First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2013-04-14 12:22:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Odin.Godofgods said: »
would a tzustes / Aluh Jambiya combo work well?
basically as good as you can do with strictly AH daggers, but STR Thokcha still beats both in either hand with the sets I've plugging into mot's THF2 sheet

They do have one advantage over str thokcha tho. You can buy these for like 600k and be done with it until you get to work on something better. Instead of a ton of trials and 3+ mill on geodes. Sometimes simplicity is appealing.
 Sylph.Shadida
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Shadida 2013-04-18 14:33:49
Link | Quote | Reply

So I just came back to FFXI about three weeks ago after being gone since September 2010 (which was right after the 2nd Abyssea expansion release). When I got back people looked at my THF like it was a time capsule! Here's my progress on gear over the past few weeks - been doing a lot of duo NMs in Abyssea to catch up on +1 and +2 along with some other goodies.

TP Gear Sets:

2010: ItemSet 143325
Current: ItemSet 295183

SA/SA+WS Sets:

2010: Didn't have saved
Current: ItemSet 295187

TA/TA+WS Sets:

2010: Didn't have saved
Current: ItemSet 295189

Evasion Sets:

2010: ItemSet 149551
Current: ItemSet 295184

Currently in progress: Working on creating a STR Thokcha... I'm just 2 NMs away from having Shinryu access, so the Twilight Belt is on its way soon hopefully... also, I do have Seekers of Adoulin, so this weekend I'll spend some time farming bayld for Thurandaut gear.

Aside from those things, if you were in my shoes, then what would you go for first if you were on a budget and didn't have very much access to VW yet? I think I've got most of the affordable AH stuff unless there are some things I'm missing, so let me know!
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-04-18 14:40:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Eponas Ring. Twilight Belt. Raiders head. Thurandant Head Body and Hands.

Also full on evasion sets ain't really needed anymore. I use a hybrid evasion/haste set, but only in those emergency situations. Nowadays if you having to go as far to put in evasion gear, you should have a mage behind you. Evasion sets were only really good in old school dynamis.

My current TP and Evis sets:

ItemSet 296841

ItemSet 296793

In my evasion/haste setup, off by memory, it is similar to my tp setup except I use Ocelomeh head, Evasion torque, evasion earring, boxers mantle, AGI rings and Ballerines (Easy to get feet in Abyssea, but Homam feet will work too.)
[+]
 Sylph.Shadida
By Sylph.Shadida 2013-04-18 14:44:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I've got Raider's Head +1 but not +2 yet. Once I +2 it I'll switch. Also, I've been using Exenterator, which is 4/5 presently and getting really good - what should the priorities be for stacking stats on it? AGI > Atk > STR > DEX?

Also I got a Soil Gorget, but I've been reading in places that Gorget's not really that great for Evisc anymore, can anyone confirm or deny?
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-04-18 14:46:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Shadida said: »
I've got Raider's Head +1 but not +2 yet. Once I +2 it I'll switch. Also, I've been using Exenterator, which is 4/5 presently and getting really good - what should the priorities be for stacking stats on it? AGI > Atk > STR > DEX?

It really depends where you are. In abyssea you are likely to have Voracious Violet, so STR becomes less important. Outside, you should be using typical STR and AGI pieces (Thurandaut Tabard is a good example) along with some of your Trick Attack gear. There are threads dedicated to Exenterator, I wish I could use it on my THF, but I have merits tied up in other weapon skills, so I do not have a set.

Edit: I like to use Soil Gorget for Evisceration. My THF is a little bit behind though compared to some, as it is not my main job, so it should be a good marker for you to aim for.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-04-18 14:49:49
Link | Quote | Reply

AGI > attack > STR > DEX if you're using SA.

And the only time I ever used VV on THF was before I had RR/GH/Apoc. No idea why you'd be using VV.
[+]
 Sylph.Malizia
user: Malizia
By Sylph.Malizia 2013-04-18 14:52:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Shadida,

I'm not going to cross-check very closely with my guide sets, but here's what comes to mind:

* Your evasion set looks fine, you can leave that alone and work elsewhere.
* Get 5/5 Exenterator if you don't have it, and build an Exenterator set.
* Get that Thurandaut gear! Those pieces are great all around, and will especially help with your Exenterator set. The body should be your first priority as you can use it for TP, TA, and Exenterator.
* Get a Jupiter's Ring for free from a quest in Abyssea-Attohwa.

Welcome back!

Edit: yes, for Exenterator, that order works fine. You really want both AGI and attack for solo WS's, and I have no idea for stacking it with SA / TA because I haven't poked around with a spreadsheet for those.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-04-18 14:53:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said: »
AGI > attack > STR > DEX if you're using SA.

And the only time I ever used VV on THF was before I had RR/GH/Apoc. No idea why you'd be using VV.

