Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-04-18 15:42:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Antipika said:
Haseyo said:

PSU (Phantasy Star Universe) kind of had a JP server, but was a world. Was Universe 16 where the JPs would hang out. (but on this game you could change servers any time in seconds)

PSU JP always been strictly separated from EU/NA. Not the same gameclient, not the same billing website, not the same board and update always been earlier on JP servers... Was exactly the same on PSO.

Quote:
What we need is a Tarutaru only server...

Hell yeah we do.

Late response , lol. But yeah I meant for the PSU Ps2/PC for the NA/EU side. For us 360ers, JPs were stuck with the NA/EU side of things, wasn't a JP 360 only server.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-04-18 15:42:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ludoggy said:
a million?
what a rip

not only a million! Bid now and you'll get to pay for my server transferring as well!
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-04-18 15:43:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Zanno said:
I'd love to send all RMT's to a server of their own.

Eve Online actually did this years ago.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-04-18 15:46:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:
Zanno said:
I'd love to send all RMT's to a server of their own.

Eve Online actually did this years ago.

O really? thats just hillarious. just imagine when they log in and all they see is RMTBob, RMTSteve, RMTJohn ect
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-04-18 15:47:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Littledarc said:
a lot of JP do know english.

"Knowing" English and wanting to actually speak it are two different things.

English is mandatory in JP public school, so they all speak it to some extent, but this doesn't make it any more fun. You know how students here in the states whine when they have to take a couple years of a foreign language in high school? Take that same reaction and stretch it out over 12 years, and you have the Japanese experience toward English.

Not only do most of them hate it with a strong passion, a lot of them have it for homework every night. Would you want to finish up your calculus homework, hop online, and play an MMO where you're forced to communicate in more Calculus?

Given that most Americans have to take at least some advanced math in high school, you could also claim that "all Americans know trigonometry," but that's completely laughable. How many people do you know that remember any of it 4 years later? And how many adults, provided they don't need to use it in their daily jobs, react positively when you try to remind them what a derivative is?
[+]
 Bismarck.Barrd
Server: Bismarck
user: barrd
By Bismarck.Barrd 2009-04-18 15:51:59
Link | Quote | Reply

well se shude make a sever for hacker only if thay hack thay go there where thay can play whit no ruels and hack the hell out the game as thay wish and let the real plays play on other server that way thay dont lose $$$ by ban ppl
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-18 15:52:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:
Would you want to finish up your calculus homework, hop online, and play an MMO where you're forced to communicate in more Calculus?

*** NO ^^
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-04-18 15:53:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Why must Jaerik be so right. ; ;
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-04-18 16:14:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:
Littledarc said:

English is mandatory in JP public school, so they all speak it to some extent, but this doesn't make it any more fun. You know how students here in the states whine when they have to take a couple years of a foreign language in high school? Take that same reaction and stretch it out over 12 years, and you have the Japanese experience toward English.

Not only do most of them hate it with a strong passion, a lot of them have it for homework every night. Would you want to finish up your calculus homework, hop online, and play an MMO where you're forced to communicate in more Calculus?

Given that most Americans have to take at least some advanced math in high school, you could also claim that "all Americans know trigonometry," but that's completely laughable. How many people do you know that remember any of it 4 years later? And how many adults, provided they don't need to use it in their daily jobs, react positively when you try to remind them what a derivative is?

i see this point. I'm swedish, my native language is not english, obviously. I too had to learn english in school for around 10 years. Cant remember exactly, but i think they start teaching us english when we're around 7-8 years old here. I also come home and sit down in FFXI and communticate with ppl from all over the world on a language that is not my native language.

This pretty much goes for all countries that dont have english as their native language.

FFXI would be really screwed if everyone refused to speak anything but their native language, is what I'm trying to say.
 Midgardsormr.Katashuro
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sephyrus
By Midgardsormr.Katashuro 2009-04-18 16:19:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Zanno said:
Jaerik said:
Littledarc said:

i see this point. I'm swedish, my native language is not english, obviously. I too had to learn english in school for around 10 years. Cant remember exactly, but i think they start teaching us english when we're around 7-8 years old here. I also come home and sit down in FFXI and communticate with ppl from all over the world on a language that is not my native language.

This pretty much goes for all countries that dont have english as their native language.

