First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2012-12-18 17:59:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
Wish I could lock/unlock my own topics...

Why? Some people might not have seen this thread initially. It's important information for any THF.
 Ragnarok.Zenogias
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Zenogias 2012-12-18 18:00:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a bit confused by this thread, so I'll just ask a quick question:

If I use a Tarutaru Sash with TH+1 on a first hit, then macro it out and don't use it the rest of the fight, does that TH+1 affect stay on the monster?
 Bismarck.Kelhor
Administrator
Server: Bismarck
user: Rooks
By Bismarck.Kelhor 2012-12-18 18:01:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Short version: Yes.

Long version: Don't think of it as "+1" - TH has a level assigned to it. If you don't have any other TH, then using the sash puts TH1 on the mob. If you're subbing thief, then it's TH3 on the mob, etc.
 Cerberus.Kylos
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2012-12-18 18:11:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Thief has so many things wrong with it. Accomplice is useless most of the time, as is Steal and Mug.
How often does anyone use Steal, Mug, Accomplice, Despoil and Conspirator? I always feel like these moves waste my time when I can be doing damage, and staying alive.

How often do you see THF's farming for gil nowadays? There's nothing to farm anymore, unless your after a certain item for a craft? It's got to the point where Thief Knife is either full-timed, or completely ignored. I wish they made the job more useful, upgrading Thief's Knife scratches the surface of what's wrong with the job.
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-12-18 18:15:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Kelhor said: »
Short version: Yes.

Long version: Don't think of it as "+1" - TH has a level assigned to it. If you don't have any other TH, then using the sash puts TH1 on the mob. If you're subbing thief, then it's TH3 on the mob, etc.

That would be TH+1....Like I understand how you're trying to explain it to the person who asked the question, but you're wording it in a horrible manner lol.
 Bismarck.Kelhor
Administrator
By Bismarck.Kelhor 2012-12-18 18:22:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Eikechi said: »
That would be TH+1....

That's a weird way to say it, though. TH has a static number associated with it. Zenogias has a RDM for an avatar, so let's work from that. If he's /blm and uses the sash, the mob has TH1. If he's /thf, it's TH3. If a real thief comes along and hits it afterwards, nothing he did matters, since that thief has been yelled at by the party leader to use a Thief's Knife, and he'll have at least TH4.

<pedantic>
I just think of "something + 1" in the context of debuffs (which is what Treasure Hunter really is!) as extending the cap, not reflecting a static value.
</pedantic>
 Bismarck.Kelhor
Administrator
By Bismarck.Kelhor 2012-12-18 18:24:10
Link | Quote | Reply

you're wording it in a horrible manner

Not the first time I've been accused of such.
 Bahamut.Feisei
Server: Bahamut
user: feifei
By Bahamut.Feisei 2012-12-18 18:24:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know why this damn thing won't work... but *insert shallow and pedantic family guy reference here*
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-12-18 18:26:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Kelhor said: »
That would be TH+1....

That's a weird way to say it, though. TH has a static number associated with it. Zenogias has a RDM for an avatar, so let's work from that. If he's /blm and uses the sash, the mob has TH1. If he's /thf, it's TH3. If a real thief comes along and hits it afterwards, nothing he did matters, since that thief has been yelled at by the party leader to use a Thief's Knife, and he'll have at least TH4.

<pedantic>
I just think of "something + 1" in the context of debuffs (which is what Treasure Hunter really is!) as extending the cap, not reflecting a static value.
</pedantic>

And rdm/blm has a cap of 0, if the sash is put on, it becomes +1 (thus extending his cap)
 Bismarck.Kelhor
Administrator
By Bismarck.Kelhor 2012-12-18 18:35:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I read +1 as extending the value on the mob right then. So if the THF hits it, TH4, then the TH+1 sash rolls up, it's TH5.

/reads things funny now and then
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2012-12-18 19:06:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, on the Ranger side of things. If I use Bounty Shot naked, it raises the TH level to One, with Emp+1 hands, it's Level Two, and the Emp +2 hands gives level 3. If it successfully lands, it will continue to increase TH Level. I have personally seen it go as high as level 9, just using Bounty Shot. It can also increase the TH level applied by a THF. If a THF gets to level 7, and Bounty Shot sticks, then it will be level 8. All this, of course is long known.

However, what many do not know, is Treasure Hunter trait from a subjob is not factored into the equation. Rng/Thf with +2 hands will only give +3, also if you forget the hands, and are Rng/Thf, you will only get TH level 1 from Bounty Shot.
 Cerberus.Vipan
user: junho
By Cerberus.Vipan 2012-12-21 01:01:32
Link | Quote | Reply

