Your 1st Job, And Why?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Your 1st Job, and Why?
Your 1st Job, and Why?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Ifrit.Kalix
Server: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
user: Tokitung
By Ifrit.Kalix 2009-05-01 19:26:50
Link | Quote | Reply

God, this is going way back. On my first Char, I was all about Rdm when I started playing. Note, this was right at NA release which came with the newly released expansion Rise of Zilart o.o Loooonnnggg time ago. The new advanced jobs were still being figured out (oh the suprise when people found out that Nin could blink tank!) Mnk was actually the high level (50 cap at that time) main tank in the game prior to RoZ.

I powered Rdm through to 41, just oozing over obtaining Refresh. Right after I got it though, mentalities of Rdm melee was starting to wane. I then realized that post 41 I would just be a debuff/refresh *** ;;

So I went around and began unlocking all the advanced jobs. They were VERY different back then, with the lack of so many useful abilities that we have now days (Hasso, Seigan, Velocity Shot, etc.) I played around with a few, but then began to fall in love with Rng. The ability to melee and ranged at the same time was just too fun. And the damage from ranged attacks was just sick (especially with Meat Mithkabobs, before they added the damage caps and removed the effect on ranged att ;;). They were the best a pulling IMO, fast paced, could WS without having to be close to the mob, and Barrage @ 30 just made you wet your pants. Then Sidewinder @ 55, you needed to go underwear shopping again.

I hit Rng to 70 just before they added the final level cap increase. It was the race to 75 again across the server, JP vs NA, so exp parties were all over the place.

Been playing for little over 5 1/2 years and Rng is still my favorite job, even through all the changes. Though I will say that when the first introduced the ranged att patch, my heart hit the floor and I left for a few months. Thank god they finally balanced it out, just took them a while.
 Kujata.Daus
Server: Kujata
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2009-05-01 19:45:15
Link | Quote | Reply

When I started, due to indecisiveness and not knowing what I wanted, I chose the race and job thats supposed to be able to do anything even if they arent great at it.

So I chose hume and redmage. Never regretted either decision. When my first character was deleted by an angry sibling at lvl25..I restarted the game with the exact same face, name and job.

rdm was my first 75 too. I was actually really relieved because at the time I thought that once you hit lvl 30 you had to choose an advanced job...the only other job that sounded remotely fun to me was smn..but I didnt want to lvl it 8< I super happy to learn I could stick with rdm and thats what I did. Though like..3 years later I lvl'd smn anyway.

I thought rdm AF was so pimp. I think I cried the day I managed to actually get help for my tabard and chapeau. My linkshell told me that the rdm hat quest "wipes entire alliances of 75s!" and there wasnt anyway they'd help me T_T I had to shout in lower jueno. Though a close friend help me with my tabard and he's still my friend to this day^^ and I can get my own AF now!
 Pandemonium.Melaise
Server: Pandemonium
user: Melly
By Pandemonium.Melaise 2009-05-02 02:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

War.

I love melee, or atleast I did back when I first started playing. Warrior seemed like the best one out of all the starting jobs. Got that to 18ish and then I decided to be a Thief. Can't remember why tbh lol. I remember getting nervous hearing about "hard" it was to pull in Garliage Citadel.. with all the holes and whatnot. I did extensive reading on all camps I wasn't familiar with.. and decided it was best to watch how others pulled first hand there. I decided in order to do this, I would have to level War up some until I reached the level you would go to exp in the Citadel.. and get in a pt as that. (Now I realize I could of just stayed as Thief and sat my butt down there and watch other pt's and their pullers <.<) And guess what! I ended up being asked to pull as War there, lmao.

But! I did a great job and learned fast. In fact, I got into War so much that I completely forgot about Thief and took up War to 75.