FFXI would be really screwed if everyone refused to speak anything but their native language, is what I'm trying to say.

^this
 Garuda.Littledarc
Server: Garuda
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-04-18 16:25:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:
Littledarc said:

that was in response to zanno saying: "Yeah, or they can do as the rest of the world and learn some very basic english <.<"

plz dun eat meh.
 Phoenix.Amael
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amael 2009-04-18 17:52:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Learning Japanese is no easy task. Sure if we speak romanized we can get our points across "Sumimasen, nihongo-wa wakarimasen ; ;" but when they replied "私はローマ字のように日本語を行う" you can go O.O;;; If FFXI communication was verbal and not written then maybe we can all learn it eventually, but sadly it isnt. And I Cant bring myself to learn to read japanese.

on another point, no one has post this, read it, its good to learn the other side point of view.

http://www.jpbutton.com/?p=551
 Asura.Ktjrn
Server: Asura
user:
By Asura.Ktjrn 2009-04-18 18:23:03
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

That site you provided is very insightful. I too hate to be checked and feel that it's very rude and disrespectful. A lot of ppl unfortunately won't or can't see outside the box, and it sucks that US and Jap players are divided.

I hope everyone can get along someday :)
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-04-18 18:40:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Pftt I'll /check anyone I feel like. ><; Especially if that person is the same current job as me, so I can compare or even look at it as some gear advise. Just /blist me if you get pissed, not like it will make a difference. :P

The more you change gear, the more I will check you, so give it up JPs, give it up...
 Lakshmi.Galvaya
user: Galvaya
By Lakshmi.Galvaya 2009-04-18 18:52:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, if they WERE to segregate the servers, that would screw up every server, their economy,exp parties, HNM hunting, all of it. Currently, there's almost a consistent amount of people on, at any one given time. IF you took away the JP, then at 3am tuesday in the morning, you'd have Fafnir up walking around, NA Bards looking for party, 100% full moon, 0% new moons with hardly anyone online to utilize, it would be chaotic. lol.
 Lakshmi.Wardens
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-04-18 18:57:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I only read most of the first page. But I think everyone segregates to some extent whether they mean to or not. Why the one time I made a late night Nyzul Isle run where 4 jp ppl wanted to join. So I gave the pt over to them and decided I would just slow them down since I couldn't understand them. It wasn't to be mean or anything. But I personally like that we can get creative with them whether through emotes or auto-translate. Some of the best parties I've personally had were with 4/6 jp players. Like a pt in East Ronfaure [S] where we were getting 11-12k/hr xp towards the end of the party was amazing. Not all jp segregate. I just wouldn't be as happy playing JP onry or NA only.
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-18 19:23:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Haseyo said:
Pftt I'll /check anyone I feel like. ><; Especially if that person is the same current job as me, so I can compare or even look at it as some gear advise. Just /blist me if you get pissed, not like it will make a difference. :P

The more you change gear, the more I will check you, so give it up JPs, give it up...

Well, like it says in that article (I think, been a while since I read it but read it a while ago), what shows up as "______ examines you." in the NA (and I assume EU?) client shows up as "________ stares at you fixedly." I've heard from quite a few people that in Japan, and Japanese culture in general, that staring at someone is considered very rude, so I can understand them not liking it. I can't say myself, because I've never been to Japan (although I would love to visit someday, my brother and sis-in-law did a year in Okinawa while in the Marine Corps, and they said it's freaking awesome over there, they had a blast ^^

That being said, though, JPs need to get over it a little bit. By now one would think that it was common knowledge among the JP community that the NA and EU connotations of the /check system are not meant to be rude or disrespectful at all...we're just curious by nature and wanna see what other people are wearing. Personally, I take it as a compliment when someone /checks me...unless of course I'm wearing crap gear for whatever reason, then I wanna crawl into a hole lol
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-04-18 19:28:34
Link | Quote | Reply

The JPButton site linked above is incredibly accurate and valuable. I would really suggest everyone read it to understand the opposite point of view.
 Asura.Celene
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-04-18 20:13:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not Japanese, but I get a bit bothered when people /check me. I'unno. Just makes me feel uncomfortable. ._.;
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-04-18 20:15:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Celene said:
I'm not Japanese, but I get a bit bothered when people /check me. I'unno. Just makes me feel uncomfortable. ._.;

go to filters and turn it off, what you dont know cant hurt you.
/checks you out
 Odin.Katoke
Server: Odin
user: Katoke
By Odin.Katoke 2009-04-18 20:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Solution to this: Make an NA English Speaking server only.
 Asura.Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-04-18 20:40:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ludoggy said:
Celene said:

