Temper Fail....

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » Temper fail....
Temper fail....
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Asura.Xenophire
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Xenophire
By Asura.Xenophire 2011-08-23 23:07:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like I'm making Almace next.

"Hey guys, mind if I melee?"
 Shiva.Moogleking
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Moogleking 2011-08-23 23:09:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Temper will be used for fun against easy or decent mobs. Rdm wont deal big dmg unless they have relic or emp and the best gear. I look forward to using temper. Will be situational but fun to use
By Pooman 2011-08-23 23:11:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Mekaider said: »

And to the whole LOLrdmmelee. Out of curiousity i geared my rdm with twilight/joyeuse, RR/GH/Apoc, and went and played in an aby party. Lemme tell ya, i was out dding all the pink/white people off DoT and enspells alone. Not counting 1.5-3k eviscerations. Go hate somewhere else.

I'd say that's more because the majority of those "pink/white people" in an exp party are extremely gimped. And really, you'd be surprised at how much people in exp groups have very limited atma.
 Ragnarok.Gunit
Server: Ragnarok
user: Gunit
By Ragnarok.Gunit 2011-08-23 23:13:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm more pissed about SE said they were reverting us back to enhancing/debuffing and the af3 clearly reflects this then they went and gave addle to WHM.

We also won't get cure V. It sucks inside, but only inside. Outside there is absolutely no issue with a rdm healer at all. Cure V is heavily based on MND, something which we have an abundance of and also because of the emnity difference between I-IV and V they just won't give it to us. WHM would *** too much.

And to the whole LOLrdmmelee. Out of curiousity i geared my rdm with twilight/joyeuse, RR/GH/Apoc, and went and played in an aby party. Lemme tell ya, i was out dding all the pink/white people off DoT and enspells alone. Not counting 1.5-3k eviscerations. Go hate somewhere else.
I can cure better then a whm that sucks and is gimp as *** on my pld, But it doesn't make pld good at curing.
 Asura.Mekaider
user: Jynxy
By Asura.Mekaider 2011-08-23 23:13:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Pooman said: »

I'd say that's more because the majority of those "pink/white people" in an exp party are extremely gimped. And really, you'd be surprised at how much people in exp groups have very limited atma.

That's kinda my point. People rag on about how we're not really intended to be sufficient melee players yet we're beating the so called "next generation". There's far worse out there than RDM DD.
[+]
 Asura.Kaisuko
user: Kaisuko
By Asura.Kaisuko 2011-08-23 23:24:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Naokoyume said: »
Asura.Kaisuko said: »
Sorry I don't have a line up of ready to use mages at my service...
To be fair though, I was mainly referring to how people act in general. I personally don't use RDMs.
If you've never seen a RDM complain about having to buff others though, then bravo to you.

I didn't intend to be offensive (in fact, I was mostly agreeing with you), I just don't think it's that common to have good players be that completely stupid about their job. Sure, it's overly common in pickups and terrible linkshells, but do you really partake in that? I don't very often. I'm sorry, but if I had a healer who didn't haste, I wouldn't be keeping them. But then, I'd probably be the one on that job in the first place.

Haste is just not a hard spell to cast, it's really not. Especially when it lasts nearly twice as long with esto+2 set and cape. That's all.

Anyway, apologies for getting a bit off topic. With how long our buffs last, I would have loved to have something to add to the cycle... Wishful thinking, eh? Oh well.

I wasn't taking offense, was just trying to say that sometimes it can't be helped. Which applies to SO much. Honestly there's probably a 1:10 good/bad ratio of players, if not less. And when you deal more with pick-ups than an actual linkshell (even then it can still be bad) you tend to notice it more.
By Cathaldus 2011-08-24 05:31:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
The difference between rdm melee and blu melee has quite a bit more to do with gear availability than with skill level. Just take a quick look at an optimal CDC build between rdm, blu and pld.

Also, unless you /blu or have an Almace you have no decent ws.

Just as a random note, apparently SE are modifying Weapon Skills available, so it'd just be gear that's a problem after that. Simplest method is to stop putting only BLU on the gear they both used to be able to use.

It won't help help put RDM in the front-lines but it will help when they're doing stuff by themselves like trials and such.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-08-24 05:46:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Inb4 overwrites enspells
[+]
By Cathaldus 2011-08-24 05:48:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said: »
Inb4 overwrites enspells
Yeah, they said they were adding Enspells tier III this update but they wouldn't be the usual style, so no doubt about it.
 Asura.Ina
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2011-08-24 05:53:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Cathaldus said: »
Inb4 overwrites enspells
Yeah, they said they were adding Enspells tier III this update but they wouldn't be the usual style, so no doubt about it.
Maybe they will be ally target instead of self target this time? That's really the only way I can think of them being a new style.
By Lillica 2011-08-24 06:09:04
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-08-24 06:16:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ina said: »
Inb4 overwrites enspells
Maybe they will be ally target instead of self target this time? That's really the only way I can think of them being a new style.

