Your 1st Job, And Why?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Your 1st Job, and Why?
Your 1st Job, and Why?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-05-01 09:59:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I picked a few jobs when I first created characters, but the one that I enjoyed is BLM, so I leveled BLM to 75. I went through all kinds of adventure fun with my blm, waaaaaaay before nerfing and level sync. And I love my blm. :) Love blowing ***up and love to have fun with it, when its challenging. (I do hate being blm in sea for hours just nuking at aerns for a pop...its boring)
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-05-01 10:11:59
Link | Quote | Reply

It was either going to be PLD or DRK... I liked the idea of having both melee power and magic power, and I enjoyed both tanking on DDing on WAR/MNK getting to 30.

I was really undecided about which job to pick when I heard about the huge "loldrk" stigma around at the time, which settled me. I always like to play the underdog in games, bring out potential where nobody else could see it. So I chose DRK.

I doubt anyone calls DRK weak these days :P
 Asura.Yotevol
Server: Asura
user: Yotevol
By Asura.Yotevol 2009-05-01 10:15:37
Link | Quote | Reply

My plans started when I first joined the game 5ish years ago.
I first chose WHM. I chose WHM because at the start of the game, I couldn't afford anything.
However, WHMs will still get invites (before BRD and COR and SMN were thought about main healing), regardless of their gear.
I remember to this day, Wrabbit, who bought me my scroll of Raise, when I couldn't afford it.
I remember running to the runes and shouting for anyone that needs a raise to /tell me and it would only cost 1k! LOL

After that, I needed to make money, so I leveled THF.
Then, my LS needed more BLMs, so I leveled BLM.

After that, I wanted to have fun, so I leveled RNG.

Now, I want to solo everything as a challenge, so I am leveling RDM (currently 74).

~Yote
 Odin.Gaea
Server: Odin
user:
By Odin.Gaea 2009-05-01 10:16:16
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Black Mage, because it was one of the original 6, but after I got it up a little and I was unable to unlock other jobs, I tried them all and BST became my "favorite" right away.

It was my first job to 75, and I was ALWAYS on it when I could be, but then PUP came out and I was like OMGGGGGGG! DO WANT! It was like BST only better because it seemed to work just about everywhere and could be customized so incredibly.

So, BST was my first, once I could unlock some jobs, and PUP is my main, because BST was nerfed so bad and it just plain failed me.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-05-01 10:19:01
Link | Quote | Reply

White Mage

I first stared playing during the inflation. Great time for a noob to begin huh? I saw shouts for teleports for like 5-10k and thought it would be awesome to make "free gil" telewhoring in Jeuno. While teleporting I'd get invites and next thing I know I'm 75.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-05-01 10:21:15
Link | Quote | Reply

My first job was MNK as a Hume. I was a Galka for 5 minutes then switched to Hume.

I've been doing Martial Arts for 4 years and MNK really suited my personality, plus I like to beat ***to death with a big smile on my face while Slayer plays "Hell Awaits" in the background.
 Leviathan.Webjester
Server: Leviathan
user: Webjester
By Leviathan.Webjester 2009-05-01 10:23:15
Link | Quote | Reply

When I started playing FFXI, I had it in my head that I was going to be a Summoner. I always thought Rydia was an awesome character, so Summoner seemed like a natural choice.

I did the usual climb, started leveling WHM BLM and RDM for sub jobs. Along the way, I realized I was having a lot of fun on RDM. I ended up in a dunes party that took my RDM up from 14-20 in one sitting. And they let me melee!

At the time our linkshell was so Red Mage heavy it was laughable (I think 75% of our shell had RDM75 at the time). But I kept at it.

There were milestones along the way that made me keep chasing the carrot. Convert, Refresh, Haste, Elemental Staves, Vermillion Cloak, Pimp Hat, etc. I remember getting into my first TP Burn party, and walking away from the job for a while.

Dinging 75 was really rewarding, I hit 75 in an all Linkshell party, surrounded by friends. It was a very warm and fuzzy moment!

Now, years later, RDM feels like my love/hate relationship with FFXI. There's so much you can do with it, but it can really be a drag doing it at times.

One more thing I will say about leveling RDM, you get to learn so much about the game as you level up. Leveling RDM taught me how to play almost every job that came after. When you sit on the backlines and see other peoples triumphs and failures, you can glean a lot of information.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-05-01 10:24:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Kungfuhustle said:
My first job was MNK as a Hume. I was a Galka for 5 minutes then switched to Hume.

I've been doing Martial Arts for 4 years and MNK really suited my personality, plus I like to beat ***to death with a big smile on my face while Slayer plays "Hell Awaits" in the background.

<3

Mnk is so awesome, I really wanna get mnk geared well. I Need to plan it out :)
 Hades.Jacinda
Server: Hades
user: Jacinda
By Hades.Jacinda 2009-05-01 10:27:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Alyria said:
Kungfuhustle said:

<3

Monk needs some awesome foot weaponskills. You know, some Chuck Norris roundhouse kicks, or a tornado kick that inflicts knockback + stun.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-05-01 10:28:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Alyria said:
Kungfuhustle said:

<3

I can give you a hand with the NQ, easy-to-get stuff. I haven't dipped into the Salvage, Limbus, Einharjar(sp?) gear yet.