Back when I played THF to death in abyssea I would choose between VV GH or SS depending on what I was fighting. The extra tp gain for things like Ironclad in Vunkerl would help me to solo better, as I could kite, get some TP, cure myself, then keep fighting. If I was fighting regular stuff then GH without a doubt, the crits are amazing.
 Bahamut.Bekisa
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Bekisa 2013-04-18 14:57:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Can't say I have ever used VV on THF, or any other job for that matter. The TP regen is so small it's rarely noticable, and if you need a STR atma you are better of going with Stout Arm.

My THF atmas have always been either: RR GH SS, or RR GH Apoc depending on if I wanted HP+crit, or Apoc.
 Ragnarok.Haorhu
Server: Ragnarok
user: haorhu
By Ragnarok.Haorhu 2013-04-18 14:57:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Chronosphere said: »
Not only that, but you'd be using Evisceration in Abyssea and not Exenterator.

Buy a Rancor Collar (I'm sure you've heard this before) It's only 150k on your server so it's an easy pickup for TP/WS

edit:
Also I got a Soil Gorget, but I've been reading in places that Gorget's not really that great for Evisc anymore, can anyone confirm or deny?

also right it'll be Rancor/Justiciar's/Nefarious for Evis (Love might find a place, but I always get Nefarious/Justiciar's ahead when paired with Rancorous Mantle)

STOP with rancor collar ITS USELESS FOR THF ABSOLUTELY shame on you

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-04-18 14:59:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Bekisa said: »
Can't say I have ever used VV on THF, or any other job for that matter. The TP regen is so small it's rarely noticable, and if you need a STR atma you are better of going with Stout Arm.

My THF atmas have always been either: RR GH SS, or RR GH Apoc depending on if I wanted HP+crit, or Apoc.

RR VV Apoc, or RR VV GH were some of my favourite combinations in Abyssea. This isn't really about Abyssea though, it is about THF gear advice. Those combinations worked well enough for me.
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-04-18 14:59:36
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not useless for THF, but I'd never tank with it on, which is what my THF's role in Abyssea was.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-04-18 15:01:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Haorhu said: »

Buy a Rancor Collar (I'm sure you've heard this before) It's only 150k on your server so it's an easy pickup for TP/WS

edit:

also right it'll be Rancor/Justiciar's/Nefarious for Evis (Love might find a place, but I always get Nefarious/Justiciar's ahead when paired with Rancorous Mantle)

even in abby, 5% crit rate is never useless. sometimes outclassed, but never useless.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-04-18 15:02:03
Link | Quote | Reply

That is what I am referring too :) I would never use VV while tanking when I had GH, but near the end of my farming, and after trying out many different combinations, I loved RR/VV/GH.

Edit: Rancor Collar is great inside Abyssea, but anywhere else it tends to fall behind the likes of Love Torque.
 Sylph.Shadida
By Sylph.Shadida 2013-04-18 15:05:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow thanks for all the quick responses guys!

I don't have RR/GH/Apoc yet, so right now I'm rolling with VV/Dark Depths/(insert Atma here since I finally got my 3rd Lunar) :/ If I'm soloing or duoing something I'll use Mounted Champion for the Regen, or Vicissitude for the MDB, or just roll with Dread for the extra TH. Totally forgot about Stout Arm, I do have that one too, should probably use that in the third slot til I can do better.

Haorhu can you elaborate on the Collar?
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-04-18 15:07:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Get Razed Ruins immediately. It'll be the best thing you ever do.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-04-18 15:10:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Get Razed Ruins immediately. It'll be the best thing you ever do.

One of the first things I say to anyone, get Razed Ruins, it will change your life.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Sylph.Shadida
By Sylph.Shadida 2013-04-18 15:18:14
Link | Quote | Reply

LS folks dragging on RR NM since no one's got KI's for it... buncha losers right? XD Just kidding, they've been super helpful.

Evasion is capped yep, I have 1 AGI/evasion Kila in progress from before I quit that I'm planning to finish up soon. Also I had no idea about that Alcide's Harness! I have Bonecraft 100, Leather 60 and Synergy 70 so I know what I'm doing when I check the AH next time! Thanks for the tip.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-04-18 15:22:09
Link | Quote | Reply

LS folks dragging on RR NM since no one's got KI's for it... buncha losers right?

Evasion is capped yep, I have 1 AGI/evasion Kila in progress from before I quit that I'm planning to finish up soon. Also I had no idea about that Alcide's Harness! I have Bonecraft 100, Leather 60 and Synergy 70 so I know what I'm doing when I check the AH next time! Thanks for the tip.

Never expect a linkshell to go out and do that. Do a yell, get some folks together, then someone in your LS may be more inclined to tag along. Farming the key items takes little time as you only have to red proc two nms.

