The Great Debate Redux: Euthanasia

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » The Great Debate Redux: Euthanasia
The Great Debate Redux: Euthanasia
 Seraph.Chasuro
Server: Seraph
Game: FFXI
user: Chasuro
By Seraph.Chasuro 2010-03-12 21:29:01
Link | Quote | Reply

hmm, I thought America was a free country...
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-12 21:34:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Chasuro said:
hmm, I thought America was a free country...
There is no such thing as universal freedom.

Everything will cost something. For some freedoms or sometimes security you will have to give other freedoms. In order to ensure no random people take your freedoms you have to lose the freedom to do so yourself.

Also there is no such thing as complete freedom of speech. Why? Because speech can cause damage even deaths.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-12 21:35:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Vegetto said:
Korpg, I'd kill you, even if you weren't terminally ill, even if you didn't wish to be dead. Just sayin~

If I had a reasonable expectation to get away with it, that is.
Watch out. He might eat you.

On topic. Why the hell not should a person be allowed to end there life? Seriously the poeple who do this are the ones who are generally being artifically kept alive costing rediculous amounts of money just to prolong there suffering. Wtf is the point of that? Cause we have a god complex and want to defy death?
 Asura.Israfel
Server: Asura
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2010-03-12 21:42:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I caught this one a little late, so here's my 2 cents:

I'm a Christan woman, but even as a Christian woman there are some things in the bible that I disagree with; such is the part about taking one's own life (within reason)

If you're laying there terminally ill, in pain or going to suffer in death, then I believe strongly that it's your right to choose when you go and how you go. We all have these idyllic thoughts about how we'll die, we all hope that it's peaceful or quick and painless (seriously, who wants to suffer?).
If an animal is terminally ill to the point that they'll suffer and be unable to take care of themselves, then they are euthanized; so I wonder -- Why not the same treatment for humans?

There was an interesting article recently on MSN.com about doctors administering extra morphine to child cancer patients who were dying, suffering, in an attempt to allow them pass peacefully, but they warned the parents that "The extra dose of morphine has a risk of stopping respiratory function; do you want us to proceed?"
It's a choice I could not imagine having to make, but I can honestly say I'd rather see someone pass peacefully than choking to death on cancerous tumors in their throat.

It's a sensitive topic to address, and it's great to see all the points of view.
for the religious side of things, we can argue til the moon drops from the sky about what would be right and wrong. As a christian I'll be the first person to admit that the bible is out-dated, inaccurate and that too many of its followers take the meaning to literally. Things like euthanasia, homosexuality were so taboo back then, so of course it's going to be down as "Thou shalt not do this! If you do then you're signing yourself up for a life in hell!" and let's not forget masturbation was evil too! But in a way I'd like to think humanity has 'grown up', opened its mind and become more enlightened (I guess this is the right word?) as to what is happening around us.

tl;dr ~ Even as a Christian woman, I think it's the persons right to choose.
 Fenrir.Shambo
Server: Fenrir
user: Shambo
By Fenrir.Shambo 2010-03-12 21:54:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Israfel dude you write a lot whats up
 Asura.Israfel
Server: Asura
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2010-03-12 21:58:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh I suck at putting anything in short ways :(, but if I don't write it all down, then I'll forget and I'll be like "Dangit! I forgot, that would have made sense to someone...somewhere...maybe?"

But for this kind of topic, you can't really get away with a 1 sentance reply since there's so many areas to touch on^^:
 Fairy.Vegetto
Server: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-03-12 21:59:40
Link | Quote | Reply

@Silv
"being able to ask a doctor do to it" is implying forcing them.

"Oh hey can you kill him for me"
"lolno do it yourself"
"wtf"

If that weren't the case, you can ask them now, they'd just say no, ect.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-12 22:01:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Doctors can refuse treatment ya know. They don't have to do anything really. If they don't want to kill you or just take you off all the ***keeping you alive they can just say no get another one
 Fairy.Vegetto
Server: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-03-12 22:04:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, but the way he said it still sounded like they should have to honor that request.

Otherwise it makes as much sense if me asking you if you would like to go to the movies. You can say yes or no, but why would I make a post saying "Well I should be able to ask Dasva if he would go to the movies with me!"

Aka stating the obvious, ect.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-12 22:10:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh I didn't read who you were referring too.

Either way you should be able to ask with the expectation that they would consider it and do it based on weather or not they wanted to not what someone else wanted.

Which is a bit different from your example. Unless we are somewhere where doing that might get one or both of our *** kicked in which case you can't reasonablly expect me to even consider saying yes. Even though you "should" be able to lol

Anyway it's not like it isn't legal in several states and works just fine.