BLMs, Please Listen.

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » BLMs, Please listen.
BLMs, Please listen.
First Page 2 ... 8 9 10
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-09 00:03:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, so, this is for the young in heart (not the leet, they know this already) and unfamilar with this job. This topic is being told in this thread but I wish to not derail this thread too much.

If you are a BLM who is endgame. Please respond by placing your message to the newbies.

If you are a BLM who is a newbie, please, listen to sage advice.

Here it goes:

Korpg said:
Aledacia said:
Depending on what you're doing...

Merits. 8/8 Enfeeb, 5/5 Para II, 4/5 Slow II, 1/5 Phalanx II.

Use AF tabard + AF head or Elite Beret/+1 + Enfeebling/Spider Torque for Enfeebs.

MND Set - Paralyze/II, Slow/II: Sapphire Ring x2, Errant/Mahatma Slops, Devotee's Mitts/+1, Errant/Mahatma Pigaches, Rainbow Cape, Al Zahbi Sash/Penitent's Rope/Witch Sash. Just to name a few. Theres better stuff, but they cost more. ^^

INT Set - Gravity, Dispel, Poison, Bio I-III, Bind: Diamond Ring x2, Errant/Mahatma Slops, Errant/Mahatma Gloves, Errant/Mahatma Pigaches, Rainbow Cape, Al Zahbi Sash/Penitent's Rope/Witch Sash...

MND+ helps Para and Slow land more plus increases potency - particularly noticeable with Para.

INT+ helps Gravity, Dispel, Poison, Bio, Bind and other elemental/dark-based enfeebs/DoT's land.

MP Set - Intensifying Cape, Hierarch Belt, Serket Ring, Ether Ring, LV62 & LV70 RSE (in some cases), Astal/Insomnia/Antivenom Earrings, Hedgehog Bomb, Staff Strap, and so on.

Enfeebling Torque by far has to be the best investment I made in RDM. +Skill really helps, but in the long run you're gonna want to use Torque, AF bod, and Elite Beret/Duelist's Chapeau at maximum for +skill. +Stat for everywhere else.

Meripo or healing situations, focus on MP+ and maybe a healing Torque, along with Errant/Mahatma Bod + legs.

Wise head, pants and gloves may be beneficial in some circumstances, but personally I don't use them.

During Events, if you're /WHM, focus on healing, Slow, Para (switich between MP & MND sets as appropriate) refresh/phalanx II if you're in BLM PT... - unless they actually give you something in particular to do that differs from that. Slow II and Para II help a lot.

/BLM is most likely gonna be for things like Dynamis, maybe Einherjar... Sleepga, Sleep II, Sleep takes priority, other than that, enfeeb mobs, refresh/phalanx II if you're in BLM PT...

If you're in a DD PT, Haste, Refresh(if DRK, BLU, PLD etc) all members...heals, bar-ra spells as needed and so on. >_>

I can go on to DD and tanking sets if you want. >_>

I agree with Aledacia on all but the bolded points.

Reason 1: Find out who's your main RDM in your shell (if endgame and events) and ask them what their merits are. Whatever your main RDM has, don't merit it for the shell. If you don't have an endgame shell, then merit whatever you want. Go 6/6 spells if you feel like it.

Reason 2 (both parts in the same sentence): In merit and healing situations, healing magic skill doesn't really help at all. You will be hitting cap if your MND is up there anyway (and if your healing magic is below 120 when you dinged 75, wtf have you been doing in your parties anyway?) Don't just work on MP+ though. Work on Enmity - also, so that emergancy cure bomb won't land you on the ground face first.

Reason 3: No matter what, your sleepga in any situation will suck. If you are in a BLM party, you are not going to sleep ***, except maybe something with a Sleep II (if somebody is stupid enough to have /autoattack on still in events like that). Sleepga II > all. Einherjar = BLMs use ES + Sleepga. Even when I was the only BLM in this one run for Einherjar (which was a pain in the ***, I had to D2 30 people afterwards) I still had a great sleep rate over RDMs and SCHs in the same group. Without ES also (using ES ment that they slept for a lot longer, which ment that they didn't rape me when they woke up afterwards). The time for RDMs to sleep ***is over. BLMs > all.

Oh, and another thing. Who ever uses Phalanx II on a BLM? Any BLM worth his/her salt would have /RDM. Let the BLM cast his own Phalanx (saves you MP, and helps them survive on their own).