Since then.. I've lvled WHM SMN RDM DRG THF to 75 in that order.. PLD and DNC both 62 and otw. I'm partial to mage jobs now but still have some <3 for melee ;)
 Ifrit.Jurai
user: Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2009-05-02 02:21:01
Link | Quote | Reply

WHM.. always loved the AF.. (didn't know it was called AF at the time but yea.. loved the look of the armor!)
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-05-02 02:37:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Started out as THF on my first char because I thought it would be the best job for making gil and thus make my life in-game easier... Got it to 24 and got stuck at Kazam airship pass (pre-lvl sync days) and since I died every time I tried to solo I ditched that Char for a bit and moved to my mule.

I decided to do BLM on her cus i'd seen a BLM in dunes just flare2 the crap out of a helpless (evil) bunny and was like WOAH I wanna do that! But I also did RDM alongside it and both jobs hit lvl 30 together, but for some reason BLM took my attention, just sitting there and hitting a nuke every now and then maybe magic burst was pretty easy.

Then, I got hit with level 50 and Aht Urgaan release and bye bye pt invites -.- I've always hated solo and refused to do it, over the next 6 months I slowely got passed G1,2,3 in parties as backup healer then spammed besieged until 70 when I got stuck on maat. So I dropped BLM and did PLD.

PLD has been my main ever since and went 1/1 on maat and get lots of compliments when tanking and I never get bored of the job. Sadly, I finished up BLM and now it gets called on for most events >< Just recently hit 75 on SAM and it's really fun being able to SC and do big melee dmg. Next i'll probably do BLU,BRD,RDM or DRG. BRD and RDM cus I can never find one when I need one (so if i have it 75 problem solved), BLU cus it's such a complete job (melee dmg and spells) or DRG cus I loved Penta Thrust >.>
 Shiva.Aaralyn
Server: Shiva
user: Aaralyn
By Shiva.Aaralyn 2009-05-02 04:08:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Started out leveling WHM for sub for SMN main. An ex of mine got me into the game. He wouldn't ever be quiet about it. So one day I just started asking him more questions. I loved Summoner in other FF games. So I decided I'd give this game a whirl.

So I started out as WHM to 30 and unlocked Summoner. Got it 24 with only carby, and stopped there until I could get more summons. Which I was told I couldn't do unless I had another high level job. I loved WHM as I leveled it as sub for SMN, so I continued on with it. Then joined as WHM in prime fights and eventually got them all and carby mittens.

BLM and RDM I just kinda leveled for the heck of it. Leveling DNC and PLD currently. PLD cause it breaks the rules of my others jobs; when you cure try to not get hate. The way I played my WHM in campaign when it first came out, ls members told me they thought I'd be a good PLD. I think curing to get hate would be fun. And DNC because I can still heal, but it's a little different and something new.
 Diabolos.Cassi
Server: Diabolos
user:
By Diabolos.Cassi 2009-05-02 05:47:05
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

I started playing when I was 12. I picked thief because I liked the job description in the manual. I had problems at the beginning, and as soon as I was THF7, I wanted DRG. I leveled THF till 45 and then got DRG. I took DRG to 75 as /THF in parties. (or /WHM when soloing/duoing)
 Fairy.Bigimus
Server: Fairy
user: Bigimus
By Fairy.Bigimus 2009-05-02 06:19:51
Link | Quote | Reply

When i first started the game i was set focused on lvlin drk as my main job, but i also wanted to lvl mnk since that one my favorite character class in all of the ff games, so i start on mnk once i hit 30 i went and unlocked drk first thing. Took it to 20 and was like ...damn drk is fun... but hell mnk was even funner lol so mnk ended up bein my first job to 75. After mnk i took rng war then pld to 75. Drk is gettin there slowly but surely >.> its 33 atm :P
Server: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2009-05-02 06:29:07
Link | Quote | Reply

My first job i started to level was RDM, but got bored of the cycles by about lv60. Next thing i tried was BLM and oh boy did i enjoy blowing stuff up! The day i got Freeze i was like a little kid with a new bike.. Then came Freeze II!
 Remora.Chairo
Server: Remora
user: Chairo
By Remora.Chairo 2009-05-02 06:38:39
Link | Quote | Reply

My first job to 75 was bst since I love the story and power of the job, not only that but I didn't have to wait all day for other ppl help to randomly do things like go xp/merit and just drag my bst party to a few bcnm runs or go NM hunting.

