Which One To Make First? Apoc Or Rag?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Which one to make first? Apoc or Rag?
Which one to make first? Apoc or Rag?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-02-06 15:04:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
ITT: You would use apocalypse for DD and not for the situations that it's actually useful, thus it's statistically inferior and should never be made ever
The situations that it's 'actually useful' encompass using some combination of shitty mages, shitty buffs, or shitty strategies. You can't strategically place your 'cures', and if you have an active healer paying attention to you you're much more likely to cost them 50 mp by 0ing their cure than you are to save yourself. If DRK actually needed more haste flexibility, it'd be a better weapon for hybrid.. but at absolute best it should only be used for LR down and doing that is impractical.
 Phoenix.Dramatica
Server: Phoenix
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2013-02-06 15:09:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Once again, there are plenty of lowman situations that would see better use of apoc than ragnarok. BRD+apoc drk is going to work on many things, BRD+ragnarok drk will not. I'd still prefer Apoc on HQ salvage over ragnarok in almost all situations too. You're going to need to play a lot more defensively on some of the harder hitting mobs otherwise I'd think. Neither is better, both encompass different uses. Ragnarok may see more use due to the nature of current content, but it doesn't mean it will always be that way either.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-02-06 15:10:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Just to clear any possible misunderstanding: not being better doesn't mean it's ***, there are some relics that are a complete waste, but I don't think apoc is one of those.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-02-06 15:27:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Ragnarok may see more use due to the nature of current content, but it doesn't mean it will always be that way either.
Probably the best way to put it.

Salvage: BRD+Apoc for salv2.. but I feel like that might be a bit risky as you get to higher floors. It might work, it's likely the best example since you don't run a risk of dying from fast damage until the end and the haste will actually do something on earlier floors.

NNI? Arguably usable here. Damage/second is more relevant than most places, but the limits are still pretty loose. At least the heals can be nice here if mage isn't nearby.

Voidwatch? I don't know any educated DD that'd go without buffs. Defensive ability almost entirely wasted.

Legion? Buffs and mages a must.

Odin2? Buffs and mages a must.

Provenance? Buffs and mages a must.

Abyssea? Probably a poor job choice to begin with, but unless you're solo it's unlikely the defensive stuff will do anything.

Solo/Old Content? You should be bringing a healer anyway, at which point it doesn't matter. There may be a couple of fights that DRK can reliably solo using catastrophe as a support system but I have my doubts that it's a practical way to do so.

New content that seperates you from mages or creates unique situations could drastically change the weapon's usefulness for the better. It has a strong set of attributes, it's just that people place extremely little value on cures atm. Mages have unlimited MP everywhere if your BRDs don't suck, fast cast is plentiful, the more valuable defensive trait is ability to avoid one-shots.

I find it difficult to believe that anyone would recommend apocalypse given this, but it's not a worthless weapon. It's got the old-school feel, it has potential to gain usefulness in the future, and it looks cool. That's why I made mine, I'm just not going to be delusional about it's applications atm.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-02-06 15:45:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I have decided to stick with my original plan of making Ragnarok. I will absolutely love to have both one day, as Dark Knight is a job I have loved since 2004, and the only thing I would need after that is a Liberator lol.

Apoc is a great weapon, but Ragnarok will help me to reach my maximum potential in terms of damage dealing. Having a Relic weapon will be a great achievement for me, and I am definitely not one of those bandwagon DRKs who only play it for the numbers.

Let the hate and evil flow through you all, and welcome death in open arms, as only a Dark Knight can.
[+]
 Siren.Thoraeon
Server: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2013-02-06 16:23:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Ragnarok will help me to reach my maximum potential in terms of damage dealing .... I am definitely not one of those bandwagon DRKs who only play it for the numbers.
Technically, yes you are.