Korpg said:
Aledacia said:
@Reason #3, I've never had a problem with my sleepgas, but that could be due to 314 Enfeebling Magic & lots of +INT... I've rarely done Dynamis where the BLM's are the ones doing sleepga (or are good at it). =/

@Phalanx thingy - almost always the BLM's I've done events with are /WHM because they're too cheap to buy reraise items.

I do agree with asking your shell's main RDM about their merits. I'm my shell's main RDM at the moment so I didn't even think of that. @_@ Personally I <3 my Phalanx 2, Slow 2, Para 2 and Blind 2 merits...taking out Dia 3 and Bio 3 so I can enhance my enfeebs.

~~~

Earth 2/5, Ice 2/5, Wind 1/5 potencey and 5/5 Convert merits are the way to go if you're doing a wide span of events and soloing.

Taru RDM... may wanna do 4/8 HP and 4/8 MP merits. 8/8 Enfeeb, 8/8 Enhancing. 4/8 Spell Interuption Rate will help too.

Strange that your BLMs can't sleep ***. I have my usual setup (i.e. really cheap gear) of Iqira or however you spell it head/legs + AF body just for enfeebs (no torque) and 1/8 enfeeb merits (working on Elemental merits atm, then will do Enfeeb, but....) and I rarely get resists on anything, dynamis/ein-wise.

You should yell at your BLMs to buy a RR earring (or not die) and sub RDM. It works wonders... Really cheap gear still gives you about 90% accuracy rate on enfeebs, and merits takes care of the rest.

Aledacia said:
Yeah its kind of sad actually. A lot of the time at least one of the following things happens, at least in Dynamis shells I've been in;

A. BLM's don't have Sleepga II, usually because they sold it upon getting it.
B. BLM's can't land Sleeps of any kind...
C. BLM's refuse to Sleepga, and say let the RDM's do it, because they don't want to die. (Even if there are off-tanks.)
D. Don't know how to sleep/target something that isn't being pulled. (Gogogo Sleepga 1 the front of the Sandy AH while we're pulling from the East Ronfaure gate. -.-)

I've been in maybe two-three shells where BLM's actually Sleepga -> nuke. Generally, everyone relies on the RDM's to do it.

Thus, I'm thinking of getting Hermes Sandals so I can pull on COR, instead of playing RDM and wanting to /wrists every run. =D

Now, there is a lot of info that doesn't count towards BLMs (like RDM merits, but that was why this thread was made) but still, if you can see what the problems lie, then you will realize what we are talking about.

So again, please say what you want to say. This is a discussion (and gripe session if you want it to be) of what newb BLMs should know now.

Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

This is definitely a problem. I don't mean to sound like an elitist or anything(if I am) but Dynamis is one of those touchy events where a run can be ruined by people not doing their jobs/don't listen.

I'm nice when I call out BLM's on the problems I stated...I don't *** or anything, because I know what its like to be new to Dynamis. We all know what its like. What infuriates me, is when I try to explain to a BLM why they need to do something differently etc... I get the "you're not a BLM, this is how BLM's play the game, so shut up and let me do my job" response, even if I'm a sack or pearlholder. That kind of disrespect in itself is unacceptable in a linkshell, of course.

And sure its how BLM play the game...(kite nuking)...but Dynamis is different than PTing or soloing. Its a team effort, and everyone has a role to play, everyone plays a part in the much bigger puzzle that is Dynamis (Or einherjar, or sky, or sea, or HNM, etc etc.)

I'm one of those people who takes out the time to write a Dynamis Guide on the LS website for people, or talk in /tell with people who are new to events, but generally they laugh and throw it in my face and do things the way they want to do, instead of being a team player. On a few occasions people have responded to me with sexist remarks such as "you don't know anything you're a girl, girls can't run events or shells".

I don't know if its just Bahamut players, newer players, or what, but is driving me damn crazy.

At first I thought maybe it was Level Sync ruining players, but even some players that have been playing for a while are like this. ._. Mostly its the disrespect and inability to listen/be a team player that annoys me, I know not all BLM's are like that... But there is seriously a problem here.

>.> I feel better now.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-03-09 00:24:05
Link | Quote | Reply

As a blm (first job main) i have never seen a ls tell the rdm's to sleepga mobs. Yes a few may get resisted but that's why you have elemental seal and 2 sleepga spells, bards, and if a rdm is /blm they can help if its all getting resisted. if one resists, try again with elem. seal. Depending on types of mob also...blm's cannot sleep undead, bards and whm can.

whoever has those ls's with blm's saying they dont sleepga need to be shot one by one....