Leveling on Bst was a ride learning new areas to xp that most ppl never been or even heard of at the time anyway. As frustrating as exping was at times it was still the most fun and interesting either it be duo, trio or full out pet party.

I think most ppl on ffxi look at their job to see how useful they'll be endgame but since I really didn't really care about things like that as long as I can have fun I was ok especially since like other jobs it wasn't necessary for me to have certain gear.
 Asura.Shamaya
Server: Asura
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2009-05-02 07:55:35
Link | Quote | Reply

When I started, I picked mithra because I wanted to main either: Rng, Thf, or Nin--mainly rng, as it was the premier DD of the day. However Rng was thought to be very expensive back then.

So I leveled thief for the same reasons most people level it. To make gil. Fast forward a long time, 5-6 years or so, and Thf has been my main ever since, and I never actually spent a serious day of farming on Thf in that time.

I picked thief because I knew it was hard to gear and hard to master skillfully. I thought that with the right playstyle and equipment, it would make a top DD as well as offering a whole lot of utility. 5-6 years later I still happily believe the same ^^
 Seraph.Raiderxxii
Server: Seraph
By Seraph.Raiderxxii 2009-05-02 08:07:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Mine was simple. I purchased the game in 2006 with zilart and cop already out. Opened the manual and had a look at all the jobs on offer and saw DRG with its pet wyvern, it was love at first sight!
 Fenrir.Dramanue
Server: Fenrir
user: Dramanue
By Fenrir.Dramanue 2009-05-02 08:21:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I started playing right around the release of the PS2 version. So this was quite some time ago. The fact of the matter, though, was that I was a massive fan of Final Fantasy and I've always loved the red mage class ever since the first game's release (on the dusty, old Nintendo). Since I wanted to look similar to the original red mage, I picked an Elvaan (I think I wanted the height), but since I thought I might look like every other elvaan, I chose medium height. The head I chose was the young, not angry white-haired version. I consider it the non-angry version since faces 5 and 2 (I think those are right) had more of an angry look to their eyes and I wanted my red mage to be a bit more friendly-looking.

My first sub was blm since I found it rather fitting for the red mage job (I have no idea why, though). I didn't get my first subjob until around 20, though, due to the fact I wasn't the best at socializing. I took blm to around 15 and returned to red mage...

After playing for a while, I wanted ninja as a sub (this was even before I knew that a nin sub on red mage would make me a psychotic soloer, this was just because I liked the thought of using two swords). After many attempts, I failed at getting help for doing the quest, so I went after a different sub: smn. I obtained the ruby with the help of a random mithra paladin whose name, unfortunately, I'm unable to remember immediately. I obtained summoner and leveled as Smn/Rdm until around 35. I then returned to Rdm/Smn until around 70, when I finally decided to finish leveling blm (to 37) and start on whm.

I did, though, get /nin when I was around Rdm40 with the help of a galka sam...
 Pandemonium.Aravol
Server: Pandemonium
user: aravol
By Pandemonium.Aravol 2009-05-02 08:35:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I still play on PS2 system. First of all, i played Everquest for about 5 years as a Warrior tank. I got sick of tanking so when i came to FFXI i wanted to melee!
First job i started was a THF. First sub was WAR. When i first heard of the subjob system i was excited. I still think its great. It adds so much more versatility to jobs.
As i began to get more acquainted with the game the DRKs always looked cool and did alot of damage. So thats the job i stuck with to 75 and i still love my DRK.
With 5 jobs to 37 it makes playing DRK alot of fun.
I picked the short Elvaan because i figured everyone would get the taller one. I also have the white hair with pony tail. I kinda dont like the hairdo anymore but meh.
I call it the "Steven Segall meets Bob Barker hairdo"
 Unicorn.Quack
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Quack 2009-05-02 18:16:18
Link | Quote | Reply

1st post ohnoes. Hi everyone.

