The Great Debate Redux: Euthanasia

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » The Great Debate Redux: Euthanasia
The Great Debate Redux: Euthanasia
First Page 2 3 4
 Phoenix.Amael
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Amael 2010-03-12 05:46:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Not so long ago, Karusan made some thread that I liked a lot. This is an attempt to revive it. Same rules as the other ones:
Odin.Karusan said:
Things to remember:
No attacks on other posters. If you have an opinion that is different to someone else, say so and provide evidence to support your opinion.
No one is wrong in their opinions, it's an opinion. If you post however please expect people to make responses to what you say. This means keep an open mind. If you're not prepared to have someone think differently to you maybe it's best if you don't post.

Topic: Euthanasia
Do you think one should have Euthanasia as an option for a terminal disease? Why or Why Not?
 Phoenix.Teguri
user: Talran
By Phoenix.Teguri 2010-03-12 06:50:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Absolutely. Quality of life can in fact reach a point where it is much better to be dead for all persons involved.

Anyone who disagrees hasn't gone through a parent dying of sever dementia, wherein their lucid periods they call to you in fearing that she was taken by the "police" in Hungarian.(Mother was Hungarian, from Germany came over here after WW2)
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2010-03-12 07:11:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Good topic, too bad the religion nuts are going to go wild on this.

"You can't kill anyone, thats an act against our god!!!!"

I have no viewpoint in this, because I personally don't want to think about it tbh. I'm just pointing out the flaw and eventual argument thats about to come in place (hopefully not, since I pointed it out early).
 Fairy.Vegetto
Server: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-03-12 07:25:52
Link | Quote | Reply

It's already an option. What are they going to do if you kill yourself? Fine you?
[+]
 Phoenix.Teguri
By Phoenix.Teguri 2010-03-12 07:28:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Perhaps some people want to, but can't. ;
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-03-12 07:30:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless it's someone whose lost total control of their body, there would always be a way if they wanted to die THAT badly(is it going to be as painless as a simple injection? Surely not, but can still be done). If they have lost control of their mind, they can't want anything (vegetative state, ect).

In case A, lost control of body, they still, at least in the USA, have the right to refuse treatment and without that, they'd most likely be dying soon if they can't do anything for themselves.

Edit: Basically, unless you're in a straight jacket w/ a colostomy bag, and a tube being forced your nutrients, if you want to die, you can make it happen.
 Fairy.Spence
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-03-12 07:34:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, a physician assisted suicide is likely to be painless, whereas killing yourself by refusing treatment in most cases, can be a long drawn out and painful thing.

I'm sure you know that it is illegal to kill yourself in some states. It's only gonna affect you if you lolfail but meh

Silly laws are silly
 Phoenix.Teguri
By Phoenix.Teguri 2010-03-12 07:37:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Refusal of treatment usually works, there are some cases where people just keep living, not necessarily physically unable to do it, but mentally unable to (see above dementia). Otherwise, just not treating usually does the job.
I do wish it was legal here in the US to have it done in a more humane way though. Not that some doctors don't already.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-03-12 07:37:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, think of the medical physicians, their job is to save people. You want to force them to kill people? If you want this "treatment", I say force one of their family members to give the injection.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-03-12 07:38:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Teguri said:
Refusal of treatment usually works, there are some cases where people just keep living, not necessarily physically unable to do it, but mentally unable to (see above dementia). Otherwise, just not treating usually does the job.
I do wish it was legal here in the US to have it done in a more humane way though. Not that some doctors don't already.
If they can physically eat, then they can physically bite their tongue. If they can't physically eat, then they're not going to continue living w/o that treatment for very long.
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2010-03-12 07:45:35
Link | Quote | Reply

C'mon Veg

You really expect someone to bite their tongue so they can choke/asphyxiate on their own blood?

