BLMs, Please Listen.

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » BLMs, Please listen.
BLMs, Please listen.
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-10 17:02:30
Link | Quote | Reply

As much as I would like to try to read the following.....7 pages worth of advice.

I rather have the Clift Notes version, just to update on what in the heck everyone is talking about.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-03-10 17:12:03
Link | Quote | Reply

tl;dr version said:

1) Get all your spells including that scroll of Sleepga II you sold... buy it back or request on a new character.
2) Cap your magic skills
3) Use separate gear-sets Elemental/Enfeebling/Dark/hMP/Standing
4) Play the job as expected by your group (no "I dont want to sleep mobs because I'll get hate" attitudes)
5) 4-5 pages of bickering with some entertainment value =P
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-10 17:18:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Hypnotizd said:
tl;dr version said:

1) Get all your spells including that scroll of Sleepga II you sold... buy it back or request on a new character.
2) Cap your magic skills
4) Play the job as expected by your group (no "I dont want to sleep mobs because I'll get hate" attitudes)

Thats it?

Any noobs thanking us for the sage advice?
 Diabolos.Sovereign
Server: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-03-10 17:45:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:

Thats it?

Nope, it would seem the noobs here are too hard headed to see good advice for what it is... they'd rather *** and moan about the person who gave it to them.
 Hades.Boogers
Server: Hades
user: Boogers
By Hades.Boogers 2009-03-10 18:02:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, and
Moondaddy said:
Boogers said:

You really only need four builds for events as a BLM: accuracy build, MAB build, and resting build, and a stoneskin build. There are other jobs out there that are more suited for enfeebling and sleeping (RDMs and BRDs). It boggles my mind... rather than using a job that is best-suited for enfeebling (RDM), people opt to use the second-best job.

so ya, the job that gets sleepga1&2 not best suited sleepers um wtf you talkin bout

Having sleepga 2 does not make you the best suited for main sleeper, just like DRK having Stun does not make DRK the best stunner (in particular, with respect to something like chainstunning). You should also take into account the fast cast difference.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-03-10 18:13:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Sovereign said:
Korpg said:

Thats it?

Nope, it would seem the noobs here are too hard headed to see good advice for what it is... they'd rather *** and moan about the person who gave it to them.

Let's be honest, who's going to take your advice when you're busy being an ***? If it wasn't for the fact that you were quoting Kaeko I'd have ignored your posts outright.
Everyone who contributed constructively has my thanks, though I'm not sure how much I learned given the past 5 or so pages ._. I may have missed it, was there any Dynamis-specific advice in here?
 Fairy.Basilo
Server: Fairy
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2009-03-10 18:21:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Nightfyre said:
I may have missed it, was there any Dynamis-specific advice in here?

Would you like some? ;o
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-03-10 18:29:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Basilo said:
Nightfyre said:

Would you like some? ;o

{Yes, please.} I'm still a ways off from being able to do Dynamis, but I'll take any advice I can get. Advice in general is always welcome :D
 Diabolos.Sovereign
Server: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-03-10 18:31:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Nightfyre said:
Let's be honest, who's going to take your advice when you're busy being an ***? If it wasn't for the fact that you were quoting Kaeko I'd have ignored your posts outright.

Lets be honest, a smart person would take good advice as it comes, no matter who it came from or how it was presented.

I didnt quote Kaeko in any fashion... I just told you the same ***that he posted in his BLM guide. It's not like Kaeko's guide to playing BLM was revolutionary or anything... the vast majority of that information was already available and used by many BLMs before he bothered to write a guide about it. The way you all talk about it, you'd think Kaeko invented BLM kiting. Guess what!? He didnt.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-10 18:34:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Sovereign said:
Lets be honest, a smart person would take good advice as it comes, no matter who it came from or how it was presented.

Smart people rise above ***. That might be why people haven't taken your "advice", but for the record, insulting people and telling them they suck because they don't do things your way isn't advice. It's anything but "advice".

