Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Majae
By Asura.Majae 2010-08-06 13:26:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Demented said:
Asura.Majae said:
Alexander.Tidusblitz said:
So we should legalize it because it is less dangerous then alcohol? there are a lot of illegal things less dangerous then alcohol, should we legalize every single one of them? is alcohol the bar? everything more dangerous is illegal, everything less dangerous is legal? The alcohol thing is the first thing EVERY pro marijuana person goes to, and it falls flat.

Because it is a hypocritical way of thinking. To say it's OK to have legal alcohol sales, which definitely get you more "messed up" than marijuana, and not legal weed, is just backwards.

I've never met, nor do I know, one person who got so high on marijuana that he became violent, unintelligible, and lost his balance or his ability to make sound decisions.

People who smoke weed, from what I notice, tend to get more creative, happy, hungry, lazy, sleepy. The friends I know who smoke behave much better in public than the drunks I've seen, and they drive much better. Not to say this is a good idea, driving on any mind altering substance is never a good idea. But it is hypocritical to say alcohol is fine, but marijuana is not.

My high-school A&P teacher was put into a coma, and sustained severe injuries-causing her to receive facial reconstruction surgery, because some drunk driver thought he was on the right side of the road.

You can't justify the manipulation of your perception. The legalization of marijuana, or even non-prescription delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in any form would result in more and more of cases like this; until it happens to someone you know, or someone you love, will you see it through the eyes of someone else. Perhaps if it happens to you, because you had to smoke weed, and you become responsible for the death of an innocent family.

We already have enough stupidity on this planet, we don't need a bunch of mentally deficient hippies running around hallucinating.

I really hope you aren't implying the marijuana causes people to hallucinate. If so, that is a pretty far-fetched accusation. Someone would probably have to smoke pound after pound of marijuana to get even close to hallucinating.

Now if you argument is simply that legalizing marijuana will cause more cases of people getting drunk, then getting high, and compounding the intoxication to cause more accidents, sure, i believe it and i don't deny that. But to say people smoking weed are running around hallucinating is just total BS.
[+]
 Fairy.Spence
Server: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-08-06 13:29:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said:

On people using the drug. Get the context right. I addressed the driving aspect of it in the last sentence of the first paragraph. I can bold for you if you can't find it, I know words are hard to read.

Wouldn't it be safe to assume that the more people using the drug, the more people would be driving under the influence?

Edit - Even if only for a short time

You seem to think I'm anti-legalization ~
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-08-06 13:31:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:

See? Dumb *** like this are going to continue to drive on marijuana whether it's legal or not. But the people who currently don't, still won't.
Why exactly do you have to call me a dumb *** negative nancy?
just fyi, i wasn't joking.
You can train your body to do anything with practice, I am confident in my driving abilities, and I'm a good driver regardless of my mental status.

Well, because people like you endanger others lives? Or topic-related, people like you are the reason why people like Spence are against the legalization of marijuana. In that case, you're ruining your own efforts for legalization of a drug you like to use. Make sense?
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2010-08-06 13:32:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Mahayaya, I think I said many times that I was pro-legalization in this thread

I brought up that point for discussions sake
[+]
 Bismarck.Demented
Server: Bismarck
user: Nrem
By Bismarck.Demented 2010-08-06 13:32:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Bismarck.Demented said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Fairy.Spence said:
Why can't people just not dive when they're under the influence. I mean, I love to have a drink with dinner or whatever, but I can easily manage without.

Have you ever texted, talked on the phone, changed the radio, driven while exceptionally sleepy, or eaten in your car? Maybe you've had a dog or maybe a girlfriend in the passenger seat and was trying for your attention? How about had some prescription pills a few hours before driving? Have you driven to the repair shop knowing full well that your car was having troubles, instead of doing the safe thing and getting it towed? If you've done any of these things, it's no different than driving drunk. I don't see how you can be so adamant about the extreme dangers of driving drunk, when these increase the risk of accidents as well and happen extremely frequently.

You take a risk every time you get in a car, whether they're drunk, an inexperienced driver, or fingering their girlfriend in the passenger seat. A smart person pretty much accepts the fact that they could die every time they hop in a car simply because of the unknown dangers of other drivers, animals, faulty car parts, or weather circumstances.

