BLMs, Please Listen.

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » BLMs, Please listen.
BLMs, Please listen.
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-09 07:11:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Aledacia said:
Thus, I'm thinking of getting Hermes Sandals so I can pull on COR

That's exactly what I do!

As for sleeping, I sleep anything that moves the rare times I go Dynamis as Black Mage. I'm not one of those "sit around and wait for other people to do it" types of people. If something's awake and it shouldn't be, I spam sleep spells until it's asleep. Our sleepers in Dynamis are generally very efficient, though.

The answer to this problem is actually (in absolute fact and not sarcasm) making the Black Mages pull for parts of a run. Going from Black Mage full time in Dynamis and then going to full time puller really gives you an insight into how important sleeping is. On Corsair, I can outrun the monsters with Hermes' Sandals... But that's not an excuse for the sleepers to slack off.

If the Black Mages who don't think sleeping is all that important pull for a few runs, their own poor sleeping will get them killed. That's a good insight into why sleeping is important. I'm reknowned in my linkshell for yelling at Black Mages to sleep more when I'm pulling; there's just no reason the puller should ever die and if I feel it can be avoided with a few sleeps, it does irritate me.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-03-09 07:17:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Tl;dr but this quote from the OP sorta confused me.

Someone in a chain of quotes up above, I think it was Korpg said:
Reason 3: No matter what, your sleepga in any situation will suck.

Call me naive, but isn't Sleepga NOT based on your job level at all? Like wouldn't a RDM/BLM still have the exact same (Or most likely even better) accuracy as a BLM main?

I'm pretty sure that's the way it is. Not only has my Sleepga never been resisted in Dynamis except by NMs, I've seen BLMs get resists left and right because they just don't have good enough Enfeebling skill.

Korpg said:
Sleepga II > all.

And another thing, Sleepga and Sleepga II have the exact same amount of Accuracy. Same with Sleep and Sleep II.That's not speculation, that's fact. Higher-tier spells do not gain any accuracy boost, unless it's a merit spell and you personally put added merits into it.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-09 07:19:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
And another thing, Sleepga and Sleepga II have the exact same amount of Accuracy. Same with Sleep and Sleep II.That's not speculation, that's fact. Higher-tier spells do not gain any accuracy boost, unless it's a merit spell and you personally put added merits into it.

It lasts longer.
 Cerberus.Saiya
Server: Cerberus
user: Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-03-09 07:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
It depends entirely on what sort of shell or group you're going with, I suppose. One that's either there to make the most of it and enjoy it as much as possible, or one that's main priority is on as many drops as possible. Being the leader of my shell, I swing towards the second option; I'm not a kill joy at all, but it's overall more productive to the team if they don't use the ring. As I said before, though, if it enables them to one shot a statue, brilliant.

Otherwise, it's -25%+ for essentially no difference. Okay, so it makes individual nukes higher. Doesn't stop the fact another Black Mage has to finish the statue off for you, which means this essentially is taking away 25%+ HP for nothing.

And, well... The overall welfare of my shell's runs is more important than one Black Mage's e-peen.

I guess I should have added that my philosophy in this matter is somewhat dictated by the Linkshell I run with. Our BLMs are anything but limited to what they cast on, as in statues are only the tip of the iceberg. The most powerful nuking gear is encouraged for any BLMs, and they are trusted that they can handle themselves to keep alive. If they do die, the others can pick up the slack, they get tossed a Raise III (usually), and are back in the game 3mins later. We are extremely successful on the majority of dynamis runs, and when doing the 4 cities it's more often than not a complete zone clearance.

Distilled version of that WoT I guess is, I'd recommend going all out if your increased vulnerability isn't hugely detrimental to the run's progress. Many dynamis groups I hear about aren't quite that lucky, so advice in the thread is to be heeded ^^; I guess i'm a little biased.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-09 07:27:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Well on normal monsters, yes, the more damage the better. But the point raised was about statues, the viewpoint to which should be completely different.

Let's consider it this way. On average statues take two nukes to kill, unless the Black Mage nuking first has exceptional gear. This means that no matter how much damage you do (with or without Sorcerer's Ring), unless you can one shot the statues, somebody else has to finish it off anyway. This makes the Sorcerer's Ring a bad choice unless it tips your equipment over the line and allows you to one shot the statues.