I think he ment "Enspell III" = Temper, which I can agree on beeing very possible lol
By Cathaldus 2011-08-24 06:58:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ina said: »
Inb4 overwrites enspells

I think he ment "Enspell III" = Temper, which I can agree on beeing very possible lol

Yeah, this is what I mean.

Despite it being possible to have this and enspells active no doubt SE will make it so only one can be active.
By Bimbam 2011-08-24 07:24:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
And to the whole LOLrdmmelee. Out of curiosity I geared my rdm with twilight/joyeuse, RR/GH/Apoc, and went and played in an aby party. Lemme tell ya, I was out dding all the pink/white people off DoT and enspells alone. Not counting 1.5-3k eviscerations. Go hate somewhere else.

Except this works on Bard, or even Hexa strike on WHM.

It is still 'lolrdmmelee' by comparison to yourself only. Put those same Atmas on every other Job with a Crit based WS and you will still beat the 80% or so of people who seem to not realise that Razed Ruins rapes every single piece of gear they may be working towards (seriously, priorities peoples), and are riding accuracy floor thanks to gimped skills.

The point is, go see how much easier it is to hit haste cap with decent atk gear and better melee oriented JA on virtually every other job and then say that we have not been given the shaft for a job that is apparently considered by SE to be 'front line'.

How can SE fix this in tune with our Job description? either a trait that allows us to auto-attack while casting spells, or a low timer JA that allows us to insta-cast spells. Add to this an AF3 Weapon (hope they are considering these) with shiton of MAB and multi-hit. Said trait could affect cast time of spells if you like, so tiers of the trait increase speed of cast similar to Dual Wields affect on weapon delay (thus subbing rdm would provide some benefit to other jobs but at a delayed casting speed, whereas natively RDM could exceed natural casting speed at higher tiers).

The only problem is, they consider DRK to be the Melee/Elemental hybrid (which makes shitall sense considering the piss poor elemental spells they have access to) and this would step on their toes (but in reality wouldn't because no DRK uses nukes).

SO, Squeenix, do the above for RDM. Remove all elemental magic from DRK. While your at it, replace with dark based nukes in line with Banish series. Make them cast at blue mage physical speed or close to it so as to remove the useless waste of time factor too.
Thus, both jobs stand out as unique and more akin to how you supposedly see them and more fun to play for us. ^^

As for OP, meh. I quite like lolrdmmelee, more fun than haste rotations.
By Cathaldus 2011-08-24 07:31:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bimbam said: »
Quote:
And to the whole LOLrdmmelee. Out of curiosity I geared my rdm with twilight/joyeuse, RR/GH/Apoc, and went and played in an aby party. Lemme tell ya, I was out dding all the pink/white people off DoT and enspells alone. Not counting 1.5-3k eviscerations. Go hate somewhere else.

Except this works on Bard, or even Hexa strike on WHM.

It is still 'lolrdmmelee' by comparison to yourself only. Put those same Atmas on every other Job with a Crit based WS and you will still beat the 80% or so of people who seem to not realise that Razed Ruins rapes every single piece of gear they may be working towards (seriously, priorities peoples), and are riding accuracy floor thanks to gimped skills.

The point is, go see how much easier it is to hit haste cap with decent atk gear and better melee oriented JA on virtually every other job and then say that we have not been given the shaft for a job that is apparently considered by SE to be 'front line'.

How can SE fix this in tune with our Job description? either a trait that allows us to auto-attack while casting spells, or a low timer JA that allows us to insta-cast spells. Add to this an AF3 Weapon (hope they are considering these) with shiton of MAB and multi-hit. Said trait could affect cast time of spells if you like, so tiers of the trait increase speed of cast similar to Dual Wields affect on weapon delay (thus subbing rdm would provide some benefit to other jobs but at a delayed casting speed, whereas natively RDM could exceed natural casting speed at higher tiers).

The only problem is, they consider DRK to be the Melee/Elemental hybrid (which makes shitall sense considering the piss poor elemental spells they have access to) and this would step on their toes (but in reality wouldn't because no DRK uses nukes).

SO, Squeenix, do the above for RDM. Remove all elemental magic from DRK. While your at it, replace with dark based nukes in line with Banish series. Make them cast at blue mage physical speed or close to it so as to remove the useless waste of time factor too.
Thus, both jobs stand out as unique and more akin to how you supposedly see them and more fun to play for us. ^^

As for OP, meh. I quite like lolrdmmelee, more fun than haste rotations.

