Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Bard » You Spoony Guide! - A Troubadour's Libretto
You Spoony Guide! - A Troubadour's Libretto
First Page 2 3 ... 50 51 52 ... 61 62 63
 Pandemonium.Zeto
Server: Pandemonium
Game: FFXI
By Pandemonium.Zeto 2020-01-28 12:11:30
Link | Quote | Reply

The what rune to use guide over in RUN land has what ailments are what aligned to what element. Virtuoso column is the element of the carol you want for ailments in the same row.
 Asura.Shiraj
Server: Asura
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2020-01-28 12:12:53
Link | Quote | Reply

For Bard same principle Applies to the way RUN resists them:

- Ice carol - Evasion Down / Paralyze / Frost / Bind
- Wind Carol - Defense Down / Gravity / Silence / Choke
- Thunder Carol - Magic Defense Down / Stun / Shock
- Water Carol - Attack Down / Poison / Drown
- Earth Carol - Accuracy Down / Petrification / Rasp / Slow
- Fire Carol - Magic Attack Down / Amnesia // Plague / Addle / Burn
- Dark Carol - Magic Evasion Down / Dispel / Sleep / Blind / Doom
- Light Carol - Magic Accuracy Down / Finale / Lullaby / Charm

Had to edit twice cos i'm HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and get mixed up with rune enchantments with carols. But now it's correct lol.

Hope that helps.
[+]
 Asura.Cmoneyfresh
By Asura.Cmoneyfresh 2020-01-28 17:07:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm interested in starting down a career path on bard. I have always wanted to play the job at a high level. I understand the REMA requirements bard face in today's meta, and I am going to slowly start chipping away at it. I don't have a dedicated group for Aeonics at the moment. Right now I have a Linos augmented with All Songs +2, QA +2, and Fast Cast as well as a Terpander as a stop gap. Have all Emp armor, NQ MB whistle, and am currently working on relic and AF upgrades at the moment. My question is: (forgive me if this has been asked before, I have combed through a few pages) Given where I am at, what would be the recommended order in farming the REMA instruments/dagger. Thank you for your replies.
 Shiva.Berzerk
Server: Shiva
user: Berzerk06
By Shiva.Berzerk 2020-01-28 17:16:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Cmoneyfresh said: »
I'm interested in starting down a career path on bard. I have always wanted to play the job at a high level. I understand the REMA requirements bard face in today's meta, and I am going to slowly start chipping away at it. I don't have a dedicated group for Aeonics at the moment. Right now I have a Linos augmented with All Songs +2, QA +2, and Fast Cast as well as a Terpander as a stop gap. Have all Emp armor, NQ MB whistle, and am currently working on relic and AF upgrades at the moment. My question is: (forgive me if this has been asked before, I have combed through a few pages) Given where I am at, what would be the recommended order in farming the REMA instruments/dagger. Thank you for your replies.

Ghorn->Daurd<>Marsyas<>Whistle+1->Carn

Honor march is a huge boost to your song arsenal, but having Daurd before that means you can put up 2 marches and 2 minuets or madrigals, or a mix of those for the most part. Carn is not "required" to do the job, but at this stage of the game probably not as hard to get as before and as such should still be a goal, because 11-12 minute songs is incredibly nice if you wanted to DD instead of recasting songs. Longer sleeps and debuffs along with the Magic accuracy is another benefit there.
By Afania 2020-02-16 03:03:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Berzerk said: »

Honor march is a huge boost to your song arsenal, but having Daurd before that means you can put up 2 marches and 2 minuets or madrigals, or a mix of those for the most part. Carn is not "required" to do the job, but at this stage of the game probably not as hard to get as before and as such should still be a goal, because 11-12 minute songs is incredibly nice if you wanted to DD instead of recasting songs. Longer sleeps and debuffs along with the Magic accuracy is another benefit there.

Are there any reason why ghorn priority is WAY higher than whistle+1/empy/Aeonic? Or did I seriously miss something?
All 3 items are more game changing than ghorn and 2 of them are cheaper to get too.

Ghorn cost 43m at lv99 last time I checked, whistle +1 cost 33m. You can get most of the relevant +3 instruments(min/mad)easily. there are none rema +4 instruments for ballad/Carol, another 2 important songs.

March potency doesn't matter since magic haste will be capped without that 1 final tier.

Ghorn is an instrument so you can't apply song +4 on HM too....But whistle is neck so you can, no?

