Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2012-11-09 19:41:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Calipso said: »
Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »
Not understanding this with the way he worded it really.

Can someone reword it for me? or break it down?
Quetzalcoatl.Bryangelos said: »
So if not having TH+ on decreases the rate, then having it on would cause it to increase. Yet they say having it on doesn't help as it's a set rate.
Pretty much this

This kinda boggled me a little too.

Also, like usual, their reasoning is just pure silliness. No serious thf wants to full-time th gear, but smart thfs will at least swap it in for a hit or two or for a /ra to make sure th is on the mob. "Hard earned" th gear is still being used regardless. :/

As I read it, TH can only raise 1 TH at a time this is the set rate he refers to.

TH+ gear increases the chance of th increasing per hit, and the initial Treasure Hunter value.

If I've misunderstood I would appreciate some clarification, but that's how I read it.

Although it increases the chances of TH Increasing per hit, if your THF is capped haste while in Full TH gear, then full time TH but there's no information saying if th+1 is worth like 5% chance to increase th per hit, as it depends upon the targets TH? This suggest mobs have an inate TH resistance or, it refers to the th you built on the mob, and that it scales down the higher you build it compared to the difference from your gear.....

So at what point does th+1 become more or less useful than say haste +1% This is the information that is really needed as it would ultimately decide whether full timing TH gear is better than haste for time on mob to build th (Obv per mob TH would be superior as you would deal equal damage total at a slower rate with higher chance to proc TH but in terms of building TH over time?)

All this shows is that when using SA TA etc you're better off using Full TH gear or on Rarer NM's but for farming multiple mobs IE: Dynamis, the information simply leaves more questions.

Glavoid/Chloris or JoL Fulltime TH gear!

Dynamis swap to Haste/TP after TH6/7
 Sylph.Citrelautame
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Citrelautame 2012-11-09 20:07:31
Link | Quote | Reply

this is how i understand this and im using fake numbers/%'s becuase SE will never release the exact workings of this but trying to keep math simple ^^

if mob th=0 and your th=7 then there is (for simple math since we dont know the exact numbers) a 70% chance for TH to proc

if mob th=3 and your th=7 then there is a 40% chance (small chance since a small gap between the mob and your TH)

if mob th=7 and your th=7 then there is a base value chance of 10%

if mob TH=10 and your th=9 then there is a 8% chance

if mob TH=10 and your th=3 then there is a 1% chance (1% being lowest possiable if you have th>0)

fulltiming TH gear means a smaller gap between your TH and the mob even if its TH is higher than yours so a higher % to proc, th gear might only add 1% higher chance to proc but thats enough for SE to say fulltiming TH gear is benificial

thats how i read it and picture it granted the %'s i used arent correct just for simple math

and yes i read it only incease at a set rate meaning only 1 point at a time after characters TH lands
[+]
 Valefor.Angeluzun
Server: Valefor
user: Angeluzun
By Valefor.Angeluzun 2012-11-09 20:33:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Conagh, your post can be described as headache inducing. >_<
[+]
 Bahamut.Khanh
Server: Bahamut
user: Aztrowrek
By Bahamut.Khanh 2012-11-09 20:41:54
Link | Quote | Reply

So... Sad... People are still trying to figure out TH lol.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kalder
user: Kalder
By Cerberus.Kalder 2012-11-09 20:48:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Citrelautame said: »
this is how i understand this and im using fake numbers/%'s becuase SE will never release the exact workings of this but trying to keep math simple ^^

if mob th=0 and your th=7 then there is (for simple math since we dont know the exact numbers) a 70% chance for TH to proc

if mob th=3 and your th=7 then there is a 40% chance (small chance since a small gap between the mob and your TH)

if mob th=7 and your th=7 then there is a base value chance of 10%

if mob TH=10 and your th=9 then there is a 8% chance

if mob TH=10 and your th=3 then there is a 1% chance (1% being lowest possiable if you have th>0)

fulltiming TH gear means a smaller gap between your TH and the mob even if its TH is higher than yours so a higher % to proc, th gear might only add 1% higher chance to proc but thats enough for SE to say fulltiming TH gear is benificial

thats how i read it and picture it granted the %'s i used arent correct just for simple math

and yes i read it only incease at a set rate meaning only 1 point at a time after characters TH lands

Hey I know you were just saying this as an example, and I understand what you're trying to illustrate, but just want to make one correction. If my TH (trait + equipment) is at X, and the Mob's TH is < X, one strike should make it X.... 100%.