A ls member was just in a pt with a blm who couldnt afford sleep spell...always have the most important spells. If someone had did the quest for sleepga 2 and sold it, oh well buy it again. If you really wanna be a blm you need to learn to be one.

It kinda erks me that some players just dont wanna die, guess what you are going to die as blm and u have to live with it. time your nukes, use your common sense with the surrounding mobs, etc. Stun then sleep if u have to. don't run. stoneskin/blink are your friend, use it.

I rarely ever get resisted on a sleep for over 1+ yrs now, and I hardly use any enfeebling gear as it is. but some gear does help, but know your mobs. Learn your events, learn what your job is.

There's probably a shitload more of stuff that ppl can add to this.
 Fenrir.Alijah
Server: Fenrir
user: Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-03-09 00:31:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Im in the middle of running a salvage zone so I cant read this thing in it's entirety but I do have something to add for BLMs, that has nothing to do with dyna.

UGGA PENDANT IS NOT FOR FULL TIME! zomg!

For the first 49% of your MP, that ugga pendant is useless. Useless! Begin your nukes in Elemental torque or even a cheap Philomath Stole off the AH, even that is more useful than an Ugga when you're > than 51%.

And thats all I got, for now :3
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-03-09 00:40:33
Link | Quote | Reply

lol I agree. I don't think an uggy or a sorc ring is full time wear.

For what a blm job is, it is NOT to kite nuke.... you die faster that way, lose aggro, cause other ppl to take damage if the mob has a aoe of some sort, can change hate to another fast also. The only time I ever see for kite nuking is some jailer's and some znm mobs... thats it. When I did dynamis, the blm's had the pt set and would nuke blue or green eyed first and continue with the other statues to nuke. I rarely ever saw a rdm sleepga them since blm's should nuke em fast. Ls's are different nowadays, thrs always different ways to do it.
 Seraph.Goldey
Server: Seraph
user: Goldey
By Seraph.Goldey 2009-03-09 01:04:25
Link | Quote | Reply

What always makes me cringe is to see a BLM in dynamis nuke a stone and be face down on the floor 3 seconds later. If this is a thread about what newer BLMs should know it's that Stoneskin/Blink/Phalanx are your friends at any event. If they take a hit recast them as soon as you can. It saves lives. Trust me.

Also, its important to know when to go big and when to be conservative. If its a 3 mob pull, you may want to simply sleep 1 mob and hold it as your own. If your support cant keep 1 other mob slept while DDs take care of the other you are in trouble. I've been in a few situations where the alliance wiped and I was the last one standing keeping my Kindred Dark Knight slept (There was at least 5 BLMs that run and was only a 4 or 5 demon pull with 1 eye Pick-up dyna ftw! >.<) Don't get me wrong sometimes you gotta go for the ES sleepga on 8 mobs and you probably will die, but dont overextend yourself if you don't have to.

Just my 2 cents.

BLM's also need to remember that they can run away mid-nuke so they don't get hit. =x

Freeze II -> pull hate -> mob chases -> start casting Burst II -> get two-shotted... (No, thanks.) For some reason, they seem to think they don't need to run when stones get close. o-o;

No one will get mad if you interrupt your casting to live!
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-03-09 01:22:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Aledacia said:
Yeah its kind of sad actually. A lot of the time at least one of the following things happens, at least in Dynamis shells I've been in;

A. BLM's don't have Sleepga II, usually because they sold it upon getting it.
B. BLM's can't land Sleeps of any kind...
C. BLM's refuse to Sleepga, and say let the RDM's do it, because they don't want to die. (Even if there are off-tanks.)
D. Don't know how to sleep/target something that isn't being pulled. (Gogogo Sleepga 1 the front of the Sandy AH while we're pulling from the East Ronfaure gate. -.-)

I've been in maybe two-three shells where BLM's actually Sleepga -> nuke. Generally, everyone relies on the RDM's to do it.

Thus, I'm thinking of getting Hermes Sandals so I can pull on COR, instead of playing RDM and wanting to /wrists every run. =D

A: BLMs don't have Sleepga2 because they sold it? Guess its time to go farming and buy it back. Level another character to 10, get the reputation and flag the quests. It's not the linkshells responsibility to re-buy a sold scroll for a player. If they're too lazy to get a very much needed and mandatory spell for their job, they shouldn't be playing it at all.

