Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » [Dev] RDM: Rejecting Ideas and Empty Promises
[Dev] RDM: Rejecting Ideas and Empty Promises
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Quetzalcoatl.Absolutezero
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
By Quetzalcoatl.Absolutezero 2012-08-01 20:57:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't even know why soloing was brought up. It is the lack of a role for rdm in party endgame type stuff that is the issue...
[+]
 Sylph.Sagiaurex
Server: Sylph
user: Sagiaurex
By Sylph.Sagiaurex 2012-08-01 20:57:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Anjisnu said: »
rdm is good for stunning and addling/para2 apademak so that my gimp as ***bst alt can kill it without much effort

[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-08-01 20:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Absolutezero said: »
I don't even know why soloing was brought up. It is the lack of a role for rdm in party endgame type stuff that is the issue...

Yarp, which is why

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
I am honestly curious as to why RDM is still in the game

I suppose SE's done their best to get as close to deleting the job as they can... they've *** it over around every possible turn.
[+]
 Sylph.Sagiaurex
Server: Sylph
user: Sagiaurex
By Sylph.Sagiaurex 2012-08-01 21:00:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Yarp, which is why

I suppose SE's done their best to get as close to deleting the job as they can... they've *** it over around every possible turn.

Basically ; ;
[+]
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2012-08-01 21:32:16
Link | Quote | Reply

maybe i should have bolded the "without much effort" part it was not intended as sarcasm that is just the only use i have for my rdm atm
 Cerberus.Eugene
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2012-08-01 21:43:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
Why does it even matter what job can solo what or how well they can >.>

I just enjoy pushing the limits of what I can do and learning from my mistakes so I can last longer next time. Is that not the point of soloing >.>?

Agreed for the most part, however there's going to be one or two jobs that excel passed others when it comes to factors such as killspeed, possible soloable targets, etc., and RDM is no longer one of those jobs, despite how it's being peddled as one.
because you're branching into two camps, melee solo and w/e else if theres anything else.

RDM excelled at soloing because for the most part it was the only job that could solo serious nms without having to melee.

This got killed off somewhat due to scholar, but mostly because se believed that it was cheating, and put diminishing returns on binds on new mobs.

RDM melee solos don't really impress me, never have. I used to solo melee easy stuff. Hard stuff was keeping your cool when bind resisted on Ulli or that other golem.

for the most part if there's a mob a rdm can melee down, at least a few other jobs can as well.
[+]
 Ramuh.Xanathos
Server: Ramuh
user: xanathos
By Ramuh.Xanathos 2012-08-01 21:45:03
Link | Quote | Reply

srsly? it was actually a debate on the utility of a rdm versus a blu? the only ppl who are ingnunt enough to say blu is useless....clearly do not and/or cannot play the job. not to mention that watching a rdm solo something lvl80+ is like watching a flu patient die of natural causes. blu has more enfeebs and buffs than rdm, has higher survivability & deeps, and blu doesnt hafta pop a 2hr to be useful. just sayin.
 Cerberus.Eugene
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2012-08-01 21:52:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Yarp, which is why

RDM has been experiencing consistent nerfs from NA launch. As much as other jobs have complained about being underpowered or getting their own nerfs, I can't think of one time while I was playing that RDM got buffed (maybe composure? i don't remember when that was released). Best they got was new abilities or spells, mainly when everyone else was getting them too.

The nail in the coffin was when it became an obsolete job because of abyssea. SE has nerf put never out much thought into tactical enfeebling, and that's mostly why rdm has died. Players have always been able to push through fights without enfeebles, and the usefulness and uniqueness of rdms buffs have been whittled away.

I think it's more that SE has little interest in enfeebling than they have little interest in rdm. Then again they nerfed every aspect of RDM, tanking and soloing included, so who knows.
[+]
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2012-08-01 21:56:03
Link | Quote | Reply

DAMN IT SE WHY MUST YOU MAKE ME DESTROY MY RED MAGE

I'm glad I switched to DRK when I wanted to challenge it in Abyssea.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-08-01 22:01:49
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM was a decent soloer at 75, but even then, BLU could cover most of their solos...infact the only one I can think of that BLU couldn't is Suzaku and erm..Seiryu? idk, it's been awhile..I've forgotten what was badass to solo, except Suzaku, I'll never forget her.

As much as I loved RDM solo (and RDM HNM tanking, to further note) to say it's still the best is pretty HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. BLU has very powerful tools now, and RDM hasn't really changed that much, unlike BLU
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-08-01 22:09:34
Link | Quote | Reply

maybe Cactrot Rapido too now that I think about it, BLU didn't get a decent SS or fastcast...probably wouldn't be able to keep up.. I could be wrong though
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-08-01 22:19:32
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU couldn't solo Cactrot until we got Reaving Wind really. Maybe with Feather Tickle, but at that point the watching paint dry argument would be turned on BLU.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-08-01 22:22:44
Link | Quote | Reply

proth or draylo, go level sync and solo it!

i'd watch

lol
 Ragnarok.Kongming
Server: Ragnarok
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-08-01 22:25:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I know you said endgame, but I'm going to pretend that word isn't there for a moment and be that guy (yes, I love being that guy) who reminds everyone RDM was originally a rejected job that had absolutely no place in any party until they decided to add Refresh, at which point it was second only to Bard.

We've seen a total collapse of partying, leveling, and the party system in general, and RDM went along with it. They can't fix it at this point. Leveling was the name of the game, and now it's not; RDM fell with it and I can't imagine anything they can do that will change that.

