/em つは日本語に翻訳しています!
 Phoenix.Amael
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Amael 2009-04-21 09:10:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Zanno said:
"Integrated" translator like this one on google would be nice in game"

This is a nice idea that i brought to my ls once. Translators like this, (think Dictionary.com looks more accurate anyways) could be a great built-in for the game. How bout an Expansion for the /translate command? Something like "/translateSH ej Can I have help with this?" or in Config a translation option to see all shouts translated. May slow down the chat log a bit, but would be a nice addition nonetheless
 Phoenix.Amael
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amael 2009-04-21 09:11:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Excesspain said:
/em つは日本語に翻訳しています!

{Congratulations!}
 Unicorn.Excesspain
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-04-21 09:22:44
Link | Quote | Reply

王は恐い

{Run Away!}
 Fairy.Blackmist
Server: Fairy
user: Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2009-04-21 09:32:30
Link | Quote | Reply

D: Meep~ ; ;

Learn me the ways of teh Jp lang. :x
 Unicorn.Excesspain
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-04-21 09:45:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Blackmist said:

卓球の卓球
 Fairy.Blackmist
user: Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2009-04-21 09:50:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Excesspain said:
Blackmist said:

卓球の卓球

wow! no way Awesome ~ I have been learned
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-04-21 10:20:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Excesspain said:
王は恐い

according to google translation: "Wang is afraid"
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-04-21 10:31:34
Link | Quote | Reply

god damn squiggly lines o.o
 Ifrit.Kalix
user: Tokitung
By Ifrit.Kalix 2009-04-21 21:00:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I have no qualms with any other ethnicity, especially in game. I believe much of the angst about the "JP/English Only" is due to a few bad apples ruining the game feeling for the rest.

When ever I get a /tell to join a pt, I always reply in Auto-Translate so the party, if not english, knows that I am will to try to make things work. After that, it is all based on what you do and what you say. If you have really cheese macros in english or constantly curse/use foul language/talk to only enlish members, then you are simply being rude to your non-english counterparts.

i.e. I was exping in qufim as Rdm/Whm, note that my char is a Galka (mp pool of suck.) I was in a JP party, from which I didn't hardly speak the first 30 min or so. As we exped, I showed that I knew how to play my job (hMP gear, hMP food, low down time, Grav kiting adds, etc), so they started trying to talk to me (I started noticing {Galka} remarks with question marks). I simply responded using Auto-Translate, but did not request/force them to use it or to try and speak simple english. Through their own choice, they began to use Auto-Translate to speak more with me.

My point is, everyone has had bad encounters with ALL nationalities. I've had most of mine with NA tbh. Just don't let it become an immediate standing point to all that you meet and try to be a bit more open/sensitive in that they may have more recently had a bad experience. I have many JP friends that love doing things with me (mostly Tarutaru, oddly enough O.o) because they know that I will try to communicate with them and won't belittle them for broken english.

/end rant.
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Pocoterremoto 2009-04-21 21:03:12
Link | Quote | Reply

日本語は最高ですが、誰もが私の意見では学ばなければならない
 Ifrit.Kalix
By Ifrit.Kalix 2009-04-21 21:05:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I would love to learn, but have many other things on my plate atm. I'm also trying to learn Gaelic and Mandarin Chinese.

Edit: Does anyone know of a way to copy/paste lines from FFXI to google translator?
By Sylph.Pocoterremoto 2009-04-21 21:07:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalix said:
I would love to learn, but have many other things on my plate atm. I'm also trying to learn Gaelic and Mandarin Chinese.

Edit: Does anyone know of a way to copy/paste lines from FFXI to google translator?

i dont believe there is a way unless i dont know about it
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-04-21 21:09:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I already know another language so I'm fine without learning Chicken Scrabble.
 Ragnarok.Psyence
Server: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-04-21 21:21:41
Link | Quote | Reply

/em dreams of a world dominated by humes...

wait... it already is irl and it's not doing much good

bah...

/em goes back to sleep
By Sylph.Pocoterremoto 2009-04-21 21:22:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Psyence said:
/em dreams of an irl world dominated by humes...

wait... it already is

dont forget the little people!
 Ifrit.Kalix
By Ifrit.Kalix 2009-04-21 21:27:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Kungfuhustle said:

^This is exactly what I mean.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-04-21 21:37:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalix said:
Kungfuhustle said:

Oi, don't forget there are more than 2000 languages in the world, not just Japanese.

I wanna learn Portuguese.
 Ifrit.Kalix
By Ifrit.Kalix 2009-04-21 21:43:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Kungfuhustle said:
Kalix said:
Kungfuhustle said:

Oi, don't forget there are more than 2000 languages in the world, not just Japanese.

I wanna learn Portuguese.

I was more noting the refrence to japanese to "chicken scrabble".
 Bahamut.Bokkai
Server: Bahamut
user: Bokkai
By Bahamut.Bokkai 2009-04-22 12:09:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think there should be any segregation in game. I have joined many PT's with mixed nationalities and have had much success. Actually, I have more success with JP players, they are a bit more serious about reaching a goal like myself.