Apparently fixing merits, hoping that like with almost all other jobs we get our trait added to be merited in Fast Cast.
 Siren.Nehalania
Server: Siren
user: Nehalania
By Siren.Nehalania 2011-08-24 07:31:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not surprised. Oh well, just another disappointment to my rdm. It is certainly not a spell I would need, unless I'm playing around.
 Bahamut.Aramachus
Server: Bahamut
user: Aramachus
By Bahamut.Aramachus 2011-08-24 07:32:00
Link | Quote | Reply

best thing SE could do was make temper self target only. if it was not self target, everyone would want the rdms to cast it on the DDs so for the rdms it wouldnt be anything but an additional spell for the haste cycle. and the DDs are powerful enough these days, they dont need temper.
however, being self target only this increases rdms melee potential quite a bit, should be fun to play with if youre not an "alliance only" rdm type of player that is lost on one of the most versatile and self supporting jobs in the game without other people he can cast haste and refresh on.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-08-24 07:41:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm surprised anyone thought even for a moment that "Temper" would be a spell you would be able to cast on other players.

Here's what I think is funny about the "plight" of the RDM:

For YEARS, RDM was the most-highly desired mage class for ... pretty much anything and everything ... XP parties, HNMs, battlefield/arena fights, etc., etc..

And despite this ... many/most RDMs started becoming "snobby" and directing their merits/gear/playtime/experience towards solo'ing ... generally for selfish reasons (e.g. not wanting to split the spoils from NM kills, etc.). RDM solo'ing became a new FFXI "art form", and many YouTube videos ensued, and many successful RDM solo artists became revered in the community, and many became independently-wealthy in-game. It reached a point where some veteran/hardcore players proclaimed that RDM was their "solo only" job, and such players would blatantly refuse to attend linkshell or group activities as RDM, since they considered such menial tasks as casting "Refresh", "Haste", or "Dispel" to be beneath them.

And ... then came Abyssea.

Now, Atmas and Cruor buffs allow almost any job to be at least somewhat effective for solo'ing NMs, and some jobs (notably DNC, NIN, and to a lesser extent, SMN) to solo NM's far better than a RDM could. And, on top of that, many NMs now came equipped with built-in immunity to Gravity and/or Bind! What was the world coming to?!

And thus RDM ... the job that was SO desired for many years that it became indispensable, or even required ... that it became the elitist player's "personal pet", reserved only for pleasureful solo play time ... NOW, after being mostly stripped of its exclusivity for solo'ing, NOW, after being relegated to almost-irrelevant status ... NOW, the RDMs clamor for more PARTY-FRIENDLY spells and abilities, and then complain when they don't get them from the developers.

Boo-hoo, wah-wah.

My RDM is level 75, and I hope it stays right there!
[+]
 Phoenix.Fondue
Server: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Fondue 2011-08-24 07:45:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said: »
I'm surprised anyone thought even for a moment that "Temper" would be a spell you would be able to cast on other players.

For YEARS, RDM was the most-highly desired mage class for ... pretty much anything and everything ... XP parties, HNMs, battlefield/arena fights, etc., etc..

And despite this ... many/most RDMs started becoming "snobby" and directing their merits/gear/playtime/experience towards solo'ing ... generally for selfish reasons (e.g. not wanting to split the spoils from NM kills, etc.). RDM solo'ing became a new FFXI "art form", and many YouTube videos ensued, and many successful RDM solo artists became revered in the community, and many became independently-wealthy in-game. It reached a point where some veteran/hardcore players proclaimed that RDM was their "solo only" job, and such players would blatantly refuse to attend linkshell or group activities as RDM, since they considered such menial tasks as casting "Refresh", "Haste", or "Dispel" to be beneath them.

Now, Atmas and Cruor buffs allow almost any job to be at least somewhat effective for solo'ing NMs, and some jobs (notably DNC, NIN, and to a lesser extent, SMN) to solo NM's far better than a RDM could. And, on top of that, many NMs now came equipped with built-in immunity to Gravity and/or Bind! What was the world coming to?!

And thus RDM ... the job that was SO desired for many years that it became indispensable, or even required ... that it became the elitist player's "personal pet", reserved only for pleasureful solo play time ... NOW, after being mostly stripped of its exclusivity for solo'ing, NOW, after being relegated to almost-irrelevant status ... NOW, the RDMs clamor for more PARTY-FRIENDLY spells and abilities, and then complain when they don't get them from the developers.

Boo-hoo, wah-wah.

lolwat
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-08-24 07:46:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Someone doesn't even understand why RDMs aren't tanks any more.
 Cerberus.Rayik
user: Rayik
By Cerberus.Rayik 2011-08-24 07:47:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Boo-hoo, wah-wah.