Well, kinda long story, but I'll try to make it short.

When I first started playing I was all about Mithra RNG. I thought RNG/THF would make an awesome hunter-type character that could take things down and make money while doing it. Then I learned about how NIN was actually the preferred sub for RNG, and lost a lot of passion for it after learning I'd be spending, not saving, tons of money to level. Then I was like braughgdsdfs: got pretty sick and had to leave the game for a good few months.

A friend invited me back to the game and I thought I would level BRD, so I started leveling WHM sub for it on a new character. It was pretty fun, and I decided I liked it. For reasons I don't remember, I deleted that character so I could come back to my original server.

I came back to my original server and made a Tarutaru mule for my original RNG character. "ooh come level your mule with us!" I thought, sure why not, then I'll hop back on my main.

Whoops mule becoming 75 WHM main?
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-05-02 18:34:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I find I play these games a lot different than most people. I research them and try to figure out what I want to be before I even start. I then start playing the game with that goal in mind, and quit once there's no more I can reasonably do towards that goal. I don't get any entertainment in experimenting or trying out other jobs, unlike most. I like to pick one thing to be good at, and stick with it.

For me, I really wanted to play SAM from the moment I started FFXI. At the time, SAM was considered the lolclass, and was easily the weakest melee around. Large swaths of the job, from level 40-60, were hell on earth. And once you maxed level/items, you still weren't much of a badass. But the job's focus on skill chains and strategy / reaction time made it seem (to me) like it wouldn't get old as fast as other jobs.

The job has evolved quite a bit over ~5+ years: from lolclass to the new badass, back to lolclass, back to badass, a number of times. But as I never started FFXI with the intention of ever playing another job, I was willing to stick with it through all the ups and downs.

And once there wasn't anything left to do on SAM, I went off and made a website. =p
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-05-02 18:48:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Dirtyfinger said:
My first job i started to level was RDM, but got bored of the cycles by about lv60. Next thing i tried was BLM and oh boy did i enjoy blowing stuff up! The day i got Freeze i was like a little kid with a new bike.. Then came Freeze II!

I think getting Freeze is a special day in any true BLM's life... I remember it well enough XD I bought the scroll and took it with me to solo 48-51 in West Sarutabaruta (S). Dinged 50, used the scroll, casted Freeze, HOLY ***LOOK AT THE DAMAGE! YOU'RE DEAD!

Blowing ***up never gets old. Thank you FF1 for making me fall in love with the Black Mage class.
 Ramuh.Lilsanchez
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Lilsanchez 2009-05-02 18:58:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm.. Samurai on Lilsanchez. Leveled BLU first to like 68 then stopped cause I wanted sea and all it's spells before i got it to 75~ Took Samurai to 75 first though cause I loved it's sexy damage and cool weapon of choice ^.~ Great Katana!

The logic behind it all was, I infact started out as a tarutaru. My idea on the best job was Blue Mage, because my brother had played it as soon as ToAU came out. Always told me how great of a job it was and how powerful it was. I envied it ever since. Started out as a Tarutaru cause they looked cool, took a super long break after getting blu to 32ish then started over as a Hume got BLU to 65ish then gave the character to my brother cause he had quit awhile before I had started and lost his character.

After that I had started over yet again as a Mithra for the DEX and natural accuracy. All the while leveling BLU on both Tarutaru and Hume I was never ever satisfied with my accuracy no matter how much I stacked it on. was so damn frustrating.