So ghorn is just a song +1 instrument that only works on a few songs with 43m price tag, may as well spend 33m on whistle +1 for song +1 that works on all songs instead. You can use the 10m you saved for blurred harp+1 for ballad +4 which is also a good string instrument for aoe sleeps, seems like better investment overall.

Daurd >= Marsyas > whistle +1 >>> carn >>>> ghorn IMO. I can't think of any situations that gaining 1 extra tier of songs on min/mad/etude is game breaking. The difference between having the final song tier is like 6-20 acc, which is incredibly small for 43m cost. Id rank it even below carn, at least carn is good for DD, which may even add more pt dps than 6-20 acc lol.

Or did I miss something about ghorn that makes it THAT good for its price? Every new brd seems to prioritize it over everything else despite the reward:effort ratio is so bad.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Afania 2020-02-16 03:52:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kusaregedo said: »
song duration

Please elaborate.

I don't see duration boost on ghorn, it has latent effect? Which relevant song besides lullaby gets duration boost from song potency? You can already get lullaby +4 from blurred +1 which has larger radius for aoe sleeps to begin with. Even with ghorn isn't harp+1 more ideal for sleeps?
 Odin.Bangla
Server: Odin
user: Ceal
By Odin.Bangla 2020-02-16 04:07:02
Link | Quote | Reply

You are disregarding the potency and duration of debuff songs.

Post deleted by User.
By Wotasu 2020-02-16 04:36:06
Link | Quote | Reply

While you can cap magic haste with +7 song(linos/whistle+1/Empy hands) with Victory&Advancing March, you need +8 when using Honor March. You can Cheat this with marcato+HM but dispel happens or long fight, you lose haste potency.
+1= more duration & potency of march, minuet, madrigal etc. Only other instrument that gives +4 is blurred+1 for ballad/lullaby and nibiru for Carol iirc.
Edit: You get the slightly less duration from daurdabla and slightly larger AoE than harp+1. +1=10% duration~.

Post deleted by User.
By Draylo 2020-02-16 04:43:21
Link | Quote | Reply

There is no +3 on Linos that I know of, it was a lie spread by some people when it first released, unless anyone have real proof.
By Wotasu 2020-02-16 04:55:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
There is no +3 on Linos that I know of, it was a lie spread by some people when it first released, unless anyone have real proof.
It is total +3, 2 from augments 1 Base.
By Draylo 2020-02-16 05:05:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah thought he meant actually getting a +3 augment, which is fake.
By SimonSes 2020-02-16 05:32:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Wotasu said: »
While you can cap magic haste with +7 song(linos/whistle+1/Empy hands) with Victory&Advancing March, you need +8 when using Honor March. You can Cheat this with marcato+HM but dispel happens or long fight, you lose haste potency.

Is BG wiki wrong then?

+4 Honor 16.99% Haste
+7 Victory 27.05% Haste
= 44.04% Haste

Cap is 43.75%
By Wotasu 2020-02-16 05:46:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually the error here is me in a way, normally when I have this discussion the brd in question has gjallarhorn + nq whistle. Which only makes +3 HM. If you went whistle +1 and +3horn you can cap haste, which you mentioned.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-02-16 06:04:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
song duration

Please elaborate.

I don't see duration boost on ghorn
Each "+1 song" also gives +10% song duration, not just "potency".

Another thing to go for Ghorn that nobody mentioned: inventory space.
Granted if you go for Linos with total +3 that point becomes less relevant I guess.
[+]
 Asura.Splendid
user: BlindLis
By Asura.Splendid 2020-02-16 07:04:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Are there any reason why ghorn priority is WAY higher than whistle+1/empy/Aeonic? Or did I seriously miss something?
All 3 items are more game changing than ghorn and 2 of them are cheaper to get too.

Ghorn cost 43m at lv99 last time I checked, whistle +1 cost 33m. You can get most of the relevant +3 instruments(min/mad)easily. there are none rema +4 instruments for ballad/Carol, another 2 important songs.

March potency doesn't matter since magic haste will be capped without that 1 final tier.

Ghorn is an instrument so you can't apply song +4 on HM too....But whistle is neck so you can, no?

So ghorn is just a song +1 instrument that only works on a few songs with 43m price tag, may as well spend 33m on whistle +1 for song +1 that works on all songs instead. You can use the 10m you saved for blurred harp+1 for ballad +4 which is also a good string instrument for aoe sleeps, seems like better investment overall.