As so many people have now said, if you want to be noticed (which, despite many claims at not caring about, you clearly do), treat people with the respect they were courteous enough to show you before you started throwing your sour attitude around.
 Ramuh.Scizor
Server: Ramuh
user: Scizor
By Ramuh.Scizor 2009-03-10 18:39:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah you did give some good advice but the problem is you came across all elitist and and as I said before the whole "imfuckingrighteliteism" attitude is unnecessary and pointless.
If you'd given the advice in a none demeaning way people wouldn't be so annoyed.

Lets face it no one likes a superiority complex.
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2009-03-10 18:44:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Nightfyre said:
Basilo said:
Nightfyre said:

Would you like some? ;o

{Yes, please.} I'm still a ways off from being able to do Dynamis, but I'll take any advice I can get. Advice in general is always welcome :D

Hypnotizd said:
tl;dr version said:

2) Cap your magic skills

This kinda covers the musts for dynamis as regards tips um off the top of my head so its gonna be pretty unstructured :

Be aware of your kiting distances, dont back into any statues, always try request a rdm in a blm pty over a brd to allow kiting whilst still getting refreshed. Always stay buffed of course, stagger your sleepgas, sleepga1 the melee who will get to you 1st as the mages close in sleep2 the melee as the mages pass through to get them all. Sometimes you can aga stats where its been a long pull and they wont be touching any other slepts mobs. If you missed a timed nuke on a designated mob start to stun before the 1st nuke lands if it is a nin or smn in particular.

Keep on the enfeebling as a blm dont expect a rdm to get them all missing a timed nuke on a nin to silence it can prevent it casting ni after 1st nuke lands and the rest whiffing.

Be aware stats have different coloured eyes blue restoring hp and green mp, if you are kiting a blu hp one away from melee to finish it chances are they wont get their hp back.

Remember that you cant sleep hecteyes but you can still bind gravity silence them to assist to keep them under control.

This is just a few useful pointers i can think off top of my head whilst waiting for limbus.
 Hades.Boogers
Server: Hades
user: Boogers
By Hades.Boogers 2009-03-10 18:52:42
Link | Quote | Reply

It's fail because even today, the strategy hasn't changed one for Kirin zerging. And I've seen groups with mediocre gear zerg him in 45 seconds -- hell, I was part of a lot of such zergs. It's fail because it comes from someone who boasts he knows so much about the game, and yet cannot see why a 2 minute Kirin zerg is not worth mentioning.

Quote:
As far as this is concerned... you obviously do not solo or low man anything in this game if you have that mentality. All of the linkshells I've played with tend to have problems with more members. It's more difficult to effectively coordinate events, people start going afk cause they think others can pick up thier slack, etc.

Yes, with more folks, there will be slacking off. But unless your sac holders are useless, the slackers will either be warned, get nothing, or be booted. How well your group performs is based on leadership. As for soloing, I solo'd my BLM from 1 to 75.

Quote:
Yeah, the competitive spirit between players, trying to out do one another and all... yeah that's awesome. That's what keeps people playing the game, I think. But at the same time, BLM isnt all about how much damage your Burst II can do. Being a good DD isnt all about how high your weaponskill damage can go. There is a lot more to playing these jobs than just that.

Then you'll agree the same can be said about gear. It's more than just have the perfect builds. In fact, you'll probably agree that it's more about skill and leadership.

Quote:
You say the downside to having low-man groups is that we all become cookie-cutter players... there's a reason for that, you know. It's because there is an optimal solution to every issue, and all of these players have realized it. That's why they all do things the same, thyey do things in the most effecient manner.

The premise is correct -- there is an optimal solution, but you assume there is only one optimal solution. (If you've taken a calculus course you can easily see how there are functions having two maximums of equal value)

Your linkshell of 12 simply cannot clear Dynamis San d'Oria entirely of every single mob. No matter what gear set you have. Yet our ragtag group of about 36 can easily decimate the zone with time to spare.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-03-10 18:59:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Basilo said:
Be aware of your kiting distances, dont back into any statues, always try request a rdm in a blm pty over a brd to allow kiting whilst still getting refreshed. Always stay buffed of course, stagger your sleepgas, sleepga1 the melee who will get to you 1st as the mages close in sleep2 the melee as the mages pass through to get them all. Sometimes you can aga stats where its been a long pull and they wont be touching any other slepts mobs. If you missed a timed nuke on a designated mob start to stun before the 1st nuke lands if it is a nin or smn in particular.

