First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2012-11-10 13:39:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
I still won't bother farming/buying the thf knife(yep, I never had it and never will!)
Then you're dumb, if you cant afford an 80k weapon to get one extra placebo level of TH, you're only hurting yourself. As minimal as the potential gain is, why would you willingly fight something with an inferior chance at loot (I'm not talking about dynamis farming...)?

either way, theres no point TPing in your TH+ equipment, since the chance of a TH+ proc from standard melee strikes is pretty low. Just equip them for SA/TA since thats where the TH+ procs usually happen.

And, I've posted this on BG, and some of you dont read there, but some delightful insight in SE's hypocricy:
http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/33177/dev-rng-ammo-adjustments/
Post about AF2+2 hat + aug being incredibly powerful with the recycle changes
"We do not want you to be forced into one piece of gear."

Current TH information:
"If you want to maximize TH+ procs, you are forced to offhand a *** garbage dagger, AA+2 and RP+2"
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-11-10 13:40:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
I still won't bother farming/buying the thf knife(yep, I never had it and never will!)
Then you're dumb, if you cant afford an 80k weapon...
She never once said that she couldn't afford it >.>
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2012-11-10 13:45:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Still dumb imo to go pop a Heroes VNM3, a Nidhogg, an Odin v2, or whatever...with inferior TH, even if its a placebo 1%.
By Chyula 2012-11-10 13:47:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope SE introduce a TH sword for thf only, imagine a thf dualwielding thf knife/thf sword bwahahahahahaha.
 Ramuh.Laffter
Server: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-11-10 13:49:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Chyula said: »
I hope SE introduce a TH sword for thf only, imagine a thf dualwielding thf knife/thf sword bwahahahahahaha.
No
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-11-10 13:53:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Still dumb imo to go pop a Heroes VNM3, a Nidhogg, an Odin v2, or whatever...with inferior TH, even if its a placebo 1%.
You're looking at this too seriously I think, but I'll drop it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Cementfoot
Server: Bahamut
user: Drd
By Bahamut.Cementfoot 2012-11-10 17:55:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Shirukenu said: »
Cement, please stop giving out blatantly false information.

In other news, even if my TH degrades a little from the TH8 I put on first, since it gives diminishing returns I'm not going to lose sleep changing over to my stabby gear after.

you can believe what you want but i am telling you how it is and until a dev tells me wrong which wont happen, live in ur little fantasy of ffxi, the numbers all are there just cause u dont want to admit it and look at it in a level headed sense to each is own
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-11-10 17:58:51
Link | Quote | Reply

ITT: A piece of ***knife that increases drop rates by a miniscule, nearly immeasurable amount, that can be made up before a monster dies if you really want that extra +/-1%, is worth an inventory slot and overall loss of efficiency.

Either way it doesn't matter, personally I'd value the inventory slot over having one more free proc of TH, as if I really wanted something I'd just get 9~12 TH either way if I was so inclined. Inventory space is one of FFXI's most valuable resources, and wasting it on a mostly useless knife is squandering. Calling someone dumb over not having it is pretty... well, dumb.
[+]
 Bahamut.Sobius
Server: Bahamut
user: Sobius
By Bahamut.Sobius 2012-11-10 18:17:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I generally don't post here (like to lurk), but I have to say I'm amused by how this discussion is going.

It used to be:

"FFS WHY U TP IN TH GEAR NOOB!?"

Now it's:

"Well, increasing levels of TH doesn't really matter anyway.."

It's so strange that max T.H. seemed to matter a heck of a lot more to the community until this little tidbit came out from the developers. Just sayin'

;)
[+]
By Solrain 2012-11-10 18:29:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Cementfoot said: »
Solrain said: »
If you notice SE goes by a decimal system, so when u u see ur TH land and think its a percentage rate up it isn't example TH 10 is a 1.0 increase on the drop rate idk why ever1 over thinks you give SE way to much credit and rate me down i dont care i've been playing thf for yrs its all a random number game

What?

its not rocket science use the Defender's ring for example Wiki says its a 4.2 percent drop rate you get TH 10 on that drop rate goes to 5.2 percent look at it like your skilling up a craft there system is based on a one-tenth

1) It doesn't work like that. There have been tests showing that TH1 and TH2 make significant differences in drop rates and anything beyond that is marginal.

2) *Defending Ring* drop rate is not effected by Treasure Hunter.

3) You can use the . button for more than just decimals.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-11-10 18:40:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Most things in this game, as we uncover them, we find are done in fractions of 1024, not tenths.
By Kooljack 2012-11-10 18:45:50
Link | Quote | Reply

2) *Defending Ring* drop rate is not effected by Treasure Hunter

I keep hearing this on occasion.. where is the official proof testing for this that gives the xi community the sense that th does nothing for ex items.