Daurd >= Marsyas > whistle +1 >>> carn >>>> ghorn IMO. I can't think of any situations that gaining 1 extra tier of songs on min/mad/etude is game breaking. The difference between having the final song tier is like 6-20 acc, which is incredibly small for 43m cost. Id rank it even below carn, at least carn is good for DD, which may even add more pt dps than 6-20 acc lol.

Or did I miss something about ghorn that makes it THAT good for its price? Every new brd seems to prioritize it over everything else despite the reward:effort ratio is so bad.

So wait—you’re telling me you would get all of the other EMA which would all cost more than 43m and you wouldn’t just finish up and get Gjaller? Daurdabla is the most important of the REMA.
 Bahamut.Belkin
Server: Bahamut
user: Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2020-02-16 09:03:54
Link | Quote | Reply

It's an interesting argument, but it mostly originated out of that "what ORDER should I make these in" question.

The short answer is: get a gjallarhorn. Who wants to carry around like 9 different instruments for +3 songs (minuet, march, madrigal, carol, prelude, elegy, finale, threnody, nocturne, etc.)? That's cumbersome and annoying and inventory space is usually at a premium for a lot of people.

Maybe it's not AS important as a lot of people think, but it's still the best option for many things *and* and it's something you can do in less than a day. Marsyas, Carnwenhan, and Daurdabla all require pretty big time commitments in their own ways. For somebody looking to get started, g-horn is an easy way to get started and still make something that is the best available option for A LOT of songs. Regardless of how you argue "it's barely better", the fact remains it is better. "BUT FOR 43M?!" If 43M is out of this guys budget, maybe he shouldn't be career BRD.

Back to the inciting question, because I know that's the point you were trying to argue. The answer is you are almost naturally going to make g-horn first unless you have a LS that can knock out an aeonic for you on demand. That's why I would make it first and in fact, why I DID make it first when I set out on bard-quest 2019. It's not necessarily the highest priority, but how are you gonna sit around waiting for the other 3 things and just *not* make the g-horn awhile?

That being said, you do have a point in that get that Moonbow Whistle +1 while you are waiting for Mars/Carn/Daurdabla. It's very important and should really be considered on the same level of "necessity" as every REMA for BRD.

And back to guy's original question, I think a more detailed 'order' would be:

Step 1: Start doing all of the Carnwenhan pre-reqs. This will take a while. I don't know where you are with mythic progress, but Einherjar ichor will jam you up for a while unless you can enter on the hour every hour for 2-3 days straight. Start doing this stuff in your free time. If you are around the AH or just waiting around for a LS event, go squeeze in a quick Einherjar or assault.

Step 2: Buy Moonbow Whistle +1. It's something you can do right now that is on the level of any of the other REMAs. It's ultimate, you should get it.

Step 3: Just throw together a gjallarhorn. See the above reasoning. Even if it's "barely better" than the alternatives, it is indeed the best for many things. If it's too expensive for you, then how're you going to afford Carnwenhan or Daurdabla?

Step 4: Dauradabla (probably the most important piece if we are being honest, people love their 4-songs). This takes a while though because of the abyssea path it's on. Colorless Souls and Apadamek Horns are pretty aids. Could take a week or two, depending on how much time you have to play.

Step 5: When people are available for aeonics, do your Marsyas. It's hard to say where this should go because I know not everybody has access to HELM-ready LS's. If you get the opportunity to make one quick, do it. Honor March is the *** and is easily the best single BRD song in the game.
[+]
By SimonSes 2020-02-16 10:13:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Totally disagree with you Belkin

Afania posted very good argument NOT to get Gjall first and your response is just "but its cheaper, so get it first, because its cool to have one things cross off the list" (the argument with many instruments is invalid. Linos with +3 all songs is just one instrument)

Imo the order should be:
1. Linos
2. JSE
3. Moonbow +1
4. Blurred +1
5. Marsyas (imo Honor is much better than 4th song. Honor is like three songs in one)
6. Daurdabla
7. Carn 119
8. Gjallarhorn
9. Carn AG and R15
By Afania 2020-02-16 10:16:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
song duration

Please elaborate.

I don't see duration boost on ghorn
Each "+1 song" also gives +10% song duration, not just "potency".

Another thing to go for Ghorn that nobody mentioned: inventory space.
Granted if you go for Linos with total +3 that point becomes less relevant I guess.

Thanks, I finally found the description on Bg wiki.