Keep on the enfeebling as a blm dont expect a rdm to get them all missing a timed nuke on a nin to silence it can prevent it casting ni after 1st nuke lands and the rest whiffing.

Be aware stats have different coloured eyes blue restoring hp and green mp, if you are kiting a blu hp one away from melee to finish it chances are they wont get their hp back.

Remember that you cant sleep hecteyes but you can still bind gravity silence them to assist to keep them under control.

This is just a few useful pointers i can think off top of my head whilst waiting for limbus.

Ok, I think I got all that except for a couple things I want to make sure I'm clear on:
Kiting distances as in your casting, mob casting, mob melee, link/aggro, and possibly other distances?
The missing your timed nuke comment, you're saying I should interrupt to stun so that it's stunned while the spells land? Is this 100% of the time?
"sleepga1 the melee who will get to you 1st as the mages close in sleep2 the melee as the mages"
So sleepga 1 as the mob closes in, then sleepga2 once the other mages arrive?
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2009-03-10 19:24:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Nightfyre said:
Ok, I think I got all that except for a couple things I want to make sure I'm clear on:
Kiting distances as in your casting, mob casting, mob melee, link/aggro, and possibly other distances?
The missing your timed nuke comment, you're saying I should interrupt to stun so that it's stunned while the spells land? Is this 100% of the time?
"sleepga1 the melee who will get to you 1st as the mages close in sleep2 the melee as the mages"
So sleepga 1 as the mob closes in, then sleepga2 once the other mages arrive?

Yes sleepga1 the 1st group of enemies which arrive usually melee then sleepga2 the melee can be same one you targetted for the sleepga1 as the mages bards and paladins turn up which arrive slower.

Be aware of kiting distances was a bit vague, you need to be aware of all distances on the battlefield. There is a general radius in which the fighting takes place, kiting too far whilst nuking a statue could result in you bumping into an idle stat or killing it without other members getting their mp or hp back. Or of course can result in the other blm who was casting a tier4 on it to get out of range. Staying out of a potential aoe range is a good idea also such as scorpions - breakga.

I also didnt mean to say purposefully miss a timed nuke i just meant if you do miss it in /l for some reason theres other spells you can do to the mob to assist more than just casting late. Silence , stun and gravity most useful 3 in this situation, usually.

Even if the timing on the timed nuke is perfect it didnt kill it and the person who nuked 1st goes for the stun straight away nins can mijin still before a stun can land. If its still stunned as it wakes it cannot do so.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-03-10 19:38:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Basilo said:
Yes sleepga1 the 1st group of enemies which arrive usually melee then sleepga2 the melee can be same one you targetted for the sleepga1 as the mages bards and paladins turn up which arrive slower.
Ok that makes more sense now, you're talking about mobs not allies on the timing for Sleepga 2.

Quote:
Be aware of kiting distances was a bit vague, you need to be aware of all distances on the battlefield. There is a general radius in which the fighting takes place, kiting too far whilst nuking a statue could result in you bumping into an idle stat or killing it without other members getting their mp or hp back. Or of course can result in the other blm who was casting a tier4 on it to get out of range. Staying out of a potential aoe range is a good idea also such as scorpions - breakga.

I also didnt mean to say purposefully miss a timed nuke i just meant if you do miss it in /l for some reason theres other spells you can do to the mob to assist more than just casting late. Silence , stun and gravity most useful 3 in this situation, usually.

Even if the timing on the timed nuke is perfect it didnt kill it and the person who nuked 1st goes for the stun straight away nins can mijin still before a stun can land. If its still stunned as it wakes it cannot do so.