Why aren't you gung-ho about banning eating, cell phones, texting, sexing, dogs, alcohol, and prescription pills outside of driving? Ok, then why are you so stressed about marijuana outside of driving?

Yes, because complete loss of perception and hallucination is the same thing as eating in your car.

The stupidity in this thread is astounding.

Complete loss of perception and hallucination?

Ok, now I get it, I can't win this argument. The people who argue against it are usually just uneducated and think that this "drug" is on par with LSD, shrooms, or DXM. There's really no point in arguing anymore.

No one claimed it was on par with the other listed substances, it's common knowledge that THC is a hallucinogenic. Please, before you try and state lack of education, educate yourself first.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-08-06 13:34:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Spence said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:

On people using the drug. Get the context right. I addressed the driving aspect of it in the last sentence of the first paragraph. I can bold for you if you can't find it, I know words are hard to read.

Wouldn't it be safe to assume that the more people using the drug, the more people would be driving under the influence?

Really, I was just getting pissed at seeing the word "drive" or "driving" every time you posted. Like a broken record with no new input into the thread. Honestly, I could scroll slowly and see (Canadian flag)Fairy.Spence and 9 times out of 10, I could bet that you'd just say: "Driving" or "Drive".

Honestly, you shouldn't have even bothered typing it out into paragraphs or sentences, should have just put "driving" as your post. Keep on posting that word!
 Lakshmi.Kitrah
Server: Lakshmi
user: Kitrah
By Lakshmi.Kitrah 2010-08-06 13:34:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh; legalize it... Don't legalize it... I'm going to smoke it, regardless.

The only difference there would be for me, personally, is the convenience of purchasing it from a store, rather than having to play 'Cloak and Dagger' to get it.
 Asura.Majae
By Asura.Majae 2010-08-06 13:34:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Spence said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:

I would agree with this. There are plenty of people out there who do not smoke marijuana. Once you make it legal, those people may be more prone to give it a try, and then do something stupid.

One argument I read often: It's bad enough that we have people driving around drunk - all we need now is legal marijuana so they can get drunk & high, and that would be much worse. It would be much worse - You combine those two drugs in your system and it can really mess you up. Someone driving who is drunk & stoned, in my opinion, is way more dangerous than someone who is just drunk. It's still bad, but why make it worse?

Many people don't have self-control - just look at this country.
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-08-06 13:34:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Spence said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:

Anyone that drives while high and gets into a car wreck would be an example of bad decision making.
Rather than punishing them for being on the substance they should punish them for bad decision making.
People will make these bad decisions regardless of the legal status of weed anyway.
I really doubt legalizing it will make that much of a difference as long as traffic laws are still enforced as they should be.
edit: this isn't really directed specifically at you my canadia bro.
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:

See? Dumb *** like this are going to continue to drive on marijuana whether it's legal or not. But the people who currently don't, still won't.
You can train your body to do anything with practice, I am confident in my driving abilities, and I'm a good driver regardless of my mental status.

Well, because people like you endanger others lives? Or topic-related, people like you are the reason why people like Spence are against the legalization of marijuana. In that case, you're ruining your own efforts for legalization of a drug you like to use. Make sense?
you obviously have never taken LSD or you would understand the joy of driving on it.
also, I don't drive in town when I'm on it, I drive on country roads that barely get traveled on.
but my point still stands on my mental fortitude.
and also a lot of this becomes beside the point in regards to the fact that I was a bit younger when I did all that stuff, so I didn't have the best decision-making skills.
but that doesn't make me a dumb ***.
[+]
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2010-08-06 13:36:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said:

You only read the first few pages, didn't you?
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-08-06 13:41:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Majae said:
Fairy.Spence said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:

I would agree with this. There are plenty of people out there who do not smoke marijuana. Once you make it legal, those people may be more prone to give it a try, and then do something stupid.

One argument I read often: It's bad enough that we have people driving around drunk - all we need now is legal marijuana so they can get drunk & high, and that would be much worse. It would be much worse - You combine those two drugs in your system and it can really mess you up. Someone driving who is drunk & stoned, in my opinion, is way more dangerous than someone who is just drunk. It's still bad, but why make it worse?

