December 2018 Version Update
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Asura.Ivlilla
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: cevkiv
By Asura.Ivlilla 2018-12-11 04:51:28
Link | Quote | Reply

From what I'm seeing, it looks like Damage Limit I is 3%, Damage Limit II is 5%, Damage Limit III is 8%, and Damage Limit V is 13%.

[edit] I need more samples, but it looks like Damage Limit I might be 32/1024 (3.125%)
[+]
By SimonSes 2018-12-11 05:14:38
Link | Quote | Reply

If its 3.125% then my attacks went through a lot of rounding down to came up below 2.9% and ranged attack is the best way to check this, because its static.
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2018-12-11 05:33:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I enjoy that they are changing things, but sometimes I wish the updates would come faster and be a little less ham-fisted. I mean BLU and RDM DD already weren't meta to begin with, and a paltry 3% increase to PDIF limit isn't going to move the needle much for RDM... so while it's cool that they were included, it's little more than lip-service compared to jobs that got multiple tiers as well as a Dynamis neck that also does it.

It's cool that it will benefit monk; especially if they have the +2 torque, but then the same could be said for DRK SAM DRG too since they got just as much (more or less) benefit from the neck as they do the update, so they may as well have buffed them twice back to back before we could even see how much a difference they made on a large scale.

I guess I don't disagree with where they are trying to do, I just disagree with how they are doing it... It just makes the game that much harder for new players to understand when you change how basic things like attack cap work for some jobs, but not others etc. And as I'm the type that likes to try and help and explain things to newer players, I can easily see this becoming another common tripping stone to be misunderstood, and that's before we even know if it's really balanced or if it will just hurl DRK into a DRK onry meta. I guess time will tell. Lord knows I don't have faith in the dev team at this point after the hilarious comment that Dyna D gear was supposed to "level the playing field for non-rema players" when only endgame ready players even do Dyna D :/

We basically get to see what sticks among what they throw at the wall. Though I admit this update seems to be better than some in recent memory.
By Boshi 2018-12-11 05:42:34
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM Bow 30macc is a thing.

Gonna have to make weapon lock toggle more complicated
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2018-12-11 05:59:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The following items may now be delivered to different characters on the same account.

Curmudgeon’s Helmet / Gazer’s Helmet / Retching Helmet / Onion Sword II /
Demonic Axe / Brave Blade II / Karakul Cap
[+]
By geigei 2018-12-11 06:18:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I know a guy who knows a guy at SE and he said blu trait spells gonna be from lv75 legacy server onry.
[+]
 Asura.Ivlilla
By Asura.Ivlilla 2018-12-11 06:23:59
Link | Quote | Reply

All targets were trash outside of San d'Oria.
Average of 99 Samples WHM/BLM with Serenity: 841.31
Average of 99 Samples RDM/BLM with Serenity: 863.5
863.5 / 841.31 = 1.0263
27 / 1024 = 1.0263
Samples

I assume the *** numbers earlier for Damage Limit I were from fewer samples and Chatoyant Staff's lower damage giving less of a range and there less precision. If each level is 27/1024 that does closely follow the smaller sample size tests I did for Damage Limit II, where I got 5.4% (54/1024 = 5.273%), Damage Limit III, where I got 8.2% (81/1024 = 7.910%), and Damage Limit V, where I got 13.37% (135/1024 = 13.183).

So each level is 27/1024 increase?
[+]
 Asura.Beatsbytaru
By Asura.Beatsbytaru 2018-12-11 06:29:30
Link | Quote | Reply

geigei said: »
I know a guy who knows a guy at SE and he said blu trait spells gonna be from lv75 legacy server onry.
Cool, I heard the same from my uncle that works at Nintendo. He's secretly working on Super Mario 4!
 Asura.Bayonette
By Asura.Bayonette 2018-12-11 06:42:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Nyarlko said: »
alamihgo said: »
Sylph.Ticktick said: »
is the ambuscade sword BIS for leaden salute? fettering and hep. rapier have 108 magic dmg and 14 mab. vs 217 and 10.
+30 MACC too. I can hear the sound of hundreds of rapiers clanking on the auction counter already.

Dagger's the same stats and COR can use it too. XD
... And these stats are still going to go higher.

