First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-09-24 13:36:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Selindrile said: »
For what it's worth, Blu is pretty good in several fights, I can see it on orbs in Nexus I suppose because it has a good fast claim in Glutinous Dart.
if you're doing nexus right(3 dd/nin, cor or geo, brd, whm), you should be killing form1 before the orbs wake up from troub and form2 before troub songs wear off, so no need to worry about them

Quote:
Blu is effing amazing in incursion, I always try to bring one if I can find a decent one, Sudden Lunge is amazing on fodder, (though useless on bosses) it really cuts down on annoyance, and thus time spent debuffed, etc when killing trash. Also why not have someone else who can sleepga, and AoE erase can be extremely good there too.
shouldn't waste a dd's dps on shitty stuns, bring a sch and you'll stop every tp move and gain much more dps than the mobs gain hp

anyone can explain a situation in a favorable or negative way, but without statistics it doesn't carry much weight and it's hard to show a model where blu's support will compare to a more optimized setup.. fully buffed party slots are the most important resource to maximize in essentially any setup
By Unexpekted 2014-09-24 13:51:44
Link | Quote | Reply

One of the reasons I stopped logging in. On Valefor it's literally <event do you need it?> <WHM MNK BRD x 4 can I have it?>
 Sylph.Sagiaurex
Server: Sylph
user: Sagiaurex
By Sylph.Sagiaurex 2014-09-24 13:55:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oraen said: »
I'm superbly biased here, as BLU has been my favorite job since its conception, but it's rough to see it go underappreciated these days. They offer so much utility in the forms of buffs, debuffs, CC, heals and status cures that it's ridiculous. Let's not forget that with WAR sub, they are one of only two job combinations capable of having innate Double Attack and Triple Attack, the only other being THF/WAR. I think if people stopped running every single group as a complete cookie-cutter strategy, they would be pleasantly surprised by what BLU offers. However, I do have to say that I understand the stigma against the job. Far too often you would see BLUs TPing in full AF3+2 back in Abyssea, and I still see them running around in Hagondes for TP. It's a job that requires understanding and practice, but when you develop those two traits, it can amaze.

But everything has to be optimal man
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-09-24 14:01:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Sagiaurex said: »

hyperbole

nobody cares what job you bring if you want to make your own group or participate in your own group

the basis of the thread is that 'people should invite blus more cuz theyre awesome and stuff'.. being flippant about optimization doesn't present any compelling reason for that to change
 Leviathan.Syagin
user: Kerron
By Leviathan.Syagin 2014-09-24 14:06:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Sylph.Sagiaurex said: »

hyperbole

nobody cares what job you bring if you want to make your own group or participate in your own group

the basis of the thread is that 'people should invite blus more cuz theyre awesome and stuff'.. being flippant about optimization doesn't present any compelling reason for that to change

That's basiclly the bottom line.
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2014-09-24 14:11:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Unexpekted said: »
One of the reasons I stopped logging in. On Valefor it's literally <event do you need it?> <WHM MNK BRD x 4 can I have it?>

That MNK is gonna be buffed to hell though!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-09-24 14:14:18
Link | Quote | Reply

At this rate I'm lucky if any of the shout runs make it out of Adoulin, its like 3 hours of shouting for a *** tank.
 Leviathan.Syagin
user: Kerron
By Leviathan.Syagin 2014-09-24 14:27:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
At this rate I'm lucky if any of the shout runs make it out of Adoulin, its like 3 hours of shouting for a *** tank.
Play around with different set-ups for ***. Not as is merits is the issue anymore.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-09-24 14:29:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Typically you need a tank in D-tier content, which is the big hangup for most. N? Whatever goes. VD isn't even on my radar in a PUG.
[+]
 Asura.Failaras
Server: Asura
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2014-09-24 14:36:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Who needs a tank with 4 Brds and a Mnk.
[+]
 Asura.Loire
user: Bunnygod
By Asura.Loire 2014-09-24 15:21:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Failaras said: »
Need someone to hold hate from all the dps those brds are doing. Mantra alone from the mnk won't be enough to keep those suave singers afloat.
[+]
 Leviathan.Sagiaurex
user: Sagiaurex
By Leviathan.Sagiaurex 2014-09-24 15:33:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Loire said: »
Asura.Failaras said: »
Need someone to hold hate from all the dps those brds are doing. Mantra alone from the mnk won't be enough to keep those suave singers afloat.