I got what you said about missing the nuke but I worded it really badly XD Thanks for elaborating though.
 Remora.Tiddlypeep
Server: Remora
By Remora.Tiddlypeep 2009-03-10 20:16:26
Link | Quote | Reply

1stly standing gear is always useful, idling doesnt just mean standing around twidling ur thumbs, it means time when u mite be kiting an that terra's staff mite actually be handy...but sovereign learn how to chose ur words better, telling sum1 they are crap is not constructive, 2ndly to whoever said why chose a blm to enfeeble when u can just have an rdm do it, that attitude isnt useful when ur soloing or when ur rdm is dead/waiting on timers and all of a sudden ur gonna miss that enfeebling setup real bad
 Shiva.Weewoo
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Weewoo 2009-03-10 20:17:56
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Inspiring to be a BLM in the future, I need to know for the record:

Cream Puff vs. Melon Pie +1 >.>
 Fenrir.Alijah
user: Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-03-10 20:22:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends on what you're aiming for. When you just need Mass Damage, go with the +7 Int of the puffs.

When you're being a little more conservative, or say, lowmanning a BCNM, I prefer the pies. When you only have 30 minutes to get something done, every hMP counts.

But usually, it's the puffs. +7 int, who doesnt love that.
 Shiva.Weewoo
user:
By Shiva.Weewoo 2009-03-10 20:32:30

Until I hit higher levels I think I'm gonna stick with the pies. 30 MP and 2 hMP sounds very versital for only 2 less INT. Not to mention any -HP is big trouble at lower levels. Although I'm sure I can get away with it once I'm up higher.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-03-10 20:34:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I always use Melon+1. hMP+2 and +30 MP is well worth the cost over puffs any day.
 Shiva.Weewoo
user:
By Shiva.Weewoo 2009-03-10 20:37:11

Yeah pies are abit cheaper too... Not to mention I am a big fan of pie. Cakes are lies anyways.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-10 20:51:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ambrosia > all.

End of story.
 Shiva.Weewoo
user:
By Shiva.Weewoo 2009-03-10 20:55:36

I ate a cursed soup once. It was disgusting...
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-10 20:57:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:

Smart people rise above ***.

Sovereign said:

Boogers said:

Quote:
As far as this is concerned... you obviously do not solo or low man anything in this game if you have that mentality. All of the linkshells I've played with tend to have problems with more members. It's more difficult to effectively coordinate events, people start going afk cause they think others can pick up thier slack, etc.

Yes, with more folks, there will be slacking off. But unless your sac holders are useless, the slackers will either be warned, get nothing, or be booted. How well your group performs is based on leadership. As for soloing, I solo'd my BLM from 1 to 75.

Quote:
You say the downside to having low-man groups is that we all become cookie-cutter players... there's a reason for that, you know. It's because there is an optimal solution to every issue, and all of these players have realized it. That's why they all do things the same, thyey do things in the most effecient manner.

The premise is correct -- there is an optimal solution, but you assume there is only one optimal solution. (If you've taken a calculus course you can easily see how there are functions having two maximums of equal value)

Your linkshell of 12 simply cannot clear Dynamis San d'Oria entirely of every single mob. No matter what gear set you have. Yet our ragtag group of about 36 can easily decimate the zone with time to spare.

How about a BLM duo in NW Apolyon or however you spell it? Don't say thats impossible to do, because (with the exception of all floors until the Bugards) my friend and I duo'd NW all the way to the Behemoths, even managed to get a couple of those down until time expired, and still killed every single mob from Bugards to Behemoths. We were rich bioches from all the ABCs that dropped and split among ourselves.

So, low-maning events....can be profitable. Hell, if I could solo dynamis (and make some gil from it), I wouldn't even bother going into endgame or anything, because I would be my own one-man alliance.

Cookie-cutters aside though.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-10 21:26:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Sovereign, going back to something you said last page about Kaeko. There are many reasons he is held in such high regard, while he may not have invented kiting, I believe he did do many 'firsts'. But don't assume for one second that all the testing has been done and that there's no better way to play BLM (or any job). There is always new gear coming out, as well the occasional tweak to the game mechanics. Your assumption that there is no better way to play than your style is not only incredibly naive, but it's ridiculously arrogant.