Get a Warrior and a Ninja, that will cover your red procs.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-04-18 15:23:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
Bahamut.Bekisa said: »

There's another reason for THF to use VV, besides the +str and minute regain buffs it has. Double Attack procs fairly often from it. Either VV/RR/Apoc, VV/GH/Apoc, VV/SS/Apoc (Apoc always in third atma slot assuming you're tanking or soloing or for those "oh ***" times, outside of tanking/soloing Apoc can and should be switched with something else.) is a beastly atma set-up for THF/DNC. Of course, if subbing NIN, can swap VV for something else since the TP gained from DA won't amount to much in survival.

@ Shadida: I'm going to assume you have evasion capped, m'yes? Make 2x Evasion/Agi Thokchas (I just know I'll probably be laughed at for suggesting that) and keep boxer's mantle on for evasion skill+, you'll possibly find you won't need all that other evasion gear after that, could go with haste or TH gears then and still survive. I should know, made 2 myself. Aside from a very rare occasion that calls for insane evasion rating, I normally do fine swapping Thief's knife out for second evasion Thokcha.
Also consider swapping Scorp. Harness +1 for Alcide's harness +1, subtle blow is not to be underestimated for THF and the switch only results in 1 less point of evasion from gear. Of course, keep scorp. harness +1 for your other jobs that can't use Alcide's.

I made an AGI thokcha and never use it. Make a STR Thokcha and pair it with Aluh Jambiya. Get an Oynos Knife for Haste, and you are set. AGI dagger is not useful, it would have been excellent back in the day, but not anymore. Also Antares Harness is a better evasion piece, but seriously, you won't want to lose the haste from that slot from Thurandant or Raiders. Having haste to get your waltzes back is essential even in an evasion setup.
 Sylph.Shadida
By Sylph.Shadida 2013-04-18 15:26:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm in love with Oynos Knife, what a great thing to cast Haste on yourself solo!
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-04-18 15:27:33
Link | Quote | Reply

AGI Thokcha has its uses, and may find itself more useful with Aldoiun. That said, with a single AGI Thokcha (Kila at the time), at Lv90, a THF had capped evasion on most enemies.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-04-18 15:33:34
Link | Quote | Reply

AGI Thokcha has its uses, and may find itself more useful with Aldoiun. That said, with a single AGI Thokcha (Kila at the time), at Lv90, a THF had capped evasion on most enemies.

Yea I was soloing Chapuli on THF the other day, and found I absolutely needed to be on my evasion setup and was still being hit. It is rough in the new content for everyone though, and I don't think Shadida would be better off focusing on an AGI dagger when they can get a STR Thokcha and other gear.

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-04-18 15:51:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
@ Kylos: Just because you personally haven't found it useful, doesn't mean others have found it to be otherwise. I use mine for THF/NIN blink-tanking with capped haste in all other slots. Not to mention the edit SE did a while back that makes agi directly affect subtle blow trait (which NIN and DNC both have). As for not dual-wielding +str thokchas, swapping one for Aluh... I'm not even going to go in-depth into how uninformed about the mechanics of delay for dual-wield jobs you are, but lower delay on both hands means faster attacks, even with capped haste from gear.
Don't get me wrong, Aluh's a good choice for the other jobs that can use it, but just not for THF, DNC and BRD.

Aluh Jambiya is a great start for any THF. I used Jambiya/Thokcha combination for quite a while, and I posted my sets, and people approved of it. I have never seen anyone actually say Aluh Jambiya is useless for a THF??? That is pretty crazy, considering that it still sells pretty well, and I have seen tons of THFs use Jambiya, while I see absolutely nobody using an AGI thokcha.

I ain't even going to bother arguing the points, because you are grossly misinformed, and I would love for anybody to actually prove to me otherwise. Unless you are a THF with Mandau and Coruscanti, Jambiya is up there as a good choice, especially inside Abyssea due to the Increase Crit Hit damage. (Making two STR Thokcha can be too expensive for someone who is just returning to the game and is short on gil. An Aluh Jambiya is pretty much the same as a STR Thokcha in Abyssea)

Remember this is to help a returning THF to the game. I am not a career THF, if I took the job that seriously I probably would have two AGI thokcha by now, but when I would actually use them is pretty rare unless I am in an area like Seekers where mob accuracy is high.
 Ragnarok.Haorhu
Server: Ragnarok
user: haorhu
By Ragnarok.Haorhu 2013-04-18 15:52:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Ragnarok.Haorhu said: »

edit:

i have coruscanti subligar hecatomb athos body so i dont need critical and just enjoy rudra storm in adoulin cause we are not capped crits on mobs and in abyysea atma cap your crit ... so useless again

even in abby, 5% crit rate is never useless. sometimes outclassed, but never useless.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9