Plus the WHMs probably not gonna cure
By Selindrile 2014-09-24 15:42:45
Link | Quote | Reply

if you're doing nexus right(3 dd/nin, cor or geo, brd, whm), you should be killing form1 before the orbs wake up from troub and form2 before troub songs wear off, so no need to worry about them

I generally agree with you here, but not every group is so blessed in the DD department, Blu can also sleep them if it comes to that, just saying if you have someone on the job "kill the orbs" Blu is an alright choice for this.

shouldn't waste a dd's dps on shitty stuns, bring a sch and you'll stop every tp move and gain much more dps than the mobs gain hp

Hahahah, shitty stuns? Blus keep trash pretty much permastunned, they usually die in my LS with 1-2 lunges, never becoming unstunned.

Also, maybe you have access to better Schs than me, but people miss ***pretty often in pickups, we usually bring Rdm stunners anyway who can't quite catch everything because 8 seconds is a long time, and they miss things sometimes buffing/debuffing, obviously the Blu stun is of no help on the NMs, but they make the trash mobs go super quick and painless.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-09-24 16:09:48
Link | Quote | Reply

'permastun' vs one melee round getting through and one tp move being stunned is pretty irrelevant, you do have a whm

the main difference is that you lose 3-4 seconds of melee time on a buffed dps every time a blu stuns, and since party construction limits how many buffed dps you have available it's not very efficient to do so

(can blu really sleep orbs on vd? my brd can't without n/t and i have every piece of m.acc gear available)
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2014-09-24 16:21:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure that BLU sleeps defy the laws of FFXI magic. They almost always seem to land.
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-09-26 11:03:28
Link | Quote | Reply

'permastun' vs one melee round getting through and one tp move being stunned is pretty irrelevant, you do have a whm

the main difference is that you lose 3-4 seconds of melee time on a buffed dps every time a blu stuns, and since party construction limits how many buffed dps you have available it's not very efficient to do so

(can blu really sleep orbs on vd? my brd can't without n/t and i have every piece of m.acc gear available)
Yes.
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2014-09-26 11:10:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Think it's due to BLU's being dark-based in this case, at least I was told from an LS member that they are much more susceptible to dark-based sleeps than light-based for that fight. Never really gone and tested, since t/n lullabying is what we do for Nexus as well as it's pretty much fail-proof.
 Siren.Sieha
Server: Siren
user: Sieha1
By Siren.Sieha 2014-09-26 11:59:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oraen said: »
I'm superbly biased here, as BLU has been my favorite job since its conception, but it's rough to see it go underappreciated these days.

If a blu is complaining about not being invited its more often the fact that they are terrible.

blu is a job that either you are great at or you suck there is no middle ground and it is not very easy to perform well with.

If someone puts the time in and gears their blu correctly then yes it has a place in most of the content, but most blu's are wearing skirmish gear and bayld armor... Then they parse about 20% of what a poorly geared sam does.

this is what blu's are known for. barely passable dd, unused potential in their utility function, lack of understand on their job to the point of melee swinging and using some random dd spells.

Blu is not as bad as Pup when you talk about replacement dd's but its coming close.

Bottom line really is, make yourself stand out by being exceptional at that job and gearing it correctly or deal with the same issue that other terrible player have.
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2014-09-26 14:48:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Presidentmerman said: »
Ragnarok.Worldslost said: »
For the record I'm not talking about me, I have to be one of the top five blue mages on my server. I am talking in general. Blu should be included in the shout period for just what it brings to the table as a job. It offers to much to be swept under the rug.
Top BLU? News to me. Just sayin

Not enough BLU on Ragnarok I guess!

Siren.Sieha said: »
If a blu is complaining about not being invited its more often the fact that they are terrible.

I wanted to post the parse with OP when I saw this thread, but decided not to be the bad guy!

I complained about not getting invite on BLU fairly often, at least I accepted the fact that I'm terrible at it!
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2014-09-26 15:38:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, a DD that can stun can just kill different target and let SAM solo their target with a stunner. Since fodders has so little HP, you can probably use dmg more efficiently if DD solo fodders.
By Presidentmerman 2014-09-26 16:01:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said: »
For the record I'm not talking about me, I have to be one of the top five blue mages on my server. I am talking in general. Blu should be included in the shout period for just what it brings to the table as a job. It offers to much to be swept under the rug.

I wanted to post the parse with OP when I saw this thread, but decided not to be the bad guy!

I complained about not getting invite on BLU fairly often, at least I accepted the fact that I'm terrible at it!