I just have a hard time accepting that; but if anyone can point me in the right direction on where this consensus comes from Id be grateful
 Asura.Fondue
Server: Asura
user: Caliber
By Asura.Fondue 2012-11-10 18:47:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Kooljack said: »
2) *Defending Ring* drop rate is not effected by Treasure Hunter

I keep hearing this on occasion.. where is the official proof testing for this that gives the xi community the sense that th does nothing for ex items.

I just have a hard time accepting that; but if anyone can point me in the right direction on where this consensus comes from Id be grateful
its not EX items... dring shares a dropslot with pixie earring
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-11-10 18:52:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Defending Ring shares the same drop slot with Pixie Earring.

Only one or the other can drop, and D ring just happens to be 5%

http://ffxidb.com/zones/127/king-behemoth
By Shirukenu 2012-11-10 19:15:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Shirukenu said: »
Cement, please stop giving out blatantly false information.

In other news, even if my TH degrades a little from the TH8 I put on first, since it gives diminishing returns I'm not going to lose sleep changing over to my stabby gear after.

you can believe what you want but i am telling you how it is and until a dev tells me wrong which wont happen, live in ur little fantasy of ffxi, the numbers all are there just cause u dont want to admit it and look at it in a level headed sense to each is own

Cement, go kill fifty bees with no TH, and fifty bees with base TH
You'll notice you're getting a lot more than 3% more beeswax.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2012-11-10 20:04:22
Link | Quote | Reply

ITT: People will carry an additional piece of gear to augment their parse by maybe 0.1%, or see an extra 1-2 points of damage on their WS's, but carrying a TK isnt worth it for when you wind up fighting something where you'll want and bother with that extra 1% drop rate chance. Thats about as hypocritical as "we dont want to force rangers into AF2+2 hat, enjoy being forced into your TH gear thieves", lol.

Once again, I didnt say routine farming like dynamis, I said stuff like Arch dynamis mobs, Salvage bosses, NQ Kings for HQ pops...
By Voren 2012-11-10 20:45:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe it's already been said, maybe not, but here's something for arguement's sake.

My LS farmed Sobek for several Almaces, and after I proc'd TH8 I switched to TP gear in order to share hate with the NIN so our mage coould stand to the side out of range of the stun spams, insta-death, and other fowl ***Sobek likes to do.

Anywho, I noticed that every so often I'd proc TH9 WITHOUT any TH gear on. No Relic+2, no dagger, no Empy+2 feet. I did this also WITHOUT doing a SA or TA, but it was on a crit (atma Apoc, GH, RR). This happened on a dew occassion, not a constant occurance, but more than 2-3 times.

So the theory about TH lowering may not be completely true, but I'll not disregard it.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-11-10 21:04:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Voren said: »
Maybe it's already been said, maybe not, but here's something for arguement's sake.

My LS farmed Sobek for several Almaces, and after I proc'd TH8 I switched to TP gear in order to share hate with the NIN so our mage coould stand to the side out of range of the stun spams, insta-death, and other fowl ***Sobek likes to do.

Anywho, I noticed that every so often I'd proc TH9 WITHOUT any TH gear on. No Relic+2, no dagger, no Empy+2 feet. I did this also WITHOUT doing a SA or TA, but it was on a crit (atma Apoc, GH, RR). This happened on a dew occassion, not a constant occurance, but more than 2-3 times.

So the theory about TH lowering may not be completely true, but I'll not disregard it.

Are you arguing that because you were able to proc TH9 without any of your TH gear on, after the initial proc with gear on, that it somehow means that having TH gear on while making an attempt to proc the next level does not enhance the rate of an increase?

I don't think you're quite understanding what we mean here.
By Voren 2012-11-10 21:11:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Voren said: »

Are you arguing that because you were able to proc TH9 without any of your TH gear on, after the initial proc with gear on, that it somehow means that having TH gear on while making an attempt to proc the next level does not enhance the rate of an increase?

I don't think you're quite understanding what we mean here.

I wasn't stating exactly that, but rather that I've had an increase in TH, small and infrequent, while not wearing TH gear which contradicts the theory that TH decreases should you remove your TH gear, maybe I misunderstood the theory though. Also I made sure to post that it was in Abyssea, which could be a factor due to the higher crit rates.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-11-10 21:27:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Perhaps I missed it but I don't recall anyone saying that TH actually decreased. At least as far as the Mob's TH level. Your own level would of course decrease to whatever TH trait + gear you have on at the time. But this is very well known as you have to tag each mob with TH gear to get the right level of TH.

The theory is as far as I've understood:

The farther the mob's TH level is from your char's current TH level, the harder it is to upgrade. So if you have TH3 the upgrade to TH4 is going to be easier than the upgrade to TH5. If you have TH8, the upgrade to 9 will be easier than the upgrade to 10,11 or 12.