For your enjoyment, I give to you... my old Capoeira group.

This clip shows my old Capoeira group back home, a view of the shows we did, and the people I used to train with.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-05-01 10:29:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Jacinda said:
Alyria said:
Kungfuhustle said:

<3

Monk needs some awesome foot weaponskills. You know, some Chuck Norris roundhouse kicks, or a tornado kick that inflicts knockback + stun.

Footwork + (Kick Attack+) Shoes + high H2H = LETHAL!
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-05-01 10:30:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Jacinda said:
Alyria said:
Kungfuhustle said:

<3

Dragon kick is freakin awesome to see lol it does the roundhouse kick like in street fighter lol

It would be sweet to have those too.

And make the the kicks do random kicks instead of just kicking low at the shins.

CHUN LI Thunder KICK!!!! RAWR!!!
 Hades.Dizzmal
Server: Hades
user: Dizzmal
By Hades.Dizzmal 2009-05-01 10:32:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't sure when I first started. My choice came up as I was leveling war with Sword and shield(Yes I was one of those noobs) I got killed and a PLD with full AF raised me. I was so smiten that I was on a mission after that. I soloed all 3 parts of the pld quest as a lv 30 war. I even dleveled during the part in the caves and had to home point then get a party to get the level back and tried it again.

Been PLD main ever since.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-05-01 10:32:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Alyria said:
Jacinda said:
Alyria said:
Kungfuhustle said:

<3

Dragon kick is freakin awesome to see lol it does the roundhouse kick like in street fighter lol

It would be sweet to have those too.

And make the the kicks do random kicks instead of just kicking low at the shins.

CHUN LI Thunder KICK!!!! RAWR!!!

When a MNK double attacks using kicks, they kick high first, then low. Galkas look funny doing kicks cz their feet or so stumpy, and Tarus doing kicks remind me of a baby kicking and screaming.
 Sylph.Dubberrucky
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Dubberrucky 2009-05-01 10:32:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I started as RDM and took it all the way up without stoping except to level the subs. Now its retired and has been collecting dust for well over a year. I dont even tell people I even have it anymore and all out refuse to play it unless its truely required for something a friend needs and we cant find anouther. Can we say refresh *** burnout :P After my 1st 75 I guess i took the "I want to be a noob again" route and instead of focusing on anouther 75 I decided to take up all the jobs to at least 37 its still a work in progress becuase I fell in love with a few jobs along the way and couldnt stop myself. My main job now is BST and I really wish I would have given it a fair shot before I leveled my RDM then maybe Maat wouldnt have made me throw things at the tv.

A side note grats your 1st 75 is always quite an achievement sounds like you fell in with a ls that realy just didnt suit either you or your sense of humor (my ls throws around things like gimp and noob a lot but we are all aware its ment as a joke and that may have been the case there too but no way of knowing for sure) I hope you have better luck in the future of finding the right ls for you, just remember friends are still friends even if your not in the same shell :)
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-05-01 10:35:46
Link | Quote | Reply

My LS has a range of jokes, from your mom to.... sex. Of course I'm the one who starts those very disturbing jokes, but they still love me.

fat ninjar edit: Arent they cute?

User submitted image
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-05-01 10:45:14
Link | Quote | Reply

yea but i mean high kicks where they kick the opponents head not their thigh or arm.

Kick to the head BAM!!
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-05-01 10:48:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Alyria said:
yea but i mean high kicks where they kick the opponents head not their thigh or arm.

Kick to the head BAM!!

User submitted image

User submitted image
[+]
 Fairy.Ryogo
Server: Fairy
user: Ryogo
By Fairy.Ryogo 2009-05-01 10:56:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bard -> Samurai -> Monk (mule, mistake) -> Warrior (mistake)

Unless you get your jollies out of leveling things to 75, you'll get missions done quicker, make more gil, and get equipment easier if you level your 1st job as something that's more useful for other people, and only level 1 or 2 additional 75s that are completely different.
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-05-01 11:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Black Mage, why ? Because that's the only job who could nuke ***at the time (no SCH). SMN wasn't unlocked till 30 and ain't a pure mage as in others MMOs (direct damage with *anytime* spells). Taru + Windy + BLM was a 100% win combo since day 1 :]
 Ragnarok.Sephiros
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sephi
By Ragnarok.Sephiros 2009-05-01 11:24:50
Link | Quote | Reply

White Mage,and why¿? Just because they're always needed & it's not an easy job to use(even many ppl said the opposite).
Now we're more useful thanks 2 new magics & job abilities from last update,and there weren't many "skilled" healers on Ragna,so it was a great choice ;D
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-05-01 11:34:02
Link | Quote | Reply

My first character (lolmanthra) was SAM main after trying out many jobs all in the 30s range though. I originally wanted to be NIN/THF before I knew anything about the game b/c I thought it would be like a real assassin that could make lots of money. Once I realized that NIN is a loltank I chose not to lvl it.