Agreed =) I'll take the parse challenge.
 Leviathan.Mckeag
user: Tajinjr
By Leviathan.Mckeag 2014-09-26 16:02:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Everyone here talking about blu mage and not realizing PUP is king
By Presidentmerman 2014-09-26 16:05:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Mckeag said: »
Everyone here talking about blu mage and not realizing PUP is king
I'll second that for sure.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-26 16:09:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Mckeag said: »
Everyone here talking about blu mage and not realizing PUP WAR is king
Agreed.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2014-09-26 16:29:41
Link | Quote | Reply

You're not on Rag :(
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2014-09-26 17:36:50
Link | Quote | Reply

As a career blu it always hurts me when I'm forced to play another job and then watch the dd do far worse than what blu could have contributed. Lately it has been incursion that has excluded what should be a key job for the event. I land with ease dream flower and watched the brd struggle to keep them slept. I have seen the word erase in my chat log more than anything else knowing I have an AOE erase that I can spam, I have With PDT held the NM while others cleared adds and let's not forget to mention I out parse monks and some samurais on the regular.. This isn't me venting it's me saying stop hating on what is one of the best jobs in the game because you don't understand it.

haha, yeah, BLU is pretty cool and fun in Incursion. I stream it when I can: http://www.twitch.tv/giraffeme I think there are some past videos of doing the event if they needed some reassurance. And I'm by no means the best BLU.
 Ragnarok.Worldslost
By Ragnarok.Worldslost 2014-09-26 18:44:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Let me know when, and make sure I'm not tanking, erasing and AOE cure next time you ninja parse me..
 Odin.Terren
Server: Odin
By Odin.Terren 2014-09-26 18:48:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I think in some ways this speaks to a broader issue - the relative skill and knowledge of PUGs.

On Odin there's really three kinds of PUGs - Veterans who shout all the time and know exactly what they want, tentatively-new-players-to-leading-events (ie middle-of-the-road players that don't have enough LS mates to do it themselves) that just wanna get #$@# done, and, well, players lacking in knowledge and social skills that believe shouting for something = automatic win.

A complaint you see in a number of discussion forums is that content is "first cleared by the statics", and "the rest of us" have to rely on PUGs. I think for the skilled player that doesn't have a 'static', this is a prime opportunity to help raise the level of skill on your server.

Quite frankly: talk to the leader, explain the value of a BLU in their event, and offer to help them with any strategy concerns or places where they're missing information.

Incursion is a great example - a billion status effects that BLU can remove easily, fantastic opportunity for BLU-based sleeps and crowd control, and quite frankly, BLU removing the pressure from BRDs for sleeps - as the BRDs seem to be constantly playing buff songs from the dispelga spam.

BLU is a great DD, but I don't think selling yourself as such, and only that, is really doing the job justice. It's also a hard sell to players running the "PLD RNG RNG RNG RNG RNG RNG RNG RNG RNG RNG RNG RNG RNG RNG RNG RNG RNG" strategies or other cookie-cutter setups for a lot of end-game content. But frequently these days, it's difficult for PUGs to make that perfect cookie-cutter setup - let alone fill it with skilled/geared players - so explaining what a BLU can add to the situation and how it might help round-out the "real life" implementation of their plan can be really useful.

That all being said, be realistic. A BLU in a constant amnesia-ga, silence-ga situation isn't going to perform up to snuff. NIN, for example, can output some of the highest DPS in the game and, well-geared, significantly outperform other DD jobs on content like AAs and DM2. You throw the same NIN at Wopket and suddenly pDIF destroys that damage output (not entirely, but they won't be out-DDing any SAMs on that tree).

I guess the misguided idea I'm stabbing at here is to try to educate and negotiate if you need to get content through a PUG. If the leader won't hear any of it - honestly, chances are they will fail anyway and you'll have saved yourself three hours of misery. If it's a veteran leader, let them know you're a competent, well-geared BLU, and you'd love to play the job with them sometime in the future when there's an opportunity, if you can't join them that night. And if it's a poor noob scrambling to get crap done and clearly has no idea what they're doing - offer to help. A lot. They might appreciate it.

in short: don't let the lukewarm BS of PUGs get you down on your job. Turn that #@$@ around and edumacate a noob.
By Presidentmerman 2014-09-26 18:49:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Let me know when, and make sure I'm not tanking, erasing and AOE cure next time you ninja parse me..

Burned you Afa. World just did lol
By Presidentmerman 2014-09-26 19:18:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
As a career blu it always hurts me when I'm forced to play another job and then watch the dd do far worse than what blu could have contributed. Lately it has been incursion that has excluded what should be a key job for the event. I land with ease dream flower and watched the brd struggle to keep them slept. I have seen the word erase in my chat log more than anything else knowing I have an AOE erase that I can spam, I have With PDT held the NM while others cleared adds and let's not forget to mention I out parse monks and some samurais on the regular.. This isn't me venting it's me saying stop hating on what is one of the best jobs in the game because you don't understand it.

haha, yeah, BLU is pretty cool and fun in Incursion. I stream it when I can: http://www.twitch.tv/griaffeme I think there are some past videos of doing the event if they needed some reassurance. And I'm by no means the best BLU.
Shameless plug! Lol
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7