Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » <3 Christianity <3
<3 Christianity <3
First Page 2 ... 11 12 13
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-06-21 15:13:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Not long ago, we were telling you of a campaign coming from the Westboro Baptist Church that aimed to show that Lady Gaga was the closest thing to Devil on Earth, leading her followers (fans?) to perdition. This, of course, according to Rev. Fred Phelps. His granddaughter, Megan Phelps-Roper, even goes as far as to use Gaga’s own song to illustrate her father’s case.

Megan Phelps uses Gaga’s “Poker Face” to show that the message behind her music and her so-called showmanship is as shallow as her lyrics. This time, there is no statement accompanying the leak on the Internet of the re-made version of the hit track, but the lyrics speak for themselves if one only bothers to listen to them carefully. The idea is simple: with everything that she did / does, Gaga upset God. As such, she must pay the price.

The same message was also contained in a press statement issued by the Reverend a while back, calling for boycott of Gaga’s January 7 gig at the Fox Theater. Back then, the Reverend used holy quotes to illustrate that Gaga was nothing short of a cheap woman of the night that was using her music and her image, which somehow continues to garner a lot of attention, to corrupt as many impressionable youngsters as possible.

“‘Art’ and ‘fashion’ are the euphemisms, the guise under which proud [expletive] Lady Gaga teaches rebellion against God (incidentally, her claim to the title of ‘lady’ is sound only if she tacks on ‘of the night,’ thereby alluding to another euphemism of what she is.) As much as she’d like to pretend otherwise, there’s nothing new or different about this particular [expletive]’s pretentious prancing. Does the simple [expletive] truly think that she can change God’s standards by seducing a generation of rebels into joining her in fist-raised, stiff-necked, hard-hearted rebellion against Him? Get real!” the Reverend wrote.

“Even as she gives lip-service to ‘liberating’ her young fans, Lady Gaga brings them into slavery to their own corruption, teaching them to glory in their shame. She hates you! ‘For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness… While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption!’ 2 Pet. 2:18-19 YOU’RE GOING TO HELL,” the statement also said.

Christian Weekly

Thank God I'm an Atheist...
[+]
 Leviathan.Dubont
Server: Leviathan
user: Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-06-21 15:14:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnumatic said:

[+]
 Asura.Israfel
Server: Asura
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2010-06-21 15:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Please don't compare the likes of Westboro baptist church to Christians.
They couldn't be more twisted, seriously.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Bangarang
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Bangarang
By Midgardsormr.Bangarang 2010-06-21 15:17:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I knew the Apocalypse was coming and that Lady Gaga was behind it.

[+]
 Fenrir.Luarania
Server: Fenrir
user: Whknight
By Fenrir.Luarania 2010-06-21 15:17:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Dubont said:
Asura.Israfel said:
Please don't compare the likes of Westboro baptist church to Christians. They couldn't be more twisted, seriously.
This to but still...
 Seraph.Xdudemanx
Server: Seraph
user: xdudemanx
By Seraph.Xdudemanx 2010-06-21 15:17:22
Link | Quote | Reply

sigh
[+]
 Diabolos.Gira
Server: Diabolos
user: Cameryn
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-06-21 15:17:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure if that youtube clip repulsed me... because I was cracking up...

For those wondering, I'm a gay Christian... and I think it's funny when people think the bible is anti-gay and that being a hatefilled bigot is the message Jesus left in his place.

This was a funny parody, but if they actually did that for-serious and think they're doing God's work... sorry, that's even funnier, 'cuz it's sad.
Asura.Israfel said:
Please don't compare the likes of Westboro baptist church to Christians.
They couldn't be more twisted, seriously.

Word.
[+]
 Phoenix.Smileybone
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-06-21 15:20:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Why was this thread created?
[+]
 Diabolos.Gira
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-06-21 15:21:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Smileybone said:
What forum DOESN'T eventually digress into religion and politics? Come on, this is the internet, THE INTERNET IS SERIOUS BUSINESS RAWR!!!

PS: MUDKIP SUCKS!!!

(haha, just playin' :P)
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-06-21 15:22:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Smileybone said:
To give attention to a 'congregation' that should be standing towards the buisness end of an army firing squad? (I'm not exactly for the war or anything, but what they do is some seriously *** up ***)

Oh yeah..

Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » <3 Christianity <3
[+]
 Asura.Israfel
Server: Asura
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2010-06-21 15:23:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Because Magnumatic likes to think he's being clever by bashing Christianity when he really has -no *** clue-. I'm all for intelligent debates / discussion, but his posts on the matter have been nonsensical jibberish that he's pulled from whatever website, half-read then spewed back up here in an attempt to fit in with the 'cool kids'
[+]
 Phoenix.Smileybone
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-06-21 15:24:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk it just seems like every other day or so we just have to hear about some crazy people doing some crazy stuff which just starts a giant ***storm of a thread.

Bismarck.Xdudemanx
user: xdudemanx
By Bismarck.Xdudemanx 2010-06-21 15:24:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Xdudemanx said:
sigh
just another one of these threads again
 Leviathan.Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-06-21 15:25:45
Link | Quote | Reply

yay extremists!!! too bad they aren't far off from the average population of....those people >.>
[+]
 Unicorn.Ninetales
Server: Unicorn
user: Azulmagia
By Unicorn.Ninetales 2010-06-21 15:25:48
Link | Quote | Reply

More like religion in general. Sure, the uber-fanatics are a small percentage overall, but it's the #1 driving force in the fanaticism that's there. Also, close-mindedness/intolerance/prejudice founded on religion is very widespread. See: Southern US
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-06-21 15:26:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Gira said:
I'm not sure if that youtube clip repulsed me... because I was cracking up... For those wondering, I'm a gay Christian... and I think it's funny when people think the bible is anti-gay and that being a hatefilled bigot is the message Jesus left in his place. This was a funny parody, but if they actually did that for-serious and think they're doing God's work... sorry, that's even funnier, 'cuz it's sad.
Asura.Israfel said:
Please don't compare the likes of Westboro baptist church to Christians. They couldn't be more twisted, seriously.
Word.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 - "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

Leviticus 20:13 13 " 'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

I'm sorry, but what exactly am I missing?