Otherwise, it's essentially -25% HP for nothing. Another Black Mage still has to expend their MP, and you're 25% HP lower without any visible outcome. Numbers are irrelevant on Dynamis statues unless you can one shot them with these numbers.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-03-09 07:28:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
It lasts longer.

That wasn't my point. Of course it lasts longer. Doesn't mean much if you're getting resists as BLM as opposed to full-effect on RDM, you know?
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-09 07:29:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
That wasn't my point. Of course it lasts longer. Doesn't mean much if you're getting resists as BLM as opposed to full-effect on RDM, you know?

Then what was your point? This isn't about Red Mages, it's about Black Mages.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-03-09 07:31:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I was just correcting something someone said earlier.

That being said, my BLM is only 39 (One of the few jobs I have left for Maat's Cap, and my current focus) so I'll be leveling this and hopefully in a few months I'll get back to you on my BLM thoughts. c.c
 Cerberus.Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-03-09 07:34:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
Well on normal monsters, yes, the more damage the better. But the point raised was about statues, the viewpoint to which should be completely different.

Let's consider it this way. On average statues take two nukes to kill, unless the Black Mage nuking first has exceptional gear. This means that no matter how much damage you do (with or without Sorcerer's Ring), unless you can one shot the statues, somebody else has to finish it off anyway. This makes the Sorcerer's Ring a bad choice unless it tips your equipment over the line and allows you to one shot the statues.

Otherwise, it's essentially -25% HP for nothing. Another Black Mage still has to expend their MP, and you're 25% HP lower without any visible outcome. Numbers are irrelevant on Dynamis statues unless you can one shot them with these numbers.
In the event that the Sorc. Ring does enough extra damage that a statue can be killed with a Tier III / II / Drain from another BLM, then it's perfectly worthwhile in that a lot less MP has been expended overall. IF the BLM can be trusted to do it safely, I don't how how statues should be treated any differently to regular mobs.
Wooooodum said:
Enternius said:

Then what was your point? This isn't about Red Mages, it's about Black Mages.

He was addressing points raised in other posts, which involved RDMs to some extent. He's saying that it's enfeebling skill that a lot of BLMs are lacking, that's all.

And damnit Wooooodum, I keep forgetting it's you that's posting because of the rapid avatar changes XD
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-09 07:41:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiya said:
And damnit Wooooodum, I keep forgetting it's you that's posting because of the rapid avatar changes XD

This one's here to stay :3
 Bahamut.Danagon
Server: Bahamut
user: Danagon
By Bahamut.Danagon 2009-03-09 07:56:00
Link | Quote | Reply

this looks more like bashing BLMs than helping em if anything
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-09 08:03:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Danagon said:

Somebody doesn't acknowledge the mistakes they make in gameplay if everybody sugar coats their words and refuses to point out where people are going wrong.
 Bahamut.Danagon
By Bahamut.Danagon 2009-03-09 08:06:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
Danagon said:

Somebody doesn't acknowledge the mistakes they make in gameplay if everybody sugar coats their words and refuses to point out where people are going wrong.

only what i think
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-09 08:07:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Danagon said:
only what i think

But I'm right, no?
 Bahamut.Danagon
By Bahamut.Danagon 2009-03-09 08:08:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
Danagon said:
only what i think

But I'm right, no?

just seems to me people flexing RDMs epeen and putting BLMs down
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-09 08:10:06
Link | Quote | Reply

<.<

Wooooodum said:

If I see somebody in my shell doing something wrong, I tell them what they're doing wrong and how they can do it better or properly. Nobody will ever learn anything if we don't point out what they're doing wrong. To you, it seems like bashing. To me, it's so far more or less been constructive criticism. I haven't seen much of this "RDM epeen" either.
 Seraph.Kyaaadaa
Server: Seraph
user: Kyaaadaa
By Seraph.Kyaaadaa 2009-03-09 08:21:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Danagon said:
Wooooodum said:
Danagon said:

only what i think

As quoted by a fine French gentleman (don't remember entirely how it went, but the main points are there) : "People foolishly choose the praise that misleads them to the criticism that could do them some good."