So when you say when the player's TH is at 7 (assuming you mean trait + equipment), and the mobs TH is lower, then there shouldn't be a 70% or 40% chance as you stated above.
 Sylph.Citrelautame
By Sylph.Citrelautame 2012-11-09 21:07:51
Link | Quote | Reply

o ya, hmm ure correct idk why i put that lol th has me thinking to hard for the 100000x in the last 8yrs guess my example really only works when mob TH > your TH, now im wondering if mob th isnt calculated till after your attack round ends.. mob th=0, mob is white (no hate) your 1st hit is a triple attack with th 7, does the 2nd and 3rd swings have a higher rate of procing th8 then the next swing? damn you TH your so evil in making me think to hard we all should give up on th and just say... TH helps on drops, put it on, stack it if the mob is imporant and screw that math! lol
By Otomis 2012-11-09 21:12:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Detzu said: »
So we were right fighting mobs with TH gears fulltimed!

I been saying this for years. Keep the TH full time and make up for what ever DPS loss by making the other none essential TH slots as good as you can get.
[+]
 Bismarck.Amphion
Server: Bismarck
user: Amphion
By Bismarck.Amphion 2012-11-09 21:57:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I know this would never happen, but if this is the case then SE should at least make Thief's Knife itself better. Give us some quest that makes it into a +1 version or just increase its damage altogether.

It's silly to use a dagger with 28 damage these days, but since it is so useful we're kind of stuck. Come on SE, just throw us a bone here. I think a Thief's Knife with 35-40 damage would be a good idea for this type of a weapon and wouldn't overpower it in any kind of way.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-11-09 22:05:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Amphion said: »
I know this would never happen, but if this is the case then SE should at least make Thief's Knife itself better. Give us some quest that makes it into a +1 version or just increase its damage altogether.

It's silly to use a dagger with 28 damage these days, but since it is so useful we're kind of stuck. Come on SE, just throw us a bone here. I think a Thief's Knife with 35-40 damage would be a good idea for this type of a weapon and wouldn't overpower it in any kind of way.

Your request is too logical, shush!
 Sylph.Ncspade
user: ncspade
By Sylph.Ncspade 2012-11-09 22:05:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Why doesnt SE cut the ***, and instead of explaing the best way to level up TH on a mob, explain wtf TH actually does. I can't count the number of times Ive gotten single drops on coins in dyna, from a mob that was staggered and that I attacked using full TH gear, just to be followed up with another mob in the exact same scenario, that dropped 4 coins. Same goes with other NMs and anything else in the game. I killed about 6 behemoths in a row, all with TH 12 or better, and didnt get a single Savory Shank. After that, i said screw TH, and taking my time trying to level it up, so the next 4 behemoths that we killed, we zerged from the beginning, and they all only had TH 7 or 8, and out of that 4 we got 2 Savory Shanks. I know that everything in this game is all basically a numbers game, and you will eventually get what you are after, but I just want to see some actual proof, that TH 9,10,11 etc is any better than TH 2. Any thief in the game will tell you, and be able to prove that we can farm more coins in dyna using full haste an no TH knife, versus full timing all TH gear. And its not by a small amount either, I'm talking 50-100 coins more per run soloing dyna, and its strictly because of kill speed. With the proc system in place, you are gauranteed at least 1 coin from every mob you stagger, and the rest is supposedly TH based. I have seen absolutely no benefit to TH in dyna, considering a PUP or DNC can farm the same amount of coins as a THF using full TH gear.... What a joke.........
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2012-11-09 22:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Not big on the concept of math and statistics, are you.