I might make one of each, saved 10 nuggets to use on my grip upgrade and SE trolled me.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Agerine
Server: Bahamut
user: Agerine
By Bahamut.Agerine 2018-12-11 07:05:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait, I get to send my OnionSword2 to my main character now!? Score.
 Bahamut.Alexcennah
user: digoserra
By Bahamut.Alexcennah 2018-12-11 07:39:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Beatsbytaru said: »
Cool, I heard the same from my uncle that works at Nintendo. He's secretly working on Super Mario 4!
Tell him he did an amazing work.
By Nyarlko 2018-12-11 08:02:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bayonette said: »
alamihgo said: »
Sylph.Ticktick said: »
is the ambuscade sword BIS for leaden salute? fettering and hep. rapier have 108 magic dmg and 14 mab. vs 217 and 10.
+30 MACC too. I can hear the sound of hundreds of rapiers clanking on the auction counter already.

Dagger's the same stats and COR can use it too. XD
... And these stats are still going to go higher.

I might make one of each, saved 10 nuggets to use on my grip upgrade and SE trolled me.

They told us at the time they announced the weapons that it would be a diff item for each upgrade stage. If you didn't read, then you trolled yourself. XD
By volkom 2018-12-11 08:07:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Drk buffs are secretly caladbolg buffs. Which means more torcleaver
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2018-12-11 08:09:04
Link | Quote | Reply

So, I'm not exactly seeing this anywhere, but it certainly was changed in this update. My old TP feeding Club (paddle) that used to look like this:

Now looks like this:

New name. Not noted in the version update notes. Ninja edit! I wouldn't have really noticed the name change, but... I just used the item less than 24 hours ago for some fireworks. When I saw the item's name in my inventory list, I thought it was just some random junk I picked up from somewhere, but nope. The cool down timer let me know it was my old paddle with a new name.

After looking it up, Hagoita basically means paddle in Japanese though so I guess it makes sense. Weird little ninja edit. I wonder if any other event stuff like that got renamed.

Edit: The word "Tsukubaneita" cannot be brought up via the translate option any longer as well.
 Bahamut.Alexcennah
user: digoserra
By Bahamut.Alexcennah 2018-12-11 08:42:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aeonova said: »
That's a simple correction. 羽子板 really reads "hagoita". The reading "tsukubaneita" is very odd for the kanji and it seems they felt they should fix it.
[+]
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-12-11 09:05:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Alexcennah said: »
That's a simple correction. 羽子板 really reads "hagoita". The reading "tsukubaneita" is very odd for the kanji and it seems they felt they should fix it.

This is the type of stuff that makes me go "how does that language *** work".
 Asura.Ivlilla
By Asura.Ivlilla 2018-12-11 09:12:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll post the full numbers when I'm finished, but I've tested DL I, DL II, and am testing DL V, and I'm getting the following values:

Damage Limit I: +27/1024
Damage Limit II: +55/1024
Damage Limit V: +155/1024

I'm going to go ahead and predict that Damage Limit III is going to end up being +85/1024, and damage Limit IV will be +118/1024, because 27, 55, 85, and 118 and 155 fit into a specific pattern, and Damage Limit III would be 85/1024 in that pattern.

In /1024ths
DL I = 27
DL II = 55 = 27 + 28
DL III = 85 = 55 + 30
DL IV = 118 = 85 + 33
DL V = 155 = 118 + 37
By Nyarlko 2018-12-11 10:13:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
Bahamut.Alexcennah said: »

This is the type of stuff that makes me go "how does that language *** work".

Memorization. Lots of pure memorization. @_@
Every kanji has at least two ways of reading it, plus context can sometimes change pronunciation. Even so, English is actually still more complicated linguistically. XD
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2018-12-11 10:28:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Every kanji has at least two ways of reading it, plus context can sometimes change pronunciation. Even so, English is actually still more complicated linguistically. XD

I would say Japanese has probably the most complicated writing system. I'm not sure if any other languages have more complicated writing systems, but I doubt there are.

Japanese grammar is actually simpler than English and more consistent.
 Shiva.Spathaian
Server: Shiva
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2018-12-11 10:38:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk said: »

I would say Japanese has probably the most complicated writing system. I'm not sure if any other languages have more complicated writing systems, but I doubt there are.