B: BLMs can't land sleepga? Goto besieged as BLM/WHM and spam Dia/DiaII until your enfeebling is capped. Use AF1 Body, Spider/Enfeebling Torque, Igqira Head/Legs and Dark/Pluto's Staff. Then work on merits and get enfeebling 8/8. It's not hard to land enfeebling magic if you put just a little effort into it.

C: BLMs refuse to sleepga because they dont want to die? Tell them to use Stoneskin/Blink/Phlanx(if/RDM). Their sleepga timer will be up way before the mobs wake up. IF they resist, BLMs have 4 ways to sleep mobs. Sleep/Sleepga/SleepII/SleepgaII. There are no excuses for not being able to sleep a mob. If nothing else, Bind or Gravity (if /RDM)

D: This is really not something that you can deal with as far as advice. Dumb players are dumb. Either they will learn or if they are causing disruption/wipes/whatever in the linkshell they should be removed. It's not hard to see what mobs are being called, which mobs are chasing players and which mobs need to be slept.
 Shiva.Aaralyn
Server: Shiva
user: Aaralyn
By Shiva.Aaralyn 2009-03-09 01:40:40
Link | Quote | Reply

My dyna ls has RDM at main sleep. If for some reason something goes wrong, the BLM's are then to sleepga 2. Luckily, my dyna ls has 'elite' BLM's, so resists and not having sleepa 2 isn't a problem. Then the BLM's focus on nuking the same statue after statue, while the rest of the alliance take care of everything else. Normally all statues are dead and we then assist the PLD and nuke/stun the other mobs.

In dyna, if you can feel a full alliance wipe coming (trust me, you'll know when one is coming), don't be afraid that you'll pull hate by using sleepga 2. Scenario 1, you'll get resisted and die. Scenario 2, sleepga will land, but they'll wake up and you'll still die. Scenario 3, you'll land sleepga and have just become the hero, buying the ls time to get their priorities straight and perhaps even unweaken, saving lots of time to instead recover from a full alliance wipe. Allowing you to continue on with killing mobs and possibly getting that relic drop you've wanted ever since level 1. :D

On another note..

BLM is the job I've died most on. Even waiting until the mob (mobs in general, not just dyna) is at a little less than half hp, I still sometimes get hate even with just tier 3 nukes. If played right, BLM is a very powerful job, and whether nuking like crazy or not, you are going to draw hate. Much like any other job, if played right..

I'm not saying you should try and get as much hate as you can. You should try to not get hate. I'm saying that it does happen, and sometimes you'll die. Something you just have to get over, if you to want to be taken seriously, as any job. Not just BLM.

If mobs obviously need to be slept, for christ sake, sleep the mobs. You have the magic ability for a reason.

Bottom line. You will die. Get over it. You have sleep spells, use them. Pay attention to what gets you hate. If dying is really a problem for you, paying attention to what gets you hate will help lower your chances of dying significantly.

Man alive I'm tired. But I can't fall asleep. Quickly, someone cast sleep on me please. :x Srsly.

/equip main "Pluto's Staff"
/equip neck "Enfeebling Torque"
/equip body "Warlock's Tabard"
/equip legs "Errant Slops"
/equip back "Rainbow Cape"
/equip waist "Al Zabhi Sash"
/ma "Sleep II" Aaralyn

>.>
<.<

On a serious note. >_>

Totally agree with Hypnotizd.

Personally I'm a fan of RDM main sleeps for Dynamis, but thats mainly because /WHM is boring and I generally don't get to do Dynamis with good BLM's. ._. I've done city Dynamis' before where I'm the only Sleepga-er, and the BLM's won't cast sleep even when asked. 1 Sleeper worked until East & West Ronfaure gates were both link pulled. =x Sucks, but it happens. >.>

Generally 2-3 RDM/BLM's in Dynamis can take care of sleeps, as long as they remember to overwrite Sleepga with Sleep II - especially PLD and WHM mobs. With the right jobs in Dynamis, the RDM's can help nuke statues (especially in links), I for one have taken to soloing statues in places like Dynamis-Bastok, on the side of the AH that pops like 4 statues. =x RDM/BLM's to do sleeps and help nuke helps a lot... But chances are, most shells aren't gonna have the number of RDM's needed for so many RDM's to even go /BLM.

Most shells I've gone with like to have RDM's as healers in PT's, or do RDM WHM x4 DD or tank per PT. When you get into the x2-3 alliance Dynamis runs...you're talking about needing around 6 RDM/WHM's and 2-3 RDM/BLM's at least. I dunno about y'all, but I'd prefer more Damage Dealers than an over-abundance of RDM's, unless we're low on BLM's/SCH's of course. =x I don't think I've ever seen a dynamis run where we had anymore than five RDM's total, though, even in a group of ~40+ people.

Perhaps leaders, RDM's & BLM's need to focus on formulating plans per dyna run once seeing who all comes up. :( I hate having to get D2'd out of Dynamis so I can change to RDM/BLM, JUST because the BLM's aren't sleeping. ._.
 Diabolos.Sovereign
