it makes sense or not, I'm just stating what I saw, so yeah I might be wrong about the 87.5 thing and it just seemed like that was what was happening when I tested different shields, but unless I understand everything wrong about how shields work (which can absolutely be the case) there's clearly a cap, otherwise when you equip srivatsa, being size 5 + 75 def + 6 SDB (8 according to bg and the japanese) you should hit 98%~100% damage reduction (with empy hands you should hit 100% for sure), and thats clearly not what I saw in the numbers.

I don't play anymore so I can't test it again, and I never saved the data, because I did it just for myself because I was curious.

Now if you tell me that everything I said is wrong, and tell me why it is wrong or how it really works, all the better for me, I'd rather understand how stuff works even if it means I look like an ignorant for a few posts in a forum and I apologize if I spreaded any misinformation on what I wrote.
I really wasn't feeling up to doing hours worth of new testing over this, but I was able to find some old test data that I believe contradicts your hypothesis.

So, if PDT and shield blocks have a joint cap that only allows dmg to be reduced by 87.5% max, then any shield test with a large dmg reduction shield and capped PDT should show less damage reduction on block than would be expected of the shield in question, since it would be hitting the proposed cap.

Thus, if I have a test with 50% PDT, that still shows the full dmg reduction on the shield in effect, it should contradict the cap hypothesis.

This is one of my old Aegis tests. Way back when I recorded as many factors about each test as I felt was reasonable, because I didn't know for certain what factors affected everything. Thus this test notes the PDT used. 50%.

If you look at the highlighted cell, you can see that the on block dmg reduction for this test was 81%. The known value for Aegis. This was not a manually entered value, but a number derived from the difference between the average unblocked hit and the average blocked hit. You can see the formula used in the formula bar at the top of the image.

Now, lets do some math.

The avg unblocked hit was 76.84 with 50% PDT. This means that before pdt the damage would have been 153.68.

If we use our current PDT and shield block model, then we would do.

base * PDT * Block.
153.68 * 0.5 * 0.19 = 14.59. This is extremely close to the observed avg blocked hit of 14.54. And since we never actually observe non integer dmg values, I should probably be flooring during each step of the calculations as SE likely does. So just 14.

Now, it's obvious at this point that block dmg- and PDT reductions are not additive. We'd already be capped. But what about the total multiplicative reduction? Are we going beyond a 87.5% reduction here?

So, if we took the pre-PDT base of 153.68 and apply an 87.5% reduction..
153.68*0.125 = 19.21.

But our observed blocked hit avg is 14.54 Thus we are reducing the damage by more than 87.5%.

If you calculate the total dmg reduction using the base and and final dmg you get a 90.5388% reduction.

If you calculate the total reduction using 50% PDT and 81% block dmg reduction you get 90.5% total dmg reduction.

These are spot on. So while were aren't going past 87.5% by much we are without a doubt able to surpass this proposed cap.

Srivatsa + Burtgang PDT would have made for a more extreme example, but I never made Srivatsa, and didn't really feel like retesting anyway. I think the data and explanations here should be more than sufficient to show that the current PDT/shield interaction model is correct.
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2019-05-30 11:32:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I think, Martel, a simple formula would help alleviate the confusion.
According to my understanding, the reduction rate formula is:
[DamageTaken] x [1 - 0.tPDT] x [1 - 0.(ShieldSizeRed) - 0.(ShieldDEF/2) - 0.(tSDB)]

I think Rostein's confusion is the additive part of the shield size, shield DEF, and the Shield Defense bonus... which for Srivasta would be -75%(size5) - 75/2% - 8% for a naked 99 PLD, for a total of -120%. (so a -100% damage on every blocked hit)
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2019-05-30 12:15:28
Link | Quote | Reply

While I think your basic formula there is sound, those Srivatsa numbers are really off.

size 5 base dmg reduction is 55%. 75% is what aegis has after shield def, but before 99PLD SDB.

So using Aegis since it's a well known and massively tested example.

Size5Base+(shieldDef/2)+SDB
55=(40/2)+6 = 81
I'm aware that BGwiki, and JP wiki both have 99 PLD SDB as 8 at 99. They're wrong. I have tens of thousands of hits of test data that all line up with 6 SDB at 99. Either that or all the shield size base dmg- values are off by -2. But that makes no sense and those values were tested before SDB was even a thing.

So, if we redo this for Srivatsa;

55+(75/2)+6=98.5

Now, I've never been able to determine with any certainty if the block reduction value can be anything but a whole number. So the .5 may need to be floored. Really hard to tell a 0.5% difference. Damn physical dmg randomizer.

So we have either 98% or 98.5%. Assuming there's not a cap on block dmg reduction, then you should be able to hit 100% with any of the available SDB gear.

I will note, the highest block dmg- shield I can recall testing was Priwen at 88.5%. So I can't excluded the possibly of there being block dmg reduction cap that's higher than that value.

I guess if I ever join another Aeonic run I could make Srivatsa and test this.
[+]
By soralin 2019-05-30 12:35:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I believe it has also been confirmed that Founder's Breastplate's effect also is a separate reduction, and allows us to further surpass the 87.5% DT cap.