Let me guess, republican?
[+]
 Fenrir.Elliott
Server: Fenrir
user: Elliott
By Fenrir.Elliott 2012-11-09 22:23:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »

Pretty pathetic jab, I must say.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-11-09 22:33:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Amphion said: »

Oh, what a travesty!
I have to choose between optimizing damage and (insert other objective here)!
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2012-11-09 23:23:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »

<-- Republican with a statistics degree.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aanalaty
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aanalaty
By Lakshmi.Aanalaty 2012-11-09 23:24:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Siggymund said: »
By removing you TH gear you are technically cheating the system. Thf is ment to keep on the TH gear, the TH proc system wasn't thought through very well. Just like all of the other stuff the randomly implement in the game. If it is to good to be true they will nerf/correct it in time.

For Aanalaty why would you put all your eggs in one basket, haha for you.

If making the best DD weapons in the game for a job is putting all your eggs in one basket, then im a 1 basket kinda person I spose.

If it makes you feel any better I have my TK and use it for initial TH procs all the time for NMs and such. I also have my (though rarely used) eva magian and a slew of other situational things from Mkris to TP bonus magian for AE spam and more.

But when i want something dedded, its Mandau99/Twash99.

SE is smoking some grade A gewd stuff if they think im going to regularly fulltime TK because it gives some miniscule bump to the chance to raise TH over a D55/Del 176/Dex20 offhand (or one of my other situational daggers given the right situation).

Maybe if they added events where TH made a lick of difference, or could show any statistically relevant amount of bonus by going through all the effort to pump up TH past 10 on any regular basis, or made much of a reason to bring thf to anything besides lolDynamis farming in the days of Fana/PD/2hander Pdif rape/haste cap/ Xhit build/stunlock or die zerg fests they call endgame. But that would be asking for far to much for the feeble abilities of a skeleton dev team trying to salvage the remains of the spaghetti code monster they created a decade ago.

Ill just go back to zerging on drg for every single solitary event in the game i guess and make some random gimp thf fulltime the TH gear for the legion items that never drop anyway.
[+]
 Asura.Ollorin
Server: Asura
user: Ollorin
By Asura.Ollorin 2012-11-09 23:24:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Yeah, there were a lot of those around just before the election. I think most of them have lost their jobs though...
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2012-11-09 23:33:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ollorin said: »
Quote:

Yeah, there were a lot of those around just before the election. I think most of them have lost their jobs though...

Touché. Remind me to never work in politics.

Back on topic, though, I echo what people have been saying for years. Let us friggin' enhance our TH knives somehow.
[+]
 Odin.Rengeki
Server: Odin
user: Rengeki
By Odin.Rengeki 2012-11-10 00:22:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Otomis said: »

I been saying this for years. Keep the TH full time and make up for what ever DPS loss by making the other none essential TH slots as good as you can get.

Depends on what you're doing. If you're farming dynamis then just slap TH gear on for a few seconds and then have tp gear equip, the mob is going to die before TH will proc again anyway, almost assuredly, this is assuming that you're not in full pink and/or using thief knife though.

I'll probably fulltime TH gear on Fafnir pops now which is pretty much what I did before anyway. My DPS will be irrelevant since I'm single-wielding thief knife for procs.

Abyssea? I guess you could fulltime TH gear. I'd rather just slap it on, get colored proc and call it a day though.

We don't get brought to VW anyway unless it's Provenance Watcher and even then, we're only brought for TH.

I guess it'll be fulltimed for Legion.

Really, as long as an NM has TH7 on it, I don't really care.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-11-10 03:45:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I still won't bother farming/buying the thf knife(yep, I never had it and never will!)
 Carbuncle.Pwnzone
Server: Carbuncle
user: Pwnzone
By Carbuncle.Pwnzone 2012-11-10 05:56:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Gil toss. Drop rate increased proportional to how much gil you throw at the enemy

Rangers utilize this all the time. Its called bounty shot except the more gil they toss at it, the faster they get to see the crappy drops from the low th.
 Valefor.Sapphire
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2012-11-10 07:04:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Otomis said: »

Going to disagree with you on this if you are gimping your damage main/offhanding a THF knife in dynamis. Getting my duo partner to drop their TH knife and use real damage dagger instead made more of a difference for our currency yield than that extra point of TH from the knife ever could.

