Your Art Materials.

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
328 users online
Forum » Everything Else » Fan-Art » Your art materials.
Your art materials.
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Phoenix.Darki
Offline
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Darki
Posts: 9949
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 13:21:29
Link | Quote | Reply
 
I ordered last week some nice ink pens that have a brush tip, everyone does art at some level, I was wondering what art tools you guys use for your stuff?



I can't wait to try it out soon!

over here I focus a lot on graphite on paper, oil on canvas, ink and watercolors. traditional media.
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
Offline
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Sect
Posts: 3987
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-09-14 13:23:54
Link | Quote | Reply
 


+



=

[+]
 Bahamut.Seanna
Offline
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Seanna
Posts: 376
By Bahamut.Seanna 2010-09-14 13:24:32
Link | Quote | Reply
 


Mostly that's pretty much the art supplies I need for my scribbles and stick figures.
[+]
 Kujata.Daus
Offline
Server: Kujata
Game: FFXI
user: Daus
Posts: 3449
By Kujata.Daus 2010-09-14 13:32:53
Link | Quote | Reply
 


>.> + open canvas and photoshop

I do have traditional art supplies. Lots of prisma pencils, some tria markers, water color pencils, water colors, pastels...what I dont have is the impulse to clean up after Im done with everything :B so they tend to sit around collecting dust for a while.
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Offline
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Aurilius
Posts: 1726
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-09-14 13:34:43
Link | Quote | Reply
 
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Offline
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: vinvv
Posts: 15542
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-14 13:35:58
Link | Quote | Reply
 

this pretty much looks like my old set.
I haven't seen it in a couple years and it's probably buried somewhere at my dads house, other than that I have some other smaller pencil sets and smudge sticks and whatnot.
 Phoenix.Darki
Offline
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Darki
Posts: 9949
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 13:38:52
Link | Quote | Reply
 
@daus
kickass wacom, i have a cheap one that a friend gave me, i use it every once in a million years so never thought of improving.

@vin
lol i had one of those i loved them

i now have a full set of 72 prisma colors. expensive ***is expensive.

@sec
whut?
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
Offline
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Sect
Posts: 3987
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-09-14 13:40:12
Link | Quote | Reply
 
I'm a novelist :3

Generally, most of what I write isn't on lined paper though, I prefer unlined.

That is my binder full of notes/stories.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Offline
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: vinvv
Posts: 15542
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-14 13:40:30
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Phoenix.Darki said:
@daus
kickass wacom, i have a cheap one that a friend gave me, i use it every once in a million years so never thought of improving.

@vin
lol i had one of those i loved them

i now have a full set of 72 prisma colors. expensive ***is expensive.

@sec
whut?
yeah I wasted a lot of money on art in HS.
I mean I love it as a hobby, but taking it on as a profession kind of killed it for me.
 Phoenix.Darki
Offline
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Darki
Posts: 9949
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 13:42:33
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra said:
I'm a novelist :3

Generally, most of what I write isn't on lined paper though, I prefer unlined.

That is my binder full of notes/stories.

maybe you can pm me some stuff =) i love reading, i like writing poetry though.
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
@daus
kickass wacom, i have a cheap one that a friend gave me, i use it every once in a million years so never thought of improving.

@vin
lol i had one of those i loved them

i now have a full set of 72 prisma colors. expensive ***is expensive.

@sec
whut?
yeah I wasted a lot of money on art in HS.
I mean I love it as a hobby, but taking it on as a profession kind of killed it for me.

university killed my creativity over the floor. the break from it has been a good breather to restart it.
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
Offline
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Sect
Posts: 3987
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-09-14 13:43:54
Link | Quote | Reply
 
I've actually got a story on ffxiah already.

Here's a link to the pdf version.

I should really read through/edit that some day soon. It's probably so atrociously written lol
 Kujata.Daus
Offline
Server: Kujata
Game: FFXI
user: Daus
Posts: 3449
By Kujata.Daus 2010-09-14 13:44:47
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Ramuh.Vinvv said:

this pretty much looks like my old set.
I haven't seen it in a couple years and it's probably buried somewhere at my dads house, other than that I have some other smaller pencil sets and smudge sticks and whatnot.

wait...I think that was the set I used to have but lyk the materials sucked lol. It was like trying to color with roseart materials. But I really liked the wooden box even if it was gigantic.
 Phoenix.Darki
Offline
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Darki
Posts: 9949
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 13:49:29
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra said:
I've actually got a story on ffxiah already.

Here's a link to the pdf version.

I should really read through/edit that some day soon. It's probably so atrociously written lol
ill read it tonight! <3
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Offline
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Aurilius
Posts: 1726
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-09-14 13:49:31
Link | Quote | Reply
 
My canvass tends to make money appear in my pockets and disappear in the pockets of the federal government. I guess I'm almost a magician.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Offline
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Jaerik
Posts: 3834
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-14 13:50:36
Link | Quote | Reply
 
I just use mechanical pencil on white printer paper. Then ink it in Photoshop. Although that's a bad example piece because I *($@'d up the line weight, so it's a little visually confusing. Probably why I never shaded or colored it.
[+]
 Siren.Demetreos
Offline
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Riggy
Posts: 1001
By Siren.Demetreos 2010-09-14 13:50:51
Link | Quote | Reply
 






I need to update to CS5 or whatever it's on now :/
 Ifrit.Genzousou
Offline
Server: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
Posts: 41
By Ifrit.Genzousou 2010-09-14 13:54:26
Link | Quote | Reply
 


Wayyyyy better than Rapidographs. (Never buy those. They wear out too fast and made of shoddy materials.)



Best ink out there. Most waterproof ink I can find and lightfast.




Soft leads, great for blending - but downside is the wood surrounding them sucks balls.