Be realistic
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-03-12 08:16:41
Link | Quote | Reply

If they wanted to die that badly, sure, or they could stop eating. I guarantee biting of the tongue would result in a quicker death, though. Hell they could catch a cab to the nearest train track and take a nap on that. There are millions of ways to die, the doctor being the one to do it is never the only option.
 Pandemonium.Liquidz
Server: Pandemonium
user: liquidz
By Pandemonium.Liquidz 2010-03-12 08:22:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Teguri said:

It is legal in the state of Washington and Oregon, if you have less than 6 months left to live. I guess this is better than nothing.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-03-12 08:23:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Find a buddy, also terminally ill, who wishes to die, kill them, and get the death penalty (only would work in states that have death penalty ofc)
 Shiva.Bethanie
Server: Shiva
user: Bethanie
By Shiva.Bethanie 2010-03-12 08:36:05
Link | Quote | Reply

This is a hard topic, I am a trained nurse and treat patients that are terminally ill. It is hard to watch someone die and hopefully not suffer it is even harder for the family to watch their love ones in the last few weeks/days of their lives. This will be their last memory of the friend/loved one. I have the view that every individual has the right to live their life as they wish and should die as they wish and with dignity. If they have a "living will" that states they would like Euthanasia (if legalised) then that is their right. If someone is unconscious, not of sound mind (dementia) and unaware of living, have a lack of quality of life, laying there dehydrating, malnourished, smelling from rotten wounds, drowning in their own secretions due to organ failure wouldn't it be kinder to have them pass away peacefully without suffering. You wouldn't let your pet die like this!!

On the other hand I wouldn't want to be the DR/Nurse giving the lethal injection as ineffect your taking a life and we are trained to preserve/aid in quality of life not take a life. (As I said a hard topic-with no easy answer)
 Caitsith.Blurr
Server: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2010-03-12 08:39:16
Link | Quote | Reply

i agree you cant put it on the doctors.. as far as responsibility goes anyway. its their sworn duty to do no harm after all.. but yeah, you cant expect people to be able to kill themselves.. and you definitely cant EXPECT loved ones to do so either. its just a tough cell all around, and i wish they didnt just make it so black and white (when it never is), with little to no options.. veg, try an example like your burned alive in a car accident, but dont quite die.. you lose so much flesh and muscle, your basically a lump of disgusting scar tissue carted around on table in a body cast for the rest of your life. no hurt on the job lawsuit to at least maybe get millions to live comfortably on, no more making new friends of any kind, no more anything at all besides your table top and however you manage to pass the rest of your lifes worth of time. even having loved ones willing to take care of you..

if i had the option to not go through any of it at all, i would take it personally. im very much afraid of dying, and i know in a million years, no matter how much i wanted to, i couldnt kill myself. so your "if they want to bad enough, they can do it" argument kinda goes through the window imo.

its only one of a million examples able to be given too..
theres no right or wrong to it morally, just a lot of grey area with varying circumstance.. legally theres a simple answer sure, but to help people that are actually IN a situation where euthanasia is an actual route to consider.. i dont think it would help at all being like "dude, there are a million ways to die. if you wanna die that badly, just pick one"
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-03-12 08:44:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
i dont think it would help at all being like "dude, there are a million ways to die. if you wanna die that badly, just pick one"
Which is why I gave the option for letting their family members take care of the deed. Doctor shouldn't have to, unless he wants to, ofc.
 Phoenix.Teguri
By Phoenix.Teguri 2010-03-12 08:54:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey veg, I agree with ya, don't pt it on the doctors, but let the family members do it. I know if it was legal I would have.
 Carbuncle.Xandor
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Xandor 2010-03-12 08:56:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Let them suffer, every last sec you can get out from them! sure have them bite their tounge off, thats all good, just make sure someone can save them so they can live for a little bit longer, only now without a tounge so they can suffer some more.

/sarcasm
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2010-03-12 09:03:30
Link | Quote | Reply

doctors absolutely shouldnt have to, nor should anyone ever expect one to imo. but i dont think it should be black and white illegal to let anyone do it, especially ones SELF. and as far as family members go, they shouldnt be expected to anymore or less than a doctor, or ANYONE for that matter.. as scared as i am to die, for whatever reasons (im not religious(i dont think)), id be equally scared (i dont even know how to describe emotion really) to kill someone i loved.. as right as i knew it would be to do even if the case.

i dont think anyone should be EXPECTED to be able to kill ..or die, in any situation at all.. but none the less. you would put a suffering animal out of its misery right?, why wouldnt we for a human being ?

all i was saying in the first place really was that it definitely shouldnt be just a cut and dry, "its illegal to commit suicide or assist in committing suicide, period".. when theres just so much grey area to it. kinda like abortions i guess.. sure one can argue its wrong, and yaddy yadda, but how do you tell a 12 y/o girl who was raped/impregnated by her dad "you HAVE to, or your expected to, have the kid". yes there are simple legal answers, but, ***.. there are a lot of situations that a simple answer just wont do.

again, its HUMAN lives.. like your real family and friends <.>

shits easy to talk about like its nothing when it IS nothing, and ..god forbid it is ever actually anyone here.. but. i promise no matter what you think you know now, no matter what it even is you think you know.. you wont know ***for ***till it actually is you.

and by you, i mean anyone.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-03-12 09:06:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
especially ones SELF
They can already do it themselves, the thing is if your family does it they go to jail ect. You do it yourself nothing happens they can't touch you
 Phoenix.Teguri
By Phoenix.Teguri 2010-03-12 09:07:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I would have had no hesitation killing my mom if it would have been legal. That would have saved her a whole bunch of suffering, and confusion and about 3 months of our lives while we were caring for her.