/checks you out

I never said it made me angry or it bothers me so much. Just uncomfortable. If it really did bother me that much, then, yes, I would filter it. I was just throwing it out there, since we were on the topic.
I think, though if I did, I would be too curious as to see who was actually checking me...
Curiosity killed the cat.
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-04-18 20:52:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Celene said:
Ludoggy said:
Celene said:

/checks you out

I never said it made me angry or it bothers me so much. Just uncomfortable. If it really did bother me that much, then, yes, I would filter it. I was just throwing it out there, since we were on the topic.
I think, though if I did, I would be too curious as to see who was actually checking me...
Curiosity killed the cat.

thhpt!
if it makes you uncomfortable, block it. I did that since it also makes me feel weird.
 Asura.Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-04-18 20:56:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Can I block you? You make me uncomfortable...

<3
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-04-18 21:03:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Having NA-only and JP-only servers would be stupid. The NA servers would be like WoW without JPs to keep them in check.
 Asura.Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-04-18 21:28:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Naw, I will have to disagree.
WoW gets more of an immature fan base than FFXI because of its simplicity and good advertising. So, I don't see XI getting anywhere near like WoW, in that kind of sense. We just don't have as many. Besides, weren't we all agreeing on how a lot JP don't like NA/EU? They don't really have anything to do with us on a more social level, so, how would they keep us in line? xP
 Lakshmi.Galvaya
user: Galvaya
By Lakshmi.Galvaya 2009-04-19 02:08:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I love playing with JP players, I'm never the guy who yells at them for "JP only". I can't speak japanese, I've tried occasionally to communicate with the half-*** Japanese that I know, it's never gone south for me. I suggest trying to bridge the gap or just add a cool face ˆˆ \('ω ') (/Д') etc.
After all..as a language/country we did invade THEIR game...whether or not SE made it for them first, we can't blame them. JP usually keep to themselves and are very polite. As NA players in general, some come across very arrogant or very rude.
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-04-19 02:10:09
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Abit of patience and a will to learn along with a dash of politeness and courtesy can go a looooooong way.
 Garuda.Ishkur
Server: Garuda
user: Ishkur
By Garuda.Ishkur 2009-04-19 02:26:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Galvaya said:
I love playing with JP players, I'm never the guy who yells at them for "JP only". I can't speak japanese, I've tried occasionally to communicate with the half-*** Japanese that I know, it's never gone south for me. I suggest trying to bridge the gap or just add a cool face ˆˆ \('ω ') (/Д') etc.
After all..as a language/country we did invade THEIR game...whether or not SE made it for them first, we can't blame them. JP usually keep to themselves and are very polite. As NA players in general, some come across very arrogant or very rude.

I've had all kinds of experience with jp players as with NA/EU/CL (CL = Chilean players, yeah I am from Chile, but I include myself in the list :P) players... You'll find noobs on all ends, arrogant ***, and of course nice people! That's the diversity of the world...

but I have to strongly disagree in the "INVADE their" game part. We didn't invade ***. We got invited by a jp company called SE. We bought the game, just as they did and we pay our montly fee as they do.
Besides how many jp players from the grand total of current jp players, do play from those years. I'd say less than 10%, of course I have no basis to say this % it's just an arbitrary number... but I am pretty sure they are the lesser percentile.
I try to be open minded, and accept ppl from wherever they are... I've done sky with chinese ppl, who aren't gil sellers, they play for fun just like we do. They happen to be from certain country where most gil sellers come from and they have to live with that prejudice. I hate being prejudged, so I try not to do it. I'd appreciate if jp/na/eu/cl/ch/ hell even ppl from faroe island would not be predisposed from the language I speak.
 Valefor.Ghuda
Server: Valefor
user: Ghuda
By Valefor.Ghuda 2009-04-19 02:45:35
Link | Quote | Reply

If all the Jp move to their own server...who is gonna save all the besieged hostages :P
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8