RDM/DNC @Bird Meripo
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Garuda.Crayne
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Crayne
By Garuda.Crayne 2009-03-20 18:30:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I got a perfect solution...you two shut the *** up, you go back to your RDM/WHM like people expect, and you guys pass me a good hammer and a Kraken Club so I can melee in a [b]proper haste build, and keep up with a decent MNK while making YOU main heal cuz apparently WHMs are obselete.

...Seriously though. It's original, I'll hand that to you. The defensiveness is annoying though. It's like what happens when you ask Anna why the hell [s]he used to go WHM/THF for everything.

As a WHM...I've never HAD the luxury of a 30k/hour merit party. Christ, I'm lucky to even GET one let alone get 15k/hr out of it...with BRD + COR. Has nothing to do with me, I can rest my 900 MP and manage fine. But since apparently it's RDM ONRY...I want my hammers. At least I'd be able to do something...At least my club skill is higher than RDM Sword skill, I might actually be able to eat meat.

/rant off, posted for the sake of being an ***. Carry on, chaps.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-20 18:31:51
Link | Quote | Reply

You're making a meal out of pretty obvious criticism that is always going to come when you attempt to share an alternate means other than the mainstream. You clearly knew you were going to get it, you clearly knew everyone would more or less condemn your idea, yet you're acting like everyone is specifically disliking your idea just because it's creative?

It's the lack of explanation and lack of conviction to an alternate means that has me on your case. I am a very open minded individual and I rarely judge unless overwhelming evidence implies it's necessity. If something's new, I love to try it out. Experimentation is the core means of large scale improvement, not just for ourselves, but ideas as a whole.

You are not justifying your change, you're not providing solid, determined arguments why it's a good idea. Instead, whenever somebody is questioning your technique, implimentation and even motives, every response has been overly defensive and, to be honest, melodramatic.

This makes me not want to bother. We're both reasonable people, I'm sure you can understand why.
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2009-03-20 18:32:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Anye said:
Folks like yourself who claim I've failed to make my case are justifiably skeptical but you're also either dense or obstinate. Um, or they're just stating their own opinions based upon the points you've made? XD Insulting them doesn't really do you any good, mister ; ;

Read above anye...

Wooooodum said:
Again with the defensiveness, what the *** is wrong with you?

And that's not an insult?

As with any insult, you have to feel hurt. And if you feel hurt, then the shoe fit and there's probably some truth to what was said. If you're not bothered by it, it doesn't matter.

To reply to Wooooodum's question in that quote. Nothing sir. I feel fine.
 Hades.Ganesha
Server: Hades
user: Niopha
By Hades.Ganesha 2009-03-20 18:33:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Anye said:
I think they're questioning the efficiency of the combo in regards to it's uniqueness. People appreciate a unique combo when it is equally or more efficient, otherwise you invite a lot of "UR DOING IT WRONG"s when you suggest something less efficient.

Malekith said:
Folks like yourself who claim I've failed to make my case are justifiably skeptical but you're also either dense or obstinate.

Um, or they're just stating their own opinions based upon the points you've made? XD Insulting them doesn't really do you any good, mister ; ;

Finally someone with knowledge. Marry me D:
 Seraph.Emoncaine
Server: Seraph
user: Emoncaine
By Seraph.Emoncaine 2009-03-20 18:39:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Who cares....let a RDM mess around a little bit, he is bored and wanted to try something different let him be.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-03-20 18:40:09
Link | Quote | Reply

What more do you want out of me? A step-by-step color by numbers SOP manual of how to play that job combo? At different points I've listed party setup, my gear, and even a relative measure of exp/hr. What more do you want? I achieved a good result, which for some is not enough. I acknowledged there is room for improvement. If you need me to spell out every reason why one should do this, you just wasted whatever amount of time you spent following along so far.

My original quotes

Malekith said:
Just wanted to publicize how awesome this combo is for all my fellow bored merit-whoring RDM's.

Limited audience

Malekith said:
This isn't going to work for everyone, however I just wanted to advertise this setup as an alternative to folks.

Look at that... I said A-L-T-E-R-N-A-T-I-V-E.

Malekith said:
If anything I hope folks can have fun with this! :D

OMG FUN! NOWAI!