I would have been happy to do it if I was handed a syringe.
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2010-03-12 09:09:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Try a little empathy, Veg >.>
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-03-12 09:10:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Blurr said:
doctors absolutely shouldnt have to, nor should anyone ever expect one to imo. but i dont think it should be black and white illegal to let anyone do it, especially ones SELF. and as far as family members go, they shouldnt be expected to anymore or less than a doctor, or ANYONE for that matter.. as scared as i am to die, for whatever reasons (im not religious(i dont think)), id be equally scared (i dont even know how to describe emotion really) to kill someone i loved.. as right as i knew it would be to do even if the case.

This imo is why you should be able to ask a doctor to do it. Not only do they see ppl die everyday, but the also dont love you mother/brother/sister/wife/husband or w/e.

If my wife were in extreme pain and we all knew she dont have much more time to live and she want to die to escape the pain, why should any law keep her from dying? I would obviously have a very hard time doing it myself, however if some random person I dont know or care about would want me to help them dying (by a painless injection) I wouldn't have the same issues.

Edit: anyone seen Million Dollar baby? biting her tounge off didnt work too well for her.
 Hades.Amnesia
Server: Hades
user: Wishkah
By Hades.Amnesia 2010-03-12 09:12:54
Link | Quote | Reply

But why are the youth in asia being blamed for all these killings?
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-03-12 09:12:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Try a little empathy, Veg >.>

What? they can do it themselves. If you can syringe serum in your own veins, you could do the same w/ simply air, or water, and that would pretty much *** them over.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-03-12 09:15:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
This imo is why you should be able to ask a doctor to do it. Not only do they see ppl die everyday, but the also dont love you mother/brother/sister/wife/husband or w/e.

If my wife were in extreme pain and we all knew she dont have much more time to live and she want to die to escape the pain, why should any law keep her from dying? I would obviously have a very hard time doing it myself, however if some random person I dont know or care about would want me to help them dying (by a painless injection) I wouldn't have the same issues.

Edit: anyone seen Million Dollar baby? biting her tounge off didnt work too well for her.
Again, if they WANTED to, sure, but no doctor should be forced to. If you want her to stop suffering that bad then end her suffering. Don't point your finger. YOU HAVE TO END HER SUFFERING NOW!
 Hades.Amnesia
Server: Hades
user: Wishkah
By Hades.Amnesia 2010-03-12 09:18:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-03-12 09:19:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Vegetto said:
Quote:

Again, if they WANTED to, sure, but no doctor should be forced to. If you want her to stop suffering that bad then end her suffering. Don't point your finger. YOU HAVE TO END HER SUFFERING NOW!

better to tell them to start nomming on their tounge and hope for the best?
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2010-03-12 09:20:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Vegetto said:
Quote:
especially ones SELF
They can already do it themselves, the thing is if your family does it they go to jail ect. You do it yourself nothing happens they can't touch you

unless its a failed attempt of course.. which you definitely WOULD answer for in more ***you would obviously not want to go through. committing suicide isnt not illegal just because they cant do anything to you after you do.. and none of that even had to do with anything i was saying.. which was NO ONE, anywhere, ever, should HAVE to be able to kill themselves.. even if its in their absolute best interests to do so. and just as reasonably, no one else should HAVE to, or be expected to kill someone for that matter either..

dying is a very complex thing for some people (for some others it can be nothing at all of course), and by no means should you dismiss the gravity of a situation actually affected by such a debate. you make it sound like its just whatever np, and it should be the same for everyone <,< (which im sure you dont really actually think, im sure you can empathize with people), but yeah.

theres no simple answers for a lot of cases.. and just as wrong as id find it to FORCE a 12 y/o girl who was raped by her dad to have the kid, period. i find it just as wrong to tell someone that should have the right to die that they cant, period.
First Page 2 3 4