Your Art Materials.

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Fan-Art » Your art materials.
Your art materials.
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Ifrit.Genzousou
Server: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
By Ifrit.Genzousou 2010-09-14 14:11:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Ifrit.Genzousou said:

Blow Prismacolor markers out of the water and have a airbrush system with them too!b You can also replace the color resiviors(sp) and pen nibs. They have a small nib and wide nib!

I want these lol

Yah, they are great just expensive as **** as most art supplies are ; ; - Try camping Ebay, sometimes you can find killer deals on art supplies there. I found my Stadtlers ($100 pen set) for $30 there!

Going into an art store is like a candy store... Could spend hours in there droooling.... :D :D :D :D
 Phoenix.Darki
Server: Phoenix
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 14:12:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik now i see why it's visualy confusing to you, it's actually a nice style but it doesn't create perspective like you think it would.

it's visualy confusing because it doesn't follow one line size, BUT it's not wrong. what would be very disorted is using the thin lines outside and fat ones inside. @.@ though if you wanna add perspective, you might want to make the lines of the drg's wings (the skin that arcs and connects the triangles) thiner to give it a nice small detail.

you can try using the thin lines as outter lines as well and mix it with the fat ones. try making some strokes of the hair thin as well. and could've made the smile a thiner line, just to confuse away the viewer from the fact that you're using thin/fat lines.

unless you want to keep it this way it's also correct, because it's a 'style'
just trying to point out a way you can decieve the viewer.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 14:14:15
Link | Quote | Reply

thats pretty clean btw ;o
color et
 Bahamut.Moehre
Server: Bahamut
user: moehre
By Bahamut.Moehre 2010-09-14 14:14:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I use a variety of beloved Rapidograph pens from 0.13 to 0.7, which I used to use on my Architecture drawings, together with a thick black copic pen and traditional Indian ink with brush.

I usually work on Engineering Paper, which is a semi-transparent thick paper, which both protects the Rapidograph pens, as it allows for some nice games with the use of the transparency itself.

Everything is then scanned into Photoshop, and coloured with the help of a Wacom board, if I have the patience for it.

When I feel reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally high, I use pure graphite or charcoal. But that makes such a mess I end up ruining my shirts, so I tend to avoid it, though it is one of my favourite mediums...
 Valefor.Hahn
Server: Valefor
user: Hahn
By Valefor.Hahn 2010-09-14 14:17:29
Link | Quote | Reply

And Photoshop CS5~
I also write stories and poetry. Love creativity.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 14:19:44
Link | Quote | Reply

eh crappy scan but
harness the power of ink pens!

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs35/i/2008/294/a/4/Angel_by_Dark_Beauty.jpg

Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-14 14:23:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice pen work. It reminds me of this guy that used to frequent an art board of mine. He could do effortlessly awesome things with cheap ballpoint pens and negative space.

I wish I knew who he was or whatever became of him.
 Valefor.Hahn
Server: Valefor
user: Hahn
By Valefor.Hahn 2010-09-14 14:25:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
eh crappy scan but
harness the power of ink pens!

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs35/i/2008/294/a/4/Angel_by_Dark_Beauty.jpg

Good stuff, I'ma sucker for rich shading.

This is my latest piece:

Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2010-09-14 14:25:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Because it looks like we have a lot of good artists here, do you might if I ask a technical question? In that bebe dragoon pic above, I tried doing line weight by "importance." That is, I made the external lines thickest and the internal ones thinnest. That seems to not be the way to do it. The result is visually confusing. What should I have done instead? What's the "rule?" Does it depend on detail level and how far the line is from the camera? How would you guys have done it? If this is sort of thread hijacking, I apologize. I'll take it elsewhere.

There are a lot of examples of artists/illustrators that use thick/thin line art, like the graphic illustrator Moebius...

...I think the rule is to emphasise what is needed to delineate, but to suggest atmospheric perspective by having lines recede in weight as things go into the background. Foreground items get the heaviest treatment (when only using line to represent depth.)

EDIT: Wow I am too slow to respond. I'll just hold off on replies.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 14:26:09
Link | Quote | Reply

ballpoint pens!? ha!
those are the best for shading, they have like 10 levels of shading and you can usually control it with strenght and how you hold the pen.

it proves you can do art with a cheap paper and pen.

>>>>> lol wacom ad.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 14:29:41
Link | Quote | Reply

take this one for example..

mary cassatt, mother's caress 1891.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 14:32:37
Link | Quote | Reply

it's funny how many tools there are out there, but I also want to see what you guys make of them. I could really learn from other people and how they use their ***. so post art too =o
 Siren.Demetreos
Server: Siren
user: Riggy
By Siren.Demetreos 2010-09-14 14:32:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't done anything in ages, but yeah - I'm a vector artist primarily.

Edit resized.
 Fenrir.Dreuce
user: Dreuce
By Fenrir.Dreuce 2010-09-14 14:33:19
Link | Quote | Reply

While I wouldn't really say there are exact rules that must be followed, I've picked up a few things I keep in mind when considering line weight.

Depth~ Things in the background should have thinner lines while objects in the foreground should have thicker, bolder lines.

Shape/Lighting~ Areas that are hit by light should be thinner and shaded sides thicker to emphasize shape and lighting.