Most awesomesause lead holders EVAR!






Blow Prismacolor markers out of the water and have a airbrush system with them too!b You can also replace the color resiviors(sp) and pen nibs. They have a small nib and wide nib!

 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Offline
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Jaerik
Posts: 3834
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-14 13:56:18
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Because it looks like we have a lot of good artists here, do you might if I ask a technical question? In that bebe dragoon pic above, I tried doing line weight by "importance." That is, I made the external lines thickest and the internal ones thinnest. That seems to not be the way to do it. The result is visually confusing.

What should I have done instead? What's the "rule?" Does it depend on detail level and how far the line is from the camera? How would you guys have done it?

If this is sort of thread hijacking, I apologize. I'll take it elsewhere.
 Ramuh.Krizz
Offline
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Krizz
Posts: 23561
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-09-14 13:59:52
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
I just use mechanical pencil on white printer paper. Then ink it in Photoshop. Although that's a bad example piece because I *($@'d up the line weight, so it's a little visually confusing. Probably why I never shaded or colored it.
I remember you linking this before. I really like it.
 Siren.Demetreos
Offline
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Riggy
Posts: 1001
By Siren.Demetreos 2010-09-14 14:01:41
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Is there a thread for showing examples of work already? I don't want to make if there is. Or is it cool to just slam it here?
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Offline
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: vinvv
Posts: 15542
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-14 14:02:48
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Because it looks like we have a lot of good artists here, do you might if I ask a technical question? In that bebe dragoon pic above, I tried doing line weight by "importance." That is, I made the external lines thickest and the internal ones thinnest. That seems to not be the way to do it. The result is visually confusing.

What should I have done instead? What's the "rule?" Does it depend on detail level and how far the line is from the camera? How would you guys have done it?

If this is sort of thread hijacking, I apologize. I'll take it elsewhere.
I'm thinking that it might be just the position of the dragon for that.
Are you going to fully color this?
If you colorized the background that would eliminate the blank space near the dragon possibly making it appear a little better.

I know more about photography in regards to the rules sadly so maybe someone else might have something better to note on lol.
It all depends what you are going for really.
If anything you could make the background gray.
 Kujata.Erim
Offline
Server: Kujata
Game: FFXI
user: Erim
Posts: 704
By Kujata.Erim 2010-09-14 14:04:43
Link | Quote | Reply
 
I love lead holders. A lead holder with an assortment of different leads and inks was all I ever used. I love black and white and never really enjoyed coloring my work.

Black and white always felt so much more dramatic to me when I looked at the final piece.

I sorta gave up on drawing on paper though and do everything almost exclusively on a wacom pad now. Or I use to... I've broken two of them now. /cry
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Offline
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Jaerik
Posts: 3834
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-14 14:05:35
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Siren.Demetreos said:
Is there a thread for showing examples of work already? I don't want to make if there is. Or is it cool to just slam it here?
Maybe just PM it?

I don't want to hijack the thread.

(Edit: Oh, I assumed you meant "slam" as in slam my little dragoon pic. Heh.)
 Phoenix.Darki
Offline
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Darki
Posts: 9949
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 14:05:45
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Because it looks like we have a lot of good artists here, do you might if I ask a technical question? In that bebe dragoon pic above, I tried doing line weight by "importance." That is, I made the external lines thickest and the internal ones thinnest. That seems to not be the way to do it. The result is visually confusing.

What should I have done instead? What's the "rule?" Does it depend on detail level and how far the line is from the camera? How would you guys have done it?

If this is sort of thread hijacking, I apologize. I'll take it elsewhere.
what bebe pic above @.@

 Ramuh.Vinvv
Offline
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: vinvv
Posts: 15542
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-14 14:06:02
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Ifrit.Genzousou said:





Blow Prismacolor markers out of the water and have a airbrush system with them too!b You can also replace the color resiviors(sp) and pen nibs. They have a small nib and wide nib!

I want these lol
 Phoenix.Darki
Offline
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Darki
Posts: 9949
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 14:06:24
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Siren.Demetreos said:
Is there a thread for showing examples of work already? I don't want to make if there is. Or is it cool to just slam it here?
slam it here babe! i wanna look at art too
 Ifrit.Genzousou
Offline
Server: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
Posts: 41
By Ifrit.Genzousou 2010-09-14 14:07:40
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Hmmm I never had the chance to go to school for art so I'm not sure sure of any "rules" but what my insticts tell me that you bolded too many of the inner details. (

I.E. Got bold happy ^^. (Don't feel bad I do something like that a lot too when it looks good and end up using a technique *too* much.

Try thinning out the lines on the wyverns inner wings where the webbing is. Also, the creases on the armpit of the male. His eyebrow/eye too (draws too much attention to his eyebrow when you look at his face). And the (inside) flops of his hair I would get rid of the bolding too. I would also get rid of the thick lines on the shins of his boots (minus the outside) including the inside of the decorative kneepads.

Hope your can understand my jarble.

Overall though I really do like the pic. Very cute ^^ good job.
 Phoenix.Darki
Offline
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Darki
Posts: 9949
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 14:07:47
Link | Quote | Reply
 
copic is so expensive

gen ive never seen those steadler inkers, the purpose of this thread has been met, which was find new tools for myself lol thanks. they are probably expensive too, i have some steadlers that replace my graphite ones.
 Phoenix.Darki
Offline
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Darki
Posts: 9949
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 14:08:48
Link | Quote | Reply
 
WHAT BEBE PICTURE DAMN IT ; ;
 Phoenix.Darki
Offline
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Darki
Posts: 9949
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 14:09:13
Link | Quote | Reply
 
oh nvm.. now i clicked it. one sec as i respond
First Page 2 3 4 5
Log in to post.