But, you will not regret Ragnarok, it is an amazing weapon. Good luck.
[+]
 Fenrir.Evildemon
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Evildemon 2013-02-06 16:37:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Thoraeon said: »
Ragnarok will help me to reach my maximum potential in terms of damage dealing .... I am definitely not one of those bandwagon DRKs who only play it for the numbers.
Technically, yes you are.

But, you will not regret Ragnarok, it is an amazing weapon. Good luck.

Technically? Making a Ragnarok at this point in ffxi is completely bandwagon especially if your looking at damage. To be fair though if you've cared about drk for years and years then it would be apoc that would be the dream weapon. But that's just my opinion. I'm sure you'll have fun with the rag
[+]
 Asura.Rucks
Server: Asura
user: Seravolk
By Asura.Rucks 2013-02-06 16:44:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Solo ... You should be bringing a healer anyway

Because soloing something on DRK means bringing a healer.
[+]
 Asura.Fondue
user: Caliber
By Asura.Fondue 2013-02-06 16:50:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I do wonder how the ability to self sc darkness every other ws set as the only dd on a target is for damage though
 Asura.Rucks
By Asura.Rucks 2013-02-06 16:56:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I myself am currently trying to sell my K. Club so I can finish my Apoc, loved DRK ever since I started playing. While Rag is nice, and the epeen numbers are wicked sick, you just can't beat the look, feel, and ascetics of a golden scythe on your back.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dramatica
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2013-02-06 16:58:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Fondue said: »
I do wonder how the ability to self sc darkness every other ws set as the only dd on a target is for damage though
For solo DD, I would imagine it closes the gap by a pretty huge amount.
 Cerberus.Drayco
user: Drayco
By Cerberus.Drayco 2013-02-06 17:03:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I finished rag few weeks ago... Not impressed with it on drk at all. Its a war weapon. If drk is your goal, then do apoc. If you wanna be the best you can be, make both. Apoc until you get into a zerg situation
 Cerberus.Taint
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2013-02-06 17:12:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Drayco said: »
I finished rag few weeks ago... Not impressed with it on drk at all. Its a war weapon. If drk is your goal, then do apoc. If you wanna be the best you can be, make both. Apoc until you get into a zerg situation

User error
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-02-06 17:15:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I finished rag few weeks ago... Not impressed with it on drk at all. Its a war weapon. If drk is your goal, then do apoc.
Wha..??
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-02-06 17:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Stop using Ground Strike
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-02-06 17:17:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Or Scrouge.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-02-06 17:21:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I meant not being bandwagon, as in, I didn't just level DRK and get a Ragnarok for the epeen numbers. I was a DRK back in the day when everyone would just call it lolDRK. Choosing to do a Ragnarok does not make it a bandwagon, because I will eventually get both anyway. I got Redemption because I love the job, not because of the numbers.

Also Quietus is my favourite weapon skill in the game. I can be Batman for a moment.
 Asura.Rucks
By Asura.Rucks 2013-02-06 17:22:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I meant not being bandwagon, as in, I didn't just level DRK and get a Ragnarok for the epeen numbers. I was a DRK back in the day when everyone would just call it lolDRK. Choosing to do a Ragnarok does not make it a bandwagon, because I will eventually get both anyway. I got Redemption because I love the job, not because of the numbers.

Also Quietus is my favourite weapon skill in the game. I can be Batman for a moment.
Error 404: *** not found.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-02-06 17:23:11
Link | Quote | Reply

"Do a Rag or you're a gimp!"
"Ok, doing Rag."
"OMG SO BANDWAGON!!!"

#ffxiah
[+]
 Phoenix.Dramatica
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2013-02-06 17:24:59
Link | Quote | Reply

True story. lol
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-02-06 17:26:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
"Do a Rag or you're a gimp!"
"Ok, doing Rag."
"OMG SO BANDWAGON!!!"