Now my gimplet abyssea THF mule fulltimes TH gear, but I only care if they get the initial TH proc level increase because i've seen a noticable difference when they don't get that 1st TH levelup proc. Holding out for them to stack TH to 10, 11 etc hasnt ever really 'delivered the goods' so I think it slides into diminishing returns around TH 10 imo.
[+]
 Bahamut.Cementfoot
user: Drd
By Bahamut.Cementfoot 2012-11-10 07:34:20
Link | Quote | Reply

If you notice SE goes by a decimal system, so when u u see ur TH land and think its a percentage rate up it isn't example TH 10 is a 1.0 increase on the drop rate idk why ever1 over thinks you give SE way to much credit and rate me down i dont care i've been playing thf for yrs its all a random number game
[+]
 Shiva.Cybermario
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Cybermario 2012-11-10 09:24:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mcclane said: »
I hope they come out with another TH+ dagger. That way I'll be expected by people to never use my 99 Mandau.
why? just add trials to improve TK damage and im sold. no need to make the dagger even more obsolete by making a new one.
By Solrain 2012-11-10 09:37:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Cementfoot said: »
If you notice SE goes by a decimal system, so when u u see ur TH land and think its a percentage rate up it isn't example TH 10 is a 1.0 increase on the drop rate idk why ever1 over thinks you give SE way to much credit and rate me down i dont care i've been playing thf for yrs its all a random number game

What?
[+]
 Bahamut.Cementfoot
user: Drd
By Bahamut.Cementfoot 2012-11-10 09:48:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Solrain said: »
Bahamut.Cementfoot said: »

What?

its not rocket science use the Defender's ring for example Wiki says its a 4.2 percent drop rate you get TH 10 on that drop rate goes to 5.2 percent look at it like your skilling up a craft there system is based on a one-tenth
 Hades.Tripster
Server: Hades
user: Lisamarie
By Hades.Tripster 2012-11-10 10:05:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, reading this means I'll probably SA/TA in TH gear, since that's the only reliable way of forcing TH to go up. Guess my rogue's armlets +1 will meet its end on Porter Moogle.
 Cerberus.Conagh
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2012-11-10 10:20:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Angeluzun said: »
Conagh, your post can be described as headache inducing. >_<

It gave me a head trying to understand what I posted let alone what the Dev team posted.............

In a nutshell, the info they gave is pretty useless, unless you are just trying to get a much th on a mob as possible without killing it (lower DPS but more TH!) My Question was this:

If I lower my dps and just go to Build TH on a mob, I'd unequip all my gear and just full time haste / th armor and remove and multistrike. >.> SE says! it pays to be a gimp?????
 Asura.Zizek
Server: Asura
user: zizek
By Asura.Zizek 2012-11-10 11:05:58
Link | Quote | Reply

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
By Shirukenu 2012-11-10 11:25:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Cement, please stop giving out blatantly false information.

In other news, even if my TH degrades a little from the TH8 I put on first, since it gives diminishing returns I'm not going to lose sleep changing over to my stabby gear after.
[+]
 Cerberus.Sephrin
user: xSephrinx
By Cerberus.Sephrin 2012-11-10 12:43:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Tripster said: »
Wow, reading this means I'll probably SA/TA in TH gear, since that's the only reliable way of forcing TH to go up. Guess my rogue's armlets +1 will meet its end on Porter Moogle.

Pretty much this. This seems to be the only worthwhile reason to put on TH+ gear when fighting.

So basically, TH+ gear doesn't raise your chance of TH level increase but just makes it so it "works as intended". An increase to me would mean that it's higher than the norm. It's an increase over not having any TH gear at all.

I bet it's something miniscule like 1%!