I prefer the Art Nouveau style that you have myself. I like to use it alot myself. I like that it simplifies things and makes for a less confusing piece although from your request/ follow up it seems you disagree.

I say whatever works for you do it though. If you wanna see how beautiful Art Nouveau style of linework can be Mucha is the man. Adam Hughes is a badass too(although I suppose you can say they use the addition "rules" to some extent anyways). :o

Ack did the same thing Schutz! X(
By Artemicion 2010-09-14 14:34:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Sadly I am not an artist, but from what I noticed, artwork materials work a lot like gear do in FFXI (engage nerd mode)

With a great amount of skill, you can produce great results with even the most simplistic of materials.

However, with the proper tools and equipment, you can further utilize your skill to a higher threshold and create something truly sublime.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 14:34:10
Link | Quote | Reply

vectors made me desperate... i don't know how you can do it. lol
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 14:34:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Sadly I am not an artist, but from what I noticed, artwork materials work a lot like gear do in FFXI (engage nerd mode)

With a great amount of skill, you can produce great results with even the most simplistic of materials.

However, with the proper tools and equipment, you can further utilize your skill to a higher threshold and create something truly sublime.
yeah and each tool produces a different effect too, it even influences the title of the piece.
By Artemicion 2010-09-14 14:35:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
Artemicion said:

yeah and each tool produces a different effect too, it even influences the title of the piece.

Hence gear swaps! lawl
 Siren.Demetreos
Server: Siren
user: Riggy
By Siren.Demetreos 2010-09-14 14:35:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
vectors made me desperate... i don't know how you can do it. lol
I don't know either really, liking the style and being OCD with stuff like that, probably, lol.
 Phoenix.Airbag
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-09-14 14:38:02
Link | Quote | Reply

some of my early work
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 14:38:56
Link | Quote | Reply

artheft!
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 14:39:27
Link | Quote | Reply

anyone here into realism/naturalism? or am i the only freak on this world that still draws it among kids my age?
 Fenrir.Schutz
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2010-09-14 14:39:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Happy belated birthday, btw, Dreuce! ^^

/offtopic off :p
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-14 14:40:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Cool, thanks for the pointers.

I may go back and try different line weights. Only problem is, the original is long since gone and the flattened .jpg is all I got. So it'll be an arduous process of shaving the rastered lines down with the eraser tool. Heh.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 14:41:31
Link | Quote | Reply

then make another one!
of a different subject.
 Fenrir.Rinnsi
user: Rinnsi
By Fenrir.Rinnsi 2010-09-14 14:42:36
Link | Quote | Reply

i typically am getting into Pixel art sooo.. my computer is my art tool? wait no, my mouse! or we could get technical and say my hand?
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-14 14:44:01
Link | Quote | Reply

you can even make art with sand.
heck, dirt, leaves, whatever it is that helps you express it out.
 Bahamut.Moehre
Server: Bahamut
user: moehre
By Bahamut.Moehre 2010-09-14 14:44:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Because it looks like we have a lot of good artists here, do you might if I ask a technical question?

Ok one thing that needs to be taken into consideration: What are you looking for? Are you looking to make a picture realistic? Are you looking to ignore the realistic side, and just focus on the importance of one of the characters?

There are no rules on what you should do on the thickness of the lines. It has do to with the message you wish to project. The lines should simply respond to the main idea. If you feel uncomfortable with the result, it might be because the lines do not respond to what you were looking for.

I can give you my personal experience as an art student that suffered for 7 years under traditional dogmas and extreme liberal ideals. It's two extremes that can teach you that you should do what is best for YOUR idea. I am, though, in no terms trying to say I am a great artist... Just trying to give some tips i got from others that helped me, and might help you in your own search for the truth ^^

This is a sample of work that I did that goes against the "traditional" rules. Traditional rules would demand the lines on Moehre (the Mithra) to be thicker due to prespective: items that are closer are always sharper and darker. In a simple example: a black car in the distance will probably have a lighter tone as the dark green jacket on the foreground. That also means that the lines inside Moehre should NOT be all of the same thickness: shaded ares (like armpit) and objects in the foreground (like the sword) should be thicker.

BUT

If you notice closely, the lines on the Orc are actually thicker, and the abuse of the black on his clothing actually pulls the attention to his image. The idea behind is to drag a bit more violently the reading of the image from left to right (the way it would read in a Western country) emphasizing the dynamic of the jump of Moehre.

On this image, though, I was not looking for dynamic. I used a more traditional approach: the thicker lines are the ones responding to shaded areas (even though there is actually barely any shading colouring). It help creating a 3d effect on a very flat image in terms of perspective. A mixture of thicker lines and thinner lines also help greatly on the 3d modeling of tissue, like in the head of the puppet, but it also responds to the same ideal of shading.

In the end it really depends on what you want to transmit. The image you posted it doesn't look odd to me at all. It looks to me you wanted to put into the foreground the human, putting the wyvern into the background of importance, even though in perspective they are equals.

Hope my wall of text makes sense (very late here, brain nt working well) and helps you in some way :)
 Caitsith.Linear
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-09-14 14:44:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
anyone here into realism/naturalism? or am i the only freak on this world that still draws it among kids my age?

I like drawling landscapes. Either imaginative or real, although the former is more likely to be drawn.