Never once do I ever write that this better, superior or meant to replace how people do things in their meripo.
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-03-20 18:41:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ganesha said:
Anye said:
I think they're questioning the efficiency of the combo in regards to it's uniqueness. People appreciate a unique combo when it is equally or more efficient, otherwise you invite a lot of "UR DOING IT WRONG"s when you suggest something less efficient.

Malekith said:
Folks like yourself who claim I've failed to make my case are justifiably skeptical but you're also either dense or obstinate.

Um, or they're just stating their own opinions based upon the points you've made? XD Insulting them doesn't really do you any good, mister ; ;

Finally someone with knowledge. Marry me D:

XDDD Sorry man, I mean... I don't even know if you're a dude or chick! XD

Malekith said:
Anye said:
Malekith said:

Read above anye...

Wooooodum said:
Again with the defensiveness, what the *** is wrong with you?

And that's not an insult?

As with any insult, you have to feel hurt. And if you feel hurt, then the shoe fit and there's probably some truth to what was said. If you're not bothered by it, it doesn't matter.

To reply to Wooooodum's question in that quote. Nothing sir. I feel fine.

I actually didn't see that as an insult, like, "UR DUMB" or something. It was more like a "WTF?" Wooooo is calling you defensive (it has negative connotations, but defensive isn't really an insult), and the whole "what the *** is wrong with you?" I saw as an exclamation of incredulosity. I think it's all a matter of perspective--Wooooo can get pretty heated, but most of the time he's respectful where it's due. ^^;
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-20 18:41:48
Link | Quote | Reply

*sighs*

Next time, don't post your idea. With all due respect, you have to be ready to battle your case, no matter how little you want to.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-03-20 18:51:15
Link | Quote | Reply

*sighs*

Sorry anye, if people use profanity I take offense. That's how I was raised. There's enough words in the English language to express how one feels without having to resort to four letter words.

Wooooodum I'll post as I feel when I feel. With over 400 posts I don't think I'm stopping anytime soon. We argued. Disagreed. Neither liking the other's opinion. That's fine. Disparrage what I posted, but I thought I made the best case that I could knowing the way I knew how.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-20 18:52:14
Link | Quote | Reply

You have an idea... Great.

You share your idea... Great.

You get defensive when people criique your idea... Not great.

By posting, you kind of assume you know you're going to get criticism. You even told us to give you feedback. If you really don't care to share this idea, why so defensive? Being so only implies you have a chip on your shoulder, which just makes everyone critique all the more.
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-03-20 18:55:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Malekith said:
*sighs*

Sorry anye, if people use profanity I take offense. That's how I was raised. There's enough words in the English language to express how one feels without having to resort to four letter words.

But there's nothing like the old "*** YOU! t(-.-)t" that satisfies as much, sadly. I mean... what else would you say? "MASTURBATE! v(^^)v"
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-20 18:56:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Anye is right, it wasn't aimed as an insult. Sorry if you find swearing offensive though.
 Ragnarok.Wran
user: wran
By Ragnarok.Wran 2009-03-20 18:59:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I have still yet to enjoy a merpo where I wasn't riding my convert timer at least once.Not saying that I am riding it every single time but, when soneones shadows are down and they get hit with pecking fury it takes a bit of mp to get them out of the yellow. That being said it is an interesting thought. I would like to see it in action, but I am one who perfers to have my enspell damage over drain samba.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-03-20 19:01:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Anye said:
Malekith said:
*sighs*

But there's nothing like the old "*** YOU! t(-.-)t" that satisfies as much, sadly. I mean... what else would you say? "MASTURBATE! v(^^)v"

To answer the query, why let it bother you in the first place? I've taken some shots from folks in here, and as much as I would/could let fly with a wall-of-profanity in reply there's no need. Water off a ducks back...
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-03-20 19:02:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Wran said:
I have still yet to enjoy a merpo where I wasn't riding my convert timer at least once.Not saying that I am riding it every single time but, when soneones shadows are down and they get hit with pecking fury it takes a bit of mp to get them out of the yellow. That being said it is an interesting thought. I would like to see it in action, but I am one who perfers to have my enspell damage over drain samba.

