Random Politics & Religion #21

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #21
Random Politics & Religion #21
First Page 2 3 ... 38 39 40 ... 50 51 52
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-03-29 17:38:29
Link | Quote | Reply

maldini said: »
I think its ironic that an American is defending Israel against any information that is presented to him, to perpetuate his view that Israel doesn't influence his country or its Politics.

You guys should loosen your tinfoil hats a little. I think the blood is being cut off to your brains.

Viciouss said: »
Don't forget to register as an agent of Israel KN.
Don't you have an ISIS recruiting session to attend?
 Shiva.Shruiken
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Shruiken 2017-03-29 17:41:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I think its ironic that an American is defending Israel against any information that is presented to him, to perpetuate his view that Israel doesn't influence his country or its Politics.

I think it's funny a bunch of people with anti-Israel sentiments throughout all of their post histories just showed up outta nowhere talking ***about Israel.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2017-03-29 17:42:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

You guys should loosen your tinfoil hats a little. I think the blood is being cut off to your brains.

Viciouss said: »
Don't forget to register as an agent of Israel KN.
Don't you have an ISIS recruiting session to attend?

Running out of memes?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-03-29 17:44:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Shruiken said: »

I think it's funny a bunch of people with anti-Israel sentiments throughout all of their post histories just showed up outta nowhere talking ***about Israel.
It's amazing, isn't it?

Not only that, but they have to make up conspiracies about how Israel had a direct influence on the elections.
[+]
By Odinz 2017-03-29 17:44:47
Link | Quote | Reply

If you mean funny "hahaha" yes, I agree.
If you mean funny "fishy", there's more than meets the eye yes. Right now we're all on an Anti-Israeli-Apatheid IIRC channel coordinating our attacks on Israel.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-03-29 17:45:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Odinz said: »
Right now we're all on an Anti-Israeli-Apatheid IIRC channel coordinating our attacks on Israel.
Like they always say, the first step on correcting a problem is admitting that you have one.
[+]
By maldini 2017-03-29 17:46:27
Link | Quote | Reply

It's amazing, isn't it?

Not only that, but they have to make up conspiracies about how Israel had a direct influence on the elections.

They aren't conspiracies.
You're just being obtuse.

Every election, every candidate goes to AIPAC's party and pledges their soul to Israel.

The only one who didn't do it was Sanders and that's why he has more respect and support than Clinton and Trump.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-03-29 17:50:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Every election, every candidate goes to AIPAC's party and pledges their soul to Israel.
Oh come on now. I'm not sure that you are being obtuse on purpose, or if it's a special gift you have.

Nobody "pledges their soul to Israel," all they are doing is trying to get more campaign funds for their election. You honestly think that their campaigns were geared specifically towards Israel-American relations?

Hell, nobody ran on that platform. It was a nice little blurb on their campaign websites, but nobody said that they were going to destroy Israel or love them.

The only one who didn't do it was Sanders and that's why he has more respect and support than Clinton and Trump.
Strange, last I saw, Trump was in the White House, not Sanders. Hell, I didn't even see his name on the ballot when I made my vote.

Now you are just making ***up.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-03-29 17:52:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
Fish isn't aware of the water until its beached.
Arabic saying, loses something in english.

That one doesn't lose meaning English, there is even a song on the concept: "let her go" -passenger.

Now something like "ya habibi" and it's translation in English is lost given the way it's used in casual conversation.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-03-29 17:53:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, since I answered your 2 questions, I have 2 questions for the tinfoilers:

1) Can you provide evidence that specifically states that Israel was a top issue in the US elections

2) Did Netanyahu achieve his goal in stopping the Iran deal that Obama made? Did you know that is what Netanyahu went to Washington to do?
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-03-29 17:59:37
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

As a kid growing up in 90's Los Angeles there was only one Israeli you had to be wary of. Gideon.

Now as an adult I am still wary:

YouTube Video Placeholder
By fonewear 2017-03-29 18:06:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Fone's the type of guy that answers rhetorical questions.
Often with a Simpsons .gif

A world without Simpsons (season 1-10) is a sad sad world indeed.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-03-29 18:10:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Newsweek is reporting that Comey wanted to go public with information on Russia's campaign to influence the U.S Presidential election in the summer of 2016 via an Op-Ed in the New York Times but was shut down by the Obama White House.
By Viciouss 2017-03-29 18:17:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Newsweek is reporting that Comey wanted to go public with information on Russia's campaign to influence the U.S Presidential election in the summer of 2016 via an Op-Ed in the New York Times but was shut down by the Obama White House.