When I had finally created my Mithra my first job to 37 was Thief. Yes it sucked. It was extremely hard getting party invites as a THF without a sub job and no /NIN lol Anyway after finally getting that to 37 and having had BLU unlocked as soon as I dinged level 30. I started leveling BLU not very fast at all. Finally after so many months I got it to like 68ish and had most of every spell in existence I decided to stop because of a couple reasons.
1.) Not being able to have access to a few of the most powerful spells in a Blue Mage's life time would really really suck, and those spells happen to only be obtained from mobs that dwell in Sea/CoP areas. I did not have Sea at this point~

2.) heard of a bunch of BLU's having an extremely hard time with it's overwhelming GK5 quest. Didn't want to have to deal with that.

After deciding to put BLU at a halt, I figured I wanted to level a more convincing job that people would invite quickly and would be really fun, unlike BLU... I always enjoyed extremely hard hitting spike damage. Samurai was the winner. Mainly because I always enjoyed it's main weapon of choice and because I've seen some pretty damn powerful Samurai's in my days that I envied. Took Samurai to 70 seriously within like 3 weeks. Shouted for help on getting a Samurai Testimony. Got it that day. Beat maat in 48 seconds~ Got Samurai to 75 and unlocked Tachi: Kasha in 3 days. Bingo :o was extremely quick and painless. Most of my gil has been inherited from previous character I carried on over.

Still no Sea at this time, I decided to put my high base DEX and AGI to good use, I quickly took Ranger and Thief to 75. Well not thief so much lol Campaign battles have come into existence at this point. I used it to my benefit. Wasn't until like 13 months later I had finally gotta CoP completed I quickly got my BLU spells and took the job to 75 after already having 75 Rdm Pld Rng Sam Thf Drk Brd XD Yipee!

Blue Mage truly is an incredible job.
 Lakshmi.Galvaya
Server: Lakshmi
user: Galvaya
By Lakshmi.Galvaya 2009-05-02 21:17:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I leveled 2 jobs almost simultaneously: THF+WHM

White Mage was my first to 75. The reason I leveled this originally, was to get parties in the dunes easier, and obtain my subjob as soon as possible. Also my advanced jobs. Once I took it to 30.. I said hm.. 36 would be great for teleports...then..40's would be great for the OTHER teleports..50..Holy would be cool to have..Ballista Royale took place, and I needed to be level 60. So, that happened. Then at this point, I had already gotten 60, I thought I'd just cap it to 75.
I enjoyed healing people, keeping them alive, and I loved being able to remove status ailments, before the cry-baby NIN could get a chance to say "SLOWED"/"ERASE"/"HASTE".

Thief- This is by far my favorite job. The first time I remember saying "OMG, I wanna be a THF." I was in Sarutabaruta area, just had to home point because I died in Sauromugue Champaign, trying to reach Jeuno from Windurst. As I'm level 10 WHM, running through the place...ON FOOT. Here runs by a level 40+THF...with Flee. and I was like "OMG, I wanna be a THF!"

Once playing it, I enjoyed the multitude of things you must do in a party as a melee, to me at the time it seemed that, most melee jobs just swing/buff/ws. So THF's Sneak Attack, Trick Attack, pulling, dodging, defense down, blind bolts really appealed to me as a different kind of melee. Then Treasure Hunter, and the ability to solo most mobs was really appealing.
 Fairy.Antigone
user: jarredpoe
By Fairy.Antigone 2009-05-02 21:39:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I so couldnt decide, I lvled everything I had, BLU was my first job to 50 then I moved to PLD. I knew I hated mages and outside of that had no clue what to lv.
When I started a static with a great friend doing my RNG and her DNC was when I finally decided that RNG was the one. Then once I finally hit that magic lv75 I had the same problem as before and had no clue what to lv so I went back to PLD but it annoyed me so much that it takes about 30-45 mins to get myself a rep and I try really hard to never leave a pt without a rep (Dont get me wrong PLD is one of my fav jobs for events but damn do I hate pting with them)so then I figured I would just lv a couple more low lv's and fell in love with PUP and now I'm about to hit my 2nd lv75 and both seem to be jobs noone ever wants lol.
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-05-02 22:16:09
Link | Quote | Reply