<3 Wran. Just don't warp yourself again ;D <3333 That is all.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-03-20 19:06:17
Link | Quote | Reply

So I'm defensive how? Cite examples here because I surely want to see what you're reading. Criticism fired at me, I fired back without relying on profanity, gtfo or stfu. How I'm replying is head and shoulders above the usual way people do business on here. I just don't see it.
 Ragnarok.Wran
user: wran
By Ragnarok.Wran 2009-03-20 19:08:22
Link | Quote | Reply

never gonna live that one down, stupid glitch -_- Like your polite way of turning down another propsal, need to stop making people fall in love with your add azn self. :P cause someone might tell that your cheaten >.>
 Ramuh.Deijixfx
Server: Ramuh
user: Deijixfx
By Ramuh.Deijixfx 2009-03-20 20:32:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Having read all your comments and replies, it is an interesting idea however the biggest flaw in the plan is your no haste idea. Granted you say it could be fixed, tho i'm sure as you know haste isn't exactly cheap on mp. Something that no-one seems to have covered on the topic is that haste doesn't just speed up attack rounds, it affects what i see is most important trying to tank stuff. Utsusemi recasts, the lower the better, cos it's all too easy to get the hell kicked out of you in a matter of seconds, link and or pecking flurry spam can ruin a good day, most rdm/whm's can get tripped up fairly quickly on mp supply here. Of course you will have convert in reserve for such occasions however with a lower mp pool u may find yourself needing it more often.

Like i said on paper it's an interesting idea, however if your not hasting ALOT of people will instantly reject it. add the haste into your experiments and repost. i would be interested to see how it plays out.
 Sylph.Lalo
Server: Sylph
user: jdelabra
By Sylph.Lalo 2009-03-20 20:33:45
Link | Quote | Reply

if a melee /dnc then they lose SA, shadows, berserk, etc

thus rdm could /dnc, but! rdm loses erase >> and divine seal.
 Ramuh.Deijixfx
Server: Ramuh
user: Deijixfx
By Ramuh.Deijixfx 2009-03-20 20:38:40
Link | Quote | Reply

well dnc gets an ability that does the job of erase, divine seal tbh is only really used when convert is used, and if a rdm is using aoe waltzes they can gain that hp back whilst curing the pt.
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2009-03-20 20:54:49
Link | Quote | Reply

i fail to see why people are arguing against it >.> if you dont like his idea's... try it out for yourself? then you'll be able to identify the flaws properly and then argue about them. plus i think its a decent idea. having the tp for curing waltz would be awesome. bard accidently gets caught with shadows down and gets slept? blam! wake him up MP free. someone gets elegy'd? oh noe! mp free erase. hes not giving up anything fairly important, and maybe if the haste issue was sorted a little i bet it would be very effective. if mp was a problem, he's already said he didnt use food. mp food + yags or something he'd have enough to see him through. sam/nin war/nin whatever/nin cor/rng and brd/nin.. with two forms of curing, one of which is instant, the cor could sub rng for some even MORE damage because his 200-300 mp pool really isnt needed. using drain samba on rdm would mean others are helping to heal themselves aswell.
 Hades.Ganesha
Server: Hades
user: Niopha
By Hades.Ganesha 2009-03-20 21:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ultrarichard said:
i fail to see why people are arguing against it >.> if you dont like his idea's... try it out for yourself? then you'll be able to identify the flaws properly and then argue about them. plus i think its a decent idea. having the tp for curing waltz would be awesome. bard accidently gets caught with shadows down and gets slept? blam! wake him up MP free. someone gets elegy'd? oh noe! mp free erase. hes not giving up anything fairly important, and maybe if the haste issue was sorted a little i bet it would be very effective. if mp was a problem, he's already said he didnt use food. mp food + yags or something he'd have enough to see him through. sam/nin war/nin whatever/nin cor/rng and brd/nin.. with two forms of curing, one of which is instant, the cor could sub rng for some even MORE damage because his 200-300 mp pool really isnt needed. using drain samba on rdm would mean others are helping to heal themselves aswell.

So many things wrong in that paragraph...

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Fairy.Winterlight
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Winterlight 2009-03-20 22:51:23
Link | Quote | Reply

That was a good suggestion Malekith.

There are of course the people in the Ivory-Tower-of-Jobs in this game dictating that you MUST USE THE COMMON SETUP. lol. Nice to be narrow-minded.

I love playing uncommon setups just to have a little fun. I'd love to try RDM/BST but haven't gotten that chance.

