Which One To Make First? Apoc Or Rag?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Which one to make first? Apoc or Rag?
Which one to make first? Apoc or Rag?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Asura.Failaras
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2013-02-06 11:59:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
10% haste is not non-existant, especially at the higher end of the spectrum. Rag being in 16% haste sets 71% of the time is not the same as apoc only needing 3% 71% of the time. The "good gear that still has haste" would be bale head leaving you STILL 10% haste ahead even after wasting 3 haste. In the mid-buff situations you still have apoc losing gear while rag is only hitting equip haste cap.
Bale Head +2 and Phorcys Legs cover all your haste needs for LR up Ragnarok and are also basically unbeatable in those slots even forgoing the haste (unless you need phorcys head for STP which makes no difference). Apoc is a toy for bad healers, low floors of salvage, and soloing. Get ragnarok, do damages like a good Drk should.

Quote:
I am torn 50/50 on which one to make. On one hand, I could make an Apoc, making things like Meebles and Neo Nyzul (Something I have yet to get into, and really need too) much easier. However Ragnarok would help me out in high buff situations like VW. However there ain't really any other places I could think of using my Ragnarok over an Apoc. In VW, i do respectful damage already with my Fulgurante, pulling hate off empyrean/relic DDs who may not be bashing their weapon skill macro as much as they should. I can also see that having an Apoc would be very helpful in those certain VW fights where staggers are not coming as fast as they should, and your mage is down.
Ragnarok is just as good if not better for NNI (Honestly I really like Ragnarok warrior for NNI but it really doesn't matter). I have no experience in meebles but just as basically every event besides the ones I listed I can almost garuntee Ragnarok is better. Ragnarok is always better in VW, the healing shouldn't even matter there no matter how hard a fight it is.
 Fenrir.Leoheart
Server: Fenrir
user: Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2013-02-06 12:08:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes... In NNI you're going to have Regen V and embrava active, so unless you're training gods through there the utility of Catastrophe is kind of wasted in there too.
 Cerberus.Detzu
Server: Cerberus
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2013-02-06 12:24:30
Link | Quote | Reply

You're all talking about utility when it comes to apoc, you have a misconception of what is possible to do as a DD with this scythe and even though Rag in the right hands is better, there's no way Apoc should be dismissed as a solo weapon.

That said do the weapon you think you'll the most.
 Fenrir.Evildemon
By Fenrir.Evildemon 2013-02-06 12:33:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Well since you have the oat I'd say do apoc first. I have apoc and sometimes wouldn't mind rag as well but I enjoy it a lot and hate getting on other jobs because of how much I like apoc. Plus ash man has a killer script for it :D
 Fenrir.Evildemon
By Fenrir.Evildemon 2013-02-06 12:37:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Leoheart said: »
Yes... In NNI you're going to have Regen V and embrava active, so unless you're training gods through there the utility of Catastrophe is kind of wasted in there too.

I've had times where regen and embrava aren't enough so no it's not really wasted.
 Phoenix.Dramatica
Server: Phoenix
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2013-02-06 12:39:19
Link | Quote | Reply

If I had an apocalypse I would probably see it used mostly in salvage2. While the utility isn't always useful, there are certainly times where it's a really nice convenience. I would also imagine that an apoc DRK could use a brd over a WHM healer in many cases, and that would make up for losing resolution.
 Lakshmi.Neboh
Server: Lakshmi
user: Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2013-02-06 12:41:58
Link | Quote | Reply

You see a lot of bandwagon Rag DRKs because of the epeen numbers and outputs from Rag. There are other greatswords that don't fall too behind it unfortunately.

That being said, Apoc personally (and I have both 99 as well) is not the best in pure damage but it's up there for content like VW. I'm not going to explain Apoc's utility already because it's been said and done.

I'm going to conclude saying that Apoc is very nice and can't be replaced. However, if they nerf Resolution, will you still be using a Ragnarok? Hmmm...
 Siren.Thoraeon
Server: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2013-02-06 12:45:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dramatica said: »
If I had an apocalypse I would probably see it used mostly in salvage2. While the utility isn't always useful, there are certainly times where it's a really nice convenience.
One of the reasons I am working on Apoc right now.

For the whole Apoc vs Rag first:

If you want to bee the heaviest dd around, the Ragnarok is your best bet. Hands down the best great sword in the game, and War can use as well.

