December 2018 Version Update
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-12-11 19:48:02
Link | Quote | Reply

They're making the same mistake that they never learn from.

Make new weapons that no one cares about... then make them stronger than REMA... then fix REMA...
[+]
 Asura.Smoky
user: Aubain
By Asura.Smoky 2018-12-11 20:04:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ambu Knife and Grip are decent.
 Leviathan.Andret
Server: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2018-12-11 20:10:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
y'all and your fascination with MNK. Does everyone just wanna play this game stoned and get shinies???

...I mean, I play stoned, but I at least have the decency to weaponskill now and then.

Of course not. Not everyone is a stone head like you. I prefer to watch Netflix or play Total War Warhammer II and pretend to engage + WS once in a while.
 Asura.Ivlilla
user: cevkiv
By Asura.Ivlilla 2018-12-11 20:24:09
Link | Quote | Reply

As to the whole "amount that strength contributes to damage has been increased" thing this patch, it looks like the Attack:Strength ratio for both H2H and 2H has gone to 4:3, and for 1H it's gone to 1:1.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-12-11 20:42:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Last time (blu was THE job EVERYONE shouted for) I just sudden lunged everything. easy as *** solo the rest of the party could be complete trash. You could completely ignore wave 2 and kill it before endeath mattered.

...now it's got like 30,000,000 hp lol?

No thread for it yet so, meh,

N has 12,000,000 HP so VD probably does have 20+ million lol
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-12-11 20:45:08
Link | Quote | Reply

They're making the same mistake that they never learn from.

Make new weapons that no one cares about... then make them stronger than REMA... then fix REMA...

That's a great design philosophy, as it makes people farm each one, which is what they want you doing.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-12-11 20:48:10
Link | Quote | Reply

It works for other games, but taking away an ffxi players shiney is worse than slapping a baby. The pissing and moaning and crying is relentless.

The delve weapons threads/posts were absolutely hilarious.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-12-11 21:26:44
Link | Quote | Reply

At year 15-16 you'd come to expect this by now, no? They are totally going to botch ambuscade weapon implementation. Don't even second guess what's going to happen here. Either it will be too good or too garbage for the effort. Not even a middle ground like they originally announced. The weapons aren't 242 skill yet so unless they see at least one more update, they aren't anywhere close to what they made it out to seem that they would be (bridge the gap between rema).
So if you're deliberating on what to do with the nuggets and orbs, do nothing. Wait and see. save them until you see that Corsair knife is able to get WSD+10% so you can dual wield them and laugh at the 500m rostam kids.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-12-11 21:29:44
Link | Quote | Reply

They already confirmed that the weapons have no less than 1 more (likely 4 more) upgrades. Have to stretch it until April.
[+]
 Asura.Beatsbytaru
By Asura.Beatsbytaru 2018-12-11 21:32:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
y'all and your fascination with MNK. Does everyone just wanna play this game stoned and get shinies???

...I mean, I play stoned, but I at least have the decency to weaponskill now and then.
Well I mean like, yeah...This game sucks *** if you're sober.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-12-11 21:38:55
Link | Quote | Reply

One more update to put the finishing touches on the accuracy sounds about right. The one hand weapons will be very decent if that is the case. But some of the 2h options might not be worthwhile unless there's some augments to seal the deal. Coming from ambuscade, I can't see these not getting augments. They can keep the pool of options limited to attributes only and it won't be that broken.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By volkom 2018-12-11 22:42:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Siviard said: »
Heghmoh said: »
fonewear said: »
Valefor.Endoq said: »
I want to see MNK be able to spam Asuran Fists at a constant 300 TP return with unupgraded Relic Knuckles again

Eliminate all H2H weapon skills give us more Kick Attacks ! That is the future of monk.

Let's be honest most H2H weapon skills suck so the answer is Kick Attack weapon skills.

I had a day dream last week that they would add a monk specific job trait that just increased punch and kick damage based on current tp. Forget weaponskills, just make monk full auto attack

Leviathan.Andret
Server: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2018-12-11 22:57:15
Link | Quote | Reply

They already confirmed that the weapons have no less than 1 more (likely 4 more) upgrades. Have to stretch it until April.

