Anyone Wanna Make The "Botless Asura"?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Anyone wanna make the "Botless Asura"?
Anyone wanna make the "Botless Asura"?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2023-05-21 01:13:13
Link | Quote | Reply

It's fine not to use Gearswap. I never used it, and I'm never going to use it. I lead an endgame LS and don't expect anyone to use Gearswap. Way cooler to beat content knowing you manually played the game as intended. It'd be like playing Sonic The Hedgehog with an addon that made Sonic jump over enemies when you're about to run into them. There's nothing "competitive" about this. Elite players come up with this notion that your performance matters over others, when it really doesn't. Nothing in this game requires you to use Gearswap to beat content.

No one cares that you killed something so hard it died 60 seconds quicker than an average player going without. If you want to be lazy and have 200 gearsets for every situation so you don't have to click as often, then that's fine. However, if you're the kind of player who looks down on others for not using it, then that's a problem. I know awesome players who play better than most and don't even use Windower. This obsession with performance isn't healthy. All that matters is players have fun, and groups learn from their losses and enjoy winning together. Your e-peen scoreboard drooling isn't cool, especially when 50% of the performance was done by a tool.
[+]
By zixxer 2023-05-21 01:49:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, fun should be allowed.
[+]
By Dodik 2023-05-21 02:53:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking down on others from a vanilla horse claiming they are only so good because of tools is also not cool.

Let others play how they want, it's not hurting you.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-05-21 04:37:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Things you do are not in a vacuum. They do affect others.

Yes, even when they can't see you doing it.
By RadialArcana 2023-05-21 04:41:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Nobody is going to stop using GS because people say they don't use it or because they consider it bad at this point, however affirming that it is borderline keeps it at the edge of acceptable 3rd party use.

If nobody does that, then react and worse become normalized and if that happens then what's even the point doing anything at all anymore.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2023-05-21 15:09:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Dodik said: »
Looking down on others from a vanilla horse claiming they are only so good because of tools is also not cool.

Let others play how they want, it's not hurting you.

I believe it goes against the spirit of playing a video game because it goes beyond its natural bounds, but if people need their assists so they can walk better, all the power to them. I'm not even remotely high and mighty about this, I know most of the folks I play with use it, and it's not something I have ever grilled anyone over, it's just my personal preference to not be assisted.

I play racing games with traction full and automatic gears, and that makes me slower, but I accept it because it makes it less stressful, while the elite manual geared drivers with zero traction control and no ABS brakes look at me like an idiot for not driving "properly".

In this case though, the aids are illegal, but have been normalized because SE doesn't do anything about it. But it's fine. It's their game. I stopped caring about what they do with it. Play how you want, but don't look down on others because they don't want to have to learn code to automate play for that extra performance boost.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2023-05-21 15:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Moonja said: »
Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Way cooler to beat content knowing you manually played the game as intended.

I genuinely want to know why people say things like this.

FFXI is a video game. Doing ANYTHING in it isn’t some sort of huge accomplishment.

It is a giant waste of time. That is it’s purpose.

Well, I could just cheat code Sonic The Hedgehog to get the level select to the end of the game and win, but what would be the point? What's the point in playing any game anywhere if you're not going to play as intended? Sure, if you've already beat it a million times and are just doing it for the lulz, I can understand that. But if you're trying to beat a game for the first time and just automatically go to the cheat codes any time it gets challenging, is that fulfilling? Not really. You just don't want to play the game as intended. Some people like that, but I personally want to be fulfilled by knowing I beat something as it was meant to be done. That's personal preference. It's right for me, but may not be right for others.

In this case though, the aids are illegal,

Is SE going to come and arrest me? Lol

Yes, they are. You better go on the run. They are coming.

Do people in real life walk around going “oh I did that without cheating at all! I am so awesome!”

The kind of cheating going on in real life is a million times worse than this, yet here we are.

Lol

Justifying cheating like it's just something everyone does. What's next? Robbing a bank is just cheating, it's fine. Grand theft auto? Hell yeah, it's totally cool because people do worse things like murder.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2023-05-21 15:57:36
Link | Quote | Reply

“No one cares that you killed something so hard it died 60 seconds quicker than an average player going without.”

“Way cooler to beat content knowing you manually played the game as intended“

These two sentences really don’t go together. Just saying.

Well of course they don't, because the first was about being high and mighty about performance, while the other was about my personal preference of beating games as the developer intended you to beat them. They weren't even in the same paragraph.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2023-05-21 16:00:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol man. I have people trying to steal my money irl at this moment. SE can come for me and shoot me. I will welcome them with open arms.

I'm English so I have bundles of sarcasm, which is what it was when I said SE was coming for you. They really aren't. They barely have the resources to go after RMT, nevermind actual players using addons. If they killed gearswap, half the player base would quit because they couldn't possibly play without that tool making everything easier.

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2023-05-21 16:02:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Either care or don’t care is my point. You say you don’t care what other people do yet you compare yourself to them and then add the thought that you are better than them because you don’t use those things.

Reading comprehension, man. I know why people use it. I run with people who use it. I prefer not to use it for the reasons stated. If people want to use it to assist themselves, fair enough, but they shouldn't look down on folks like myself who won't do what they do despite the performance boost. We want to play how we play for our reasons, and they want to play for the reasons they want. I've said this several times.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2023-05-21 16:08:08
Link | Quote | Reply

half the player base would quit because they couldn't possibly play without that tool making everything easier.

And this. No, I could play just fine without windower if I wanted to!

I use these things because I choose to do so. This game would not be enjoyable to me and I would just quit.