Server: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-03-09 02:18:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The only tip you'll ever need to properly play BLM:

LEARN TO SOLO.

And I'm not talking about a too-weak mob you can melee with your ice staff. I'm talking go to sea, and solo quest your obis. Solo your relaxing earring. Solo Fortitude and Ix'MNK trigger sets. When you get better at enfeebling, you can start solo popping Ix'DRG, Ix'DRK, and Temperance while your LS is out farming somewhere else. Sea is by far the best training ground for learning to solo BLM.

If you dont have sea access, you can farm Diorite in sky for the same difficulty level of solo.

You will soon realize how much stronger of a BLM you become in group environments once you've learned to effectively solo.
[+]
 Remora.Petite
Server: Remora
user: Petite
By Remora.Petite 2009-03-09 02:30:12
Link | Quote | Reply

In the Dynamis shell I'm in, blm are the primary sleepers. We typically try to keep at least one of us ahead of the group right behind the puller. After a statue is tagged and the ads pop, the ads will outrun the statue back toward the group. Sleepga is dropped after the ads are distanced from the statue so it won't be hit by the sleepga.

Our blm crew has been playing together for awhile, so we're pretty experienced at working with each other. With excellent feeb gear and full merits, resists still happen...especially on a few specific NM's...or Pld, or Whm. The question isn't whether things will go wrong or not, but how you deal with them when they do.

I saw somebody say something about killing mp/hp statues first before continuing to other statues...unless you're running with 2 blm to clear statues and they're both down to their last leg, that makes no sense. Kill the other statues first then replenish MP spent killing the others with the MP stat. HP stats should also come toward the end of a mass, so as to send the melee into the next pull ready to go.

Stoneskin/Blink/Phalanx...Yes/Yes/Yes...use them. Also, learn which mobs are aspirable. You won't always have an MP stat incoming. Hint: Pets.
If you have a drg mob in line to be killed, get a sleepga I ready. As soon as it starts taking damage, it will pop it's Wyvern. Sleepga > Aspir > Move-on.

If you have just put a sleepga on more than 5 mobs (depending on how many mobs your melee can effectively burn through) you should probably distance yourself from the pack. Unless you're dealing with demons, going to 30+ range will allow you to be out of any casting range and will give you plenty of time to react if a large mass of mobs all wake at the same time pissed at you...if it's demons, GL and hope for the best lol.

Basically, if you're afraid of dying then you probably shouldn't be doing Die-namis. Getting a buffer is easy enough at Puddings, even when it's somewhat crowded. In a good shell, you may be lucky enough to get R3's most of the time, but if there's a full wipe, take your R1 and don't whine about it or use an RR-Pin if you don't want to be eatting R1's.

Sorcerer's Ring...no it is not a full time piece...sorta'. I do use it for all of my nukes, but for sleeps I use Balrahn's in its place for added Macc (based on recent testing with ele magic acc, Snow ring may provide 1 more Macc than Balrahn's depending on INT check, but when in doubt, Omega ring is supreme). I kind of like being down around 80% (after ZMitts) after a nuke...it reminds me to use drain, the most MP efficient/low-hate spell we can cast in Dynamis. Get an Anrin Obi if you have Sea access! I'm too tired to go on with this...
 Remora.Petite
Server: Remora
user: Petite
By Remora.Petite 2009-03-09 02:32:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Sovereign said:

LEARN TO SOLO.

You will soon realize how much stronger of a BLM you become in group environments once you've learned to effectively solo.

Yeah, this too.
 Asura.Moonglow
user: Moonglow
By Asura.Moonglow 2009-03-09 02:35:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Till BLMs learn to play on thier own and can solo VT or harder mobs... they will never learn how to play in a party set up (endgame) with out having thier hand held the whole way. So BLMs if your 50+ dont be afraid to go and exp on your own... you dontneed a party holding your hand to learn your job. After you can achive that and you still have questions.. I will be more then willing to offer my 2gils. Good luck and Happy Casting
 Fenrir.Shindo
user: Shindo
By Fenrir.Shindo 2009-03-09 02:45:29
Link | Quote | Reply

BLMs really showed up without sleepga II? I may not be the best player, but even I made sure to have every spell possible in advance when I leveled SCH.