You can also further show the extremity of these effects by stacking on Shield Def Bonus effects. Chozor. Coselete and Chev +1 gauntlets would give another 6%.
By FaeQueenCory 2019-05-31 07:22:18
Link | Quote | Reply

75% is what aegis has after shield def, but before 99PLD SDB.
THERE we go! That's the error. All the wikis have Aegis' block reduction as 75% for being a size 5 shield.

soralin said: »
I believe it has also been confirmed that Founder's Breastplate's effect also is a separate reduction, and allows us to further surpass the 87.5% DT cap.
It's not so much a surpassing, but that it's not DT proper. It's SDT (Special Damage Taken), usually a thing only relevant for BST pets as it mostly sticks to specific damage types... but also species too.
Which is the case with Founder's Breastplate. (SDT is multiplicative with DT just like Valliance/Vallation and shield reduction. Which all may have a cap, but isnt' a part of the DT cap.)
 Shiva.Humpo
Server: Shiva
user: Humpo
By Shiva.Humpo 2019-05-31 09:57:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Give PLD Foil.
 Bahamut.Alexcennah
Server: Bahamut
user: digoserra
By Bahamut.Alexcennah 2019-05-31 10:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Humpo said: »
Give PLD Foil.
Give Reprisal 320CE/880VE and 30-45 seconds recast.
[+]
 Sylph.Brahmsz
Server: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2019-05-31 10:54:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Alexcennah said: »
Give PLD Foil.
Do the same for Enlight and Enlight II. Perhaps give Enlight II a hidden effect like Endark II does for DRK.
[+]
By Shichishito 2019-05-31 11:44:25
Link | Quote | Reply

5 pages of discussion when the solution is so obvious
[+]
 Shiva.Humpo
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Humpo 2019-05-31 11:57:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Give PLD Foil.

Hmm.. Well, I'm happy you knew why I said it, but also very sad that I didn't think of it first!

If that is main hand, Totally using BrO-chain in offhand!
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2019-05-31 12:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah!, A wonderful summary of the importance of the underlying premise.
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2019-05-31 12:47:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I always wanted to be able to use Ochain and Calad for VIT stacking
By volkom 2019-05-31 13:38:38
Link | Quote | Reply

this combo is basically Archer from Fate/stay night...
By Shichishito 2019-05-31 13:46:23
Link | Quote | Reply

if you take it as a single hand weapon the only viable offhand can only be
 Alexander.Humpo
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Humpo 2019-05-31 14:57:27
Link | Quote | Reply

if you take it as a single hand weapon the only viable offhand can only be

If they are single hand only, PLD/NIN is going to be a thing again REALLY FAST!
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2019-05-31 15:13:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Brahmsz said: »
Give PLD Foil.
Do the same for Enlight and Enlight II. Perhaps give Enlight II a hidden effect like Endark II does for DRK.
Enlight and Enlight II give an acc bonus equal to the en dmg. Just like endark gives an atk bonus. So unless Endark has some other hidden effect I'm not aware of, they should be fairly even on those terms.

Also, Flashga. Just Do it SE!
By Nariont 2019-05-31 15:18:21
Link | Quote | Reply

assuming its in reference to the +20 acc the job point category gives which isnt listed in the desc of it iirc.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2019-05-31 15:26:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ahh, well. PLD gets the same thing anyway. The enlight job points add to the en-dmg and acc.
By Nariont 2019-05-31 15:35:39
Link | Quote | Reply

well yeah, but the endark one says: "Increase damage and physical attack by 1" but it also gives +1 acc per point in the category, hence hidden. Itd be like if enlight gave +20 atk without mentioning it
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2019-05-31 15:43:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ahh, I get what you mean. Now I'm goign to have to go cast enlight II and see if I'm getting any unlisted bonuses... I don't expect any, but the there have been a lot of parallels between enlight/endark and reprisal/dread spikes.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2019-05-31 18:03:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Just following up on this idea. There doesn't seem to be a hidden bonus of any sort that I can find on 20/20 JP Enlight II. Getting the expected +140 acc at 560 skill and 20/20 JP. No increase in atk. Or anything else easily observable. Not surprising, but was worth checking for.
[+]
 Sylph.Brahmsz
Server: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2019-05-31 18:16:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Nariont said: »
assuming its in reference to the +20 acc the job point category gives which isnt listed in the desc of it iirc.

Yes, sorry. I keep thinking the Endark II hidden accuracy bonus is common knowledge.

well yeah, but the endark one says: "Increase damage and physical attack by 1" but it also gives +1 acc per point in the category, hence hidden. Itd be like if enlight gave +20 atk without mentioning it

Edit: Double checked and it is infact only +20 Accuracy. Mind you... this was back when People were still screaming "nerf BLU" because 2Handers (ie WAR+DRK) had really horrible accuracy and that +20 felt like a lifesaver. Ahhh.. 2013~2016. What a long time ago...

Ahh, I get what you mean. Now I'm goign to have to go cast enlight II and see if I'm getting any unlisted bonuses... I don't expect any, but the there have been a lot of parallels between enlight/endark and reprisal/dread spikes.

Be interesting to find out. Keep us posted.
By FaeQueenCory 2019-05-31 18:52:15
Link | Quote | Reply

No one tell SE... cause that sounds like they derped the code. (though it's only 20acc... so when they notice and drop it... won't be a *huge* loss....)
By volkom 2019-05-31 23:00:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Too bad pld doesn't have mirror opposite abilities of drk.
Like a last resort but instead of +atk/-def and job haste its +def/-atk and job haste while with shield.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9