Japanese grammar is actually simpler than English and more consistent.
Someone has forgotten Mandarin, where the Japanese took all of its Kanji from.
 Asura.Ivlilla
By Asura.Ivlilla 2018-12-11 10:46:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't stay up any longer. Here's my raw data, such as it is.

I recorded 99 non-crit melee hits with Serenity as WHM/BLM, and used this as a baseline for RDM/BLM (DL I) and RDM/DRK (DL II). Unless I'm spreadsheeting wrong, which is possible at this hour, for DL I and DL II
WHM Baseline : 841.3 (100%)
RDM/BLM DL I : 863.5 (102.6%)
RDM/DRK DL II: 886.7 (105.4%)

I recorded 99 non-crit melee hits with Fettering Blade as COR/BLM, and used this as a baseline for DRK/BLM (DL V).
COR Baseline : 519.2 (100%)
DRK/BLM DL V : 598.7 (115.3%)

I recorded 99 non-cirt melee hits with Atoyac as COR/BLM, and used this as a baseline for RNG/BLM (DL III). I have only collected 51 samples for RNG/BLM for DL III as I can't keep going, but here's what 51 samples says:
COR Baseline : 381.8 (100%)
RNG/BLM DL III: 417.8 (109.4%)

So, tentatively, percentages and possible /1024 if those are what they actually are:

Damage Limit I : +2.6% (27/1024)
Damage Limit II : +5.4% (55/1024)
Damage Limit III: +9.4% (96/1024)
Damage Limit IV : ???
Damage Limit V : +15.3% (157/1024

These aren't what I was expecting, and I only have 99 samples for DL I/II/V, and 51 for DL III, so they could be off. I took great care never to stab a bat when using Atoyac. And now I want to sleep hopefully someone who has the patience that only a machine can have will somehow find it in their heart to collect a much larger sample size for these.
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2018-12-11 11:02:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn FFXI is still going???
By aisukage 2018-12-11 11:05:36
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By Justuas 2018-12-11 11:06:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Conagh said: »
How's xiv?
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2018-12-11 11:08:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Justuas said: »
How's xiv?

I quit that, that game is Boring.

1 mistake = Wipe
Every update = Old gear obsolete enjoy stat vomit.

No effects on gear just more raw strength/mnd et completely unimaginative.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2018-12-11 11:18:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Spathaian said: »

Not forgetting Mandarin at all. Japanese writing system is more complicated.

Japanese use the Chinese characters. Then they added Japanese pronounciations to them. This is why there are always at least 2 pronounciations in Japanase. This is not the case for Mandarin. Often there is only 1 pronunciation for Mandarin.

Furthermore, Japanse developed its own phonetic characters with Hiragana and Katakana. Then they incorporated the Roman characters as well.

So Japanese meshes together 4 different writing systems. This is why Its more complicated than Mandarin. overly complicated really.
 Asura.Blitzjr
user: tripletee
By Asura.Blitzjr 2018-12-11 11:21:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Yet you’re on a FFXI forum....
[+]
By Afania 2018-12-11 12:14:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Often there is only 1 pronunciation for Mandarin.

While not all the character has multiple pronunciation, some still does.

and most Chinese character has multiple meanings. Which makes it somewhat difficult to learn too.

That being said, Mandarin and Japanese grammar are easier to learn than English, IMO.

Shiva.Spathaian said: »

Not forgetting Mandarin at all. Japanese writing system is more complicated.

Japanese use the Chinese characters. Then they added Japanese pronounciations to them. This is why there are always at least 2 pronounciations in Japanase. This is not the case for Mandarin. Often there is only 1 pronunciation for Mandarin.

Furthermore, Japanse developed its own phonetic characters with Hiragana and Katakana. Then they incorporated the Roman characters as well.

So Japanese meshes together 4 different writing systems. This is why Its more complicated than Mandarin. overly complicated really.

Japanese only has 3 sets, Hiragana, Katakana and kanji. Romanji is just there to help foreigners pronunce their words, so I wouldn't count it.

If you know English, then you can understand words written in Katakana. So the JP reading difficulty probably come from Kanji for none Chinese speakers.

However if you know Chinese, then kanji is very easy to understand, because majority of meaning and their alternate meanings are identical in Chinese. If you put a Japanese and Chinese in the same room, they can probably communicate just by writing to each other in their own language, lol.
By Schroe 2018-12-11 12:21:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Is that +232 magic damage on Eletta Rod real?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9