It doesn't change my point that whistle +1 seems like a better investment because it's still duration+ with more song potency, and works on HM too.

Asura.Splendid said: »

So wait—you’re telling me you would get all of the other EMA which would all cost more than 43m and you wouldn’t just finish up and get Gjaller? Daurdabla is the most important of the REMA.

Lol, hence the last of all.

Wotasu said: »
Actually the error here is me in a way, normally when I have this discussion the brd in question has gjallarhorn + nq whistle. Which only makes +3 HM. If you went whistle +1 and +3horn you can cap haste, which you mentioned.

This is exactly what I've been saying... People seems to prioritize ghorn before they get a whistle +1.

Ghorn+nq whistle caps haste.
+3 March instrument and HQ whistle also caps haste.

Except +4 HM has higher attack acc than +3 :/
By Taint 2020-02-16 10:24:17
Link | Quote | Reply

One part makes no sense to me.

Don’t do Ghorn too soon cause 43mil, but Carn is ahead of Ghorn even though it cost 300mil and does nothing for 99% of content.
By SimonSes 2020-02-16 10:31:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »

Don’t do Ghorn too soon cause 43mil, but Carn is ahead of Ghorn even though it cost 300mil and does nothing for 99% of content.

This one is indeed controversial, but first of all you dont need R15 or even AG Carn for Song Duration +50%. Song Duration +50% is really big for situation where mobs are very resistance to song debuff and require Troubadour to land reliably and you use NITRO then to land a really long lasting debuff (sleep in ambuscades for example). Another thing is you can full time Marcato Honor. I think both of those is better than Gjallarhorn, but I wouldn't AG and R15 Carn before Gjallarhorn. I wasn't specific enough, sorry.
By Afania 2020-02-16 11:26:22
Link | Quote | Reply

@Belkin

Considering all the items need Gil and time it makes more sense to prioritize items that's most job changing first.

BRDs endgame role is mainly capping haste and acc in melee party, everything else is secondary. Getting one of Aeonic or empy allows new brd participate 135+ content because having 1 of the instrument out of 2 will give their songs enough accuracy boost for ilv 135.

This isn't the case for ghorn. Getting 54 more accuracy from Honor March may make DDs accuracy good enough for ilv 135+, so does getting 76 more accuracy for 2nd madrigal.

Getting 6 more accuracy from ghorn won't.

So say, if you are a new player with nothing but BRD job, or older player that wants to play brd job, it makes more sense to make at least 1 instrument that opens the door to content first.

People tried to use the "cross the list" logic like: well BRD needs all REMA to be viable, relic is the cheapest, so I should make relic first so that's 1 rema off the list".

IMO this kind of logic is setting the goal all wrong. Your goal should be participating content, not collecting rema for the sake of doing it. Being able to do ambu D/VD with empy or Aeonic drastically increase Gil farm efficiency, and speed up the entire process of finishing REMA.

Then the Gil and time should be use on items that makes biggest difference: empy >= Aeonic > whistle +1. If you absolutely want to burn your Gil on song potency, get whistle+1 first.

As far as the inventory argument goes, even if you don't go for linos it wouldn't consume 9 inventory.

IMO the instrument worth +3/4 are:

-Nibiru for Carol+4 because carols are too good for status ailments.
-Catabank for madrigal/prelude+3 because that's what BRDs for.
-Apollo's for minute+3 in case you popped SP and able to sing 1 extra attack song.
-blurred +1 for ballad/lullaby+4: this one is also useful for AoE lullaby so it's not quite inv-1.
-syrinx for elegy/minne

I don't see langelik worth it, if you cast white magic haste you can cap haste with +2 instrument even if you use NQ whistle and honor March. And I almost never use etude. And even if you add this to your list so you can cap haste without spell that's still 5 inventory excluding blurred harp +1 which you should be getting anyways.

I never seen any strategy or setup that uses mambo/paeon.

I don't care about 1 extra DoT from Requiem and I doubt anyone care.

You can skip instrument for mambo/paeon/Requiem and I doubt it matters.

Did I miss any important songs that's relevant in today's endgame?

So 5 inventory or 43m....Take your pick. Id sacrifice 5 inventory for 43m personally >.>

@Baniak
If I can to choose between empy and Aeonic, I'd pick empy.

Say if you are a new brd doing ambu D/VD level of content. An Aeonic BRD will have much higher attack but attack is easy to cap in ilv 135 content from other sources, such as chaos roll, fury/frailty and def- WS. Empy BRD will have higher accuracy and flexibility to use defensive songs in case pt needs them.