By that time people will demand for said weapons to be equal to REMA because it would take people just that long to upgrade them.

Then they botch the upgrade and made them OP.

Then the REMA peeps will whine about it.

Then they botch the fix.

More whining that REMA is required for everything.

More upgrades.

Then more complaints.

Then we have another Ultimate weapon.

Then they just add a new "Easy to get!" weapon for the masses and squeeze out the upgrades. Cycle repeats.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2018-12-11 23:28:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Sidra said: »
Anyone have any idea where they are heading with these Ambuscade weapons? I was expecting augments or something this month. Instead, I am just pretty confused with what they are going for here. They just seem boring and uninteresting and nothing to make them stand out versus other starter options.

Working as intended.
[+]
By Afania 2018-12-12 01:35:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Tarowyn said: »
Afania said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Senaki said: »
So it is dificult for both sides to learn the others language since they follow different rules. So while they might both be able to tell "水" (みず) is water, they wouldn't be able to defaultly read sentence structure around it... ish

Well yeah, you also need to know how verbs work to connect the sentence together. But being able to know the meaning of a word without having to learn it allows Chinese speakers understand JP above their current language level.

For example, a sentence like this:
私は水を見る(I see water). 私=Me, 水=water, 見=see. It works that way in both Japanese and Chinese. With understanding in grammar and verb forms, it's possible to understand the meaning of the sentence without having to memorize the word.

So in general, Chinese speakers can read and understand jp above their current JP level because they don't need to memorize the meaning of every new vocabulary that they see.

Now that's say, if a Chinese speaker see the same sentence in English "I see water", they will need to know the meaning of all 3 words in that sentence to know what it means.

Well, except that chinese don't use 私 for I, they use 我.

They use 我 for "I " if aiming for correct grammar. But 私 has a "personal" kind of meaning that it's not impossible to tell it means "I" in the sentence above.

Basically most character has multiple meanings and kanji in JP often has similar meaning as one of them.

Fenrir.Tarowyn said: »
Like I can vaaaageuly get the jist from chinese movies/tv that have subtitles but even then that's because I understand some spoken so I can mesh the two together. And I'm more often wrong than not, lol.

I guess it works as 1 way communication then ._.
Like JP can't read Chinese characters but Chinese speakers can read kanji maybe...
By Afania 2018-12-12 01:38:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
At year 15-16 you'd come to expect this by now, no? They are totally going to botch ambuscade weapon implementation. Don't even second guess what's going to happen here. Either it will be too good or too garbage for the effort. Not even a middle ground like they originally announced. The weapons aren't 242 skill yet so unless they see at least one more update, they aren't anywhere close to what they made it out to seem that they would be (bridge the gap between rema).
So if you're deliberating on what to do with the nuggets and orbs, do nothing. Wait and see. save them until you see that Corsair knife is able to get WSD+10% so you can dual wield them and laugh at the 500m rostam kids.

Haven't check, but Ambuscade dagger should beat rostam as best melee leaden offhand due to higher ws avg and lower delay.

The point of gears in ffxi isn't to have 1 "bis" weapon that trashes everything. You have 1 weapon that's good for certain situation and another weapon good for a different situation. And collect them all!!

Some of the stats in ambuscade weapon already made them using for certain jobs on certain build, don't know why all the QQing....
[+]
 Asura.Akaden
By Asura.Akaden 2018-12-12 09:48:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Haven't check, but Ambuscade dagger should beat rostam as best melee leaden offhand due to higher ws avg and lower delay.
Even considering the occ. atk twice from blurred knife+1? Or compared to something else?
[+]
By fonewear 2018-12-12 09:54:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Andret said: »

By that time people will demand for said weapons to be equal to REMA because it would take people just that long to upgrade them.

Then they botch the upgrade and made them OP.

Then the REMA peeps will whine about it.

Then they botch the fix.

More whining that REMA is required for everything.

More upgrades.

Then more complaints.

Then we have another Ultimate weapon.