Keep the faith Mal. :)

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-21 00:50:10
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

You know, reading all these negative comments to Mal's open minded suggestion reminds me alot of the old "AV takes 18 hours to kill" and "PW is impossible to kill" threads.

99% of the posts were something along the lines of:

"I don't have sea access but... I am 100% positive AV definately requires 18 hours to legitimately kill."

"I never fought AV before but I can say without a doubt you need to spend all day fighting it to defeat it."

"I never fought PW before, but I know it's impossible to defeat."

"I never even done ZNM before but I'm certain PW was made to be an unbeatable boss."

etc. etc. etc.
 Asura.Vixen
By Asura.Vixen 2009-03-21 01:48:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Malekith said:
4) It would have been nice if the COR was /whm so that he/she coulda woke me up when I got hit with a mimicked lullaby. With everyone /nin I was stuck ZZZ more than a few times.

So the COR that can actually do nice damage should /WHM to wake up the RDM? o.O
 Midgardsormr.Acropora
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Acropora
By Midgardsormr.Acropora 2009-03-21 02:08:03
Link | Quote | Reply

If it worked for him and his pt setup, and he was just pointing it out, I really cant see what the big deal is here with people bashing on him... Its not like he commanded all of you to go do it. If you don't like the idea, just DON'T do it.. geez. There's no point in telling him how FAIL it was because it OBVIOUSLY didn't fail for him. Personally with RDM and DNC being my mains, I'd try it for the fun of it, maybe with a few friends just to see. As for normal exp/merit pts, I'd probably do /mage, but props to him for at least trying something new.
 Bahamut.Kelia
Server: Bahamut
user: Kelia
By Bahamut.Kelia 2009-03-21 15:10:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh for ***'s sake.

Vixen said:
Malekith said:
4) It would have been nice if the COR was /whm so that he/she coulda woke me up when I got hit with a mimicked lullaby. With everyone /nin I was stuck ZZZ more than a few times.

So the COR that can actually do nice damage should /WHM to wake up the RDM? o.O

I know right? self-indulgence at its finest
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-03-21 16:05:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Lost internet last night... thank you AOL Time Warner!

Now to business at hand... If you don't want to take my word and want to save some time here. Here you go >>> Check out google ("RDM/DNC FFXI")! I got the idea from doing my own research off the results returned. I Read enough to see it'd work where I tried it. I did it. End of story.

IF you want to keep reading, I'll post a few replies to some of the more ignorant out of context comments I saw on here....

RE: HASTE --- In a party setup where you had DRG (+wyvern), xDD1, xDD2, COR, and me on RDM attacking a colibri fights were not lasting long. xDD1 and xDD2 denote two random DD's whose jobs I can't even remember. Colibri are flying feathered water balloons. Given that all 5 of us on the mob had 4 attack buffs on us from songs/rolls we were moving at a pretty fast clip.

I chose not to haste anyone but myself. It's what I do normally until I have a handle on how much mp I need expend in any non-bird meripo (READ: Trolls/ Mamools).

Given the setup at hand, Haste wasn't necessary. 5 people (+wyvern) hit a bird, it died. At one point we were literally standing around waiting for re-pops. So why save the MP? I still had to caste cures. Playing RDM/DNC is like driving a hybrid car. Until the (TP) battery gets charged up, I still have to drive on unleaded (MP).

Eventually I got into a groove and I was managing TP and MP pretty well. I was able to put up haste here and there focusing solely on DD's with 2-hand weps who would benefit the most. It wasn't a regular cycle but the spell was being cast.

RE: WHY? --- I got asked this question about 10 different ways. I did it because I wanted to try out something new. It's soul crushing boring to sit backline for 4 hours and be a chimp going between standing and casting to kneeling and healing. Being RDM/DNC let me hit as a flr the exp I was getting as a RDM/Mage and once we really got going I was able to exceed it.

I know folks can hit higher exp/hr and bigger chains. Good for you! Have a cupcake! I'm quite fine making my 20k/hr when all I had for merit opps before was exp pt's on PLD or Manaburn on BLM which come nowhere close for the return on time invested.

Please understand I'm advocating as I am for a limited instance and only that instance. If folks think I'm advocating something else that's on you and you have just ignored the prior sentence.

RDM/DNC is just a fun alternate to meriting at Nyzul Bird Camp. It works just as fine as RDM/ mage. That's all. There's no mystery. The only difference is just stylistic.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7