Please show the court, where on the doll the RDM touched you.
[+]
 Bahamut.Aramachus
Server: Bahamut
user: Aramachus
By Bahamut.Aramachus 2011-08-24 07:47:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Boo-hoo, wah-wah.

lol very true. people should start being satisfied with updates and new stuff the jobs get and not be annoyed about literally everything SE does just because it doesnt fit their very personal imagination of how their own job should own all other jobs. its not SE that is the problem, I read these threads on every update, its always people complaining about everyhing thats mentioned in the update notes.
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-08-24 07:49:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Fondue said: »
lolwat

Exactly what I think anytime I think of you or see something you write.
Cerberus.Rayik said: »
Please show the court, where on the doll the RDM touched you.

Very funny :P

I actually enjoyed playing RDM back in the day.
The experienced I described were definitely not my own as a RDM. Rather, I described what I observed in MANY other RDMs during (roughly) the 12-15 months preceding the Abyssea era.

edit:
Bahamut.Aramachus said: »
lol very true. people should start being satisfied with updates and new stuff the jobs get and not be annoyed about literally everything SE does just because it doesnt fit their very personal imagination of how their own job should own all other jobs. its not SE that is the problem, I read these threads on every update, its always people complaining about everyhing thats mentioned in the update notes.

Exactly. Well said.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-08-24 07:53:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe you should spend more time on BG. You should brush up on your in game knowledge.
 Cerberus.Rayik
user: Rayik
By Cerberus.Rayik 2011-08-24 07:55:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I was never one of those snobby RDM's. I leveled the job first off, because I loved the archetype and lore of RDM, enjoyed playing the job, and I wanted to be a better support role to my then-LS, since I was a DRK main and the LS was overflowing with DD's. My entire role at events was to support and make everyone else kick more butt.

I'm perfectly happy with Temper being self-only. Casting cycles are boring and turn jobs into nothing more than buffbots; no strategy, no fun, just apply buffs, heal, repeat. I don't care about "usefulness" in Abyssea, I've got jobs leveled specifically for that. The game is bigger than Abyssea, and I think Temper is going to be a staple spell down the road. Now if they just fix those damn EX sword WS's...

EDIT: Okay, my post apparently flies off in two directions. Let me connect the paragraphs by saying I am a huge advocate for meleeRDM, and I feel this is a good step in the right direction. Temper alone doesn't "fix" the play style, but it is certainly a welcome addition.
[+]
 Alexander.Drossos
Server: Alexander
user: droseph
By Alexander.Drossos 2011-08-24 08:21:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Long time ago now, back before many folks will remember, RDM was in all senses, a battle-mage. We could join with the melee classes in front-line during xp pts and everything. During that time we could never cast much on other players besides the basics. Not even barspells were aoE unless they were from /WHM. So to everyone who's moaning how Temper isn't AoE...HELLO??? Did you really expect otherwise? i mean honestly? All the RDMs who remember the good old days are getting their solo ***back and this is the start. Maybe people will learn what the job can really do and how RDM is still the best job after all these years. "but the cup's half empty...." . Maybe if you bothered to look at the right angle you'd see the cup's half full
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-08-24 08:26:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Your frontline experiences had nothing to do with the viability of the job as a melee class and everything to do with things like our insistence on SC>MB, leveling on IT mobs, and not using haste gear.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Corres
Server: Ragnarok
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2011-08-24 08:27:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said: »
Maybe you should spend more time on BG. You should brush up on your in game knowledge.
wait, what?
why would it be a good idea to do that?
if you like to troll and gobble s**t all day not knowing that there is a whole majority of players who don't give a single whimp about BG and they are still having fun in this game.

please try to tell me what exactly makes you a better player (and not only soloing or lowmaning nm's) if you visit BG regulary.
[+]
 Sylph.Kiaru
Server: Sylph
user: Shiyo
By Sylph.Kiaru 2011-08-24 08:28:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
The difference between rdm melee and blu melee has quite a bit more to do with gear availability than with skill level. Just take a quick look at an optimal CDC build between rdm, blu and pld.

Also, unless you /blu or have an Almace you have no decent ws.

Just as a random note, apparently SE are modifying Weapon Skills available, so it'd just be gear that's a problem after that. Simplest method is to stop putting only BLU on the gear they both used to be able to use.

It won't help help put RDM in the front-lines but it will help when they're doing stuff by themselves like trials and such.
Why would SE waste dev time on things for solo, when nothing should ever be done solo? Very stupid.
 Sylph.Kiaru
Server: Sylph
user: Shiyo
By Sylph.Kiaru 2011-08-24 08:31:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Boo-hoo, wah-wah.

I feel like my brain just exploded all over my monitor after reading this.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7