Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-12-12 12:45:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
SimonSes said: »
All good Reichleiu, but how is grinding for Rostam easier than grinding for rema? All rema are easy to get and just require time and/or gils, nothing more.

Throwing gil at something vs throwing gil and a grind are different.

Going to AH and buying Rostam is very different then making a Death Penalty.

It really really isn't. Gil is Gil, you can pay for the entire DP to be made the same as you can for just buying a rostam, it'll just cost more, thats all.

Asura.Reichleiu said: »
Things
If it takes "a week" to earn 150m why does it take MONTHS to earn 300m? math fail.
[+]
By Afania 2018-12-12 12:45:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Except that isn't what these specific weapons are for. They said it was for newer/returning players.
Things like "best...offhand" should never be possible...
...for these weapons

Veteran players don't need them if their goal is to design them for new players. It shouldn't be even BIS for "certain situations" for a veteran player, that's what Dynamis Divergence and the entire line of REMA/All other content items are for.

If they give us a weapon that doesn't beat rema, pt will still shout for rema and never settle for 2nd best. And all the veteran player won't bother getting them, it's waste of resources because new players problem isnt solved and vet won't bother with them.

If they give us a weapon that's situationally good for veteran player, both benefits. So why not?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-12-12 12:46:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Nyarlko said: »
Except that isn't what these specific weapons are for. They said it was for newer/returning players.

But that actually is not what they said at all. What they said was:
POL said:
So what’s the story behind these Ambuscade arms? With the overall character advancement path taking shape, we’ve been aware that there’s a rather significant hurdle to acquiring weapons with certain parameters, (read this as "magic damage stats") and it’s made some hesitant to take the plunge. We believe these Ambuscade arms will serve to give these players the boost they need.
Bolded above is personal notation.

There is no mention about these being for newer players.

The discussion about these being the Oboro 2.0 for new players came fron this line, and started on this page:
https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/51608/dev-tracker-discussion/87/
Quote:
We hope that you’ll enjoy using Ambuscade as a stepping stone to bigger and grander adventures in Vana’diel.

If I misunderstood the intention of these weapons, then my mistake. I was going off of the discussions and what was stated at the end. I didn't know it referenced your notes about magical damage.

Now if that is the case, what about weapons like Hand-to-Hand, polearm, archery that have no (good) magical weaponskills (and no MAB/MDMG added to the ambuscade weapon)? Seems like it would benefit some jobs, but not all, so that makes me feel funny about it being for that purpose.

Eletta Knuckles
[+]
By Tarage 2018-12-12 13:27:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
All good Reichleiu, but how is grinding for Rostam easier than grinding for rema? All rema are easy to get and just require time and/or gils, nothing more.

It really really isn't. Gil is Gil, you can pay for the entire DP to be made the same as you can for just buying a rostam, it'll just cost more, thats all.

It... hurts... but I have to agree here. Eiryl is correct. Now excuse me, I'm going to throw up.
[+]
By Nyarlko 2018-12-12 13:47:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Nyarlko said: »

But that actually is not what they said at all. What they said was:
POL said:
So what’s the story behind these Ambuscade arms? With the overall character advancement path taking shape, we’ve been aware that there’s a rather significant hurdle to acquiring weapons with certain parameters, (read this as "magic damage stats") and it’s made some hesitant to take the plunge. We believe these Ambuscade arms will serve to give these players the boost they need.
Bolded above is personal notation.

There is no mention about these being for newer players.

The discussion about these being the Oboro 2.0 for new players came fron this line, and started on this page:
https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/51608/dev-tracker-discussion/87/
Quote:
We hope that you’ll enjoy using Ambuscade as a stepping stone to bigger and grander adventures in Vana’diel.

If I misunderstood the intention of these weapons, then my mistake. I was going off of the discussions and what was stated at the end. I didn't know it referenced your notes about magical damage.

Now if that is the case, what about weapons like Hand-to-Hand, polearm, archery that have no (good) magical weaponskills (and no MAB/MDMG added to the ambuscade weapon)? Seems like it would benefit some jobs, but not all, so that makes me feel funny about it being for that purpose.

Eletta Knuckles

I feel that the "stepping stone" phrase is in reference to "until you get RMEA". ^^;; Meaning these will be better than a lot of current weapons for their intended use case, but there should still be something better.