I started this character (lolelvaan) as SAM main, and made it to 51 before invites just never happened. SAM delvled while I was camping J-Gi and died to aggro from that machine, and I retired it after that.

Then I started dabbling with more jobs. A rl friend started playing and I came back on leave from Iraq so I started lvling MNK with him in a static. I hated MNK to start actually, but then somehow it became my main. I went from 11 > 41 during my leave before I had to go back, when I came back for good I was MNK from then on.

After about a year of MNK only I finished SAM to 75 and started PLD then quit it. I lvl'd BRD to 75 to get into endgame shells since no one wanted MNK or SAM. Over a long period of time THF made it to 75 too b/c I wanted a farming job (now farming is useless, go figure).
 Fairy.Mykoto
user: Mykoto
By Fairy.Mykoto 2009-05-01 11:44:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Black Mage for me. Before I bought FFXI, I remember discussing it with friends, and what jobs we'd all be, and in every other FF the Summoner job has ALWAYS been my favorite (Rydia and Garnet FTW). So naturally, I jumped up and said I was going to be the Summoner in our group. Then it was revealed to me that I couldn't be Summoner till 30 :( So having just stepped out of Ragnarok Online (I was a hardcore mage in that game), I decided I'd be the Black Mage, since it was what I was familiar with.

Once I hit 30, I immediately ran and unlocked summoner. Quit black mage for a bit to level that one up some. I was told however that I should continue on with black mage, encouraged to get that one up so I could have atleast one 75 job, so I left summoner at 37, and continued on with black mage for the time...

It was fun, and now that they're both 75, I can't really say I'm more one job than the other, I'm pretty equally blm/smn.

And for the record, I too felt the pain of everyone telling me to solo as blm, or main heal as smn... I was pretty determined to prove them all wrong though, and I never soloed more than a total of like 5 hours in my entire blm career, nor have I ever TRULY main healed as smn... I mean I always do a good job of balancing summoning with healing, and I won't be a party's healer at all if they don't have a back up healer.
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-05-01 11:45:11
Link | Quote | Reply

{derail}

Out of curiosity Yakutatzu, what branch are you in? Reason I ask is I've got a few friends that are former Army, and like every picture I've seen of them from their Army days they're either getting trashed at a bar in civvies, or dead asleep, in uniform, in some random office lol

Your avi just reminds me of that ^^

{/derail}
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-05-01 12:03:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I was in the Army. Got out a year ago (most my lvling has been since then b/c I had no time while in ).
 Odin.Moondaddy
Server: Odin
user: Moondaddy
By Odin.Moondaddy 2009-05-01 12:36:27
Link | Quote | Reply

when i first started i wanted to lvl mnk. i mean mnk is one of the badest jobs in the ff series. then i found out drg was in ffxi. mnk hit 20 and hasnt moved in 3yrs. second 75 was rdm because it so much easyer to get xp/merit pt
 Shiva.Jimmyjazz
Server: Shiva
user: Jimmyjazz
By Shiva.Jimmyjazz 2009-05-01 13:15:21
Link | Quote | Reply

My first advanced job was DRG to Lv51. Then Penta Thrust got the tp return nerf. I quit the game shortly after for a year or so.
On my return (thank you welcome home vanadiel) I unlocked BRD and never looked back. I still remember running back from a dunes party after learning Foe Lullaby sleeping everything in La Theine plateau.
Second job to 75 was WAR because I wanted to smack stuff.
 Kujata.Maidak
Server: Kujata
user: Maidak
By Kujata.Maidak 2009-05-01 13:18:20
Link | Quote | Reply

i picked blu bcause i always like blue mage in all the final fantasys and the materia in ff7 was awesome i tried 2 learn every spell there was. but yeah i also started playing around ToAH release as well
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-05-01 13:53:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Black mage will be my first (sitting at 65 right now). I've always been a fan of mage jobs and light melee, so blm was right up my alley. Nothing quite like nuking the absolute ***out of something from the backline...

Then I find out from my shell that I'm basically not going to get an invite from 40 to 75. I nearly dropped the job right then and there. As it turns out though, I really enjoy soloing so it's all good.

For my other jobs... I want to unlock PLD at some point because we have a fantastic and very helpful PLD in our shell who made a huge impression on me. He's walked to me to various areas for the first time, helped me in countless quests, and gotten me out of some fairly nasty situations. It's not really my style, but I feel it's a job I could play well.

I still don't know why I went and unlocked DRG... pure melee, especially the slow 2hand melee, bores me to tears. I leveled it to 20 and dropped the job for a few months. Picked it up again last week and fell in love with it, been out soloing DRG/BLU quite a bit since then. Maybe it's the soloing over the partying XD

Speaking of BLU, that might be my favorite job so far. It would be my second 75 except that I want to get Sea access before I finish it. Unlocking it for DRG/BLU is probably the best thing I've done on this game, it's gotta be illegal to have so much fun.

Still looking to try BST, SMN, DNC, and RNG. Maybe I'll level THF someday too.