The bible is full of bigotry..

The Westboro Baptist church is NOT an extremist group. They are simply just enforcing what the bible actually says.

[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-06-21 15:26:18
Link | Quote | Reply

This thread was needed, because we all give a ***about Christian extremists and Lady Gaga, THANK YOU OP!
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Bangarang
By Midgardsormr.Bangarang 2010-06-21 15:26:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Israfel said:
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Because Magnumatic likes to think he's being clever by bashing Christianity when he really has -no *** clue-. I'm all for intelligent debates / discussion, but his posts on the matter have been nonsensical jibberish that he's pulled from whatever website, half-read then spewed back up here in an attempt to fit in with the 'cool kids'

[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-06-21 15:26:47
Link | Quote | Reply

While on the subject of them and dying.. Wonder how many people would actually care if they were to show up brutally murdered tomorrow.. o.O.. I'm betting not many.. ***probably even the most left wing liberal is offended by these ***.
 Phoenix.Smileybone
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-06-21 15:28:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
This thread was needed, because we all give a ***about Christian extremists and Lady Gaga, THANK YOU OP!
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-06-21 15:28:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Smileybone said:

I wanted to share my laughter with everyone else.
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-06-21 15:29:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Gira said:
I'm not sure if that youtube clip repulsed me... because I was cracking up... For those wondering, I'm a gay Christian... and I think it's funny when people think the bible is anti-gay and that being a hatefilled bigot is the message Jesus left in his place. This was a funny parody, but if they actually did that for-serious and think they're doing God's work... sorry, that's even funnier, 'cuz it's sad.
Asura.Israfel said:
Word.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 - "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

Leviticus 20:13 13 " 'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

The Westboro Baptist church is NOT an extremist group. They are simply just enforcing what the bible actually says.

Yeah the bible also talks about animal sacrafices too, yet you don't really see anyone doing that.. Masturbation is also condemned by the bible, I see no signs saying 'God hates Masturbators'

EDIT: forgot to add why I even brought that up.. They're not enforcing the bible, they're just picking and choosing which rules they want to follow or seem convienent to their outlook on life.
[+]
By brahmdut 2010-06-21 15:30:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Gira said:
Asura.Israfel said:
Word.

The "Westboro Baptist Church "IS" an extrimest group.. they do not just simply just enforce what the bible actually says. they pick and choose what they want to do... like most people they see things how they want to see thing.. on that note "Luke6:37" Do not judge...
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-06-21 15:30:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Gira said:
Asura.Israfel said:
Word.

That's not KJV which is by most the utmost standard.
KJV translates 1Cor 6:9 as:
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

you know they didn't use the word homosexual back in the day. come on.
the leviticus quote really is about the same either way.

[+]
 Leviathan.Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-06-21 15:31:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Physical defects are also prohibited by the bible but self mutilation of one's genitals is encouraged
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Bangarang
By Midgardsormr.Bangarang 2010-06-21 15:31:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Diabolos.Gira said:
Asura.Israfel said:
Word.

Yeah the bible also talks about animal sacrafices too, yet you don't really see anyone doing that.. Masturbation is also condemned by the bible, I see no signs saying 'God hates Masturbators'

Actually. ..

Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-06-21 15:33:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Bangarang said:
Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Diabolos.Gira said:
Asura.Israfel said:
Word.

Actually. ..

I knew someone was going to post that, but that doesn't really count.. That's just a joke.. I'm talking about the big neon colored signs that they have saying God hates *** and Thank God for Dead Soldiers and the like. Not one says God hates Masturbators.
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-06-21 15:33:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Most of the hate speech in the bible is more old testament than anything from what I've seen, this is not condoning christianity whatsoever but I'm cool with people down with J-man that can take things into context rather than taking everything literal and word by word.
Did you know that God is really an alien?
Cool ***i say.
 Ragnarok.Waraurochs
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Waraurochs 2010-06-21 15:33:35
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Diabolos.Gira
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-06-21 15:34:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Gira said:
Asura.Israfel said:
Word.

I don't feel like going into a biblical lesson on an FFXI forum, sufficive to say I know more about the bible in general than most reverends and have read more scholarly essays on the matter than most among those interested specifically in "homosexuality in the bible."

For starters, since the word "homosexual" was in the quote I'm going to assume you quoted the New International Version of the bible... Don't do that, it's a horrible translation. The word "homosexual" didn't exist back then, fact. They changed a line that spoke of substance abusers to be homosexual. "Abusers of themselves with mankind" was the line in the KJV. There was no gender specificity on the alleged "abusers" and mankind means men and women unless otherwise specified by context (IE: womankind being juxtaposed). Yet, like magic, this line turns into "homosexuals" because the conservatives wanted to fabricate more hate scripture.

Moving on:

If you want to actually learn more about it, go here:
http://www.gaychristiansurvivors.com/

Author of the site is a personal friend of mine, and he explains the levitical law you're referencing. And he does so in a very elegant manner that I cannot properly reproduce, only copy/paste.
[+]
First Page 2 ... 11 12 13