So in your case, I am not saying that you CAN'T get an increase after you take your gear off, but that the chance for it to happen is significantly lower since your char's TH is so much lower than the mob's TH level.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-11-10 22:25:54
Link | Quote | Reply

ITT: People will carry an additional piece of gear to augment their parse by maybe 0.1%, or see an extra 1-2 points of damage on their WS's, but carrying a TK isnt worth it for when you wind up fighting something where you'll want and bother with that extra 1% drop rate chance. Thats about as hypocritical as "we dont want to force rangers into AF2+2 hat, enjoy being forced into your TH gear thieves", lol.

Once again, I didnt say routine farming like dynamis, I said stuff like Arch dynamis mobs, Salvage bosses, NQ Kings for HQ pops...

Don't carry those either, I keep and carry gear and items that makes a great enough difference on overall performance. I would not carry a Vigilance Mantle +1 and a Zaffre Cape just because Vigilance is superior on some spells in some situations by 1%.

Once again, calling someone dumb over not carrying a Thief's Knife is ridiculous, as it's not a big enough deal to be 100% justifiable in terms of inventory space.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-11-10 22:43:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I see what you're saying, but a THF has exactly one purpose to its existence (making the random number generator more favorable).
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-11-10 22:46:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Not so much about the validity of the effectiveness of an immediate +1 to TH tier from the knife as much as the brute force response, as there is an argument to be made toward its irrelevancy.
By Voren 2012-11-10 22:55:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
The theory is as far as I've understood:

The farther the mob's TH level is from your char's current TH level, the harder it is to upgrade. So if you have TH3 the upgrade to TH4 is going to be easier than the upgrade to TH5. If you have TH8, the upgrade to 9 will be easier than the upgrade to 10,11 or 12.

Ok, my bad, I did misunderstand the theory. Still, it may be harder to proc TH9, 10, 11, etc, but I've not seen a significant enough difference between TH8 and TH10 to justify full time TH gear.

@Valefor.Prothescar:

It's not so much "dumb" as it is why would you not want to proc the highest TH you can as soon as you can? I've got TK, AA+2 and RP+2 for TH set up, proc and switch to DD set. This allows me to get the message of blahblahblah TH8 rather than TH7 prior to switching gear. A dedicated THF should be just that, dedicated.
 Leviathan.Kincard
Server: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-11-10 22:58:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I can see TK being used for stuff where the Thief is pretty much only brought for TH (Legion/Prov) since it's a "might as well" kind of scenario. Though, if you have THF there, you might as well have him doing some damage, and the damage you'd get from replacing that TK will be worth more than that. Meleeing in the armlets and poulaines kinda sucks, but meleeing in TK is just awful because of its D rating.

I've been seriously considering selling my TK just because I pretty much never use the damn thing anymore. I wouldn't enjoy the 100k I'd get from it but I would enjoy freeing up an inventory space. >_>
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-11-10 23:04:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't full time it, unless I was doing something like a behemoth pop but anytime you are building TH I'd at least macro it in for SA, TA and perhaps even WS's. At least anytime TH > DOT then it should be used.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2012-11-10 23:05:08
Link | Quote | Reply

once again, you dont have to melee in AA/RP+2...on HNM's and targets like that, you wont really see any TH+. On Salvage Chariots, TH+ procs outside of SATA dont exist, maybe you'll get to base+1 outside of SA/TA, maybe, or maybe you'll get hit by thunder...theyre both that rare.
 Fenrir.Moldtech
user: Moldtech
By Fenrir.Moldtech 2012-11-10 23:43:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
I see what you're saying, but a THF has exactly one purpose to its existence (making the random number generator more favorable).

This exactly, thf was never meant to be a DD and if a DD is needed, then get a real one...

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Not so much about the validity of the effectiveness of an immediate +1 to TH tier from the knife as much as the brute force response, as there is an argument to be made toward its irrelevancy.

Which makes that argument irrelevant.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2012-11-10 23:49:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Argument to its irrelevance hinges upon you never being disengaged and being a primary DD. Anyone who plays THF and claims they will never own a thief's knife is trying way too hard or just plain stupid.
 Leviathan.Kincard
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-11-10 23:55:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, the argument of its irrelevance hinges upon how much drop rate it actually adds, because there hasn't been any substantial testing of it. Even the mentioned 1% seems very generous, it seems like only a fraction of that.

You don't have to be a primary DD, you just need for the killspeed you get from a halfway decent offhand to offset the loss in drop rate. Offhanding a TK knocks like 20% off a Thief's damage output. Obviously if you're doing nothing but RA-ing stuff to tag TH you'll have the knife on, but if you're contributing to damage in time-intensive events like Legion is that extra TH+ really worth even the hit of losing TP from switching daggers out?

This isn't about "more drop rate is more drop rate". Sure, it is, but if it's an increase such that you need to kill 1000+ of said enemies to get one extra drop, why is it even worth the hassle of lugging the TK around when the extra damage output from a halfway decent dagger pretty much effectively accomplishes the same task?