Your Art Materials.

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Fan-Art » Your art materials.
Your art materials.
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Fenrir.Mtmoogle
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Bogamoga
By Fenrir.Mtmoogle 2010-09-14 14:46:38
Link | Quote | Reply

google images
 Phoenix.Darki
Server: Phoenix
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 14:48:52
Link | Quote | Reply

moe awesome work.
i still dont understand why art needs rules, even after studying it i believe anything is legit and goes!
Caitsith.Linear said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
anyone here into realism/naturalism? or am i the only freak on this world that still draws it among kids my age?

I like drawling landscapes. Either imaginative or real, although the former is more likely to be drawn.

i like portraits.

yes i drew it.
By Flionheart 2010-09-14 14:50:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Lots of brushes inside PS of course.
 Bahamut.Moehre
Server: Bahamut
user: moehre
By Bahamut.Moehre 2010-09-14 14:51:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
anyone here into realism/naturalism? or am i the only freak on this world that still draws it among kids my age?

This is actually a misconception. Art of nowadays does not consist on 100% abstract/ stylized figures or non-understandable light installations.

There are very good "realistic" artists. But the Romantic Portrait, which I believe you mean as "realistic art", does not exist anymore in itself. Though it is very much present in the art of the 21st century, it is usually used in an ironic/ sarcastic way of expressing a hidden message. Simply with the use of a completely unrelated title...
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 14:52:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Moehre said:
Phoenix.Darki said:

This is actually a misconception. Art of nowadays does not consist on 100% abstract/ stylized figures or non-understandable light installations.

There are very good "realistic" artists. But the Romantic Portrait, which I believe you mean as "realistic art", does not exist anymore in itself. Though it is very much present in the art of the 21st century, it is usually used in an ironic/ sarcastic way of expressing a hidden message. Simply with the use of a completely unrelated title...

agreed lol basicly what i was looking for. i guess ill have to stay happy with what is left of it.

just nowdays everything is a splash of colors and looks more cartoonish and free.
 Fenrir.Rinielenika
By Fenrir.Rinielenika 2010-09-14 14:54:33
Link | Quote | Reply

(OOPS I hit submit and not preview, sorry ><)

@Jaerik: I dunno how to explain how I do my lineart... I just do what feels right? Depending on what there is... more important things or areas... like where shading would likely go sometimes.... would be more bold. But area's of greater light would be thinner in line weight. If that even makes sense... even that I dont follow by very well. :/ Gosh I wish I could explain it... just area's that feel they should be thinner I will make thinner... as Im doing the line art, I also use the eraser a lot to make "lines" as well....

This is just for my style, mind you. I realy love your line art there, despite how you dont like it. The details are very lovely the way you captured them! I feel it works well with what you have there, anyways.... My lineart really isnt all that great compared to that, either... to be honest, lol. But yeah...

Here's an example of some of my lineart...

Fan Character I created based of FF9, "Kaeko Lalinka"

Old lineart I did of a 3D model I was going to make...

Contest Entry line art for a friends FFXI contest... based on a story they were writing.

Some of those are a little old, sorry. But that kinda gets the jist of it...

Anyways, re-railing.....
I use mostly my poor ol' wacom Graphire 2 in Paint Tool SAI (I LOVE THIS PROGRAM SO MUCH! Its super cheap, and a great painting tool and lineart tool as well). I am going to have to upgrade him soon, he's slowly dying... well not it in general, more like the pen is, and I cant find any replacements. It seems its a little out dated. So old and so tiny it is...

I enjoy drawing with mechanical pencils too, and use to be okay at markers... but I drifted away because I got too muddy with them. I want to try them again though. Along with other traditional mediums... Im okay at colored pencils too, I guess. I dunno... so much to learn!

uhm... yup. I wont spam out anymore. D: My arts are big... and obnoxious...
 Bahamut.Moehre
By Bahamut.Moehre 2010-09-14 14:57:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
moe awesome work.
i still dont understand why art needs rules, even after studying it i believe anything is legit and goes!

Thank you /blush

Everything in life needs rules. If you do not understand how to do it within the rules, then doing it against the rules has no meaning.

What is the fun of doing a messed up perspective, when you actually don't know how to do it correctly? Sure, a child can have innocent fun with it, but once you have done 200 of those drawings which you after a while desperately notice cannot capture correctly reality, you will get disappointed. Because in the end, we are human beings, and we need something to grab ourselves to, and we endlessly seek personal perfection (which in the end we will never achieve...). The knowledge and abandon of the "rules" is for example the value of Picasso.

Rules can be annoying, specially when you fail to understand them, they can be aggravating when they confine you to a dogma, but they can be your biggest asset when you want to be original.