Then they just add a new "Easy to get!" weapon for the masses and squeeze out the upgrades. Cycle repeats.

I require a REMA weapon to do Easy Ambu...gear check required !
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-12-12 10:09:51
Link | Quote | Reply

The point of gears in ffxi isn't to have 1 "bis" weapon that trashes everything. You have 1 weapon that's good for certain situation and another weapon good for a different situation. And collect them all!!

Except that isn't what these specific weapons are for. They said it was for newer/returning players. Things like "best...offhand" should never be possible, because then veteran players will just exploit them and get even better and that's not really the purpose of them to begin with. The idea was to bridge the (accuracy/damage) gap between REMA and non-REMA options for newer players and make weapons easier to obtain (Their thoughts not mine). They are supposed to be giving players a newbie cannon that won't lock them out of HL content, but won't make them the top of their field in one short night either.

If they give these weapons augments in the future (my expectations) and they see one more 242 skill update, they would have to make the (1H weapon) augments "Main Hand only" so that they become the best weapons for a newer/returning player, but would leave veteran/experienced players to look elsewhere for their offhand options (Su5, reis weapons, blurred+1, raetic +1, SR etc), since a veteran would more than likely have a REMA he'd be using.
[+]
 Asura.Reichleiu
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2018-12-12 10:38:51
Link | Quote | Reply

The idea was to bridge the (accuracy/damage) gap between REMA and non-REMA options for newer players and make weapons easier to obtain (Their thoughts not mine).

These weapons, even once they are augmented, seem like they are going to do just that. Nothing about them pushes them ahead of REMA options.. and if they are stronger than most non-REMA options, isn't that what was intended? Doesn't that bridge the gap between the two? No one is going to use the sword over Sequence, Almace, or Tizona. None of the two-handers are even close to being BiS for any situation.

Sword / Knife only seem to be lucky COR windfalls. They replace Hep Rapier and/or Rostam (in some situations). Two offhand weapons that you can just buy...

Things like "best...offhand" should never be possible, because then veteran players will just exploit them and get even better and that's not really the purpose of them to begin with.

This is stupid. First of all.. like Afania said, it's the best off-hand in certain situations. Secondly, every BiS mainhand/offhand for COR is easy to obtain - they don't get REMA melee weapons, so nothing they can use is difficult to get. Just grind up JP and buy them (Rostam, Blurred Sword / Knife, Hep Sapara / Rapier). Third, even if "Veterans players will just "exploit them" (whatever that means) and get better", new/returning players can now get them too - which in turn makes them better. That means they won't be gated from content as much as they would have been. Which means that exactly what SE is trying to accomplish is being accomplished..

And right now it's only being accomplished for Corsair.. the rest of the weapons and the jobs that can use them are not really gaining anything. If they do in the future, great – it helps "Bridge the gap between REMA and non-REMA".
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-12-12 10:49:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Except that isn't what these specific weapons are for. They said it was for newer/returning players.
Things like "best...offhand" should never be possible...
...for these weapons

Veteran players don't need them if their goal is to design them for new players. It shouldn't be even BIS for "certain situations" for a veteran player, that's what Dynamis Divergence and the entire line of REMA/All other content items are for.
[+]
By SimonSes 2018-12-12 10:52:13
Link | Quote | Reply

All good Reichleiu, but how is grinding for Rostam easier than grinding for rema? All rema are easy to get and just require time and/or gils, nothing more.
By Taint 2018-12-12 10:57:39
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
All good Reichleiu, but how is grinding for Rostam easier than grinding for rema? All rema are easy to get and just require time and/or gils, nothing more.

Throwing gil at something vs throwing gil and a grind are different.

Going to AH and buying Rostam is very different then making a Death Penalty.
 Asura.Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2018-12-12 11:28:37
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »

Rostam is like 140m on Asura. You can get Master/SU5 in a week. How is that different than needing time/gil to obtain? Mythic and Empy weapons 119 + AG are still much harder / more expensive to get. Aenoic is still out of reach for a lot of the playerbase that doesn't have access to good groups. The only one easier to obtain is a Relic, which you can make 3 of them every 2 months by just spamming Ambuscade and making 50m/month.