Instead he went public with the investigation into Clinton but not the one into Trump.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-03-29 18:18:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Sweet Fancy Moses, what happened to this thread in the short time I was away? Is there a some kind of Bat Signal for antisemites to coordinate their spiels?
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-03-29 18:29:39
Link | Quote | Reply

All I see is nothing.

Yup, figured as much.
Of course you see nothing.

The ones who see Israeli influence in American politics fall into several groups.

American Jews. Israeli citizens. Moslems who follow American politics. American politicians.

I do not think any of those are on your check list.

As a left of center American Jew I rather agree with Blazed and maldini. And I do wonder when Texas passed recreational marijuana and what strain are you smoking?
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-03-29 18:37:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
Fish isn't aware of the water until its beached.
Arabic saying, loses something in english.
Oh, we refer to that as the boiled lobster or frog syndrome. In the American northwest, which used to have many jobs relating to logging and forest products, its sometimes called the boiled logger syndrome.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-03-29 18:45:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Um....

Y'all seem to be confounding some factors here. First of all, practically every country with which we interact has some degree of influence in elections. This is normal and impossible to prevent.

And then you have the people who throw on the tinfoil hats and greatly exaggerate the influence of any given nation based on their own political (or other) bias.
[+]
 Shiva.Shruiken
By Shiva.Shruiken 2017-03-29 18:52:09
Link | Quote | Reply

No one's denying that Israel influences American politics. Just not on the scale these 3 claim.

As a left of center American Jew I rather agree with Blazed and maldini.

You're agreeing with anti-semites that despise Israel and want to see it burn. Here's a quote Blazed, from this thread.

Blazed said:
The Gulf states are investing their money in so much economical development they might seem like they dont care about the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. Everyone would be wrong to assume this. We're just pacing ourselves. Cuz when we're ready, we will make our move and we will retrieve Jerusalem.

Their post histories are chock full of batshit anti-semitic and anti-Israel stuff.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-03-29 19:06:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Shruiken, I was raised to be a Zionist. Trees were planted in Israel in my name.

But while I still defend the concept of a Jewish homeland, and the never again stuff, I weep about what Israel has become.

Nor do I defend its Arab neighbors. But you know Blazed and maldin have it more right than KN does.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-03-29 19:10:02
Link | Quote | Reply

And some actual good news from the Trump white house:

Quote:
(Newser) – After ethics experts raised concerns about her acting as a informal adviser to her father, Ivanka Trump will join her husband as an unpaid government employee, the New York Times reports. Critics worried Ivanka Trump, who already has an office in the White House, could skirt ethics rules while advising President Trump, despite her promising to voluntarily comply with them. Sen. Elizabeth Warren sent a letter to the Office of Government Ethics on Wednesday, asking how ethics rules would apply to the president's daughter, according to the AP.

A short time later, Ivanka Trump announced she would take an official position as an unpaid White House adviser with the title "assistant to the president." She says this will allow her to be "subject to all of the same rules as other federal employees." Those rules include prohibitions on conflicts of interest. Releases from both Ivanka Trump and the White House call her new position "unprecedented." CNBC notes that Ivanka Trump has already sat in on her father's meetings with German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-03-29 19:10:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't say anti-Semitic. They are Semites since covers pretty much all the peoples that live in and around the Fertile Crescent.

Anti-Ashkenazi is probably more accurate.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-03-29 19:14:05
Link | Quote | Reply

And just in case any still think liberals are destroying the necualr power option....