Rules are actually your friend. You just need to see them as guidelines, not as shackles :)
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 14:58:25
Link | Quote | Reply

wow more of you please
beautifull smooth lines
defenately worth improving gear
 Valefor.Hahn
Server: Valefor
user: Hahn
By Valefor.Hahn 2010-09-14 14:58:51
Link | Quote | Reply

0.5 Mechanical pencil and my thumb.

2007 or something. I'm obsessed with shading.
 Fenrir.Rinielenika
By Fenrir.Rinielenika 2010-09-14 14:59:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
Bahamut.Moehre said:
Phoenix.Darki said:

agreed lol basicly what i was looking for. i guess ill have to stay happy with what is left of it.

just nowdays everything is a splash of colors and looks more cartoonish and free.

I draw mostly cartoons and like vibrant colors, but every now and again I love going back and doing traditional work with realism. My only problem with it, is I usually have to grid/stare at a photo for reference, and I feel its almost cheating to myself... hahahaha. Just to myself. I dont have anything against it, I just want to be able to do it free hand... which is freaking hard. Lol.

This is pretty old, but Im still pretty proud of it. I did it in high school. I dont have any good pictures of my recent realism works.... sorry. I gotta get down to the school with em' and take good photos of them :P

"The Jockey Rides" - My Final for Art 4 in high school
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-14 15:01:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
I can't do realism worth a damn -_-
I have went to school with several who completely blow me out of water for that.
But they had their own personal art shows and whatnot in HS.
My strong suite would probably be composition overall, but I guess that's a given since I am more knowledgeable about the many elements of photography.
 Fenrir.Rinielenika
By Fenrir.Rinielenika 2010-09-14 15:02:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
wow more of you please
beautifull smooth lines
defenately worth improving gear

Was that to me? If so.. thank you.... I appreciate it a lot ; ;
 Fenrir.Rinielenika
By Fenrir.Rinielenika 2010-09-14 15:03:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Hahn said:

This is awesome. I love smudging with my pencil.... but I got so use to making clean marks that I stopped doing it. I kinda miss it....
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 15:05:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Moehre said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
moe awesome work.

Thank you /blush

Everything in life needs rules. If you do not understand how to do it within the rules, then doing it against the rules has no meaning.

What is the fun of doing a messed up perspective, when you actually don't know how to do it correctly? Sure, a child can have innocent fun with it, but once you have done 200 of those drawings which you after a while desperately notice cannot capture correctly reality, you will get disappointed. Because in the end, we are human beings, and we need something to grab ourselves to, and we endlessly seek personal perfection (which in the end we will never achieve...). The knowledge and abandon of the "rules" is for example the value of Picasso.

Rules can be annoying, specially when you fail to understand them, they can be aggravating when they confine you to a dogma, but they can be your biggest asset when you want to be original.

Rules are actually your friend. You just need to see them as guidelines, not as shackles :)

picasso was also trying to make another way of impresionism
which was capture the moment in a second but instead he tried different views in one canvas, which made it seem like a movie. hence cubism...
only cinematography got a boom after words and thats when the classical arts died...

not a big fan of him, but a big fan of cubism.

there are a lot of artists now days that follow the rules with out even knowing they are, they have no ***clue of what they are doing, but simply following their instinct of doing it.

theres rules inside the titles of art, but which can be broken to make a new one =p
art is just an universe waiting to be explored. nothing else muh friend, it's endless.
 Phoenix.Ingraham
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2010-09-14 15:05:39
Link | Quote | Reply

A wacom bamboo :<

It's not exactly fit for drawing, but hey, whatever.

I'd love to get into traditional artwork, I don't even do pencil sketches as much anymore. Hell, it's been a month since I even touched a pencil that wasn't a generic no.2.

Valefor.Hahn
Server: Valefor
user: Hahn
By Valefor.Hahn 2010-09-14 15:07:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Rinielenika said:
Valefor.Hahn said:

This is awesome. I love smudging with my pencil.... but I got so use to making clean marks that I stopped doing it. I kinda miss it....

Thank you. :]

Your work is amazing. I particularly like this one the most:
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 15:08:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Rinielenika said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
Bahamut.Moehre said:
Phoenix.Darki said:

I draw mostly cartoons and like vibrant colors, but every now and again I love going back and doing traditional work with realism. My only problem with it, is I usually have to grid/stare at a photo for reference, and I feel its almost cheating to myself... hahahaha. Just to myself. I dont have anything against it, I just want to be able to do it free hand... which is freaking hard. Lol.