Sugar coating a mistake or pure noobness can kill a dyna run when the BLM isn't made to see the error of his mistake. Not sleeping mobs, sleeping them in wrong spots to link roaming stones, or nuking in gear that can and will get them annihilated is foolishness. Accepting that dying is part of your job only gives you peace of mind that dying is allowed. BLMs should strive to remain alive at all costs, because an active, alive member is much more valuable than a face down or weakened one.
 Bahamut.Danagon
By Bahamut.Danagon 2009-03-09 08:56:04
Link | Quote | Reply

we go BLM/WHM coz we to cheap to buy RR items? wheres the constructive criticism in that?
 Cerberus.Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-03-09 09:11:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Danagon said:
we go BLM/WHM coz we to cheap to buy RR items? wheres the constructive criticism in that?
Easy tiger. That comment was aimed at BLMs in their own linkshell, and didn't for a second hint that that was the reason all BLMs go /WHM. Having Erase & Divine Seal i've found useful any number of times, don't be so quick to take offense.

As for constructive criticism, i'm sure that's not the way they phrase it when they're discussing it with the BLMs in question.
 Unicorn.Ixn
Server: Unicorn
user: unknown
By Unicorn.Ixn 2009-03-09 09:13:36
Link | Quote | Reply

we usually tell the new blms to DoT the pld's mnks in dynamis and then wait... (by we i mean the blm alliance)
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-09 09:20:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Kyaaadaa said:
"People foolishly choose the praise that misleads them to the criticism that could do them some good."
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-03-09 09:23:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see any issue of going /whm either, yes you get reraise but you got raise to help a fellow raise too, /whm can cast paralyna, erase, and whatever other spells that can help. Although /whm and /rdm are situational in my opinion. you just have to make the judgement choice based on event and how your role will be for that event.

BLM should deinitely learn to solo and learn to be in party situations. I got blm to 75 waaaaay before level sync and before ppl started rejecting blm in a xp pt.. I definitely can say I learned alot from having mostly xp pt's with all the different things that can relate to events, with linking, sleeping, timing nukes, etc. I didn't solo until I was around level 68 and that taught me things too, i sometimes think of the situation I may get into.

Use stoneskin/blink like many have said, it is a helpful way to get a sleep off, nuke it down, and keep u alive longer for someone else to kill it.

I've seen blm's not even care to use rr items even if they were /rdm, nor use stoneskin/blink,etc.

And play smart, you may live longer with about 100 mp left than no mp to cast anything. Be smart and look at your other blm's life, mp, and if a mob is hitting them and they have no mp.
 Odin.Leey
Server: Odin
user:
By Odin.Leey 2009-03-09 09:33:18
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

why would anyone stick up for a blm using full time U pendant?... its USELESS for a first time Nuke/possible 2nd depending on MP but come on... anyone who uses that pendant full time is lazy/stupid, not hard to macro it in or equip it...
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-03-09 09:40:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree Leey, in my opinion I think uggy and sorc ring should be used more for manaburning situations. Ok yea you may use it for dynamis but if a mob cant be nuked down enough without those things, those blm's need to merit their potency and elemental skill... Like in another post, 2 blm can nuke 1 statue and you should have plenty of other blm's to nuke others etc. though I'm talking lvl 75 blm's, i'm sure some ls's may have a few 65+ blm's and even they can be that extra nuke to kill of the mob.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-03-09 10:03:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Danagon said:

There absolutely nothing wrong with going BLM/WHM. If your BLMs use Sorcerer's Ring then they should sub /RDM and its a different story. If your BLMs sub /RDM they better have their own damn reraise item. If they don't want to spring for the cost of one they should go /WHM. No exceptions.

Wooooodum said:
This means that no matter how much damage you do (with or without Sorcerer's Ring), unless you can one shot the statues, somebody else has to finish it off anyway. This makes the Sorcerer's Ring a bad choice unless it tips your equipment over the line and allows you to one shot the statues.

I completely disagree with Sorcerer's Ring being considered a bad choice. When I did Dynamis I always went BLM/RDM, always used Sorcerer's Ring, always had to use /blockaid on>.> (OCD WHMs FTL), and I died a lot less than the other BLMs. I did die yes, but it was not because I was at 75% HP. All BLMs die in Dynamis, to quote Fight Club "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

I soloed BLM from about Lv.35 all the way to 75. I know that if I cast a TierIV at the beginning of a fight I'm going to die so I don't. Its about playing the job smart and not playing it like "Oh! I have MP! I'm going to use my highest nuke next!"