Kaeko did a LOT of testing on game mechanics, as well as just experimentation with what works. The reason he was so good is not only because he put the testing to use, but because he tried new things. You may very well be as good as Kaeko, but you're just a cookie cutter follower, you're not playing the game for yourself, you're just trying to follow in someone elses footsteps.

You said yourself that everything you said is "the same ***Kaeko said". Well since you don't seem have an opinion of your own (except that we should all bow to you because you solo'd w/e), you should have just linked Kaeko's BLM guide and gtfo.

Your elitist *** attitude is unwarranted and unwelcome.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-10 21:47:58
Link | Quote | Reply

that reply took me about 2 hours <_<

Korpg, pretty sure Kaeko solo'd that run O_O
 Fenrir.Alijah
user: Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-03-10 22:30:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Sovereign, going back to something you said last page about Kaeko. There are many reasons he is held in such high regard, while he may not have invented kiting, I believe he did do many 'firsts'. But don't assume for one second that all the testing has been done and that there's no better way to play BLM (or any job). There is always new gear coming out, as well the occasional tweak to the game mechanics. Your assumption that there is no better way to play than your style is not only incredibly naive, but it's ridiculously arrogant.

Kaeko did a LOT of testing on game mechanics, as well as just experimentation with what works. The reason he was so good is not only because he put the testing to use, but because he tried new things. You may very well be as good as Kaeko, but you're just a cookie cutter follower, you're not playing the game for yourself, you're just trying to follow in someone elses footsteps.

You said yourself that everything you said is "the same ***Kaeko said". Well since you don't seem have an opinion of your own (except that we should all bow to you because you solo'd w/e), you should have just linked Kaeko's BLM guide and gtfo.

Your elitist *** attitude is unwarranted and unwelcome.

I dont think anybody could have said this better.

Well done, Blazza. ^^ All that being said, if you really feel like we're all so terrible/gimp/stupid/lazy then just SS us and post it to BG under the WTF thread because the elitist, arrogant attitude may be welcome on their forums, but it most certainly is not welcome here.

I admit that yes, a standing setup is a great thing to have on Blm; but to storm in here spouting about how you are FFXI's gift to BLMs everywhere and we are but lowly plebes, your very valid and informative advice became moot and null because your credibility is now crap.
 Bahamut.Kelia
Server: Bahamut
user: Kelia
By Bahamut.Kelia 2009-03-10 23:21:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Dear Korpg, I skimmed.

Quote:
Even when I was the only BLM in this one run for Einherjar (which was a pain in the ***, I had to D2 30 people afterwards) I still had a great sleep rate over RDMs and SCHs in the same group. Without ES also (using ES ment that they slept for a lot longer, which ment that they didn't rape me when they woke up afterwards). The time for RDMs to sleep ***is over. BLMs > all.

ES making sleeps last longer means you were getting resisted before. That's all. Get better enfeebling gear.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-11 01:38:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Kelia said:
Dear Korpg, I skimmed.

Quote:
Even when I was the only BLM in this one run for Einherjar (which was a pain in the ***, I had to D2 30 people afterwards) I still had a great sleep rate over RDMs and SCHs in the same group. Without ES also (using ES ment that they slept for a lot longer, which ment that they didn't rape me when they woke up afterwards). The time for RDMs to sleep ***is over. BLMs > all.

ES making sleeps last longer means you were getting resisted before. That's all. Get better enfeebling gear.

Ok then, you try sleeping undead as a BLM. See how that works. Sleep them all while your LS takes care of the floor, and when they all wake up and start casting /random spells at you, you have to either hit them all with sleep again (which would kill you, if you don't ES sleepga them) or move out of range and wait for them to come to you (which is what I usually do).

Besides, whats up with these attacks on my gear? I never said my gear is complete, or that I'm the best BLM in the game. I know I need to get better gear, but I also need to get money to buy that better gear, which I don't have time for really.
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10