If you want to have alot of versatility, get Apoc. You can easily get a decent great sword for when need to hit stuff harder, but nothing replaces an Apoc for what it can do.

I got Rag first due to dd reasons, but I am currently working on Apoc.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-02-06 12:58:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Going purely by Kylos' responses I would say Apocalicks. And if you do be sure to make proper sets for it, I've seen a few people rocking Apoc/Amano without AM sets and it's just sad...
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-02-06 13:00:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Failaras said: »
10% haste is not non-existant, especially at the higher end of the spectrum. Rag being in 16% haste sets 71% of the time is not the same as apoc only needing 3% 71% of the time. The "good gear that still has haste" would be bale head leaving you STILL 10% haste ahead even after wasting 3 haste. In the mid-buff situations you still have apoc losing gear while rag is only hitting equip haste cap.
Bale Head +2 and Phorcys Legs cover all your haste needs for LR up Ragnarok and are also basically unbeatable in those slots even forgoing the haste (unless you need phorcys head for STP which makes no difference). Apoc is a toy for bad healers, low floors of salvage, and soloing. Get ragnarok, do damages like a good Drk should.

riiiight. Do you still have less than 200 scythe skill/not bring one to VW because "its not worth it to proc"?

I'm going to avoid the obvious traps litered through here. The guy asked which people thought he should make first, not which one should people epeen for big *** numbers. More than a majority of the posts here from people who take drk seriously are saying apoc. I wouldn't brush that aside without at least considering it.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-02-06 13:05:33
Link | Quote | Reply

The majority are fan boys or cling to the 75 cap days.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Harmless
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Ollette07
By Quetzalcoatl.Harmless 2013-02-06 13:12:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty much what Vodkaa and Ashman said, I built Apoc first and Ragnarok right after. Both are now 99, and yes, Apoc gets a far bigger boost at 99 than Rag does. I will say that I use Ragnarok more often based on the events I'm currently doing, but the split isn't a ton more. I'm still glad I made Apoc first, that weapon completely changes what you can do as DRK. As other people have said, there are a few other GS's that can put up big resolution numbers if that's what your looking for, but the crit rate and occ. deals 2.5x dmg is, imo what makes Rag amazing. I guess if what I'm trying to say is a rehash of everyone else, pick the weapon that fits your play style the most. Relics are piss easy to make now so if you really enjoy DRK make both. For me personally, if I were forced to give up one of the weapons and keep the other I'd keep Apoc.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-02-06 13:14:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Harmless said: »
I'm still glad I made Apoc first, that weapon completely changes what you can do as DRK.
i wish xiah had signatures
 Ragnarok.Yathatguy
user: Rathan
By Ragnarok.Yathatguy 2013-02-06 13:14:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Apoc was my first and still my favorite relic. Single most non-regrettable relic there is IMHO. It's just that amazing! You will understand when you finish it :D
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-02-06 13:15:12
Link | Quote | Reply

more ragnaroks have been made at 99 cap than total relics on ah at 75 cap. (out of the people who commented in this thread i dont think a single rag was pre-2012 looking at equip history) so clining to 75 cap is out. It couldn't possibly be that they enjoy one more than the other right? nah.... It's clearly more fun to spam reso over and over and over for marginally better parses. It couldn't be that in actual practice vs on paper the application of having both was different than your theoretical concept.

having a different opinion = fanboy... got it.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Harmless
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Ollette07
By Quetzalcoatl.Harmless 2013-02-06 13:15:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn you guys are fast! I just reread that and thought oh ***here it comes!
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-02-06 13:17:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Using something statistically inferior then touting it as the best and recommending it to others does scream fanboy. You know, like the people who insist FF7 was the best FF of all time.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-02-06 13:17:56
Link | Quote | Reply

more ragnaroks have been made at 99 cap than total relics on ah at 75 cap.
So? Can still cling to the days when it was a good scythe, still worse than most jobs then, too.

t's clearly more fun to spam reso over and over and over
As opposed to spamming Cata/Entropy?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-02-06 13:30:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Using something statistically inferior then touting it as the best and recommending it to others does scream fanboy. You know, like the people who insist FF7 was the best FF of all time.

please show me the post it says its better by anyone... I still would pick it first anyday (which is what the OP asked for).