#ffxiah

Exactly what I thought. Screw it, gonna make a Liberator instead, time to live the rest of my days in Salvage. I won't be back for a while.
 Cerberus.Detzu
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2013-02-06 17:26:36
Link | Quote | Reply

War shouldn't use rag beside mighty strikes zerg, it's definitely a drk weapon.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-02-06 17:37:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I could never understand why anyone suddenly becomes a bandwagoner for making a weapon that many others have made too. Does it mean any WAR who makes an Ukon is a bandwagoner? Or a MNK with a Vere?

I was under the impression a bandwagoner was someone who only jumps to a job because it is the "in" thing, and it happens to be the strongest at the time. I can admit to being a bandwagoner BST, I would never use it if it wasn't so damn good. Oh well, logic hurts.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2013-02-06 17:38:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I really don't get these threads. Everyone starting them already has all the information they need.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-02-06 17:41:45
Link | Quote | Reply

ScaevolaBahamut said: »
I really don't get these threads. Everyone starting them already has all the information they need.

There is a difference between information and experience. I don't have the personal experience of owning these weapons, whereas others do. Also I saw in another thread that people were arguing over what was better, so I decided to make this thread, as it made me question whether I am going to make the right weapon or not.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2013-02-06 17:43:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Apoc gives you a lot of self-healing and options to wear substantial PDT. Rag does more damage; enough to arguably make Apoc's advantages moot. You already knew this, most likely.

What other relevant questions could anyone else possibly answer for you?
[+]
 Odin.Sawtelle
Server: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-02-06 17:43:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never considered bandwagoning a bad thing. In general people that adapt and move to the "better" jobs accomplish more and are more beneficial than those that pick 1-2 jobs and refuse to play anything but those jobs.

The stigma against bandwagoning comes from players with subpar gear switching to the better jobs and becoming able to do content. Better geared players view this as "That gear is so bad, they should be on a better geared job and stop wasting my time." Of course, the flaw in this logic is the assumption that everyone has a better geared job. In general if someone a full pink ninja in abyssea, or perle bst in dyna, it is because thats their most efficient job for the roll.
[+]
 Fenrir.Evildemon
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Evildemon 2013-02-06 17:44:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Rucks said: »
I myself am currently trying to sell my K. Club so I can finish my Apoc, loved DRK ever since I started playing. While Rag is nice, and the epeen numbers are wicked sick, you just can't beat the look, feel, and ascetics of a golden scythe on your back.

Amen to that, I remember before I got mine I would sometimes use wardrobe to see what it would like to carry it, gave me butterflies just the shitty part was then I never took drk out of Jeuno, cause if I was in abyssea War or Nin was more useful and Neo nyzul wasn't around yet and I hadn't gotten into doing vw a lot at that time.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-02-06 17:44:55
Link | Quote | Reply

They were already answered, read the thread. If you have no interest in these types of threads why are you posting in them?
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-02-06 17:45:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I have decided to stick with my original plan of making Ragnarok. I will absolutely love to have both one day, as Dark Knight is a job I have loved since 2004, and the only thing I would need after that is a Liberator lol.

Apoc is a great weapon, but Ragnarok will help me to reach my maximum potential in terms of damage dealing. Having a Relic weapon will be a great achievement for me, and I am definitely not one of those bandwagon DRKs who only play it for the numbers.

Let the hate and evil flow through you all, and welcome death in open arms, as only a Dark Knight can.

Ehh a lot of the "old guard" DRK's hate one Rag because it made their Apoc's much less valuable. GSWD being such a sh!t weapon for seven ~ eight (or was it nine?) years only rubs salt into the wound. It would be like if SE made a DMG:160 Delay:450 Acc +40 Atk +40 Staff while simultaneously creating a 5~6 hit 100% STR staff WS. You'd see a bunch of WAR's suddenly using staff and all the 99 Ukon holders crying tears.

Anyhow each weapon serves a different use. Rag is for putting out high volumes of damage, Apoc is for putting out lessor volumes of damage while staying alive via a PDT set. Apoc only really shines in 3 ~ 4 man situations. Seeing as there is currently a good amount of small group content, it might be beneficial to make both eventually.
[+]