You know I've never had a problem with BLMs in Dynamis. It was mostly like some idiot DD attacks Orc NMs. All the BLMs I ran with were very good. If you've had bad BLMs I feel for you. I know how important they're supposed to be to a run. Of course the only mage I have is SCH and I imagine if I ever took it to dynamis I wouldn't be nuking or sleeping anyways.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-09 03:00:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Sovereign said:

LEARN TO SOLO.

And I'm not talking about a too-weak mob you can melee with your ice staff. I'm talking go to sea, and solo quest your obis. Solo your relaxing earring. Solo Fortitude and Ix'MNK trigger sets. When you get better at enfeebling, you can start solo popping Ix'DRG, Ix'DRK, and Temperance while your LS is out farming somewhere else. Sea is by far the best training ground for learning to solo BLM.

If you dont have sea access, you can farm Diorite in sky for the same difficulty level of solo.

Errr... can you please elaborate on what a BLM is going to do once they solo pop Temp? I agree with the rest, but BLM's and Temp don't mix.

Shindo said:
BLMs really showed up without sleepga II? I may not be the best player, but even I made sure to have every spell possible in advance when I leveled SCH.

I've had a few BLM's that didn't have Sleep/Sleep II/Sleepga as well.

"Its too expensive."
"I shouted but couldn't get help with it."
"I don't have any friends so I couldn't get help."
"I got it and sold it."

Are the most common excuses I hear.

Here, we have those kind of BLM's, the BLM's that suck and think they know as much as an Elite Done Everything BLM, and then we have a few scarce good/good personality BLM's on this server. I honestly sometimes think its a server thing, or a "job" thing. A lot of BLM's I've met here are either A. Dumb or B. really nasty elitists (98% of which don't have the gear or EXP to act like an elitist.) >_>

I actually started looking for SCH's instead of BLM's, for my shell. Most SCH's I've done Dyna with out-DMG the BLM's anyway. =/
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-09 03:16:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Sucks to be in Bahamut then.

I was the only BLM in this one Einhinhar or however you spell it. We had ghosts as the second wave. The puller accidently pulled all ghosts in the zone.

We didn't wipe though, I died like 3 times in that wave, but we didn't wipe, thanks to my Sleepga II and ES + Sleepga II (and the fact that I ran away like a school girl being chased by a pedrofile)

But still, Sleepga II saves
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-09 03:39:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
Sucks to be in Bahamut then.

I was the only BLM in this one Einhinhar or however you spell it. We had ghosts as the second wave. The puller accidently pulled all ghosts in the zone.

We didn't wipe though, I died like 3 times in that wave, but we didn't wipe, thanks to my Sleepga II and ES + Sleepga II (and the fact that I ran away like a school girl being chased by a pedrofile)

But still, Sleepga II saves
My first Einherjar LS kinda sucked, if half the room was pulled (which is easy to do accidentally in Einherjar) then BLM's and BRD's would start dying from resisted sleeps. The LS I do Einherjar with now generally just pulls the whole *** room on purpose. The brd's and blm's don't have issues keeping everything slept, and the DD's tear through mobs faster as well.

I don't actually have a point to this comment, just that OD rawks ^^
 Fairy.Basilo
Server: Fairy
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2009-03-09 05:35:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing wrong with using sorc ring for dynamis, nor is there anything wrong using uggy for 1st nuke, and nukes under 50%mp. Reason im able to 1 shot most namis statues is the sorc ring just tips it to allow me to do 1k+ dmg. Ive been in a dynamis shell long enough to know our blms on the whole know how to play their part. Still dont understand what you hoped to achieve from the thread, i read blms please listen and you drone on about rdm merits for the best part of your post.
 Fenrir.Korruption
By Fenrir.Korruption 2009-03-09 06:04:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont quite see whats wrong with using sorc ring fulltime? I use it full time, then again, I know my limits.
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-09 06:26:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Korruption said:
I dont quite see whats wrong with using sorc ring fulltime? I use it full time, then again, I know my limits.

In events where monsters could potentially 1-3 shot you, knocking off over 25% of your HP isn't the brightest idea. Dynamis is the classic example since there's so many ways of dying as a Black Mage there. It's just counter productive and only for higher numbers.
 Cerberus.Saiya
Server: Cerberus
user: Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-03-09 06:48:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the comments about Sorc Ring not being full-time is when there are other pieces better suited for the spell you're casting.