If you knuckleheads stopped using Google Translate and actually learn Japanese you wouldn't mess up the translation and confuse the heck out of everybody about this. This is what it should say: The higher the mobs TH is, the higher YOUR TH needs to be to increase it more. This is why it takes forever to go from 7(or 8 in abyssea) to 12. Once you hit 8, your TH is lower than the mobs so the probability of procing TH goes down. And down at 9 and more down at 10...11.
Yes it means for NM's that drop stuff THF will have to fulltime TH gear to get it to 12. On things like VW, WoE etc, THF can put on full DD stuffs and go to town. It's all situational like almost everything is in this game.
I hope this clears things up for everybody.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-12-21 01:06:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I certainly hope you do realize that people have been discussing the official translation, dipshit.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Shokox
Server: Carbuncle
user: Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2012-12-21 01:43:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Vipan said: »
If you knuckleheads stopped using Google Translate and actually learn Japanese you wouldn't mess up the translation and confuse the heck out of everybody about this. This is what it should say: The higher the mobs TH is, the higher YOUR TH needs to be to increase it more. This is why it takes forever to go from 7(or 8 in abyssea) to 12. Once you hit 8, your TH is lower than the mobs so the probability of procing TH goes down. And down at 9 and more down at 10...11.
Yes it means for NM's that drop stuff THF will have to fulltime TH gear to get it to 12. On things like VW, WoE etc, THF can put on full DD stuffs and go to town. It's all situational like almost everything is in this game.

You are an idiot and should not be posting here.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2012-12-21 01:43:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
However, what many do not know, is Treasure Hunter trait from a subjob is not factored into the equation. Rng/Thf with +2 hands will only give +3, also if you forget the hands, and are Rng/Thf, you will only get TH level 1 from Bounty Shot.
WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT

It is factored into the equation, except you're not wording it properly

RNG base TH = 0 (DUH)
Using Bounty Shot with AF3+1 gloves changes your base TH to 1.
Using Bounty Shot with AF3+2 gloves changes your base TH to 2.

Going /thf changes your base TH to 2 automatically.
 Diabolos.Raelia
Server: Diabolos
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2012-12-21 02:07:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Shokox said: »
True, but at least he has the concept straight...
 Carbuncle.Sanders
user: Sanders
By Carbuncle.Sanders 2012-12-21 02:09:57
Link | Quote | Reply

This community...
[+]
 Carbuncle.Shokox
user: Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2012-12-21 03:01:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Raelia said: »
Carbuncle.Shokox said: »
True, but at least he has the concept straight...

Oh I just mean the Google Translate part. Woop.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2012-12-21 03:34:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT

RNG base TH = 0 (DUH)

Not that I like arguing...scrap that I love arguing, I don't play rng but use bgwiki as my source of info and it has base Bounty Shot TH at 2 and the gloves +1 or +2 increasing it to 3.
[+]
By Aeyela 2012-12-21 03:41:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Vipan said: »

A late contender for 'Post of 2012' emerges.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2013-01-02 04:31:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tidis said: »
Carbuncle.Nynja said: »

RNG base TH = 0 (DUH)

Not that I like arguing...scrap that I love arguing, I don't play rng but use bgwiki as my source of info and it has base Bounty Shot TH at 2 and the gloves +1 or +2 increasing it to 3.
semantics!!!!
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2013-01-02 05:26:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I've always macro'ed in my TH gear for SA and TA for better proc rate and then go back to TP set after, i don't see why people think you have to full time TH gear. . .
[+]
 Asura.Kurriko
Server: Asura
user: chasca
By Asura.Kurriko 2013-01-03 06:33:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Because you can get a TH proc on a regular melee strike, not just SA/TA.

If killspeed is more important (like dynamis) use proper SA/TA/TP/WS hands/feet/dagger. If killspeed isn't important (like king pops) then it wouldn't hurt to fulltime them for TP aswell as SA/TA.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2013-01-03 06:58:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kurriko said: »
Because you can get a TH proc on a regular melee strike, not just SA/TA.
Its pretty rare though :x compared to the proc rate on SA/TA
By Aeyela 2013-01-03 07:08:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Part of playing Thief well is analysing the situation you are in and deciding whether it'd be more prudent to full time TH gear or DPS gear. In Dynamis you won't want to full time TH gear except maybe when fighting something that can drop 100s. You should always be hitting your foe with full TH at the start of combat to instantly apply TH6 (Or TH7 if you use Thief's Knife); from there on, switch into full haste and kill that sucker.

Outside of Dynamis, however, you're far more likely to only be using Thief on something where you're after the added TH. In these situations full timing TH gear is far more logical because that's what you're there for. I like Thief and I love Thief's DPS in Abyssea but if I'm on Thief it is only for TH for beasties that drop items me or my linkshell are currently hunting.

Full timing TH all the time would be like full timing a nuking set all the time on BLM. It's your job's purpose but there are situations where it is not required and should not be used. Dynamis, of course, being the most obvious example.
[+]
 Sylph.Lockepick
Server: Sylph
user: Lockepick
By Sylph.Lockepick 2013-01-03 07:28:32
Link | Quote | Reply

So if I go Rng/Thf with a TH+1 Sash I have a base TH of TH3 (2 form SJ 1 from Equipment). Any Bounty Shot regardless of AF3 Hands has the potential to raise that value to TH4 correct? This would clearly mean that SJ is factored in. Has anyone attempted this?
 Leviathan.Kincard
Server: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-01-03 07:41:34
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as I know, subs and equipment do not matter with Bounty Shot. You don't need to sub THF at all for Bounty shot to be worth TH2. The AF3 gloves make it TH3 (+1/+2 are the same). Tarutaru Sash (And Treasure Hound/Atma of Dread/etc) does nothing for it.

This is for the initial application, though. I'm not sure if /THF and Tarutaru Sash will improve the odds of Bounty Shot upgrading TH for subsequent uses similar to how TH gear ups upgrade rates for THF.