Macc still helps with added effects on weapon skills, ALL of the jobs on the bow have access to the melee weapons as well (which DO have MAB/Mdmg, and RNG even gets to choose between 3: axe/dagger/sword,) polearm does have MAB/Mdmg, and H2H... yeah, looks like they're the oddmanout for some reason.. Someone might want to double-check the JP dat files to make sure it isn't a trans/localization error.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-12-12 13:58:19
Link | Quote | Reply

The only thing H2H has is Plague land rate from Shijin Spiral? All I can think of. The bow is fine as an macc swap, but you'll lose tp if you're on any DD job since the ammo slot has far superior options. Only RDM can use it for a huge macc bonus. The Gkatana I guess is fine, but with Jinpu, MAB would have helped a lot (strangely the only 2-handed option that didn't get MAB on it. Gaxe has no mag ws). Raiden/Thunder Thrust is trash, so that MAB is going to a lot of waste (Macc for stardiver/leg sweep).

Idk...I can't imagine them making a line of weapons for this purpose, if it's not really equitable. The one-handed options looks really promising. H2H sucks, but staff may be better than Reikokon when it's all said and done, so Monk gets a superior Cataclysm piece.
By Nyarlko 2018-12-12 14:50:52
Link | Quote | Reply

The only thing H2H has is Plague land rate from Shijin Spiral? All I can think of. The bow is fine as an macc swap, but you'll lose tp if you're on any DD job since the ammo slot has far superior options. Only RDM can use it for a huge macc bonus. The Gkatana I guess is fine, but with Jinpu, MAB would have helped a lot (strangely the only 2-handed option that didn't get MAB on it. Gaxe has no mag ws). Raiden/Thunder Thrust is trash, so that MAB is going to a lot of waste (Macc for stardiver/leg sweep).

Idk...I can't imagine them making a line of weapons for this purpose, if it's not really equitable. The one-handed options looks really promising. H2H sucks, but staff may be better than Reikokon when it's all said and done, so Monk gets a superior Cataclysm piece.

When was the last time that you can think of where the devs put "equitable" (or even "logical") as a higher priority than "theme"? lol

You forgot Shoulder Tackle's stun. And it doesn't matter if the applicable WS are "trash", since there is nothing stopping anyone from using them.

I believe that the lack of MAB on the bow is due to the possibility of DWing the 1h weapons, and they didn't want us to triple dip.

MNK/PUP don't have any magic damage ws, spells or abilities (Chi Blast maybe? I have no idea how that works nowadays..) so the lack of MAB on the knuckles doesn't seem like that bad a thing.

Same goes for great axe for the most part, though MAB could help a RUN's JA damage if they really want to equip a GAxe for some reason. XD

Great katana actually feels like a pretty big mistake to me. :/
By Taint 2018-12-12 15:24:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Things
If it takes "a week" to earn 150m why does it take MONTHS to earn 300m? math fail.

Rostrum AH = 5 seconds.
DP = full merc still takes a ton more time. Nyzul, einherjar, assaults all take hours even hacking. Then there are the tedious salvage boss and kill xmob 300 times etc. Very different processes but yes both can be done with money. Does anyone even full merc mythics? Seems like a horrible life choice lol.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-12-12 15:25:44
Link | Quote | Reply

There was a time for sure when they did, haven't seen any shouts recently though. They were significantly over charging. Unsustainable business practice.

Wanted tokens merced last year cause im just to lazy to care but they wanted like 10m per run and didnt even have the decency to use speed hax.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-12-12 16:37:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone who has made a mythic will tell you how it's so very different to build one of those things compared to buying a weapon off AH/Bazaar. It's common sense .. c'mon. Please use logic. Took me months to mostly solo mine .. and there's no chance in hell any amount of gil was going to make that grind go quicker.

At least with Relic and Empyrean you can buy up all the items and get them done pretty quickly if you don't think about magian trials. Mythics have many, many, many hurdles for you to jump over before you can think about Alexandrites/Beitetsu.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-12-12 16:43:54
Link | Quote | Reply

All of which you can simply bypass with money

Ein isn't necessarily "faster" it could be if they're better at it than you are, but tokens assaults ZNM and trials certainly are
[+]
 Asura.Suteru
user: Suteru
By Asura.Suteru 2018-12-12 16:54:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Just because you're paying someone else to do it doesn't take away the timesink.
[+]
By fonewear 2018-12-12 17:00:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd pay a lot of gil for monk to be great. SE are you listening !
 Ragnarok.Inx
Server: Ragnarok
user: Inxmonk
By Ragnarok.Inx 2018-12-12 18:04:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Anyone who has made a mythic will tell you how it's so very different to build one of those things compared to buying a weapon off AH/Bazaar. It's common sense .. c'mon. Please use logic. Took me months to mostly solo mine .. and there's no chance in hell any amount of gil was going to make that grind go quicker.

