Your Art Materials.

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Fan-Art » Your art materials.
Your art materials.
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Bahamut.Moehre
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: moehre
By Bahamut.Moehre 2010-09-14 15:24:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I have to say it is quite refreshing to see such a topic in FFXIAH xD
 Phoenix.Darki
Server: Phoenix
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 15:27:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Moehre said:
I have to say it is quite refreshing to see such a topic in FFXIAH xD
yeah
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 15:33:07
Link | Quote | Reply

loving art is so relaxing
 Valefor.Hahn
Server: Valefor
user: Hahn
By Valefor.Hahn 2010-09-14 15:40:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's another~
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 15:51:08
Link | Quote | Reply

yo my thread's dead!
 Sylph.Kaiye
Server: Sylph
user: Kaiye
By Sylph.Kaiye 2010-09-14 15:56:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Good old charcoal and canvas :) messy but I love the effect charcoal gives. Usually though I use just a normal pencil for sketches, doodles etc.

Gorgeous pic Hahn!
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 15:59:26
Link | Quote | Reply

nothing fixative can't fix~
pretty eyes btw =)
 Fenrir.Rinielenika
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Rinielenika 2010-09-14 16:04:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
This is why I'll never be as good as real artists. =D I keep wanting art to work by certain rules, like programming. Here's how perspective works, here's how line weight works, here's how shading works, here's how anatomy works, etc.

It's why I learned just enough about art to talk intelligently about it with artists, and work closely with them in games, but never really tried to do anything serious with it. I'll leave the truly creative stuff to you guys.

I highly disagree! Your work is very fantastic, it's just... giving yourself your own rules that you eventually follow. You learn what others do, how they compose and create their work, then figure out your own ways. What shapes do you see... what colors do you want expressed... I feel code can be a lot of the same way. Granted I completely suck at code (Im still very basic, and only in HTML and CSS, taking other classes for it right now)

But there are still some general basics, depending on what you want to make, that you will always follow because it makes sense. But how you make it your own and mold it into your own style makes it just more than strict rules.

I guess in a sense, it's like making a program. You have your basics you have to follow for it to function on an operating system... however, you can use all these basics to create whatever you want and make it work... and with new technology (or in this case, materials learned/used/etc), you can elaborate more and make nicer things?

Thats the best way I can put it.

Also, it is amazing to see how many artists are on here. Everyone is so good! I love sharing information and topics like this. I will keep checking in later tonight. :3 Have fun all!
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 16:09:19
Link | Quote | Reply

hey anyone who uses ink around here?
I need some pro tips, I've used that chinese bamboo thing with ink before, but now I'm gonna try that new brush I posted on the op, any pro tips?
and is there any better tools for inking? like the traditional caligraphy pens and all?
kind of lost there.
 Sylph.Hugs
Server: Sylph
user: Zaraspook
By Sylph.Hugs 2010-09-14 16:23:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally enjoy mixed media sculptures/metal sculptures. I'll have to get a pic up of one I am doing for a ladies new backyard (all scrap metal). I do paint as well, but I do get annoyed at how much stuff is beginning to cost at least around here. The only art supplies place around here is now Hobby Lobby, and because the other small shop closed down their prices have raised. I don't typically order online because I don't like to wait.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 16:24:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Hugs said:
I personally enjoy mixed media sculptures/metal sculptures. I'll have to get a pic up of one I am doing for a ladies new backyard (all scrap metal). I do paint as well, but I do get annoyed at how much stuff is beginning to cost at least around here. The only art supplies place around here is now Hobby Lobby, and because the other small shop closed down their prices have raised. I don't typically order online because I don't like to wait.

www.dickblick.com
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-14 16:25:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
hey anyone who uses ink around here?
I need some pro tips, I've used that chinese bamboo thing with ink before, but now I'm gonna try that new brush I posted on the op, any pro tips?
and is there any better tools for inking? like the traditional caligraphy pens and all?
kind of lost there.
I've used ink a few times in HS, had a specialized class where the teacher just let us do whatever and gave us the means to do what we wanted.
I like the ink quills and the dipping and what not, feels more authentic than an all in one.
 Kujata.Daus
Server: Kujata
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2010-09-14 16:56:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
anyone here into realism/naturalism? or am i the only freak on this world that still draws it among kids my age?

Ive really let my artisticness go 8( you dont use it you lose it...or well you stagger behind your peers..I started off doing realism..albeit of cute fluffy animals. Ive not found the time nor energy to put as much time and effort into art like I did when I was younger.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-14 17:10:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Daus said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
anyone here into realism/naturalism? or am i the only freak on this world that still draws it among kids my age?