This is pretty old, but Im still pretty proud of it. I did it in high school. I dont have any good pictures of my recent realism works.... sorry. I gotta get down to the school with em' and take good photos of them :P

"The Jockey Rides" - My Final for Art 4 in high school

after doing something over and over it records on your mind, you should defenately try risking yourself and not using photo references, thats when your real style blossoms ^,~ try it. if something doesnt work out, like lips or nose, study that body part harder.

and wow you are very talented and perceptive, you should keep doing traditional even though i know it's a pain on the ***.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 15:12:01
Link | Quote | Reply

you guys left photography out!
i'm dissapointed!
 Siren.Demetreos
Server: Siren
user: Riggy
By Siren.Demetreos 2010-09-14 15:13:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
i'm dissapointed!
I do a little of that too. Even if it's just using my iPhone camera. I have an oldish SLR though, that I need to buy some film for.
 Bahamut.Moehre
By Bahamut.Moehre 2010-09-14 15:13:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Picasso is not only cubism... He made the most beautiful images of his parents studio at the age of 16. When I saw the paintings in the Picasso Museum in Barcelona, I had problems in accepting those 20cm images where actually oil paintings and not photographs... They were THAT good <.< /envy

I used Picasso as a sample because, though he is not one of may favourite (I am a sucker for XIV and XV century art (yes I am a weirdo)) his museum is extremely entertaining: you go through endless halls, and you seem to watch before you the whole history of the 19th and 20th century art: from romantic realism to cubism. His blue period is simply amazing :)

I found a more realistic picture that might help my perspective argument...

the closer the thicker... I used a very flat style though, as I did not want to express individual shading, and capture the architectural quality of the space... Am I making sense? I feel tricked by the English language somehow >_<
 Bahamut.Ceviilla
user: Ceviilla
By Bahamut.Ceviilla 2010-09-14 15:13:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow! Ya'll have some amazing art. I'm taking painting this year and I'm a little out of my element but I just got in from stretching my own canvas. It can be a pain but it feels awesome when you're done. Now I get to mess it up tomorrow in painting class.

Here's a picture of my little tote for class. Winton oil paints and prismacolor pencils. Nothing special but I love my tote:

Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-14 15:13:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
i'm dissapointed!
I'll have to dig up my portfolio sometime and do some scans.
I'm a fan of the older film media rather than digital, just doesn't feel the same.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 15:13:47
Link | Quote | Reply

and sculpture

i are very sad.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 15:14:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
i'm dissapointed!
I'll have to dig up my portfolio sometime and do some scans.
I'm a fan of the older film media rather than digital, just doesn't feel the same.

+1 older film.
defenately wins over digital.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-14 15:14:48
Link | Quote | Reply

This is why I'll never be as good as real artists. =D I keep wanting art to work by certain rules, like programming. Here's how perspective works, here's how line weight works, here's how shading works, here's how anatomy works, etc.

It's why I learned just enough about art to talk intelligently about it with artists, and work closely with them in games, but never really tried to do anything serious with it. I'll leave the truly creative stuff to you guys.
By Flionheart 2010-09-14 15:16:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
This is why I'll never be as good as real artists. =D I keep wanting art to work by certain rules, like programming. Here's how perspective works, here's how line weight works, here's how shading works, here's how anatomy works, etc.

It's why I learned just enough about art to talk intelligently about it with artists, and work closely with them in games, but never really tried to do anything serious with it. I'll leave the truly creative stuff to you guys.

I find I go through phases of gigantic creativity blocks myself. At times I'll have an idea after an idea after an idea and make some truly awesome things, then it'll take me a year or so to come up with anything at all.

Probably weird :S
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 15:16:24
Link | Quote | Reply

yes i know picasso did other types of artwork, just like every other artist has. I was just using cubism as his main reference, after all that's what he was famous for lol

and oh that style DOES help perspective by a lot, but not always it has to be that way to make it work, there are so many ways to make perspective work, even breaking it is good if you know how to decieve the eye.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 15:17:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

you're being to strict, just let go of your sentiment man, think of the paper, and think theres an image hidden there you have to scrap out with your pencil.

but your way also works, it's art, it's personal for everyone~
 Bahamut.Moehre
By Bahamut.Moehre 2010-09-14 15:19:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't say that Jaerik!!!!

You know, my husband tells me I suck at programming because I insist on making the code... looking good <.< He told me I can be really good with the design but I should leave the programming to the cold *** like him xD

But I still do it because I like it?

You should also never think of yourself as less an artist as anyone else :)

People keep forcing me to use the expression of "Professional Artist" because I make money out of art, but I never think of myself as a full artist because I believe everyone else is better than me and I secretly conjure against them all to steal their talent <.< *ish evil*
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-14 15:22:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Trial and error+loose set of rules=perfect
I usually aim to what I think would be the most aesthetically pleasing to me though lol.
But that's probably why I adore composition in many areas of my life.