At least with Relic and Empyrean you can buy up all the items and get them done pretty quickly if you don't think about magian trials. Mythics have many, many, many hurdles for you to jump over before you can think about Alexandrites/Beitetsu.

Exactly.

Hell, I've got alts that I wouldn't consider making a mythic for because frankly just getting to the alex collection stage is such a drag!

Pretty sure you still need 50/50 assaults and all Aht Urghan missions done in order to get Captain rank and qualify to start the Mythic quest chain.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-12-12 18:48:56
Link | Quote | Reply

All of which you can simply bypass with money
This isn't really the option you say it is. If you pay real money, you get someone using the cheats on your account or china logging you in with a pool of 20 other retards, one of which could get you an IP ban.

If you pay gil, you still have to keep reflagging stuff every 10 min, all the while thinking your character was tied up 3x longer than just doing it yourself(if you're competent). No merc will ever finish a mythic as fast as you can yourself if you have any idea what you're doing, just because their time won't line up perfectly with yours.

Sure, you can drop the gil and not technically attack a mob, but you're going to be inconvenienced like hell for the privilege.
[+]
 Asura.Reichleiu
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2018-12-12 19:02:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Things

It takes months + gil. Not months to make the gil. 300m isn't the requirement for a mythic.. it's every assault, 150k nyzul tokens, 100k ichor + all of the gil. Even with the limitations on everything lessened, it still takes months to complete everything.

How do you not understand that?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-12-12 19:07:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Mythic start to finish is 3 days. and thats only because ein lockout.

AND you could speed it up (with gil) to buy OdinII wins.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-12-12 19:10:05
Link | Quote | Reply

If you multibox effectively but don't cheat, it's about 10 hours for assault, 7 hours for nyzul, throw in ein as you do both, and then 2 days of idling at ein. Add 8-14 hours for ws trials, 3 hours for znm trophies(twice if you dont multibox hugely.. 3 for upgrade and 3 more for trial). Maybe you could do it in 3 days if you don't sleep or work and aren't worried about a playtime ban.

If you have adult responsibilities and can only play 2-3 hours a day, some of which goes to other ingame stuff like keeping up with coalitions or doing a linkshell event, it is months.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-12-12 19:11:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Cheating is absolutely on the table, and encouraged! Just don't swear boys and girls.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-12-12 19:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Cheating is absolutely on the table, and encouraged! Just don't swear boys and girls.

You realize this is the same exact attitude everyone had from 2012 until 2015, when half of you guys got banned in a week period when they turned autobanner on? Everyone thought the playerbase was too small to ban anyone then, too.
[+]
By Staleyx 2018-12-12 19:13:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Playtime ban? Is that when mom yells at me?
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-12-12 19:15:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Staleyx said: »
Playtime ban? Is that when mom yells at me?
Metric based ban because your character was active for too long, they were happening quite frequently last time autobanner was turned on. Deterrant against botting overnight after playing all day.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-12-12 19:17:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean like, I've been actively waiting for it. That thread that pops up will be orgasmic.

But it just isn't happening. It probably will eventually, but you can get nirvana and every single thing you lost in a week.
By fonewear 2018-12-12 20:44:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm reporting all of you for not posting on the official FFXI forum. This website is going down !
[+]
By Zerowone 2018-12-12 21:11:06
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I'm reporting all of you for not posting on the official FFXI forum. This website is going down !

Your account hasn’t been “locked” yet?
By Viciouss 2018-12-12 21:21:50
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

I have thought about coming back to this game but I was banned from the official forums in 2011 for no reason so screw you SE!

Uh, just kidding, I only bought virtually all your RPGs since then, and played 14 for years, but uh, yeah. Screw you SE, your forums suck.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2018-12-12 21:39:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Things
If it takes a week of Ambuscade to make 150M, but then you cap points, you need to wait another month. Then it takes another week to make another 150M, it will have taken 1.25 months. You are wrong.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-12-12 22:18:41
Link | Quote | Reply

No.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2018-12-12 22:21:52
Link | Quote | Reply

No.
Wow, you sure put me in my place...
[+]
 Asura.Ivlilla
user: cevkiv
By Asura.Ivlilla 2018-12-12 22:34:38
Link | Quote | Reply

So, pDIF cap increase for certain jobs as a job trait, Attack Formula change... Did anything actually important happen? Or did certain jobs just get better than they already were, while others didn't get enough of a boost to actually matter to most people?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9