Ive really let my artisticness go 8( you dont use it you lose it...or well you stagger behind your peers..I started off doing realism..albeit of cute fluffy animals. Ive not found the time nor energy to put as much time and effort into art like I did when I was younger.
Do what you like I say lol.
When I was briefly going to my art school I just focused more on the commercialization aspect of it and it ruined art for me, that's in regards to digital media of course.
I adore film photography.
You just can't beat that old darkroom feel and developing it by hand though.
Nowadays all the digital cameras and whatnot just don't involve passion anymore for me it feels like.
Developing film was a labor of love for me lol.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-15 17:22:55
Link | Quote | Reply

bump
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [260 days between previous and next post]
By zahrah 2011-06-02 16:31:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, my obliviousness strikes again! Nice to find this little gem of a thread!

/cheer

My preferences acrylics, charcoal, ink and watercolor...

(Yes, that is thread.)
[+]
 Bahamut.Aeronis
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-06-02 16:44:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm currently using prisma and charcoal to make my newest piece. Got inspiration for it from Bjork~ And yea, I still have a lot to do ._.
[+]
By zahrah 2011-06-02 16:47:02
Link | Quote | Reply

/high five

CHARCOAL!!!
 Bahamut.Aeronis
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-06-02 16:52:38
Link | Quote | Reply

zahrah said:
/high five

CHARCOAL!!!
(*'-')/ *hi-five* although I really would prefer to start using Maya to get experience for later on, but I can't afford it right now _(._. )_
 Asura.Alymorel
Server: Asura
user: Alimorel
By Asura.Alymorel 2011-06-02 16:54:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I use math.
By Kaerin 2011-06-03 18:11:25
Link | Quote | Reply

And of course some old fashioned pencils and paper.

EDIT: and......... I dunno why the pictures of cans of montana spray paint and caps aren't showing up =/
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2011-06-03 18:19:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I *** hate charcoal. Had to use it in this Drawing 101 class. I wanted to kill myself. I have to use it again for Life Drawing.
 Lakshmi.Hewison
Server: Lakshmi
user: Hewison
By Lakshmi.Hewison 2011-06-03 18:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Missed this gem of a thread too. I have to say I'm quite shocked, and pleased too, at the amount of people who do artsy fartsy stuff on this site.

Currently I use mostly free related software for digital stuff, such as MS Paint and The Gimp. I've used SAL, Photoshop and the like but never really got into them past the free trials. Ironically, some of my better stuff has been in MS Paint >.<

For traditional media, I have used and will use pretty much anything and everything. Overall though, I prefer sketches with a good old mechanical pencils and feel this really is my "comfort zone".
I very rarely colour in anything I do, with the expection of the past few months now that I've started doing stuff on my laptop. The main reason for this, excluding laziness, is because I hate mixing colours. I can never get the right colour I want. Mixing paint never works for me either. If I get a colour I'm slightly happy with, I end up not mixing enough of it.
Then there's the cost.
By zahrah 2011-06-03 19:11:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Hewison said:

Hewi!!!

/cheer
 Lakshmi.Hewison
By Lakshmi.Hewison 2011-06-03 19:36:24
Link | Quote | Reply

zahrah said:
Lakshmi.Hewison said:

Hewi!!!

/cheer

Zahrah!!!

/cheer
>:3
 Phoenix.Ingraham
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2011-06-03 19:42:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Printer paper and whatever no.2 pencil I can get my grubby hands on.

I do most things digital though, thanks to convenience (I don't have a scanner). This tablet I use is a real piece of pewp compared to even a Wacom Bamboo, but it gets the job done so sa'll good.
 Lakshmi.Hewison
By Lakshmi.Hewison 2011-06-03 20:14:52
Link | Quote | Reply

It sorta looks like it has loads of fancy short key buttons, which I imagine are useful. I wish I had shelled out an extra few bucks for one personally, would of made things a little easier.

Congrats on winning a Copper Prize in the 9th Anniversary Fan Art Contest btw!~
 Phoenix.Lyali
user: Lyali
By Phoenix.Lyali 2011-06-03 21:26:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
I *** hate charcoal. Had to use it in this Drawing 101 class. I wanted to kill myself. I have to use it again for Life Drawing.

Chalk pastels are a million times worse =( They're everything you hate about charcoal, but in color. Also you need expensive ones if you want any hope of ever blending anything. Then there's the the fact that you waste so much to dust. Which gets airborne. Then you're sneezing rainbows for a week.

Oil pastels are really nice though. =3 You can get a nice set for a reasonable price. It's like drawing with colored butter. (Not recommended for internal use. Please do not eat art supplies.)
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2011-06-03 21:40:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I really adored charcoal...it was messy as heck and one would inhale so much dust and other nastiness when using Fixative spray on it, but it's so expressive in creating subtle shades and chiaroscuro.

Really gets one thinking more about use of positive and negative space in compositions when using charcoal washes, much more than line-art. For me it really divorces the inherent left-brain need to define shapes first by lines, letting me think and approach a piece "backwards" in that regard by building up varying masses of background to describe foreground objects. I found it very liberating, especially for life drawing. :p
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2011-06-03 21:43:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Well it was a combination of charcoal and the fact that the professor was never pleased with any of our creations. No idea how I got a B in there.