I see it differently. I see it as: Do the people who are smoking in their own homes now, not causing any trouble to others, so "evil" that they deserve to be fined or imprisoned for marijuana possession?

Do you really think they should be jailed for that? Alcohol isn't legal to use while driving, but the smart people who use it and plan out their designated driver shouldn't be put in jail for having had alcohol. And that's the reason why it's legal to drink. (Well, that and nobody would put up with no having alcohol.)
 Bismarck.Demented
By Bismarck.Demented 2010-08-06 13:44:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Fairy.Spence said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:

Anyone that drives while high and gets into a car wreck would be an example of bad decision making.
Rather than punishing them for being on the substance they should punish them for bad decision making.
People will make these bad decisions regardless of the legal status of weed anyway.
I really doubt legalizing it will make that much of a difference as long as traffic laws are still enforced as they should be.
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:

you obviously have never taken LSD or you would understand the joy of driving on it.
also, I don't drive in town when I'm on it, I drive on country roads that barely get traveled on.
and also a lot of this becomes beside the point in regards to the fact that I was a bit younger when I did all that stuff, so I didn't have the best decision-making skills.

Yes, yes it does. You can't see that. I don't expect you to, I have low expectations for potheads; if any at all.

Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-08-06 13:46:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Demented said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Fairy.Spence said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:

Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:

Yes, yes it does. You can't see that. I don't expect you to, I have low expectations for potheads; if any at all.

care to elaborate on your position on this.
i'm not sure what you are saying this in regards to, i assume it's you saying i'm a dumb *** :/
if you just want to insult me that's fine, but at least have some better reasoning behind it.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-08-06 13:48:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Spence said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:

The stuff you posted in regards to marijuana only had to do with "driving". The posts that didn't have anything to do with driving, similarly didn't have anything to do with marijuana(also known as the forum topic).
 Fenrir.Tool
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-06 13:49:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Not gonna run through the previous 16 pages, but I feel if it was legalized rather than criminalized, yet put into a maintained, controlled and perhaps even taxed environment, it could help alleviate drug crime, help fund state/federal programs that many people rely on, and best of all: Help people mellow the *** out.

There's my 2 gil :x
 Bismarck.Demented
By Bismarck.Demented 2010-08-06 13:49:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Asura.Majae said:
Fairy.Spence said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:

I see it differently. I see it as: Do the people who are smoking in their own homes now, not causing any trouble to others, so "evil" that they deserve to be fined or imprisoned for marijuana possession?

Do you really think they should be jailed for that? Alcohol isn't legal to use while driving, but the smart people who use it and plan out their designated driver shouldn't be put in jail for having had alcohol. And that's the reason why it's legal to drink. (Well, that and nobody would put up with no having alcohol.)

Except, they're not only going to be smoking it in their own homes. They're not only going to be smoking it. They'll consume it, they'll put it in food, they'll do it in public.

Unlike alcohol, smoke is inhaled not only by the user, but secondhand by those in the immediate proximity.
[+]
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2010-08-06 13:51:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Fairy.Spence said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:

The stuff you posted in regards to marijuana only had to do with "driving". The posts that didn't have anything to do with driving, similarly didn't have anything to do with marijuana(also known as the forum topic).

If you read them, you'd know why I repeated it on the first few pages. I didn't get any legitimate responses other than "I know my tolerance, I'm okay to drive" and crap like that.

I think you just don't like me :<
 Bismarck.Demented
By Bismarck.Demented 2010-08-06 13:54:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Fairy.Spence said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:

Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:

Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-08-06 13:54:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Demented said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Asura.Majae said:
Fairy.Spence said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:

Except, they're not only going to be smoking it in their own homes. They're not only going to be smoking it. They'll consume it, they'll put it in food, they'll do it in public.

Unlike alcohol, smoke is inhaled not only by the user, but secondhand by those in the immediate proximity.

You can't drink in public, and already bars in my state are not allowing even tobacco smokers to smoke unless in a designated area. I think the same case would be for marijuana smokers(fines and penalties for public use).