I also I have many JP friends when I play Call of Duty 4 that I play and chat with. I printed out common phrases and and some dirty stuff that I use to communicate with them. I have them laughing hard telling them some of the dirty stuff, and they also teach me the proper way to say things and some new stuff as well. I find JP players to be fun.
 Fenrir.Didgist
Server: Fenrir
user: Didgist
By Fenrir.Didgist 2009-04-22 12:33:15
Link | Quote | Reply

The JP already have their own server, Ifrit.

I did Nyzul 1-100 in Japanese Pickup groups.

English is the real chicken scrabble, this language makes no sense unless you were born in this country and had it beat into your head.

I think I have more Japanese friends than Americans nowadays and honestly it's because of the age/acountability factor that everyone blames all their "racism" on. Honestly you can throw me on the cross too, I enjoy JP only groups. lol

If you're butt hurt you can't get into nyzul/exp parties/whatever then why don't you take a lesson from the Japanese and learn their language because they were forced to learn yours since grade school.

If you're a serious FF fan then you'll stop complaining and learn the language because this game was born and play tested in Japan and will always be a Japanese game.

よろしくお願いしますー
 Unicorn.Excesspain
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-04-22 12:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Zanno said:
Excesspain said:
王は恐い

according to google translation: "Wang is afraid"

Haha I used dictionary.com one and it said Fear the king.
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-22 12:57:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Didgist said:
I think I have more Japanese friends than Americans nowadays and honestly it's because of the age/acountability factor that everyone blames all their "racism" on. Honestly you can throw me on the cross too, I enjoy JP only groups. lol

While I can kinda understand the "segregationist attitude" that many JPs have, the flip side has a point, too. I mean, there's multilingual services and such pretty much everywhere in the U.S., and a lot of people would view someone saying "NA ONLY" in a party invite as being *** up. The language barrier makes it somewhat understandable for something like a party and such, where communication is key, but I'm at least willing to try and communicate via the auto translate. I think everyone should be willing to try...JP, NA, EU or whatever.

I will say though, blaming "age/accountability" on not playing with NA's is a pretty broad generalization. Despite what people may have heard, NA's aren't all rude, racist idiot "mouth breathers". Just like a few *** JP's shouldn't taint a persons view of them as a whole, a few *** NA's shouldn't either.
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-04-22 13:03:17
Link | Quote | Reply

People are funny as ***. People on this game complain about JP ONRY etc etc, but are usually always the same people saying "*** people living in america can't speak english." Anyway. JPs prefer to have someone they can speak whole plans in their native language to, just as we do sometimes. Albeit there ARE those who just hate NA players...try having a japanese player in a party who doesn't understand if you're trying to do something a little different than usual.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-04-22 13:06:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Some ppl seems to just be afraid of giving JP players a choice. What are you afraid of really? Instead of giving them a choice, its better to force them to play with ppl they dont wanna play with?

"QQ I wanna play with JP players, so I dont want them to have a choice"
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-22 13:10:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Eternaltriumph said:
People are funny as ***. People on this game complain about JP ONRY etc etc, but are usually always the same people saying "*** people living in america can't speak english."

To be honest, I think living in the U.S. you should learn basic English, but I feel the same way as other places, too. Wanna live in Japan? Learn Japanese. Italy? Learn Italian...and so on and so forth. That's the price you pay if you wanna live in a place where a different language is dominant.

It's disrespectful in my mind to go to a foreign country and expect everyone to be able to communicate with you in your native language and not take the time to learn theirs on some level.

Zanno said:

Of course they have a choice, but having two mutually exclusive groups of players on a game that was supposed to be groundbreaking and allow different languages to communicate and play with each other kinda sucks.
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-04-22 13:12:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah. But even so, most people would laugh at the person struggling to try and speak the basic. Hence where the "LOLONRY" thing came from.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-22 13:21:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Eternaltriumph said:
Yeah. But even so, most people would laugh at the person struggling to try and speak the basic. Hence where the "LOLONRY" thing came from.

This is true, but I can't believe that there isn't any laughing on the JP side at NA's attempting (and butchering) Japanese. It's human nature...I got laughed at all the time when I was trying to learn basic Albanian and Greek from co-workers I had in a previous job. I wasn't offended; they weren't trying to be disrespectful, but me trying to say "It's time to go home" and having it come out more like "Tree fire insert please" is understandably funny.

Obviously there are those that are malicious when it comes to that stuff, but we're not all like that.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-04-22 13:23:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:

Zanno said:

Of course they have a choice, but having two mutually exclusive groups of players on a game that was supposed to be groundbreaking and allow different languages to communicate and play with each other kinda sucks.

Thats the thing, the don't have a choice to go and play on a JPonly server. And ppl on here arguing how they should not be given the choice to do so, because they wanna play with the JP players (that obviously dont wish to play with them)
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-22 13:28:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Zanno said:
Thats the thing, the don't have a choice to go and play on a JPonly server. And ppl on here arguing how they should not be given the choice to do so, because they wanna play with the JP players (that obviously dont wish to play with them)

They still have a choice, what, is the mere presence of NA's on the server offensive now? A JP could go through this game without interacting with an NA at all, outside of the AH obviously. I'm sure there's plenty of NA's that have never interacted with a JP before, too.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8