Solo is perhaps the only thing it has left. If the job is to have a purpose, then let it have a purpose, and if soloing is an aspect they actually have control over, then I approve of a change in that favor. Even if it's only meant for the most devote followers of the job. I could say many of the same things about PLD but then paladins would unite against me and my shield skill is far too low to protect me from such a barrage.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-08-01 22:29:13
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM had a place at most HNMs tbh, if not being the actual tank (till "nerf") Slow II was pretty nice and /DRK to solo stun Khimaira! yeah boy
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-08-01 22:50:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I *** love this topic title.
[+]
 Odin.Upbeat
Server: Odin
user: Upbeat
By Odin.Upbeat 2012-08-01 22:53:42
Link | Quote | Reply

lolCactrot Rapido :p

Good memories haha makes me want to come back to the game...
[+]
 Ragnarok.Kongming
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-08-01 22:57:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
RDM had a place at most HNMs tbh, if not being the actual tank (till "nerf") Slow II was pretty nice and /DRK to solo stun Khimaira! yeah boy
What I remember about Khimaira is BRD/BLM. That's a memory that stands out because of how stupid it sounds on first glance. I can't say the same for RDMs, if there were any.

And the role RDMs played for the... countless Fafnirs and Nidhoggs I've fought, back to when /SMN was mandatory for Aerial Armor rotation, I cannot say that they served any more of a role than refresh rotation and a very weak WHM.

Your mileage may vary and I imagine servers evolved quite differently until information was more readily obtainable.

So yeah, there was a place for RDM just as much as any job, but I don't feel particularly robbed of it so much as robbed of creativity. What I lament, if anything, is the drive for money which comes inherently from new expansions and the promise of new jobs, none of which after the main and Zilart 15 have been necessary, and even some of the aforementioned have questionable utility.

The developers know that magic and abilities delegated to new jobs could just have easily been given to existing jobs; in fact, any objective observer would wonder why not. Why not, is because money and not what seems reasonable or common sense (though money should be a reasonable and obvious motive for any conscious observer.)
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-08-01 23:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said: »
I *** love this topic title.
lol

I spent like 3 minutes trying to think of an appropriate title for this topic, but nothing really came to mind and I had to make the BST thread.
 Bahamut.Sobius
Server: Bahamut
user: Sobius
By Bahamut.Sobius 2012-08-01 23:13:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Just curious. Though I am retired, BLU and RDM were my two fav's at the end and pretty well geared when I quit (year or so ago). I paid for my Morrigans, Ares and half of an Aegis doing level 75 ENM's in Bearclaw pinnacle on my RDM back in the day. Can BLU solo that now too? Was just wondering. Would be nice if RDM had at least *one* niche..

EDIT: THF and NIN could solo that stupid buffalo too so I guess my point is moot.
 Ragnarok.Kongming
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-08-01 23:19:48
Link | Quote | Reply

It's hard to imagine a lv99 job that can't solo the buffalo.

If this is a pissing contest between BLU and RDM, I think both parties are at a loss because the job in question, either way, has very few other utilities.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-08-01 23:28:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Sagiaurex said: »

Only solo as of late to catch my eye

WoE conflux#7 Solo

SCH can solo that already has been able to wihtout Embrava already. So I'd be really surprized to see a RDM solo Conflux 7 faster than a SCH w/o the use of Ionohelix, Thunder5 and thunderstorm....

He hits like a truck but regen5 even while under DA will keep you going.
By Gattus 2012-08-01 23:33:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Rdm has always been my favorite, and I have looked up to and wanted to emulate those Rdms who could solo just about anything in the 75 days.

The sad fact is, the 75 days are over. I think a lot of people need to absorb and understand that. I want more than anything to be a badass Rdm, but our spells are too slow and too weak, and our melee isn't much better. I will still play Rdm as much as I can, but I don't blame alliances for not wanting to invite my Rdm, and I have adapted. If I want to be good with swords and magic so badly, maybe I should just work on my Blu more, or instead of hating on the new Rune fencer coming out, maybe I can make that into the job I've always wanted to be.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-08-01 23:45:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Kongming said: »

If this is a pissing contest between BLU and RDM, I think both parties are at a loss because the job in question, either way, has very few other utilities.
ENMs are still level capped.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Kongming
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-08-01 23:49:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Ragnarok.Kongming said: »

ENMs are still level capped.
My mistake.

Since my knowledge brews from the 75 era though it's still hard to imagine BLU, or a determined one, not able to solo it.
By Artemicion 2012-08-02 00:54:02
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-08-02 01:12:17
Link | Quote | Reply

If they would just make Temper Accessionable, I'm sure RDM could find something to do between casts.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2012-08-02 04:07:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Anjisnu said: »
lol rdm king of pvp? no way in hell its top 4 maybe, but king? f that noise

Depends on your definition of "pvp".

RDM/BLM is king of cheap shot PVP. Don't melee, only idiot RDM's melee for PVP. CC / Debuff / DoT and bleed someone to death, if it looks like their getting an edge just CS -> Stun / Drain / Aspir for win. Being able to cast a ranged shadow wiping sleep, a ranged stun, a ranged HP / MP absorb and various CC / DoT abilities are what make RDM OP for PvP. 80s God Mode Chainspell is just the coup de grace.

BLU's and PLDs are your biggest threat, everything else is a joke to kill. May take awhile, but a RDM/BLM has more then enough cheap shots up it's sleeve to eventually win.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-08-02 04:12:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
If they would just make Temper Accessionable, I'm sure RDM could find something to do between casts.

This would be so awesome.
And this alone would make RDM worth bringing again for alot of stuff.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8