If you want to use it, go to a private bar or do it in your own home. Why is it so hard to think that it would be the same laws as alcohol is now?
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-08-06 13:54:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Demented said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Fairy.Spence said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:

Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:

lazy ***.
unless you give me an actual thought out response, i'll just chalk up your posts here as trolls btw.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-06 13:55:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Majae said:
Historical evidence indicates this isn't the case. Countries like the Netherlands actually have shown a decrease in marijuana use after legalization. Mostly because a good chunk of pot smokers got into it because its illegality made it exciting and attractive in the first place.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-08-06 13:55:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Spence said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Fairy.Spence said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:

If you read them, you'd know why I repeated it on the first few pages. I didn't get any legitimate responses other than "I know my tolerance, I'm okay to drive" and crap like that.

I think you just don't like me :<

I have nothing against you personally, it's just that that post a couple pages back about driving really set me off after seeing how many times you posted about it early on.

You know you my boo.
 Asura.Majae
By Asura.Majae 2010-08-06 13:56:14
Link | Quote | Reply

If there was ever a chance that marijuana was to be legalized, i'm sure there would be very strict laws in regards to when/where it can be smoked.

I would imagine there would be similarities with laws regarding alcohol. Age limit restrictions, no smoking while on the job, designated areas, etc.
[+]
 Fenrir.Tool
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-06 13:57:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Asura.Majae said:
Historical evidence indicates this isn't the case. Countries like the Netherlands actually have shown a decrease in marijuana use after legalization. Mostly because a good chunk of pot smokers got into it because its illegality made it exciting and attractive in the first place.

Aye, if I recall correctly, nationwide statistics show many try, and then drop drugs of all sorts, including the more "hardcore" stuff.

Only a fraction end up getting hooked/*** their lives up, which in the end is subject to the individual. The faults for this can be applied to many other legal substances. It's simply a matter of control.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-06 13:57:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Majae said:
If there was ever a chance that marijuana was to be legalized, i'm sure there would be very strict laws in regards to when/where it can be smoked.

I would imagine there would be similarities with laws regarding alcohol. Age limit restrictions, no smoking while on the job, designated areas, etc.
Correct. The ballot initiative in California to legalize it places it under all the same laws as alcohol and cigarettes.

No use or sales to minors, no smoking in bars/restaurants/beaches/parks/public buildings, no driving under influence, no public intoxication, etc. And the penalties are all the same.
[+]
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2010-08-06 13:58:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said:

I have nothing against you personally, it's just that that post a couple pages back about driving really set me off after seeing how many times you posted about it early on.

You know you my boo.

I apologize for calling you a shmuck. I'll leave this thread to those that actually care about it!
 Asura.Majae
By Asura.Majae 2010-08-06 13:58:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Asura.Majae said:

But this is the USA were talking about here. I think most countries have a better educational system in place when it comes to drugs and alcohol - the US likes to use fear as a way to deter substance abuse.

I wish I had more info on how the Netherlands substance use/abuse programs differ from America.

But overall, yes, the evidence does show it to be the opposite. But in the back of my head I just see a bunch of scared kids who are afraid, finally thinking "Oh it's legal, I can't wait to try it".

I really hope i'm wrong.
 Bismarck.Demented
By Bismarck.Demented 2010-08-06 14:02:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bismarck.Demented said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Fairy.Spence said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:

Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:

lazy ***.
unless you give me an actual thought out response, i'll just chalk up your posts here as trolls btw.

Like that means anything.

I don't feel the need to point out the obvious to the mentally impaired.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-06 14:02:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Majae said:
I wish I had more info on how the Netherlands substance use/abuse programs differ from America.
I'm speculating, but I'd imagine they don't have one at all.

When you legalize a substance, you don't really need to have specialized education about it anymore. I was in Japan for that particular period of my life so I don't know how it's done in the US, but I don't remember getting any special D.A.R.E.-like program about alcohol and tobacco. Kids just knew about its use and dangers from growing up with it.

People who didn't want to smoke... just, well, didn't. There was no educational program to say smoking causes cancer. Everyone just knew. Those who chose to smoke did so knowing the risks already, and no class was going to convince them otherwise.
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-08-06 14:03:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Demented said:

Like that means anything.

I don't feel the need to point out the obvious to the mentally impaired.
don't you mean you are just flamebaiting?
:D
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 16 17 18 19