Magic Attack Bonus is useless for Enfeebling, but this gets back to that old hash about BLMs not having alternate gear to swap in for different spells. It's useless for buffs, and also for curing if you want to specialise to that extent.

But yeah, if you're nuking I see no reason to equip the Sorcerer's Ring.

@Basilo: From a pure effectiveness point of view... there is something 'wrong' with using the Uggy Pendant for your first nuke... it's a null piece. It gives no benefit at all.

In high-demand endgame situations, to be taken seriously as a BLM you have to show you're serious, that's all. It's all very well saying that it's picky & elitist to expect certain things... but if you don't like that your Endgame/Dyna LS has expectations of you as a BLM, then you're with the wrong people. You need to find a more relaxed shell (but generally you won't be as successful in one of those, these expectations are what get good results).

Weigh up which is more important in your mind, but if you're doing events with people you should show willingness to give the same committment that they have. Or find people that don't have those expectations.

Something sensible in there hopefully >,>
 Fenrir.Korruption
By Fenrir.Korruption 2009-03-09 06:50:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I've low manned, and still use mine. I've died yes, but thats part of the fun. If I get enough hate,its not going to matter between getting hit one more time to kill me, as opposed to knocking off more of the mobs hp before I die.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-09 06:55:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I would've thought the point would be all the more poignant when low manning Dynamis. How is that "part of the fun", because with low man, it must hamper your team quite a considerable amount?
 Cerberus.Saiya
Server: Cerberus
user: Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-03-09 06:56:43
Link | Quote | Reply

In my experience considering how hard mobs hit, the 25%~ isn't going to make many odds. If you missed a trick, or stand in the wrong place, and Blink/Stoneskin aren't enough, i'd say you're a gonner regardless of the yellow HP. XD
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-09 06:58:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiya said:
But yeah, if you're nuking I see no reason not to equip the Sorcerer's Ring.

Fixed for you Saiya =P
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-09 06:59:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Saiya said:
In my experience considering how hard mobs hit, the 25%~ isn't going to make many odds. If you missed a trick, or stand in the wrong place, and Blink/Stoneskin aren't enough, i'd say you're a gonner regardless of the yellow HP. XD

Being able to survive one extra hit will always give you more time to run away. This time could be used by somebody curing you, by you gaining ground on the statue chasing you, or by somebody else nuking or sleeping the monster. Taking off 25% of your hit points because you want to flaunt some higher numbers "for lols" is counter productive to you and your Dynamis group.

The only time Sorcerer's Ring is worth it in Dynamis is if it lets you one shot statues. Then I am all for it. Other than that, /no, and I make my Black Mage's take them off, unless they can one shot the statues with it.
 Fenrir.Korruption
By Fenrir.Korruption 2009-03-09 06:59:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Blm die, that will always be. May as well have a good time, or why else play this game. Things happen and I dont see a point in gimping my damage some, just to save myself 150 hp. More often then not, if I get enough hate to where I'm getting hit, I'm going to die regardless. I guess this argument is kinda pointless considering how everyone plays differently. I use sorc ring for every event. I also cap my xp, because I know I'm going to die.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-09 07:05:10
Link | Quote | Reply

It depends entirely on what sort of shell or group you're going with, I suppose. One that's either there to make the most of it and enjoy it as much as possible, or one that's main priority is on as many drops as possible. Being the leader of my shell, I swing towards the second option; I'm not a kill joy at all, but it's overall more productive to the team if they don't use the ring. As I said before, though, if it enables them to one shot a statue, brilliant.

Otherwise, it's -25%+ for essentially no difference. Okay, so it makes individual nukes higher. Doesn't stop the fact another Black Mage has to finish the statue off for you, which means this essentially is taking away 25%+ HP for nothing.

And, well... The overall welfare of my shell's runs is more important than one Black Mage's e-peen.
First Page 2 ... 8 9 10