Rostam is literally just master COR and throw gil at it. Now.. you could argue that augmenting it makes it difficult, but you can argue that for any REMA weapon as well. The difference? We are talking about off-hand Rostam, which means the augments are not why you're using it in the first place.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-12-12 11:35:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Except that isn't what these specific weapons are for. They said it was for newer/returning players.

They also said Dynamis-D weapons were supposed to be at the same level as REMA. There's...one of them that is?
 Asura.Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2018-12-12 11:43:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's think about it like this - On Asura:

It takes a week and 140-150m to make a Rostam.
It takes months + 231.5-241.5m to make Mythic 119 AG.
It takes months + 152.5-166.5m to make Empy 119 AG.
It takes an actual group to make Aeonic.
It takes about 86.5m to make Relic 119 AG.
It takes farming Ambuscade to make the new weapons.

Rostam is easier to make than the vast majority of useful REMA weapons. The ambuscade weapons only take time farming ambuscade to make.. and they are nothing at this point except sword + knife being offhand options for Leaden Salute.

You could get to Su5 and power level people in e-zitah for a week and make a Rostam.
By Nyarlko 2018-12-12 11:51:13
Link | Quote | Reply

But that actually is not what they said at all. What they said was:
POL said:
So what’s the story behind these Ambuscade arms? With the overall character advancement path taking shape, we’ve been aware that there’s a rather significant hurdle to acquiring weapons with certain parameters, (read this as "magic damage stats") and it’s made some hesitant to take the plunge. We believe these Ambuscade arms will serve to give these players the boost they need.
Bolded above is personal notation.

There is no mention about these being for newer players. If anything could be inferred from this, it might be that they noticed that too many players have gravitated towards melee DD jobs and that there is a sore lack of casters these days. It could also indicate that they felt it was about time to give us a non-random option to things like Malevolence from SR. XD

EDI: Personally, I'm expecting final blanket stats of:
mab+30~40, mdmg+300~400, skill+242, plus something themed for final stage. If these stay R/EX w/ same jobs on them, then probably something simple like Skillchain Bonus on melee/ranged and Magic Burst Damage on caster. I don't expect augments in this case. Ambuscade armor has no augments, so it seems unlikely that these would either. Devs tend to avoid putting Rare+Aug tags together barring JSE/RMEA after all. IF there are augments in this case, then expect single path system like Oboro JSE.

...I've still got the nagging feeling that they may plan on throwing us for a loop and making the final stage drop the Rare tag and change to EX-only JSE (or EX-only with JSE augments,) in which case augments would make sense.
By Boshi 2018-12-12 12:04:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aeonova said: »
Leviathan.Sidra said: »
Anyone have any idea where they are heading with these Ambuscade weapons? I was expecting augments or something this month. Instead, I am just pretty confused with what they are going for here. They just seem boring and uninteresting and nothing to make them stand out versus other starter options.

Working as intended.
really really high mdmg and maccskill.

COR weapons are both good, the dagger is an absolute must-have for CORs.

Bow has macc+30 for RDM, that is useful.

Club has BLU on it, vs nibiru:
int-21 matt-16 for maccskill+16 macc+23 mdmg+108
(mnd-10)

GKT has NIN on it. (gkt is for ageha def-25%)
vs: BeryTachi+1
Dly+57 str-20 acc-22 wsacc-30
Dmg+6 dly350 acc30 att20 macc+30 GKTskill+3 parry+3 maccskill+43
[+]
By Afania 2018-12-12 12:37:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Akaden said: »

Even considering the occ. atk twice from blurred knife+1? Or compared to something else?

Blurred knife doesn't even beat rostam offhand due to the lower ws dmg. Dade posted several spreadsheet screenshot in the job thread pages ago.

If you are multi stepping or fighting fodders which dies in 1 or 2 ws regardless what you use, blurred may win. If you are fighting an nm it probably not in the long run.

Ambuscade daggers delay is really good as an offhand though.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9