My first character was Elvaan, I got it to 58 rdm I believe, and I was a lolmeleerdm at that. I stopped playing for nearly a year due to ***life circumstances and lost that character. So the second time around I had a bit of knowledge of the game before hand, and ToAU had just been released. I really liked the potential that blu showed in it's diversity. So everything I did everything I could to unlock blu asap. I levelled war to 18 for SJ as I figured it would be fastest to level, as well as being a good SJ for blu (which I did use it as SJ on and off up to 60 blu). Then I levelled MNK/WAR to 14 so that it would give me a full war/mnk sub to 29, I didn't mind being gimp at 30 as I was retiring war at that point. I then solo'd my way to aht urgahn and unlocked blu solo too.

I also levelled whm to 25 for the sole purpose of solo-ing the runic portals... THAT was fun.

But to this day, I still love my blu for the same reasons that first attracted me to it, which makes me love it even more since so many blu's just use it for DD and nothing more ^^
 Ifrit.Thunderz
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-05-02 22:26:33
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

The 1st time I played FFXI was back in 06 and picked DRK got it to 50 but when summer was over I had to put it away :/

Now when I got back on FFXI I decided on sam just the simple fact I like to skill chain and on drk it just didn't happen lol xD
 Fairy.Azulmagia
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-05-02 23:30:12
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU for me, as it is my overall favourite job in the series; PLD being second.

That said, I wish someone said I'd need Sea for BLU.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-05-02 23:41:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Azulmagia said:
BLU for me, as it is my overall favourite job in the series; PLD being second.

That said, I wish someone said I'd need Sea for BLU.

Yeah, I kinda missed that memo myself but how many people do you know that had sea before they had sky? yo
 Ramuh.Lilsanchez
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Lilsanchez 2009-05-02 23:57:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:

Yeah, I kinda missed that memo myself but how many people do you know that had sea before they had sky? yo

They need to be shot.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-05-03 00:03:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Lilsanchez said:
Blazza said:

They need to be shot.

; ;
 Fairy.Conchita
user: Conchita
By Fairy.Conchita 2009-05-03 00:23:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I started off as a RDM, I loved the way AF looked. During the time I was lvling up until 30 I saw this movie "Last Samurai" and I was like "wow I wanna be a SAM!" >.> Ya, was silly. So I went to unlock SAM and got it to lvl 63 and then quit it. I started a little static with a RNG friend and did my THF with him. He then decided to quit RNG (around lvl 65), so I started WHM with his NIN. At lvl 60 he decided to quit the game. I was like screw it, I want my first 75! So I finished WHM.

After WHM I did BRD, was also for a static and then I went back onto SAM. I love the SCing on SAM, sadly I don't get to use it too often :<
 Seraph.Xdudemanx
Server: Seraph
user: xdudemanx
By Seraph.Xdudemanx 2009-05-03 00:39:05
Link | Quote | Reply

my first real job was paper route..also helped my dad at his restaurant at the same time....
oh wait
[+]
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-05-03 00:44:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Xdudemanx said:
my first real job was paper route..also helped my dad at his restaurant at the same time....
oh wait

you're doing it wrong!
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-05-03 00:50:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Xdudemanx said:
oh wait

I miss my first RL job, worked as a general laborer on a golf course. Hours sucked (2am-7am, yuck) but the job was pretty much parking golf carts, and then emptying trash cans at the bathrooms around the course with the only other younger guy that worked there...which in reality took like 2 hours to do, so the rest of the time was spent mudding with golf carts in the woods at 4 in the morning while getting paid. Lost one in the lake once (blamed it on the E-brake) as well as rolled one end over end down a hill (that damn E-brake again ^^)

Ya I know you were joking but made me reminisce :P