Toshiba Throws In Nuclear Towel: Chapter 11 for Westinghouse
Challenges proved too great—and may be nuclear industry harbinger

Quote:
(Newser) – More fallout from Toshiba's reported "nuclear" loss last month, this time in the form of a bankruptcy filing. In what the AP says was a "largely expected" move, Toshiba noted in a statement Wednesday that its Westinghouse nuclear unit has submitted a Chapter 11 petition to the US Bankruptcy Court of New York. This announcement leaves up in the air what's going to happen to four still-to-be-finished nuclear reactors in South Carolina and Georgia, which were plagued with surpassed budgets and missed deadlines, per the Wall Street Journal. Reuters reports that Toshiba—which ventured into nuclear waters when it purchased Westinghouse for $5.4 billion in 2006—is expecting to take a $9 billion loss for the year ending March 31.

The New York Times details some of the company's challenges in the nuclear industry, including more affordable forms of other alternative energy, such as wind and solar power, as well as safety fears spurred by the 2011 Fukushima disaster. A Westinghouse statement says that while the firm attempts to reorganize under Chapter 11 parameters, it will be kept afloat by special $800 million financing. Reuters notes the bankruptcy will allow Westinghouse to figure out whether it's worth it to keep plugging ahead on the nuclear reactor projects, some of which are only about a third completed. Some say Toshiba's unique situation can be applied more broadly to the nuclear industry in general. "This … illustrates that there is no bright future for nuclear anymore," a consultant tells the Journal, which notes that Westinghouse boldly proclaims "We Are Nuclear Energy" on its site.
Valuable links in the original.
 Shiva.Shruiken
By Shiva.Shruiken 2017-03-29 19:27:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't say anti-Semitic. They are Semites since covers pretty much all the peoples that live in and around the Fertile Crescent.

Semitic is an obsolete term outside of linguistics.

Anyway, I'm not tryna get into an Israeli-Palestinian discussion. Especially with those 3! Just saying I'd take anything they say with a grain of salt.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-03-29 19:28:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Right and wrong both.

Arabs are semites. Turks are not. Ashkenazim aren't nearly all the Jews. The word is really anti-Jewish.

P. S. I have been pointing this out FOREVER here.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-03-29 19:39:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Semitic is an obsolete term outside of linguistics.

Obsolete or not it's a good practice to use it accurately. Wouldn't want to have another misappropriation of a term, for instance the Indo-Iranian "Aryan"
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-03-29 19:42:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Right and wrong both.

Arabs are semites. Turks are not. Ashkenazim aren't nearly all the Jews. The word is really anti-Jewish.

P. S. I have been pointing this out FOREVER here.

Sometimes it seems it's the European transplants that get all the hate which is why I used it.
 Shiva.Shruiken
By Shiva.Shruiken 2017-03-29 19:46:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Obsolete or not it's a good practice to use it accurately.

Quote:
The root word Semite gives the false impression that antisemitism is directed against all Semitic people. However, the compound word antisemite was popularized in Germany in 1879 as a scientific-sounding term for Judenhass "Jew-hatred", and that has been its common use since then.

Language evolves. The proper terminology for hostility or prejudice against Jews is "antisemitism", not Anti-Ashkenazi.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-03-29 20:10:36
Link | Quote | Reply

As a left of center American Jew I rather agree with Blazed and maldini.
Well, I feel sorry for you then.

You, of course, have a vested interest in Israel. Can you state the same for everyone else? If not everyone else, how about you give a percentage of the population?

Also, you missed the key point: Israel did not have a direct or indirect influence on the American election. Can you tell me how many times Israel was mentioned by any candidate? Hell, Russia was (probably) mentioned 100+ times greater during the campaign than Israel.

It's not a large or important topic for average Americans. Like you said, you have to be in a very specific group, and even then, I highly doubt the wellbeing of Israel was even in the top 5 topics for those people in your group (outside of Israeli citizens, of course, because they are human just like everyone else, regardless of what some people here say).
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2017-03-29 20:37:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Um....

Y'all seem to be confounding some factors here. First of all, practically every country with which we interact has some degree of influence in elections. This is normal and impossible to prevent.

And then you have the people who throw on the tinfoil hats and greatly exaggerate the influence of any given nation based on their own political (or other) bias.

Incoming goalpost change.

Libs will switch narrative from Russia "hacked" to Russia "tried to influenced" and all the useful idiots will refuse to notice, stamping and kicking their feet as loud as necessary to maintain levels of cognitive dissonance never thought possible before.
First Page 2 3 ... 38 39 40 ... 50 51 52