I'd say have this kind of flexibility is overall more useful than getting more attack in ilv 135 content.

Also getting 4 songs means mages can cap haste and get 2 ballads too.
By Afania 2020-02-16 11:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »

43m for 6 more accuracy to be precise...At least carn is kinda unique despite the price is higher.

But Yeah if BRD skips carn too I wouldn't care much. "Brd needs all REMA" and "get ghorn 1st" is pretty much a false relic fetish trend created by community like relic Ragnarok in 2016: people keep asking new players to prioritize them and skip everything else despite they make such a small difference.

The only instrument that really matters is Aeonic/empy, IMO.
By Taint 2020-02-16 11:54:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Inventory is the most important stat and you know it :p
By Afania 2020-02-16 12:06:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Opinion of an established player with 5+ optimized jobs, sure.

Not necessarily true for players playing BRD as their 1st job(so nothing is really taking up their space) or people lv BRD alt and wants to get it usable in ambu D/VD as soon as possible.

At least for me my alt always has more than enough inventory.

You can argue that saving inventory makes ghorn more appealing for some people, wouldn't say it applies to everybody.
 Shiva.Thorny
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-02-16 12:14:02
Link | Quote | Reply

if you're making a brd alt, i hope you can afford 43m and just start with gjall.. the others take significant time and content progress, gjall is very quick, cheap, and only requires rank6

spending an hour or two chasing down abyssea weapons is silly when gjall is only about 5-7h of gain with 2 chars to begin with

for someone who's legitimately new and starting with brd, sure, save your gil and work on marsyas first.. but that's not a large portion of the playerbase any more
[+]
By Afania 2020-02-16 12:22:52
Link | Quote | Reply

If I'm making a BRD alt, I'd:

Farm the relevant +3 instrument, there's really only a few.
Poke my LS for Aeonic
Make whistle +1 if I feel like spending 33m.
Bring them to ambu D/VD as alt when I can't find people. That's what alts are for.

I'd just stop here, personally. Other career BRD can be the brd in serious events. An Aeonic BRD with whistle+1 is good enough for me as an alt. It's also better than Aeonic+ghorn+nq whistle brd alt.

I save 10m from getting a whistle +1 instead of relic, got better potency on HM, and that 10m can be used on main.

For new/returning player its the same deal. They can make Aeonic which is quick. If they can't get Aeonic done immediately they can spend their Gil on whistle+1. Or save them for empy later.

I highly doubt a new player can farm enough Gil for all 3 big Gil items, whistle+1, ghorn and empy BEFORE they finish first few empy stages. If they can then good for them.

I'd still do empy/whistle +1 first if I'm a new player though. At least I can start ilv 135+ content that way.

And my entire point is that whistle+1 has better reward: effort ratio than ghorn. And yet I see people or their alt with Aeonic+ghorn using an nq whistle all the time. Doesn't make sense at all.

Shiva.Thorny said: »
spending an hour or two chasing down abyssea weapons is silly when gjall is only about 5-7h of gain with 2 chars to begin with

Just saw this, idk about you, or maybe I just suck at farming Gil since I don't Merc nor have small group for dyna D. Besides first month's of dyna wave 3 my avg Gil/hr is about 3m/hr if I farm Gil in ambu/delve, and that's only if I havent run out of things to buy.

So that's 14 hr of work to farm 43m, and that's 40m per month with ambu cap too.

If I'm farming both whistle and ghorn for 76m total it will take about 1-1.5 months because ambu Gil gain has a cap.

My LS does dyna wave 3 in big group so dyna wave 3 is out as Gil content.

So saying "ghorn is just 5hr of work" is EXTREMELY unrealistic for most people, especially casual players like us.

If I'm really going to spend entire month of ambu mat to pimp a BRD alt the choice is obvious: get whistle first. And I'd happily chase abyssea NM for 2hr so I don't have to spend 14hr to farm 43m.

The "but you have 2 characters so it's faster" argument doesn't apply here if I can't even bring that character to ambu D/VD without Gil and gear for that character.
 Shiva.Thorny
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-02-16 14:32:24
Link | Quote | Reply

gain exp, 2 chars cashing out is 4m

repeat 2x an hour is 8m/hr

repeat 5 hours is 40m

don't need to be a pro to aoe trash mobs
First Page 2 3 ... 50 51 52 ... 61 62 63