I play the job defensively. I rest MP and the first thing I do after is cast Stoneskin/Blink(/Phalanx if I have time) before I do anything else. I'm not good to the group dead and a BLM can only take about 3-4 hits from any decent monster. Sleep mobs that need to be slept and toss a nuke if the current monster being fought is ~30%. I will occasionally throw an AMII on a crow when its the next mob being called which usually drops it to about 20% and helps prevent it getting off an AoE Silencega.
 Diabolos.Sovereign
Server: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-03-09 10:11:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:

Errr... can you please elaborate on what a BLM is going to do once they solo pop Temp? I agree with the rest, but BLM's and Temp don't mix.

If you think BLMs and Temperance dont mix, you havent been in Sea long enough.

As far as solo popping Temperance goes: There are two tricks to keeping yourself alive once he spawns. The first trick is all about location of the PH when it dies. Pull the PH from the alcove to the opposite side of the kite room before you kill it. Thus, when the PH dies you will be more that 50' from the alcove, and should Temperance spawn, he will spawn unclaimed and de-aggroed.

The second trick basically involves how to keep it from despawning until your linkshell arrives to help kill it. There are only two methods that I can think of: 1. Continually sac it, or 2. "pin" it.

"Pinning" is a type of kiting that can be used when you have a fairly large circular kiting zone (in this case, the square room in the towers). When you are directly across from a mob seperated by a circular obstacle (for example you are at 12 o'clock and the mob is at 6 o'clock), the mob is forced to choose between going clockwise or going counter-clockwise. The AI is extremely poor at choosing the right direction.

First you need to get Temperance out of the alcove and into the kiting room to attempt a pin. The only safe way to do this is with Elemental Seal - Gravity. The rest is very difficult to accomplish without Herald's Gaiters, but it can be done.

When you have reached this point where Temperance is directly across from you, find the nearest pillar (there is 1 at each of the 4 corners of the kiting area). When you hit the pillar, switch directions, run a few steps and watch - Temperance will switch it's directions as well and start running that way. Now switch again when it switches - it will switch with you! Keep repeating this, keeping in mind to ONLY move 1-2 steps in each direction before switching again. Try to get your timing down. Once gravity wears, if you do this correctly, it will get stuck and can't pick a direction as long as you keep this up - hence the term "pinning".

Now, concerning the actual kill... Most people already know Temperance will take 0 dmg from nukes. What most do not know, however, is that utilizing the WAR merit ability Tomahawk will allow your BLMs to nuke Temperance for partial damage (200-400 dmg Tier 4s). With a good kite team and at least one WAR, your mages can zerg nuke Temperance during the duration of Tomahawk. In fact, Tomahawk reduces Temp's defense to all damage types. So everyone in your alliance is able to zerg it during Tomahawk. No more waiting for it to change forms. Where Temperance could become a mess real quickly, rotating the Tomahawk ability basically turns this fight down to a 6 minute zerg-fest.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-09 10:15:55
Link | Quote | Reply

That's, er... That's not soloing is it?

lol
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-09 10:19:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Hypnotizd said:
I completely disagree with Sorcerer's Ring being considered a bad choice. When I did Dynamis I always went BLM/RDM, always used Sorcerer's Ring, always had to use /blockaid on>.> (OCD WHMs FTL), and I died a lot less than the other BLMs. I did die yes, but it was not because I was at 75% HP. All BLMs die in Dynamis, to quote Fight Club "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

I soloed BLM from about Lv.35 all the way to 75. I know that if I cast a TierIV at the beginning of a fight I'm going to die so I don't. Its about playing the job smart and not playing it like "Oh! I have MP! I'm going to use my highest nuke next!"

I play the job defensively. I rest MP and the first thing I do after is cast Stoneskin/Blink(/Phalanx if I have time) before I do anything else. I'm not good to the group dead and a BLM can only take about 3-4 hits from any decent monster. Sleep mobs that need to be slept and toss a nuke if the current monster being fought is ~30%. I will occasionally throw an AMII on a crow when its the next mob being called which usually drops it to about 20% and helps prevent it getting off an AoE Silencega.

:\

Is anyone bothering to actually read what I'm saying? ;-;
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-03-09 10:23:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:

Yes, you are saying having MAB+10 is bad because you cant one shot a statue. I disagree and saying better Damage/MP ratio is worth it.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-09 10:25:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Hypnotizd said:
Wooooodum said:

Yes, you are saying having MAB+10 is bad because you cant one shot a statue. I disagree and saying better Damage/MP ratio is worth it.

That's not what I said at all...
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10