I genuinely do feel that I perform better with apoc than rag. It might be my poor rag sets, my playstyle, the difference between spreadsheet and actual application based on ANY variable. I don't know. I gave my genuine opinion (and as to why i feel that way) along with others who felt the same way.

Then people came in and said "MATHMATICALLY YOU CANT FEEL THAT WAY BECAUSE THE FUNFACTOR OF THIS GAME REVOLVES ENTIRELY AROUND MIRCOSOFT EXCEL".

You can say what you like. I'll continue to do my job, do it well (better than most, including scads who are GS only), and have fun while doing it. This is totally not internet toughguy: if you were on my server I would love nothing more than you to parse against me and tell me where,why,how,and when I could improve. Either that or show me how ragnarok is supposed to be used on drk to make it ***all over apoc when im using it (i genuinely dont use it always.... maybe 60/40).
[+]
 Shiva.Paulu
Server: Shiva
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2013-02-06 13:42:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Amano without AM sets
7 store TP doesn't give enough flex room to really do anything significant with. Pretty much lets you slack in ws set's STP (Rajas to Pyrosoul for example). At least that's the conclusion I run with. Although, an aftermath set for apoc seems like a no brainer.
 Ragnarok.Terazuma
user: Terazuma
By Ragnarok.Terazuma 2013-02-06 13:47:42
Link | Quote | Reply

DRK-onry and it doesn't really teeter either way too much; highly depends on what current events you do.

If you'd like to add in your WAR as a factor, then mighty strikes resolution (w/ rag) is pretty hard to top unless by another mighty strikes resolution.
 Ragnarok.Yathatguy
By Ragnarok.Yathatguy 2013-02-06 13:53:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't even say 60/40 Apoc to Rag usage...I'm more 90/10 and only whip that butter knife out for true zergs.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-02-06 13:55:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh an Apoc vs. Rag thread! My favorite!
[+]
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2013-02-06 14:04:47
Link | Quote | Reply

riiiight. Do you still have less than 200 scythe skill/not bring one to VW because "its not worth it to proc"?

I'm going to avoid the obvious traps litered through here. The guy asked which people thought he should make first, not which one should people epeen for big *** numbers. More than a majority of the posts here from people who take drk seriously are saying apoc. I wouldn't brush that aside without at least considering it.
I'm not entirely sure what my scythe skill is, it could be 1 for all I care. I generally keep a Scythe in my sack, but don't carry one around in my inventory. Thankfully with my Ragnarok I don't have to do dumb things like Proc scythe (or proc anything besides weapon bash). I guess when you champion Apoc your damage is so bad you need the extra procs. :/
 Ragnarok.Yathatguy
By Ragnarok.Yathatguy 2013-02-06 14:13:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not entirely sure what my scythe skill is, it could be 1 for all I care. I generally keep a Scythe in my sack, but don't carry one around in my inventory. Thankfully with my Ragnarok I don't have to do dumb things like Proc scythe (or proc anything besides weapon bash). I guess when you champion Apoc your damage is so bad you need the extra procs. :/

At first I was unsure...then I read it again and thought it was really funny. LolRagonrynoprocsIswingabutterknifeonryatshitplayers.
 Cerberus.Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2013-02-06 14:50:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
more ragnaroks have been made at 99 cap than total relics on ah at 75 cap.
So? Can still cling to the days when it was a good scythe, still worse than most jobs then, too.

t's clearly more fun to spam reso over and over and over
As opposed to spamming Cata/Entropy?

ftfy
[+]
 Cerberus.Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2013-02-06 14:56:33
Link | Quote | Reply

TBH, I'm currently working on Rag to complete my collection before going for Liberator, but sometimes I just wanna give up on GS seeing the dumb ***I'm hearing.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-02-06 15:00:55
Link | Quote | Reply

ITT: You would use apocalypse for DD and not for the situations that it's actually useful, thus it's statistically inferior and should never be made ever
 Asura.Fondue
user: Caliber
By Asura.Fondue 2013-02-06 15:01:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Yathatguy said: »
I wouldn't even say 60/40 Apoc to Rag usage...I'm more 90/10 and only whip that butter knife out for true zergs.

I use apoc for salvage (drk/sam brd/thfmule whm/sch), maybe some meebles and that's it, I wouldn't do apoc if you never plan on 99ing either