I have been doing this same crap for 20 years. I’d rather just quit.

I'm cool with Windower by the way. Am not this super vanilla player using no addons whatsoever. There is a limit for me. Quality of life stuff is cool, I just don't like the automation and things like React, ja0wait, clipping etc. You can tell who is using it, and it's up to them if they do, but I personally choose not to do that. Anyway, this isn't even slightly productive, I've said my piece and there's more interesting things to do.
[+]
By Dodik 2023-05-21 16:10:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Lots of people play very well without GS. No one's looking down at them. Best player I play with is vanilla.

The opposite often happens though, including here. Saying "50% of performance was done by a tool" is the very definition of judging and looking down on others.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2023-05-21 16:12:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Dodik said: »
Lots of people play very well without GS. No one's looking down at them. Best player I play with is vanilla.

The opposite often happens though, including here. Saying "50% of performance was done by a tool" is the very definition of judging and looking down on others.

That was exaggeration and me being overly dramatic for fun. It was having a dig at those who gloat over being #1 on scoreboard when it's obvious they were clipping and using other addons to get that advantage over others not using it.
[+]
 Asura.Essylt
user: quro
By Asura.Essylt 2023-05-21 22:04:57
Link | Quote | Reply

If they killed gearswap, half the player base would quit because they couldn't possibly play without that tool making everything easier.
I would quit not because it makes things easier, but because GS and some related addons are the only thing making the garbage UI in the game anywhere near usable.
By Seun 2023-05-21 23:49:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Essylt said: »
If they killed gearswap, half the player base would quit because they couldn't possibly play without that tool making everything easier.
I would quit not because it makes things easier, but because GS and some related addons are the only thing making the garbage UI in the game anywhere near usable.

I played the entire 75 era on a PS2 next to a PC. Windower: Analog edition. It was a lot of extra steps and horribly cluttered macros, but I think many of us wore it as a badge that we were able to perform at a high level despite the bulls#it UI.

If GS were limited to swapping equipment instead of the many other uses players devise, I think a lot of people would still quit. Many people rely too heavily on the parts of this addon that allow them to autopilot.
By Felgarr 2023-05-22 00:41:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Seun said: »

I played the entire 75 era on a PS2 next to a PC. Windower: Analog edition. It was a lot of extra steps and horribly cluttered macros, but I think many of us wore it as a badge that we were able to perform at a high level despite the bulls#it UI.

If GS were limited to swapping equipment instead of the many other uses players devise, I think a lot of people would still quit. Many people rely too heavily on the parts of this addon that allow them to autopilot.

My favorite example of this is a function in Mote's Lua that equips a different equip set based on the variety of haste buffs you have, ensuring that the gap is always closed and your character is always attacking at the most optimal speed.

Let's forget the alternative. You also have smoothbrains whose Luas spam /ws and /ja "Berserk" to the server 3-50 times/second.
 Bahamut.Chizel
Server: Bahamut
user: JDubya80
By Bahamut.Chizel 2023-05-22 01:43:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Man, I'm really late to the party here. TL;DR - No one cares about a botless Asura, because Gearswap. K.. I guess.

Hey! I don't care about that. But I wanted to say Afania can play however they want to. Gearswap it, use 27,000 macros and equipsets. I don't care, they're legit that good.

Okay, carry on with the Gearswap vs. Vanilla spectacle.
By RadialArcana 2023-05-22 02:32:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Clintbeastwood said: »
I recently pugged a couple nyzul token runs with 2 randos, 1 did the lamp and the other ignored aggro/kill restrictions on gears both runs and netted us about 5k-6k tokens each run.

This is an example of why I don't bother with PUGs for anything other than maybe ambuscade. It's just not worth the frustration.

It's petty and self-defeating, but if my options are less-than-average runs with PUGs or not running, I'd rather just stand around in town.

Was watching a video earlier about Overwatch 2, and they were stating that the higher ups were fine funding this new battle mode for the game until Diablo Immortal came out and was making them 2m dollars a day.

At that point the executives were like, why are we spending so much money on something with comparatively much lower return on investment and canceled it. They effectively just chose to stand around town and not do something cause it "wasn't worth it"

I thought of this post when I saw that lol It's a bit of a curse when your expectations are raised too much, cause you get used to that and then don't want to bother if it's below that after.

Not attacking you or anything, it's just funny that million dollar executives have the same mindset as endgame mmorpg players.
 Asura.Essylt
user: quro
By Asura.Essylt 2023-05-22 02:38:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I played the entire 75 era on a PS2 next to a PC. Windower: Analog edition.
I mean, if you actually enjoy your suffering - godspeed. I know I don't and I wouldn't hesitate to vote with my wallet if SE actually decided to enforce it on us.
By RadialArcana 2023-05-22 03:32:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, if you actually enjoy your suffering - godspeed. I know I don't and I wouldn't hesitate to vote with my wallet if SE actually decided to enforce it on us.

What you never had, you never miss.
By Seun 2023-05-22 04:16:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Many people refer to playing this game as the purest form of self-hatred.

The game was much slower and the gear just didn't exist in that era. If you look at the job guides from back then you don't see any gear sets. Most of the time you were just swapping a single or a few pieces. If you were using macros to equip gear for spells, abilities or WS then it was just the additional step of manually equipping idle or TP gear.

It was a different time though. People complete solo skillchains in the time it used to take just to get TP...
[+]
 Asura.Itsasaga
user: xXSagaXx
By Asura.Itsasaga 2023-05-22 04:22:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I totally agree with Seun,

Times changes, and people too.